Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Watched this at the theater in the US; I typically like Nolan and adore Inception but found this one pretty disappointing. Biggest complaint was that I found the action to be disorienting in a not-fun way. The movie’s central conceit allows for some cool concepts for action scenes, but personally my brain couldn’t keep up with all the moving parts well enough to keep up with the big picture and, you know, have fun.

Also nthing the complaints about dialogue being tough to hear. Not sure if I’d have been able to follow the plot better with subtitles or not.

Full disclosure, I did have a splitting headache the whole time, which isn’t the optimal way to see any movie, much less this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

McCloud posted:

Our sound was fine, maybe you guys just have lovely theatres? :shrug:

If like half to two-thirds of people have this complaint, there’s something not right. I watch pretty much every movie at the same theater and it hasn’t been a recurring thing. I’ve read a couple of professional reviews that mentioned the dialogue being tough to understand as well.

Did anyone see it in IMAX? How was the sound mix for that?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I think the scene where I remember the poor mix standing out the most is whenever Branagh is expositing about his cooperation with the future people and what their agenda is. I think I got the gist of it, but don’t think I understood half of the actual lines.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Justin Godscock posted:

It isn't opening in America until this weekend, what you are reading are people that saw an international release like myself.

I saw it in Texas on Monday, which is when advance screenings started.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Cacator posted:

I've been wondering if the final set piece would have been enjoyable to watch if I had any idea who was shooting at who, what the "temporal pincer movement" was supposed to accomplish, or what they were doing there in the first place.

Yeah this was kind of every action set-piece in the movie for me. These action scenes are, by design, disorienting the first time around and then at least partially explain confusing elements when our protagonists revisit them. However, even when the protagonists do their second or third runs through the same window of time, it seems like they rarely do anything really clever or take real advantage of their knowledge of how things are going to unfold, which seems like kind of a waste of the conceit of the movie.

I'll also say that the reveal we get at the end is both kind of predictable and kind of a rehash of Memento's themes. But, Nolan repeating themes isn't really anything new.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Sep 3, 2020

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Yeah I think the money is definitely on the screen for this one, especially knowing that when you see big vehicles crashing into each other Nolan's just shooting actual big vehicles crashing into each other.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Knowing what a perfectionist Nolan is, I find it probable that he knew this mix might be difficult for people to understand when it went out the door. I can kind of understand the logic of wanting to keep the audience on its heels and always feeling a couple of steps behind plot-wise and mechanics-wise, but I sure wish he'd found a less frustrating way to accomplish that. I mean it's not an Altman movie where people are just chit-chatting and the feel of the conversation is more important than the content- almost every line in this movie is exposition that's ostensibly for the audience's benefit.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

The guys running into battle backwards absolutely felt like parody. I honestly couldn't tell who was coming and who was going the whole time, despite some effort to establish who was who with the colored armbands.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I guess another thing I’ll clarify is that I’m sure every piece of the plot fits. I’m sure I can go back and watch two or three more times with the subtitles on and what’s happening in the opera cold open and what they’re trying to accomplish at the airport the first time and the whole chronology of the fight at the end will all eventually make sense if I put the work into it. However, this is the first of Nolan’s movies where the prospect of doing that work doesn’t really excite me or seem like a rewarding project, and it seems like that means something.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

The whole thing about you're annihilated if you touch your double is a real un-fired Chekhov's gun.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

pairofdimes posted:

This is only in theaters right now right? Even in the US where theaters aren't open for the most part? I want to see this but I don't really want to get infected just for a movie.

Theaters in the US are largely open except for California and New York

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

MaoistBanker posted:

TENET is going to fall down the memory hole faster than any big budget production in modern history.

That’s a pretty bold statement in a world with stuff like Mortal Engines, King Kong 2005, and Ben Hur 2016, and Legend of Tarzan.

Tenet will have a healthy take industry surrounding it for the coming weeks/months and a full-on re-evaluation cycle a few years later. It’s not good, but that’s incidental to the amount of conversation about it.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Sep 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

smoobles posted:

I feel like the "theaters only" release is going to backfire hard here. I went at 7pm Friday to a private screening (FYI, Cinemark is doing them and it's a great deal with 8+ friends) and the entire place was empty except for us.

I don’t know what WB’s strategy is here, but I can’t imagine they released it in the US without having a pretty good idea of what kind of numbers it would do. May be that it makes sense as a write-off for whatever reason, or that it made sense to get it out in the international market even at the expense of a meager domestic gross.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Sep 7, 2020