Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I recall the first Inception teaser before Star Trek 09 and feeling confused and hyped. I guess that's the angle of approach he enjoys audiences having.

I'm ready. Mostly I'm ready for the final minute of this film when everything reaches a crescendo and its like do dodododo this this that this boom and the audience is like what no
oh
my
gosh
nolan you nasty boy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Oh interesting, yeah. I mean, I was in New Zealand for what that's worth. Maybe it was in front of another film. Ah well. Interesting post, mate, thanks!

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

TENET was exactly my vibe and I loved it. A puzzle box, cold spy aesthetic, my boy Robbo P!, Sir Michael confused eating. It really messes with my head a little when I read why a film is dumb when the reasons given are things that I think "Well, yeah, but meh." because it reminds me we can sort of choose to like things more than we pretend to when we type about them on the internet? I don't know. I guess I'm more lenient with plot holes and thin characterization than others but all taste is subjective and its all fine anyway!

Here's a really good explanation of the car chase scene. I found it while trying to figure out where the mcguffin ended up (its just sitting loose in the protags saab he jumps into to start his reverse-time sequence so the presumption is baddie simply collects it in forward time).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5s-nVUjcsQ

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

gregday posted:

I am 100% convinced the CIA call/response code phrase is a reference to Pattinson being in this movie.
How so?
e: We live in a Twilight world oh yip

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I feel self conscious about liking this film so much when its fans are all nolan 2deep4u fanbros but meh. I like twisty stories, i like time travel stories and i like puzzle box stories. If anything, Tenet reminds me of a graphical adventure game with the way the characters interact with key objects. It would make a rue interactive fiction text adventure game now that i think of it. But one of my favourite things about its world is how the entire tenet organization is both invisible to the rest of us muggles and will eventually fold in on itself, disappearing without accolade. This is something bitter and quiet.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

I do like the idea of there being a faction that doesn't even exist yet but exists in the future which is your opponent, and you don't really know much about them as a result but you still have to fight them.

Fear of the unknown and all that, gives me like Three-Body Problem vibes. Some cool sci-fi concepts there.

Like I mentioned before, its like a less dumb version of Roko's Basilisk.
Yeah, when I think of this film, I can't help but feel it would have made a great novella. Something long enough to tell the story but just short enough as not to get up its own rear end with exposition. I mean, I loved the 3BP and hooned through series during lockdown but my goodness that book loved walls of texts like some golden age sci-fi or old text adventure. The coolest element in Tenet was the unknown future faction loving with causity in order to revengekill current civ because we are not handling climate change at all. That's a good bit.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

A few years ago, there was a half-silly post in CD about a potential tv/streaming version set in the TENET universe.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

Neil is there, right? I figured P was there with him. Its not explicitly shown but it figures. I guess he could have sent Neil alone
Egh, ockham's razor, if he isn't shown he isn't there. but i suppose you are reminding me of how much we each intuit what we don't see - especially when it comes to character relationships. if you feel he may have been there with neil, after all they are a duo, then probably maybe others do too. and its interesting that, not only do we make up our own minds about whats going on on an inference level, we are all pretty blind to the other perspectives unless we heard them.

i was watching the opera set piece again last night at 3am because what is this reality and i had to pull up a pdf of the script. that whole bit is actually quite dense with all its machinations. we have;
1. Ukrainian swat
2. American imbeds pretending to be Ukrainian swat
3. Ukrainian muscle working with the Americans, ''ours'',
4. Private Russian mercenaries, who are also hiding in the Ukrainian swat. its actually unclear if they are aware of tenet/the-time-war, because knowledge divided.
5. the peeps hired to stage the attack on the opera, who may or may not be directly the private Russian mercenaries but are most likely hired locals who are unaware of the Russians plot
6. the 'cheap seats', whose potential deaths are just a smokescreen for the fancy dressed man who has 'almost made contact', most likely with uhhh Sator's group of arm dealers.

at the very end of the scene, when the algorithm and the american imbeds escapes through the sewers, a cia imbed is pretending to be the fancy man, along with P, run back into the van to not raise the suspicion of faction 3, the Ukrainian muscle hired by the cia. but they are already comprised and were going to shoot the fancy man anyway. but then there is a secondary twist where this same faction is actually working for the cia all along and, when the events occured as they did, staged a culling of the cia field agents as P's initiation test at the train yard.

It's one of my favourite set pieces of the film, very tightly scripted and sets up the tone of the film. and it does the thing that nolan does well where it just glosses over a bunch of stupid complicated backstabbing so you can just turn off your brain and enjoy it but all the action is still corresponding to actual factional motivations.

i don't know, maybe this is just enjoyable to write about and is full of holes too so sorry about that. i will say my favourite silly moment of the film is when the peeps attacking the opera start overtly smashing up the classical instruments. its so showy and kinda makes sense considering its meant to be noisy and intimidating but its not really a proper attack.

[url]=//www.app.studiobinder.com/company/580e85847e7982164664e844/collab/607884f033edb830eca88d51/projects/6050e6a7379a887a0cff1dbf/document/6050e6b1aa39734c2aacbf61]tenet script[/url]

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Zachack posted:

What comes across as weird once written down is that the bullet (assuming it came from the distant future and not near-term inversion) was made in (say) 2100, bounced around backwards for 80 years, and then is at the lab for the sequence. It's also functionally useless in "forward" time - it can't be fired because it has to wait for the past - but at some point Tenet has to lose control of it so it can move forward to when it got inverted*.

*in theory since Tenet creates itself it's possible that Tenet inverted the bullet in the near future to get it into the lab for it to be fired.
Yeah see this is directly my poo poo. Not even apologetic about it. Just the idea of a ever-sprawling time-war that may or may not become big enough and loud enough for the general public to become aware of. I like the idea of timey-wimey stuff.

Like if the research lab tech. was well aware that at some point they are going to lose control of the lab somehow and the battle isn't over, but it's not really a case of evacuating it right now but rather a sullen quiet knowing that they will still fight to defend it, she may die, and they will still lose it. It's like certain Western interpretations of the Tao.

This source is called darkness.
Darkness born from darkness.
The beginning of all understanding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Terror Sweat posted:

make sure 90 percent of the cast has an accent
Which accent is correct?