Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I had to travel over an hour to see this movie as there are no theaters in Portland that are open. There were 2 other people in the theater, we were all wearing masks, and all sat pretty far apart form each other.

The dialogue was kind of difficult to hear but this was an old theater so I'm not 100% sure if it was the mixing or the equipment (maybe both?). I forgot how nice the moviegoing experience was. No distractions, just you & the screen. There are a couple theaters in Portland that are renting out screens for private viewing and I'm trying to get a small group together to see some films.

As for Tenet... I liked it? It was a little confusing and the dialogue issues were present, but I felt a little clever figuring out that it was The Protagonist from the future at the Oslo Freeport. If you remember that the movie is about people going through time in reverse you start looking for the tells Neil grabbing the vehicle and trying to warn The Protagonist by honking the horn should've been obvious as soon as you heard the horn earlier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Besides the 1989 Tim Burton Batman the only other movie that captured the grime of Gotham City well was Joker.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Chappers posted:

Maybe it's because it had been nine months since I had been to a theater, but I saw it over the weekend (sold-out, socially-distanced IMAX in suburban Tokyo) and that opening scene got me PUMPED! The music, the energy. The number of extras who probably spent a whole week on set pretending to be asleep. And I think I rode that high for the rest of the film.

I went in blind. Never saw the trailer, didn't even know the premise. Glad I didn't. But also, about 40 minutes in, I realized, "This is going to be the kind of film in which the more I think about it later, the more it falls apart." So I decided to enjoy the spectacle.

Why oh why wasn't the climactic battle the opera again? Seems like a huge missed opportunity.

For Neil it is.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
The event was an orchestra concert held at an opera house. The orchestra is on the main stage instead of their own orchestra pit, signaling they were the main attraction.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I mean, you technically get your time back, but only by watching the film in reverse.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Christopher Nolan: if I make this movie confusing enough, people will pay money to see this multiple times in the theater to try to piece the plot together! We'll make millions!!

Also Nolan: what do you mean people can't go to movie theaters?!?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Important to have that part of Sator's character Ars or else you'd almost agree with his reasoning for using the bombs gah the global warming reasoning is dumb AF.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Windows Movie House will be showing Tenet tomorrow, likely around 10pm EST/7pm PST.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I'm watching it now and no, I don't believe Sator at the end is inverted.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Payndz posted:

If being clipped by an inverted bullet would still kill you with Time Radiation, breathing in inverted gunsmoke should be like a lifetime 5000-a-day habit with added plutonium.

(And yes, the same would be true of smelling an inverted fart.)

The secret reason inverted folks wear gas masks.

Something about air not working with inverted lungs either.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Inception is on Windows Movie House again and I feel its surreal mind-bending concept is stronger and better executed than Tenant's.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
My random playlist spit out this classic & I've been listening to the album a lot lately.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZE5zXLOyEOQ

Going with Ludwig Göransson was a bold choice.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Considering how Nolan uses women in his stories… I'll allow it (provided the relationship stays the same & never gets romantic).

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I love how Arrival used the same Bill & Ted time logic during its climax.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Tenet is on HBO HD right now on the West Coast and I'm going to watch it with subtitles on and the audio blasting (relatively) loudly.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
:lmao: Watching it now on HBO and half of the boat race isn't closed captioned.

Nolan must hate his audience.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I think people are confused/upset since Nolan's last 2 movies (Interstellar and Dunkirk) are relatively accurate in terms of science/history. Tenet is back to more Inception where the crux of the technology is not explained and now we have almost 30 pages of discourse over it.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Remember how I mentioned Tenet was on HBO last night so I decided to watch it? Apparently yesterday was also the movie's premiere in HBO MAX. To commemorate it The Ringer's The Big Picture podcast did a live watch podcast Rifftrax-style. I may watch it again with the podcast commentary this weekend.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Android Apocalypse posted:

Remember how I mentioned Tenet was on HBO last night so I decided to watch it? Apparently yesterday was also the movie's premiere in HBO MAX. To commemorate it The Ringer's The Big Picture podcast did a live watch podcast Rifftrax-style. I may watch it again with the podcast commentary this weekend.

Finally got around to watching this with The Big Picture podcast Rifftrax'ing. Doesn't help explain that much that I already learned from this thread. Then again I don't get too hung up on the plot holes in this movie.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Seen on r/simpsonsshitposts and was incredibly prevalent to this thread:

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Halloween Jack posted:

Apropos of nothing, the fight choreography far surpasses the Batman trilogy.

Damning with faint praise.
https://i.imgur.com/MjIk45y.mp4
(Goon on the far left background)

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
My favorite theory in the movie isn't "Neil is young Max" but "Ives is a young Crosby."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
What a coincidence this thread popped back up to the top of my bookmarks, considering what happened during soundtrack collaborator Travis Scott's concert today.