Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

gregday posted:

Any time an object is inverted it’s “traveling backwards from the future”. I’m not seeing how it’s different whether it’s in a box.

Because you know its future. It had to be sitting in the box to reach the past, if you pick it up then it gets interrupted between being put in the box in the future and you seeing it in the box in the past.

I suppose maybe it could be possible if whoever you sold the gold to ended up burying it in the same box... but that's insanely contrived.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

gregday posted:

Maybe my brain is completely broken at this point, but I just don’t see how inverting gold and sending it into the past in a time capsule is any different than how inverted bullets get (un)shot.

If you were in the future and saw the bullet was sitting somewhere un-fired, and then you travelled into the past and saw the bullet was un-fired, and then travelled to any point in time in-between,

You would absolutely NOT be able to shoot that bullet, no matter what you did.

Right?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Boris Galerkin posted:

I really don’t understand why taking the gold bar out of the box would break causality.

I know you don't, but please trust us its true. To understand, read the last few pages of the thread. Not much point repeating everything.

How did the bar get there?

Things moving both directions is confusing to wrap your head around.

E: Okay I thought of another good thought expiriment

You're in the year 2021. You have $10.
At 2023, you travel back to 2022, and rob yourself of $10.
You return to 2023.
Do you now have $20?

You can't. Time travel doesn't duplicate things. You have $10, because that's all that ever was. By taking the money away from yourself in 2022 though, it means you must have ALREADY been robbed by 2023.

If in the year 2023 you still have your $10, then you CANNOT rob yourself in 2022. Its already happened, and you already didn't do it.

If the gold reaches the year 2020, it means it wasn't removed in 2021. That is always true of every point in time, meaning you can't remove the gold while travelling forward in time, only if you are inverted.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 19:46 on May 11, 2021

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Boris Galerkin posted:

The bar got there because someone in the future put it there, and nobody in any point from that time until present day found it.

For that to be true, you can't remove the gold bar.

If you remove the gold bar, someone found the gold between when it was put there and when you opened the box up to see gold. (yourself in the future)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

One theory I read that actually makes the motivations of future people make sense is that the device they sent back is part of a thing that would invert the earth itself which would reverse ecological collapse but would seriously gently caress things up coherence-wise so they have to erase the past to rewind the earth.

Yeaaaah the only way that works though is if continuity and causality simply do not loving exist, in which case how does any of the time travel mechanics work? It literally contradicts everything.

But I could definitely see something where people in the future are trying to extend their otherwise doomed lives by simply living time in reverse.

The problem there is there's no need for some doomsday "algorithm", you'd just have increasing numbers of future travellers showing up in our time while inverted. The whole earth would become overrun with inverted people. And then its like, have they been here all along?

Actually, that'd be a weird but cool sci-fi ending. It ends up the people of the future create a massive time-inversion machine and then invert themselves but launch into space.

It ends up that inverted humans were living on Mars this whole time, going backwards, hiding from us.

The movie ends in the year 300,000 B.C. as an inverted future human lands on Earth from Mars and sees backwards moving homo sapiens. They build an entire backwards-travelling society that exists until the year 13.7 billion B.C. and then their society is destroyed in the Big Bang, which ends up being the end of the universe and not the beginning.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Boris Galerkin posted:

But this isn’t the same example because it’s fundamentally different. You’re talking about time travel. I’m talking about moving in the -t direction.

:psyduck:

What do you think time travel is? They're the same thing.

Boris Galerkin posted:

The point is we’re all time travelers. It’s just that we’re all traveling “forward” in time.

You yourself said this!

Boris Galerkin posted:

Also, Sator never had the gold to begin with so your example doesn’t fit.

Oh my god, Boris. Its a thought experiment to help you understand the temporal paradox. No, it isn't the exact same situation! That's the point! You're having trouble understanding Sator's situation so I gave you one that's more straightforward. Once you understand the concept, then you should be able to apply it to the more complicated situation that Sator is in.

I'm trying here man! You're making this hard.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Boris Galerkin posted:

If he takes it out in 2021 and inverts it, and a year elapses and it’s 2022 then there is no gold in the box. There doesn’t need to be gold in the box. By 2022, the gold bar will have aged 101 years, assuming it was mined and created in 2121. 100 years moving “backwards,” 1 year moving “forward.”

If its 2022 an there's no gold in the box how does he take the gold out in 2021?

There MUST be gold in 2022 for Sator to get it in 2021 because the gold is inverted! Otherwise how does it get there in 2021?

To have gold someplace, either you take normal gold and put it there beforehand, or you take inverted gold and put it there later on. But either way somebody has to put the gold there for it to be there. It can't just BE. And if you prevented someone from putting it there, it can't still be there.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Boris Galerkin posted:

What I meant by saying I’m talking about moving in the -t direction is that I’m seeing it as nothing more than moving in the -x direction vs +x direction.

We know that in order for someone to travel backwards in time in the movie, they have to actually let that same amount of time elapse. So I don’t see that as time travel in the sense of popping up somewhere in the past. If you’re 30 years old in 2021 and decide to travel to 2011, you’ll “arrive” then but now you’re 40 years old because 10 years needed to elapse. You don’t magically turn 20.

Of course, but that's entirely irrelevant to this issue. The point is you can end up in 2020, then 2022, then 2021, in that order. Right? Your apparent age does not matter lol.

Boris Galerkin posted:

So the gold bar doesn’t need to still be in the box in 2022 if Sator takes it out in 2021.

It absolutely 100% does. How does aging over time mean you can create paradoxes??

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

gregday posted:

To continue with the example of a living thing. No the person wouldn't be 40, but they would appear to you to begin the backwards journey at 40, and by the time your forward time counted up to 2021, they would have reversed back to 30 at the point where they inverted.

:psyduck:

That's what Boris means y'all are just looking at it from different perspectives.

But Boris is wrong about the gold.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

stratdax posted:

I mean the movie explicitly shows you're wrong about the gold. Time travel isn't real, the idea of it working one way is perfectly logical but another is a paradox doesn't make sense. This is the way the movie says time travel works, so in Tenet's universe, it isn't impossible. It Just Works (TM).

Ps the movie is bad and self contradictory to the point where they literally tell you not to think about it. Just do what the movie suggests. The Calvinball approach to time travel.

I mean, yeah, but that's sorta missing the point? The movie sets rules and contradicts them, so we're analyzing the discrepancy.

Of course you're free to throw your hands up and say "whatever, its dumb, who cares"

But we care :)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Boris Galerkin posted:

I don’t know. You’re telling me that something the film explicitly shows is impossible despite the fact that the film explicitly showed it happening in a scene that was in the movie of which we’re talking about.

But yeah, I must be wrong?

I’ll concede I’m wrong if the movie supports that but the movie doesn’t. Sator is rich, and presumably the future antagonists help him become rich by telling him what to do and sending him gold from the future. This is a thing that happened in a scene in the movie. And we can safely assume he is able to trade the gold for cash because having bars of gold is useless.

The point of all this is the movie contradicts itself.

I can believe in a movie with dragons or time travel but it needs to be internally consistent (oh my god am I sick of this argument)

You're saying that doublethink is fine because the movie itself has doublethink. I mean, nobody is doubting that is what happens in the film. We're just saying it contradicts itself.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I actually have a lot of fun with these scenarios and goofing around with the idea of this movie. It's a fascinating idea and famously, Feynman diagrams that describe quantum interactions have no directional time component in them, they can be run either way. What frustrates me is that even though they clearly did a lot of work and came up with some fascinating scenarios (the Inverted Man sequence is an all-timer to me) they also dropped the ball in really strange ways.

I think my next post is going to be talking about Kat's Cell Phone and the two ways that you could send yourself information from the future.

This is also how I feel about Interstellar

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Boris Galerkin posted:

Either way, no matter what timestep you choose, no matter how fast your computer is the time on the clock on the wall still elapses at the same rate. Which is how I think the “time travel” works in the movie because they tell us that the protagonists have to wait in a box and wait for 1 “wall clock” week to pass for them to go back in time. It’s just that their timestep is now -dt. There is some time counter that is always incrementing, and you’re either going +dt or -dt at every increment.

Once again, this is obviously true and something we all agree on, but irrelevant to the issue of the paradoxes being discussed.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Rare triple post in the wild. Love it.

Yeah sorry, but I'm half phone posting and its too much of a pain to format. Plus this is a deep dive discussion, and anybody who isn't interested has left the thread long ago. So gently caress it :)

Maybe I'm not actually triple posting, but a future version of myself who is inverted sent the other message :tinfoil:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Boris Galerkin posted:

If this is obvious and true then it absolutely matters because there is no paradox. The gold bar was put into the box in say 2121 at a location of Sator’s choosing. The gold in the box has a -dt timestep. It ages 100 years in the box until Sator takes it out and inverts it back to +dt timesteps. What happens to the gold now does not matter anymore. It doesn’t need to still be in the box in 2122. “What’s happened happened” or whatever.

The thing is inverting it back to +dt timesteps doesn't erase its history.

It seems consistent to you (I've fallen in this trap myself before, this poo poo is counter-intuitive) but you're effectively erasing the bar's past.

Lets say the bar is in the box at time T+2, moving backwards at -dt.

You are at T-2 and walk towards the box, arriving at T-1, then (moving forwards at +dt) grab the bar at T. You put it in your pocket, moving at +dt.

You now walk away, and since you are moving +dt you are now at T+1. The bar is now in your pocket. The bar is now therefor NOT in the box at T+1. But, how did the bar get from T+2 to T if it wasn't in the box at T+1 for you to grab at T?

"What's happened happened" doesn't mean you get to have multiple timelines. Everything has to be simultaneously true.

If it works the way you think, there either needs to be some Back To The Future style "multiple-timelines" (but there isn't in TENET) OR grabbing the gold bar would duplicate it and there'd still be a second gold bar in the box, which makes no sense.

At T+1 there is only one gold bar, and it is in the box, so it cannot possibly be in your pocket. (note that, if you do a full loop using a turnstile, you CAN have two of something, but that's different)

It shouldn't be possible to move the bar unless you are inverted. If you're moving +dt the second you touch the bar you invalidate the bar's past (your future) where the bar wasn't moving.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 23:16 on May 11, 2021

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Kazzah posted:

Honestly, the inverted bullets in the glass bug me way more than the reverse dead-drops

Yeah, I questioned the full logic of the bullets myself after just watching the movie, but it wasn't until I joined the thread discussion that I realized the gold doesn't work.

There's a lot of problems really.

Anything that gets inverted needs to either end up in a turnstile at some point in the past, or otherwise will travel through the past forever back to the dawn of time. And then you need a good explanation for how that object wasn't ever seen in past years. (Being sufficiently buried could work though)

Like why has nobody in the year 1800 ever found an inverted object? It requires the TENET group to collect and un-invert everything sent back. Is that plausible?

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 05:33 on May 12, 2021

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Boris Galerkin posted:

If you walk forward 10 steps and then walk backwards 20 steps then you’ve walked a total of 30 steps. The act of walking backwards doesn’t erase the fact that you walked forward. The fact that you’ve ended up 10 steps behind where you started doesn’t invalidate the fact that you’ve also been 10 steps ahead of where you started. If a bus were to hit you at some point during the time you were walking backwards (thereby removing you from the equation) that doesn’t change the fact that you’ve walked forward 10 steps before that point in the past, all it does is make you unable to continue walking backwards. No history gets erased.

No history gets erased because there's no time travel in that scenario!

Lmao you just told me "that's completely different" and now you're inventing a scenario where you're running, in constant time, and you're saying that disproves a time paradox that involves travelling back in time and stopping yourself from doing something? No! That's a complete non-sequitur!

Consider this, on the other hand:

You walk forward 10 steps. Then you travel back in time, and place yourself 5 steps ahead of yourself before you start walking. Now past you can't walk 10 steps because you're standing in the way. So your past was erased.

There has to be a PARADOX. The gold has a paradox. Other things don't. It requires a careful scenario which creates a contradiction. Not everything is a contradiction.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Do you have the same issue with the premise of the inverted characters sitting in a non-inverted shipping container for 7 days to go back in time? They take themselves out of the box after 7 days and invert again and their history doesn’t get erased. That 7 days inverted in a shipping container is part of their history. The fact that they removed themselves from the container after 7 days doesn’t create a paradox like you keep insisting taking the gold out of the box would. How is it any different?

No, why would I? You really really aren't getting the issue here, are you. Time inversion is not an inherent paradox. Picking up an inverted object whose past (your future) you already know while you are not inverted is the paradox. Other things that don't involve those exact steps will not invoke a paradox. I really don't know how else to explain this to you. You're just not grokking the concept at all.

You would have to have somebody who is not-inverted interact with you while inside the shipping container to even remotely come close to the same scenario. If somebody who is not-inverted opens the shipping container and sees that you are not inside it, after seeing you leave the shipping container while inverted earlier, then we have a problem.

Boris Galerkin posted:

You can say that the gold bar thing was a throwaway line that an insignificant amount of time was spent thinking about but the entire principle of “invert yourself, stow away somewhere for 1 day/week/year to go back backwards in time for 1 day/week/year” is established in the movie as a pretty significant thing. I highly doubt that Nolan got that part wrong since it’s a main principle of the movie. So the only logical conclusion is that you are wrong about your understanding of the gold bar.

You're seriously making the argument "There can't be a conflict in TENET because Nolan is smart" ? :psyduck:

Dude comeon, all kinds of amazing movies have plot holes. That's just silly.

And again, there is ZERO problem with being inverted in a shipping container. You're just not getting it, dude.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 18:26 on May 12, 2021

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Sir Kodiak posted:

Because when they walk out of the shipping container, they're walking out of the shipping container from the perspective of someone moving into the past, because they're inverted. If you were to watch them in regular time, they would walk backwards into the shipping container and then sit there for a week, doing everything in reverse. So there's nothing paradoxical about believing they travelled into the past using the shipping container: you can literally watch them do it.

In contrast, think about forward-moving Sator removing an inverted gold bar from the box. He's moving forward in time, so when he carries the gold bar out of the box, he's moving it away from the box in his future, moving forward in time. But his future is the bar's past, because it's inverted. Therefore, the bar's past must have been to be with Sator, not to be in the box.

Precisely correct.

Nice diagrams.

Sir Kodiak posted:

The basic problem is that, in the Protagonist's incorrect theory, the gold bar has to do a turnaround without a turnstile.

Exactly. Also why I keep saying that if you are inverted when you collect the gold bar, it works fine, because then you go into a turnstile with the bar and everything is consistent.

But if you aren't inverted, then you've created a gold bar with two pasts and no future. That's wrong.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Zachack posted:

It's no surprise that the complete loving dullards in CD can't work out the intricate puzzlebox that Nolan constructed, but I'll spell it out for you, with as many small words as possible:

Sator puts the box in the ground, sends a signal.
Future people get signal location, dig up box, put inverted gold in inverted box five feet deeper. This is called The Pledge
Inverted box travels backwards through time.
Inverted box reaches Sator's time, keeps going back in time.
Box reaches 1890s, keeps going into distant past
Simultaneously, Nikolai Tesla activates his duplication machine and makes a duplicate of the Box, but the Box moves forward in time. This is called The Turn
Tesla places the new Box in a time-locked, spring-loaded, false-bottom container that sits above the inverted Box, which is where it's always been.
New Box moves forward in time
Sator buries box inside the false-bottom container that he doesn't know about, but the future does.
False-bottom activates, drops empty Box into the space above inverted box, dirt falls too covering the Sator Box.
Springs simultaneously push the new Box a couple feet foward into the Sator Box space
Sator digs up regular gold, gets rich. This is called The Illusionist.

poo poo you got me there

Tesla inventing the turnstiles honestly makes way too much sense :allears:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Sir Kodiak posted:

He just leaves out an inversion step. So it's not even so much wrong as incomplete. Of course, this assumes he has a turnstile, which he wouldn't early on (presumably).

Yeah I was thinking the same thing earlier, the movie doesn't demonstrate definitively that he isn't inverted when getting the gold, so he very well could be. (and with a non-inverted note he wouldn't even have to come back later)

However; there's still a problem there when it comes to the future sending him instructions the first time. That originates in the future, so must be inverted, and we see him take it out of the box I'm pretty sure.

You could kinda make it work if Sator simply opened the box, read the note, then closed the box and sealed it underground, leaving it still in there.

BTW your charts are on point.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

stratdax posted:

To me the gold is the same as the bullet in the wall. Bullet gets shot by an inverted person with an inverted gun in the future (presumably during the final battle in the movie, where they shoot a lot of walls. Let's say 2022 for simplicity). Bullet is chillin' in the wall to some point in the past (Let's say 2015, why not). The lady scientist (I guess the Tenet organization?) finds the wall and cuts it out and brings it to the lab (in 2020). Well now it's in two places at once. They keep screwing around with it while they're not inverted but the bullet is. From the bullet's perspective, in 2020 it's in a wall in a lab, and in a wall in a quarry.

No? Am I wrong? I saw the movie once, in what seems like ages ago.

Its not exactly the same, and the bullet is inverted in the future as a complete bullet and then sent back to be fired once. not fired, found, and unfired.

But you're right that if you think about it the bullets have issues too.

Unfortunately lots of science gets complicated to the point where these things shouldn't probably work, like does the inverted car use inverted air? IDK.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Zachack posted:

What comes across as weird once written down is that the bullet (assuming it came from the distant future and not near-term inversion) was made in (say) 2100, bounced around backwards for 80 years, and then is at the lab for the sequence. It's also functionally useless in "forward" time - it can't be fired because it has to wait for the past - but at some point Tenet has to lose control of it so it can move forward to when it got inverted*. That said, this is almost the solution to the gold problem: Sator can pick up the inverted gold if he always picked it up. The future doesn't have to bury the gold, it just has to have a way of tracking it from the past so that they can find and invert the same pre-inverted bars, and gold bars are a pretty reliable way of doing this if you assume they stay as gold bars stored somewhere after Sator digs them up and sells them. The only part that doesn't make sense is digging a hole and putting the box in, as the gold should already be there.

*in theory since Tenet creates itself it's possible that Tenet inverted the bullet in the near future to get it into the lab for it to be fired.

Yep this is all right. I was considering the same. If it comes from the past somehow then its all gravy.

But the future people having people in the past to help sator just abstracts away the issue a little.

And you could even go so far as to say protagonist buried the gold for sator, not the future, because he knew it already happened, but that's getting mega contrived.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The part on the blue line where “Sator places [buries] the empty capsule” is redundant. He’d just be burying an empty box, then digging it up, just to bury it again.

No, it has to work like that. This is why you also have to be inverted and use a turnstile afterwards.

Lets say he doesn't "put the box down, then invert, then open it and take out the gold"

How does this work in your view? Think it through. Consider all the consequences.

What you're saying is that Sator should show up and then suddenly the gold bar appears??, and then he puts the gold bar into the box and buries it?
Then that means he doesn't have the gold bar. That's sending a gold bar into the future, not getting a bar from the future.

Or he gets there and the gold bar appears and he takes it out and buries the empty box? Then how did the gold bar appear there if it wasn't in the box in the future?

You're creating a scenario where something has to just "pop into existence" which doesn't work.

Its not redundant because the ENTIRE point of that graph that Sir Kodiak made was to show that Sator has to be inverted to collect the gold, which was the conversation we were having. The chart depicts this very clearly. And that's the only thing that is completely consistent with no paradoxes. Ignoring that to say "Wrong! Redundant!" seem really weird dude; and it isn't accurate. The context here matters a lot.

we’re specifically shown the exact opposite happening with the bulldozer.

The movie has contradictions. There's no point arguing this over and over and over and over. Either accept it or ignore us.

We’re also shown that things are much weirder than a few sentences can convey - because if the technician can make bullets fly “towards” her hand just by (somehow) remembering to unpush them, then it’s likely possible for Sator to change the gold’s past and his own future by simply choosing not to (un)bury it.

NO!

The bullet's past DOES NOT CHANGE because the protagonist does not know the future yet!

Nothing can EVER change in TENET. If it can literally nothing works and nothing can ever be consistent. The ONE universal truth of this movie is that THERE ARE NO ALTERNATE TIMELINES.

This is where you guys aren't understanding that the bullet scenario is not remotely the same as the gold scenario. The gold has a paradox that the bullet doesn't.

E: This is literally the point of the bullet scene. Protagonist tries to un-drop the bullet and it doesn't work because he didn't do it in the future. It works the second time because he did do it in the future. You don't get to choose not to do it.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 18:45 on May 13, 2021

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

One way to conceptualize these interactions is that, every time a character sees an inverted thing, they are technically prophesying that thing’s future. When a character manipulates an inverted object, they are altering its past to match that ‘predetermined’ future. So although people try to rationalize it as some blandly deterministic universe where everything is locked in place, we have this additional layer of complexity where everything is in constant flux, because decisions in the present affect past and future simultaneously.

If this was true everything that happens in the movie doesn't matter because you can just go back and do it again and change it.

Sator got the gold? poo poo, well, take 2 everybody, lets invert again and go take the gold back.

He still got it? Okay, 3rd time's the charm.

The entire conceit of the movie is the fatalism of once something has happened it cannot be un-made even if you travel through time. That is fundamental.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

He would just put inverted gold in the box and bury it. That's the same action minus the redundancy.

Sator is GETTING gold, not sending gold. How are you that far off base? That is literally the whole problem. He has to go from no gold to having gold, not the other way around.

If he puts inverted gold in a box, he's sending it backwards. How does he now spend the gold he just put in a box?

Whether Sator is inverted or not is fairly irrelevant, since normal people can interact with inverted objects (and vice-versa) without much difficulty.

As for where the inverted gold "comes from", it either pops into existence spontaneously, as the bullets do, or it pops into existence from out of a time machine.

Its not, because you know the future of the gold HAS to be that its in the box in order to arrive in the past. You don't always know the future of an inverted object. We've discussed this like 5 times now and you're just refusing to listen to it.

The bullets do not pop into existence spontaneously. Where are you getting that?

ACTUALLY!!!

I did not write anything about "alternate timelines"; I am referring to iterations of the loop. It is possible to modify the loop through actions that change both past and future simultaneously. This should be understandable to anyone who's seen Terminator 2.

Okay, this is a semantic misunderstanding then. To me, if thing A happens, then you go back in time and stop it from happening, that's an "alternate timeline"

Back To The Future rules, where you can change something and alter the future, that's "alternate timelines"

There is, as far as I can see, a hard dichotomy here. Either you can't change things (consistent single timeline) or you can (alternate timelines)

Maybe you're working with a definition where "alternate timelines" means "parallel dimensions" or something, but that is not what I mean.

Terminator 2 definitely has alternate timelines. This should be understandable to anybody who understands language. You're just like, not listening, and just keep insisting I'm wrong without actually giving what I'm saying a fair chance. That doesn't make you right.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 00:05 on May 14, 2021

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

You're going in a lot of directions at once, so let's stick to this specific claim for now.

None of the characters come from the future, so we have no 'firsthand' knowledge of the future from which the gold 'originates'. It could be anything.

The standard view of time is that the past is set but the future is open. The conceit of the film is that this is reversed for certain objects.

So, you know the ending of the story, but you can (re)write how it begins, because you're literally just applying physical forces to some magical anti-aging particles.

Yes you can change how it begins! This is why its okay to collect the gold if you're inverted; then you're only changing the gold's future. That certainly isn't set in stone yet!

However; the problem is if you're forward travelling, your future is the gold's past. So you see the gold at one point, which is your past, its future, and then you take it out at another point, your future, its past, and now you've contradicted what was already set in stone, its past.

Normally with inverted objects you don't know their future, so maybe their future *was* that you were holding them all along, and then dropped them. That works. Except the problem is if the gold isn't in the box, its not there for you to pick it up in the first place. In order to pick it up, you must re-write its past, the past that the gold already experienced and was written. You can't do that by the rules.

So as said, only if you're inverted, then your future is also the gold's future; then you're both free to do anything, including go into a turnstile and invert back, and then continue to go into your future which is now the normal future. See?

That doesn't involve re-writing anything. Its fine.

This however requires you to re-write that which has already been experienced by the gold.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 02:30 on May 14, 2021

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

You're writing things very convolutedly just to make a basic assertion like "the past is set in stone!!!". From that assumption, the existence of backwards stuff is taken to mean that "everything is set in stone!!!".

I understand that this is your basic view.

However, if the protagonist takes a bullet that should be made in India in five years, and then keeps it in his pocket for six years, this wouldn't actually contradict anything in the film except some very dubious exposition. He will have simply altered the bullet's origin.

"But he can't do that! He MUST take the bullet to India so it can be made?" Why? The same dubious exposition says he has free will, and this is a fantasy movie about wizards who use spy magic. The bullet can be a magic bullet that has existed since the dawn/end of time.

The bullet and the gold aren't the same. I said that like 2 times.

As I already said, "it works because the movie said so" is basically missing the point. If you don't care if the movie is internally consistent, then we have nothing to discuss. That's fine, but don't keep arguing the logic of it if you don't care about the logic of it.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 19:40 on May 14, 2021

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If what you say is true, then the Protagonist is an idiot and didn't need to kill himself.

Also, he could go back and save Neil, but didn't because he's dumb.

That's your preferred interpretation?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Its Chocolate posted:

thank you. I had the same problem as SMG where I couldn't figure out how the gently caress sending gold back in time to spend would work but this makes perfect sense

Uh huh? SMG is the one who has been arguing there is no gold issue. Kodiak and I were the ones talking about that.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

The issue with the gold story is not that it’s impossible; but that it simply doesn’t work as the characters say it does.

Yes, but as I said, if the gold doesn't work the way they say then all of their actions are stupid and they could have fixed everything trivially but didn't because they don't understand time.

That's not very satisfying of a story to me.

But we do know for sure that his plan involves bouncing the case off a backward-driving car's hood, as one does, and hoping Sator doesn't notice anything odd about that. Also, hoping that Sator (who Protag does not yet know is inverted) will release Kat without first checking the case.

This is the whole movie!

Yeah okay you have me there lol

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

They basically don't care about anything unless some record of it reaches "the future people". But they also insist that the faked jet heist/plane accident/terror attack on one of Sator's main bases won't leave any record, so....

I think its more that its an effective distraction. It looks like a perfectly reasonable occurrence in history, "thieves attempt to rob plane", so the thing going on at the art dealership nearby is ignored by the future people.

Hide in plain sight.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The blue room having reverse oxygen raises the question of why protagonist was able to go to the blue room in oslo and I feel like the answer is written down on some piece of paper somewhere because to get to that room they have to go to a bunch of rooms with choking atmospheres. And I think you are supposed to assume the backwards oxygen vented with the halide gas. when the freeport refilled with air after the "fire". Since it feels like a lot of movie work to make a premise there is two unrelated unbreathable gases in a single building.

Yeah there's a few things like this that feels like there were notes on but it didn't end up making the cut into the final script. But it feels like somebody had ideas here, pretty cool.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Euphoriaphone posted:

Is the Turnstile meant to be two separate circles, or just one large one? I guess it's two because there must be some level of teleportation happening at the moment of inverting. If not, then in the moments leading up to inversion, your Forward and Inverted selves would need to merge into one (before immediately disappearing in the forward chronology).

They don't say much about how the Turnstiles actually work and that's definitely for the better.

I did like that we see a few different designs of turnstile. The dudes preparing for the final assault pincer movement had like a bunch of small parallel turnstile hoppers compared to the big room ones we saw earlier that could fit a car or whatever.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Euphoriaphone posted:

Nolan is particularly bad when it comes to editing car chases

https://vimeo.com/28792404

To be fair, Michael Bay does this poo poo on purpose and people seem to love it :shrug:

But I do prefer to have an idea of what is going on in action scenes myself.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Quick cuts aside, the fighting/choreography in the Bourne flicks is pretty good.

Yeah its a shame though since the shakey cam makes it hard to fully appreciate.

And then it inspired a bunch of other movies to do shakey cam and not bother doing choreography at all.

I'd much rather just have a locked off camera that's pulled back and lets me see where people are in the scene!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

bawfuls posted:

Alternatively if Neil is Max, then Neil must spend like a decade inverted to reach the events of the movie as a 30-something adult or whatever. Either way that's a fuckass long time to live sequestered in a buried shipping container or whatever with a decade's worth of inverted food/water/air.

That's a fun idea, dunno if I buy it.

As for a decade's oxygen, for really long term inversions of years, the answer would be to build an inverted doomsday bunker. As long as you have some inverted trees, the inverted carbon dioxide you exhale could be recycled.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Terror Sweat posted:

My favourite theory is that Nolan hates action movies and practical effects and is trying to destroy their profitability by filming the worst action climaxes possible and making practical explosions incredibly dull.
"Clear action then reaction? No thanks" -christopher nolan

Again, I would say the same about Michael Bay and he does it more blatantly and intentionally and yet audiences love it.

Unfortunately most audiences don't seem to mind poor action scenes, hence so many of them in hollywood.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

The construction company brought piles of rubble to the town, which 30 years later turn into a building that blows up?

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

ruddiger posted:

Is there a way to watch the movie in reverse?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2U7Ii0D1Mw

also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjfAkgZlhIo