Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Android Apocalypse posted:

Important to have that part of Sator's character Ars or else you'd almost agree with his reasoning for using the bombs gah the global warming reasoning is dumb AF.

The reveal was good and not dumb. The problem is only mentioning it at the very end so it's never explored. It's not Sator's reasoning either.

I'm curious which dialogue scenes were unintelligible in theaters. With headphones on I didn't miss any.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Dec 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Megasabin posted:

There was never a single bad guy on screen other than the one Russian henchman P directly confronts in the cage.

This is not correct.

And a closed time loop not making sense while true in the "real world" doesn't affect the quality of a film (unless it doesn't really make sense within the film's logic). The Terminator and Timecrimes are both great movies with closed time loops.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Dec 6, 2020

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The movie didn't make it clear it's the one genuinely confusing part. Even as someone that enjoyed the movie that's on Nolan not you.

It's strange to me he supposedly worked on the script so long because if I had been I would've given Sator a better motive and explored the global warming motivation a lot more since I liked the reveal a lot. Actually reminded me of one of the best SCPs.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I wasn't saying you were wrong I'm saying it's legitimately confusing. Your interpretation is the correct one.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Dec 7, 2020

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Hand Knit posted:

1 - my eyes must have gotten slow because I couldn’t track what exactly happened when inverted Neil took a bullet at the end. Did he rappel in so that he unlocked the door and took the bullet at the same instant?

If I'm remembering it right he unlocks the door, walks in, and takes the bullet.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I know he's inverted.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

You can also reason that digging it up would take an enormous amount of time and resources, leaving them vulnerable to attack and leaks about the location of the algorithm pieces. For Christ sake, there's literally a suggestion that they suicide after burying the pieces at the end.

They'd do that so nobody knows where they buried it. They know where Sator buried it.

Megasabin posted:

If they were there then it wasn't obvious. It really looked like there were long stretches of time where the blue/red teams were firing into thin air and being fired upon by an invisible foe. That scene was not exciting at all and it's really weird it was the climactic action set piece.

You're not wrong in that regard - apart from the RPG guys the only obvious ones are the group around an artillery piece that gets blowed up right before I think little Denzel and Kick-rear end get to it.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Dec 7, 2020

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

But his plan doesn't make sense unless nobody else knows where he's buried the Algorithm. It's not like when he puts out a box and tells them where it is and gold appears instantly from his perspective because they invert it from their time.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I enjoyed the movie but I thought this video was really good and that its idea for the ending was a lot better and explores the problem with TENET compared to other Nolan films:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAOqEcJjHOQ

I don't normally watch his videos so I'm not sure if his takes are usually good.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I'm kinda flabbergasted at anything being confusing other than how the ending works. It seemed as straightforward as something like this could be apart from what we discussed earlier in regard to the ending,.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I watched the movie with headphones so didn't miss any dialogue and so didn't think how it'd make sense for the film to be confusing when you miss out on important dialogue due to the poo poo sound mix.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The Kingfish posted:

If I had a magic turnstyle I’d go back in time to help Nolan make a better movie.

Couldn't. Whatever's happened happened.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

TENET is not easily the worst considering Dark Knight Rises exists.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The only part of TENET I don't think is coherent is the drop at he end which we discussed earlier.

One thing I missed on my first viewing was the shockwave Blue Team is landing on is the bomb's explosion burying the algorithm. On my initial viewing I just assumed it was a generic explosion.

stratdax posted:

Inception had an exposition heavy first half that sets up a more interesting premise than Nolan makes use of. Pretty much all the interesting imagery is from a scene that seemed to be constructed entirely for the trailer. The second half is a straightforward boring raid on a military base. If you're going to break all the rules that you spent an hour setting up (bringing the architect!) why not do something interesting with it.
Batman Begins was the best of Nolan's batman movies. Dark Knight doesn't make any sense, really. Also Dark Knight is when Nolan is at his worst in when he ends a scene, the world outside of the movie stops existing. Like when Joker threw Rachel out the window and Batman jumps out after her. Scene ends, onto the next one. But, what happens next? Joker is up there still. Does he kill everybody? Why doesn't Batman just wait in the lobby for the elevator? It's because they stop existing when the scene ends. Scenes have no flow to each other at all. You could really jumble up the whole movie and there wouldn't really be any difference in the story.

lol

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Dec 28, 2020

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

JazzFlight posted:

My sister and her husband weren't impressed after watching it recently and also were confused at some points, so they decided to watch a youtube explainer video that told them that Neil is Max, Kat's son, all grown up.

No, that is not correct.

YouTube movie explainers are always hilariously stupid. I wish I remember what it got wrong but after I got home from seeing Us one of the big ones that does "Endings Explained" got really basic poo poo wrong in order to say something as dumb as that.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I watched it on a TV with my parents on Christmas and we didn't have any issues with the dialogue. I'm kinda sad I didn't experience the original poo poo mixing.

Even though I enjoyed the movie I don't buy that Nolan was working on it or thinking about it as long as he's claimed. It does come across as a first pass.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Did they say it doesn't apply? I thought Neil said if we're in a multiverse it wouldn't but they seem to be of the belief that if the future succeeds everyone's hosed.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

JazzFlight posted:

I just have to rant again about everyone on the internet misinterpreting what the Algorithm was, just a testament to how poorly Christopher Nolan explained the macguffin of the film. So many reddit posts state that the Algorithm was the actual doomsday device, like it was a physical bomb that would go off when dropped in that pipe at the end (or that Sator had a dead man's switch that would activate it when he died). However, it was not. It was simply the formula for the machine.

This part was pretty straightforward so it is odd people aren't getting it. Maybe they're trying to rationalize the issue that you described and that we've discussed in the thread - that Tenet could just dig it up. The "appears instantaneously" thing only works the other way.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Darko posted:

They don't explain how it would work. The algorithm is put together in that hole, then when it goes off with the switch, *something* happens. Before they know for sure where it is they suspect email blast or whatever. Because they arent sure, just like how they are about time works, they are trying to stop it from going off.

The email blast is giving the location so the future can see it from addresses they're monitoring. I can't remember if it's said explicitly but it's pretty clear he's burying it so they can get it in the future and then doing their thing.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

zer0spunk posted:

e2: and honestly deep deep down i find the fact this is all a climate change psa absolutely hilarious. that's some m night level story-crafting right there

That was my favorite part of the movie. It was about the best motivation you could give for the future to be doing what it's doing. The problem is there are only a couple of lines devoted to it.

Though I would've found it more interesting if the future was just doing it as punishment rather than as an attempt to save themselves. Brings to mind one of the better SCPs.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

SlipkPIe posted:

The complexity exists just to make the action set pieces cooler. Which is fine because the action is baller. But then internet dorks show up and want to pretend there’s something deeper even though Chris Nolan is, at heart, kind of a dumb guy. And I love his movies

That reddit post where someone made a diagram to explain this movie like it's Primer was pretty funny.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

In Timecrimes wasn't it his wife never fell off the roof and it was always him pushing a woman he made up to look like his wife. Been a long while since I've seen it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

gregday posted:

Just based on reading r/tenet, there are a shocking number of people who wildly get wrong the most basic facts about what is happening in this movie. Whether you pin that on Nolan is up to you, but I’ve seen so many explainers that are just incorrect.

Yeah I wanna say someone posted a reddit diagram in here to explain the car stuff and it was flat out wrong.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I'd love Nolan to explain why the Algorithm being buried is an instant game over. I'm one of those weirdos that very much enjoyed the movie but that makes no sense.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I can do suspension of disbelief of it being some physical object for the sake of story but burying being an automatic fail condition only works in the other direction.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Isn't it just they're in a lab so they shouldn't hold the material with their bare hands.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The motive of the future people is great but it should've been more than a throwaway line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

DeimosRising posted:

What do you like about it, seems real stupid to me

It's the only motive that could possibly make sense...

I wouldn't have called it great if it was "real stupid" but I do think it's real stupid they didn't go hey they kinda have a point maybe if we do something about it now they won't want revenge.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 23:02 on May 3, 2021