Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Trailer 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3pk_TBkihU

Looks like absolute flames. Too bad I ain't risking going to the theaters to see it. Should have just pushed it to next year.

I'm loving this. As a massive Inception fan I'm loving the return to weird corporate warfare with a weird dream/time gimmick going on. Even better is trying to piece together the story based on what we've seen from these two trailers:

Before I get into that and as a potential spoiler alert linebreak, holy loving poo poo my favorite from The Expanse, Wes Chatham, is in this movie? He's an incredible actor, mega spoilers for the best show on television:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dn76ZPt_Y0

So here's my guesses based on what we have so far, and I expect to be entirely wrong:

>My theory is that the way time "inversion" works relies on some sort of gas that has some effect on the ability of "inversion" and this plays a major factor in how the different characters experience time back and forth, similar to the "dream sharing" mechanic in Inception was explained. Still my favorite movie, by the way.

>>>There's a back of the restaurant fight/chase scene clipped in both of the trailers. I think this is probably at the very beginning of the film to show off JDW's prowess, but he loses the woman at the end and is left asking questions. JDW is chasing after her through multiple points in time.

>>>The main character played by John David Washington (JDW) is some sort of corporate agent/mercenary who gets caught up on a job gone bad and refuses to give up his comrades, getting him killed by Ralph Fiennes, and he wakes up in a medical bed being recruited by a shadowy agency that has some understanding of how time is being "inverted" and the grave threat being caused - bad people in the future are using time inversion to go back in time to do all sorts of poo poo in order to forward their agenda. JDW is recruited to stop them because he's a competent operator who can keep his mouth shut.

>>>The shadowy guy in the suit who says "welcome to the afterlife" on the boat is in charge of the "resistance" or some sort of UN/MGS2 Philantrophy style organization, and possibly trapped in the backwards time dilation we see in the first trailer, trying to prevent the future he's come from, from happening, potentially in an alternate timeline of which there are infinite of. (Admittedly I am inferring a bit from Trunks and DBZ here)

When he says "your duty transcends national interests. This is about survival," there is very much a fear of the leaders of the present having their power and control overruled by bad actors from the future inverting time in order to have their way with the threads of history.

>>>The scene from the first trailer of them flying up the side of the building is from his first "training mission." However, judging by the lighting and scenery, there's clearly an encounter with Kenneth Barangh's character where they talk about "How would you like to die?" "OId." "Then you chose the wrong profession." Maybe KB betrays him at some point as his mentor or something? I'm curious.

>>>My wild guess is that, inferring from Inception a little bit, is that Robert Pattinson is the younger version of the evil older character we've seen in multiple trailers doing evil poo poo, and JDW's character has to recruit him in order to prevent it in some sort of ridiculous hairbrained scheme a-la Inceptions 4-layers-deep mind planting heist.

The most shallow and cynical prediction I could come up with is that he has to change the psyche or mindset of Robert's character in order to prevent his older self from doing some sort of horrible evil plot that sends him back into the past. The scene in Trailer 2 indicates this, with the lines: "You can communicate with the future?" "No. Inversion."

My theory is that the young boy the blonde woman kisses at 1:29 is Robert Pattinson's character in the past. Kenneth Barangh is the older version of RP, the boy is the younger, and JDW has to save him at some point possibly.

>>>The Desi (I think?) woman who says lines like "You have to start looking at the world in a new way" is probably in tune to the back and forth struggle between the past and the future fighting against one another. "There are people in the future who need us" is a really good way of setting the stakes, and that I find exciting. But then she says, I think, "I need TENET," and maybe that's the organization that maintains the timeline? Some sort of UN-style agreement between the future and the past?

>>>"Don't try to understand it. Feel it." feels like a big deal here. Maybe something similiar to Bruce's throwaway line in Looper, another time travel (but this isn't time travel, it's time inversion) film.

>>>The tactical gear and the gas masks imply a level of organization between different factions, maybe KB's character is the head of some sort of time terrorist organization judging by the opera house scene shown at the end of the second trailer. They've apparently been knocked unconscious by some sort of gas, and this plays a major deal. But RP's character is all geared up and says the line "We need to save these people, here and now." Which is interesting - but he has his tie on under the body armor. Tactical getups don't feature suit ties.

There's clearly some sort of badge on the shoulder of the tactical gear but I can't identify it yet. I'll try to find a 4K trailer or something.

I really do hope they haven't shown us everything yet. I'd be very excited to see an entirely fresh and original climax with all the plot mechanics they haven't fully revealed yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

precision posted:

I just can't imagine any explanation for "time inversion" that won't be incredibly stupid, but I also probably won't care

You could have said the same thing about all the dream sharing mechanics in Inception, but that movie still ruled

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They should stream it but only for VR headsets with one of those social virtual movie theater apps that lets a bunch of people watch a movie together. They can even program NPCs so you can pretend to stand in line, buy tickets, and argue over assigned seating together!

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm so loving stupid I would probably double mask/glove-up and cross my fingers. But then again I live in NYC. gently caress. I really do wanna see this and I'm terrified of spoilers but also I don't wanna catch El Rona.

I won't. I won't go, no life is worth a movie. But loving hell.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Christopher Nolan didn’t work on Avatar I thought

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don’t care. I just wanna see the loving movie at this point.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wait that’s a thing?

Tempting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also that.