Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SMEGMA_MAIL
May 4, 2018
I like that fan theory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMEGMA_MAIL
May 4, 2018

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

Time to unsubscribe now that SMG has shown up...

What happens happened.

SMEGMA_MAIL
May 4, 2018
Am I missing some sort of in joke here or history I'm missing, or did you come in here out of nowhere just to say you were leaving because of your posting enemy.

Amazing

SMEGMA_MAIL
May 4, 2018
I dunno I didn’t feel like I needed to know or that it would be coherent. Humans have engaged in stupid arms races, wars, and climate destruction without any real rationale other than a pileup of complex power plays and prisoners dilemmas and it just became a race to plunder the past or something.

I think the story and motivations of the characters is complicated enough that it would have worked better in a book but I appreciate a movie that doesn’t just spoon feed the audience since it’s so hard to do exposition right. I just really like this Philip K Dick esque scifi where it’s “everything the same but one major thing is different” and how crazy the implications of that get. I just really really liked this movie which I can’t say I’ve said in a couple years.

SMEGMA_MAIL fucked around with this message at 22:22 on May 3, 2021

SMEGMA_MAIL
May 4, 2018
Yeah Sator could have been a lot more interesting of a villain.

Even like thanos’s and the dark knight joker’s motivations have a twisted logic beyond just “well I’m hosed so gently caress everybody”

SMEGMA_MAIL
May 4, 2018
I thought the fire thing was pretty cool, it was kinda a neat planting thing to explain why he didn't die later in the movie when the car got blown up when he was inverted.

SMEGMA_MAIL
May 4, 2018
Niel definitely knows he’s going to die, he’s recruited by TP/Tenet in the future because that was essentially his “test” to enter the organization even though from Neils perspective that was the end of his timeline. The whole thing is that all the core members of Tenet must have done something that indicated they were willing to die for their tenets. Even if future TP didn’t hint at this, Neil would have known that his last event was a one way trip because of the whole way turnstiles work- if you don’t see yourself inverted/reverted you know you’re taking a one way trip.

SMEGMA_MAIL
May 4, 2018
Oh duh yeah nv

SMEGMA_MAIL
May 4, 2018

evobatman posted:

Do the tax-dodging secret pre-customs art warehouses exist in our real world?

Absolutely yes

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_economic_zone?wprov=sfti1

SMEGMA_MAIL
May 4, 2018
Way of the Gun was awesome, plus it’s the only movie that does realistic injured gun handling stuff.

All of Nolan’s shootouts have way too much gunfire, few consequences, happen way too close and too little cover.

Strangely all the car accidents seem to have weight.

SMEGMA_MAIL fucked around with this message at 23:57 on May 10, 2021

SMEGMA_MAIL
May 4, 2018
One theory I read that actually makes the motivations of future people make sense is that the device they sent back is part of a thing that would invert the earth itself which would reverse ecological collapse but would seriously gently caress things up coherence-wise so they have to erase the past to rewind the earth.

SMEGMA_MAIL
May 4, 2018
Yeah wouldn’t sators inverted car start getting colder every combustion cycle and eventually freeze and lock up if being driven at all aggressively?

Ignoring the whole inverted fuel with regular oxygen thing.

SMEGMA_MAIL
May 4, 2018
You can also argue some kind of quantum bullshit where knowing is like observing so you can change things only that are unknown to an observer but once someone knows how something happens it’s set in stone.

SMEGMA_MAIL
May 4, 2018
They weren’t back on the boat as if nothing happened. That was both older them having gone back.

SMEGMA_MAIL
May 4, 2018
I like the “what happened happened but not if nobody knows it happened” it doesn’t totally make sense but it kinda makes everything almost work and everyone’s motivations make more sense.

SMEGMA_MAIL
May 4, 2018
Well it also lead to the trend in lovely movies where if the lead action man sucks at actually doing action (cough taken cough) you just cut around wildly and be really confusing with the camera to hide it

SMEGMA_MAIL
May 4, 2018
Yeah it wouldn’t be that hard, whenever you need more oxygen you just un invert, go to the oxygen/air compressor on all your expired tanks, and then take them back through the turnstile

SMEGMA_MAIL
May 4, 2018
It all actually “works” you just have to like sit down and draw it out. Save for that Robert Pattinson’s character is a bit too young for the timeline to make sense.

The only thing that isn’t clear or consistent is what exactly happens when inverted object impacts a non inverted object. Sometimes it seems like invertedness is “imparted” like with wounds and other times it’s not like with how explosions cause inverted people to be hypothermic but that’s extremely nitpicky imo. Everything else you could nitpick as far as “the rules” is more philosophical or like very niche biology or physics nitpicks that would ruin the whole thing anyway.

There are a bunch of YouTube’s that explain the confusing scenes. It all “makes sense” and follows an internal logic it’s just impossible to follow without drawing out a whiteboard that looks like a slide from a US Army briefing on COIN.

SMEGMA_MAIL
May 4, 2018

Dren posted:

But if Team Blue tells Team Red something extremely actionable like "don't stand there or you die", Team Red guys have to say "What happened happened" then go stand there anyway? Am I getting it now?

Because they saw them do the thing that didn’t make them blow up they tell them that. If they had died then they had provided the wrong information or something they couldn’t have prevented.

Like if the Robert Pattinson character decided he was going to chicken out then he simply wouldn’t have been there dead in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMEGMA_MAIL
May 4, 2018

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

You can't challenge your fate. Right after the Protagonist inverts he walks outside and sees a puddle start to ripple. With a confused look he steps in it and the ripples center on his foot and then disappear. At no point could he see the ripples and say "gently caress you Universe, I ain't gonna step there" anymore than I can leap off a cliff and say "gently caress you Universe, I ain't gonna fall"

I like to think of it more that if he wanted to not do that he wouldn’t have decided to do it in the first place and thus it’s impossible to end up in that paradox situation where you know you’re doing to do something you don’t want to do. If you do end up in that situation then you know something will happen that will change your mind. But both are true.