Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

My experience after seeing this movie a second time is that it's even worse when you start focusing on the characters instead of the plot, because they're terribly written or make no sense - or have no real character at all. The Russian villain is about as well written as a video game nemesis. John David Washington's acting is quite good and he carried a lot of the film. Also the line "shipping treasury gold once a month" is pretty dumb if you think about it.

Dante fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Dec 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

I applaud Nolan's bravery for making the Russian bond villain's motivation be IF I CAN'T HAVE YOU NOBODY CAN for both the bond girl and also for destroying the planet with an appropriately nuclear-themed doomsday device.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

I just finished my dissertation on TENET and the crucial plot is really when the bond girl says "you can't jibe a boat like this" and bond the protagonist immediately says "you can if you have to" and immediately jibes the boat, showing clearly that the spinning top is still spinning.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

zer0spunk posted:

lol that the trope-y Russian villain was Kenneth Branagh

the more i think about this movie the more i'm convinced this is a low key parody of James bond and his own dumb "high" sci fi concept films in one go

i can't be the only who laughed at "IF I CAN'T HAVE YOU NO ONE CAN" right

Dante posted:

I applaud Nolan's bravery for making the Russian bond villain's motivation be IF I CAN'T HAVE YOU NOBODY CAN for both the bond girl and also for destroying the planet with an appropriately nuclear-themed doomsday device.

I won't have you cancel me like that :colbert:

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Amarcarts posted:

Now that the DVD is out there are clips online that reverse the footage for some of the scenes and the car chase is actually pretty impressive.

As much as I keep wanting to pick this movie apart for its numerous flaws, I will say that I haven't spent as much time thinking about any other movie in recent memory. Just about everything else that comes out these days is instantly forgettable. Even the relatively good stuff just kind of fades away after a week.

I will admit that the movies I've spent the most time thinking about recently is TENET and CATS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Payndz posted:

My big problem with Tenet is that it's just not exciting. At all. Big-budget action is happening, real 747s are being crashed, mass battles are going on with time-fuckery causing buildings to explode and implode... and it's just utterly loving inert, all energy drained from it.

Turns out "What if we do an action scene, but then do it again backwards? :haw: " isn't the mind-blowing trick Nolan thought it would be.

This is all the more true and jarring specifically because the opening scene is an almost perfect action movie sequence.