Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I feel like everyone in the movie is fully aware they could do crazy causality breaking things and something crazy would happen if they did but everyone is playing by "please be cool about this" rules. And even the people wanting to destroy everything are going to maybe end the universe want to do it one specific way they think would help them.

I feel like in universe everyone knows they could probably do all the "why don't they just ______" time shenanigans people think of and just really feel like they should not do that and just being cool about staying in their lane for not getting to weird about it the most important thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

gregday posted:

No, he isn’t 100% sure about the immutability of time and thinks they should try to stop the plan just to be safe.

I think it's the opposite.

He is 100% sure about the immutability of time and thinks they should try to stop the plan because that is/was/will be what happens.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Its Chocolate posted:

thank you. I had the same problem as SMG where I couldn't figure out how the gently caress sending gold back in time to spend would work but this makes perfect sense

I feel like the problem is that you could mess with the gold by picking it up over and over every day. The solution is he simply doesn’t do that.

A lot of this movie is full of things people *could* do that would mess everything up, but everyone is just playing it cool and he just doesn’t ever dig up the gold again to look at it and mess with it.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I feel like the bigger gold issue in this movie is they had multiple pivotal scenes revolving around gold bars but they are unrelated gold bars. Not even a thematic or functional link. It feels like such weird film making. Like it just seems like a world where there is a whole lot of gold bars and people concerned about various gold bars.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
They never say anything like this, but the movie feels like it makes more sense if there is a grand time loop with the algorithm. Like in the year 5000 humans discover 8 cubes that explain time technology and make time technology and are prosperous, then in the year 6000 a woman goes "oh poo poo, what if there was a 9th cube, you could reverse the arrow of time!" then freaks out, realizes the implications of her research, then secretly throws all the things into radiation that is so bad no one can touch until the far past before they were so radioactive. At which point they loop around, inspire the civilization with technology, come to the shocking discovery, then loop around again.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Neo Rasa posted:

Also they realize how far back they have to go since they have to make small changes over time instead of just doing one thing at one point that fixes every problem at once so it begins with the actual Sator Squares from like Roman times being the earliest thing sent from the furthest future to the past to subtly guide events. I got that same impression that the movie makes more sense if it "takes place" over a waaaaaaaaaay longer range of time than what we see in the movie.

Yeah, even the tenet story alone we know people are going back and forth through the story off screen and many many years into the future and past. Like they raise and entire army at some point off screen and seem to own a boat. And turnstyles are all over the place apparently.

It's handwavy, but I feel like not fully explained things like the scientist hiding the algorithm probably also included a whole never to be made movie worth of adventure where there is ten trillion time loops and another set of adventures, far future tenet eventually wins and lets the algorithm get lost to the past. Like bad guys probably DID go back and try to stop her, then good guys went back from that, on and on ten trillion times, all through history. Including but not limited to the movie we saw.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Bird in a Blender posted:

I just watched this over the weekend, sorry I didn't read the whole thread, so maybe this has been answered. I was really surprised that barely anyone seems to hide the fact that moving backwards through time is a thing. There are lots of times where things are happening in reverse in plain view of a lot of people. Does this ever get a mention in the movie?

I don't think tenet is doing the whole men in black coverup. Everything is hidden but not THAT hidden. Like there is a turnstile in a public airport. It's hidden, but not like in an unmarked government lab or something. And the lab coat lady is at least marginally just a random researcher that is just studying this stuff independently without being a specific tenet or future badguy employee and The arms dealer lady didn't know where time bullets came from, but she did seem like she was selling them just kinda around.

Like presumably there was always a bunch of time junk laying around. But it seems like the whole future war raining debris back to us thing is just starting to ramp up in our time. as more and more turnstyles get built. The existence isn't common knowledge yet, but the rumors are probably all over the place in general and anyone high up probably already knows some amount about it as a mystery thing. I bet they are like 5 years from time terrorists blowing up a time bomb in times square and everyone finding out. It doesn't seem like the sort of thing that just stays secret forever.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Blue room has backwards oxygen. Kat is still forward. So she needs oxygen for the opposite reason everyone in every other scene does. Sator has a mask on because he's backwards, and going to go out soon and has already put on his outfit, but he can take it off because he's still in the room and isn't actually using it yet.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
The blue room having reverse oxygen raises the question of why protagonist was able to go to the blue room in oslo and I feel like the answer is written down on some piece of paper somewhere because to get to that room they have to go to a bunch of rooms with choking atmospheres. And I think you are supposed to assume the backwards oxygen vented with the halide gas. when the freeport refilled with air after the "fire". Since it feels like a lot of movie work to make a premise there is two unrelated unbreathable gases in a single building.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah there's a few things like this that feels like there were notes on but it didn't end up making the cut into the final script. But it feels like somebody had ideas here, pretty cool.

Yeah, it feels like a lot of things aren't answered exactly, but aren't totally hand waved away. Like there being cars wrapped up in tarps at the turnstyle. Which doesn't really answer anything, but also totally answers where the protagonist and sator got inverted cars.

Like it answers it ENOUGH.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
It seems like no matter what you did it would always make a highly perfect Impossibly choreographed clockwork set of motions. Like, no matter what you do or think you are doing it’s going to always be an improbably complex set of steps that leads to the exact perfect thing to happen to exactly play out history exactly perfectly stepped through the set of events that are laid out.

Like your attempt to even do something else will just end up being the exact set of exact steps that caused the original time line anyway. No matter what you do. It’ll always seem a little too perfect. But the same would be true of just normal forward moving time if you ever saw it from “the outside”

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Its Chocolate posted:

that depends on when the silver car became inverted. a theory I'm developing is that objects invert spontaneously when coming into violent contact with another inverted object. if that's true, then the silver car would have become inverted when it crashed into Sator's SUV. before that (or after from a normal POV) the car was normal, which was why Protag had trouble with the handling. ... unless that weird shot where the car stops and it shows the wheel spinning was meant to indicate the car was becoming inverted at that point

It’s in the turnstile room

https://i.stack.imgur.com/TbBp0.png

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

There is your problem.

I think you can just assume with giant time armies and implied further adventures of tenet that you can assume all sorts of wacky bill and ted adventures happened offscreen. Once they show something exists you can just assume there is some whole wacky time loop adventure happening just out of frame at all times moving everything around.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Theory: Max is an agent from the future and was inverted the whole time.

I am absolutely shocked that there was never a point in the movie where someone inverted had to pretend to be not inverted. Or someone do intentional backwards speech to give a threat or information to someone.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
The plot makes sense. You can really go out on cinemasins nitpicks on how time travel would “really work” but the plot of the movie is all generally understandable within what’s in the movie or with straightforward gap filling

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Dren posted:

* the progtagonist (inverted) gets in a car that looks too big to fit into an inverter and just drives it like normal?

They walk by a line of cars on the way to the inverter in the ready room under some tarps.

That doesn't really 100% answer exactly how they get it through the inverter. Can the inverter open up, do they take the cars apart? do they tilt the car up and push it? It doesn't really answer to that depth, but it basically gives the answer where the car comes from: they process cars through the inverter and had some waiting to be done, implyinginverted cars are a thing they make sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
If something happened yesterday in your real life why don't you just change what you did? You can't, you can't change the past.

Turns out you only pretend you can change the future because you always got to stand at the edge of it pretending you were doing things, take one step out of that and it all turns out it was all deterministic, the characters then play out telling each other a bunch of rationalizations that they totally could change things if they wanted but they just don't wanna. The story from the first second to the end of the universe is already set in stone, even with a bunch of back and forth (but the back and forth is also set in stone just as much, it also has to happen)