Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Capcom is still doing weird fuckery with difficulty levels, iiirc Mega Man 11 changed the names of the difficulty levels compared to Japan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Phantasium posted:

Capcom is still doing weird fuckery with difficulty levels, iiirc Mega Man 11 changed the names of the difficulty levels compared to Japan.

To be fair, the names of the difficulty levels in Japan weren't exactly clear. Newcomer stayed the same name, but the next highest in Japan is called Advanced, which doesn't really come across as a slightly more difficult but still easy mode to English speakers.

The changes were Advanced -> Casual, Original Spec. -> Normal, and Expert -> Superhero.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I had Star Soldier: Vanishing Earth, Flying Dragon, and Aerofighters on Nintendo 64 and I played the gently caress out of all those and have never heard of another human who knows what they even are until a couple months ago. I didn't even know they were franchises except Star Soldier, which I learned from the free Wii channel game.

Meanwhile on PC someone got me one of those 100000000 in 1 CDs, which had a puzzle game on it; UZ 3.0. It's basically a sliding block puzzle with physics but that lovely little freeware game stuck with me for a bit.

When the Xbox Live Arcade was new too there was some game called Cloning Clyde on there that isn't really all that good but I really enjoyed for one reason or another.

e: Also shoutout to the goon who also played Chopper Attack and also the goon who played Top Gear

There was also a NES game called Desert Commander that was basically Advance Wars / Famicom Wars before that existed, down to the combat presentation. I always liked it more than the AW games.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jan 24, 2020

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Wasn’t the exchange rate something like 100 yen to a dollar, so lots of RPGs translated the currency but not the amount so coffee would be $50?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Wasn’t the exchange rate something like 100 yen to a dollar, so lots of RPGs translated the currency but not the amount so coffee would be $50?

All the loving time. You ever wonder they the pokedollar was so weak?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

When a burger is 14 bucks it's no wonder he pulls them out of the trash

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Heath posted:

When a burger is 14 bucks it's no wonder he pulls them out of the trash

I wish you could get a hamburger for $14 in this town. Looking at you, Chris.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Cloning Clyde was a fun game and I really liked it.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

I have oddly fond memories of Faxanadu on the NES. I never beat it myself, but I remember watching my dad play and beat it. it's a bizarre sort of Metroidvania before there were Metroidvanias, complete with weapon and armor upgrades, spells, tools, everything you'd expect in one, but on the NES with some questionable translation and lots of jank,.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Faxanadu is great, and very very janky. When I was actively collecting I had two copies of it that had different fonts - the original Gothic script style font that was basically unreadable, and another later release with a much cleaner sans serif font. I don't know of any other game that was "patched" that early on.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I don't know if it'd really count as a 'patch' in the sense you mean, but the first Dragon Quest had some serious changes made to it when it was localized that weren't just censorship. Battery saves instead of passwords, redrawn graphics for things like the coastlines, and different facing sprites for the MC and NPCs which brought a pretty big change in game play. In the original version, because your character was always facing in one direction, when you used the menu options to talk, open doors or chests, whatever, you also had to then select a direction to perform that action in. In the US version, it just automatically was in whichever direction the sprite was facing.

A lot of games had different revisions for print runs or localization, even back then, that brought small or big changes.

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
Roundball: 2 on 2 Challenge for NES was a satisfying 1-player experience for my lonely fat self

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I played a lot of lovely, disposable browser games throughout my childhood. It's hard to find them and dig them up now, and often hard to even play now that Flash is dying on the internet. there's some pseudo-:filez: sites out there (is it stealing to pirate something that was put out for free in the first place?), but it can even be hard to remember what the best games were without any reminder. The Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon websites I used a lot, and I remember things like the Bungalow game or the Cabana game where you played as a character from one of the pilots that Cartoon Network was trying out at the time, (none of which got picked up) and you did adventure-game stuff at a resort filled with other Cartoon Network characters. There was also an adventure game where you played as Courage the Cowardly Dog and had to rescue Muriel and Eustace from a TV ghost. Lego had the Mata Nui Online Game which has a cult following and the company that was contracted out to make it is still proud of what they did, and they post design documents on their tumblr.

But the games that I CAN track down again easily are the ones on Newgrounds. Redder is a game about a space astronaut tracking down gems, and one of the reasons it made such an impression on me was because while I was playing it, as I collected gems the game steadily started bugging out, swapping out tiles on screens and the music started to use sound effects in place of some of the notes, but pitch-shifted to still fit in with the rest of the music, and as it got buggier as I played onward, it was a really cool effect.

Then there's Clarence's Big Chance, a platformer game about an absolute goon who met a girl online and needs to go through a few levels as he gets ready to leave his house, goes to work, and then goes off to the date, where you need to answer questions correctly for the date to go well and get the best ending. There's a whole lot of extra content that you don't need to do if you don't want to, and in fact you can just go to work naked and let yourself get fired instead of doing all the work at your job, and it's all just really neat and well put together.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Formula One: Built to Win for the NES. I don't believe I've seen anyone say a kind word about this game - or any words at all, really. It probably didn't help that it had some of the most astoundingly ugly and amateurish cover art of its generation:

It's basically Rad Racer strapped onto one of those "win races, get money, improve car, repeat" games, which I like as long as they're not super granular and have you grinding races for eight hours to buy an inanimate carbon rod or whatever.

There's not a solid set of reasons I can use to explain why I like this game so much, but it just has, for me, a magic to the sum of its parts and I can play it for dang hours.

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

Pastry of the Year posted:

Formula One: Built to Win for the NES. I don't believe I've seen anyone say a kind word about this game - or any words at all, really. It probably didn't help that it had some of the most astoundingly ugly and amateurish cover art of its generation:

It's basically Rad Racer strapped onto one of those "win races, get money, improve car, repeat" games, which I like as long as they're not super granular and have you grinding races for eight hours to buy an inanimate carbon rod or whatever.

There's not a solid set of reasons I can use to explain why I like this game so much, but it just has, for me, a magic to the sum of its parts and I can play it for dang hours.

Wow - this looks very much like SNES Top Gear (which was released 2 years later than this)

I was super into Top Gear 2 back in the day and wish I had known about this

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
snes top gear owned but i didn't know anyone else who had it at the time

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

All my favourite Formula One races involve Minis

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

SlothfulCobra posted:

I played a lot of lovely, disposable browser games throughout my childhood. It's hard to find them and dig them up now, and often hard to even play now that Flash is dying on the internet. there's some pseudo-:filez: sites out there (is it stealing to pirate something that was put out for free in the first place?), but it can even be hard to remember what the best games were without any reminder. The Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon websites I used a lot, and I remember things like the Bungalow game or the Cabana game where you played as a character from one of the pilots that Cartoon Network was trying out at the time, (none of which got picked up) and you did adventure-game stuff at a resort filled with other Cartoon Network characters.

poo poo I played the hell out of this Cartoon Network adventure game as well and years ago a goon had a link to it on an Asian version of the Cartoon Network site but the game was still in English. I think you may have actually played as Dexter from Dexter's Lab and had to deal with the fact that your tennis ball throwing robot was going nuts at the resort. I know you had to get a suit of armor so you you could get close to it and 5 objects with which to plug the holes the balls ejected from. There was the usual doing everyone's busy work/solving their problems to get all that stuff. Surprisingly good game but I probably don't have the link anymore.

Edit: you were right you played as characters from shows that never got picked up but did have to deal with Dexter's haywire robot in episode 2. This site for preserving web based browser games purports to have all four of the Cartoon Cartoon Summer Resort Games preserved: https://bluemaxima.org/flashpoint/

Turbinosamente fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Feb 1, 2020

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

I had Star Soldier: Vanishing Earth, Flying Dragon, and Aerofighters on Nintendo 64 and I played the gently caress out of all those and have never heard of another human who knows what they even are until a couple months ago. I didn't even know they were franchises except Star Soldier, which I learned from the free Wii channel game.

I loving loved Flying Dragon as a kid. I'd rent it and play the SD mode endlessly and just super enjoyed every second of it.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

RBA Starblade posted:

Wait, there was a Star Soldier on N64?
Wait, there was a Flying Dragon on N64??
Wait, there was an Aero Fighters on N64???

:psyduck:

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Kchama posted:

I loving loved Flying Dragon as a kid. I'd rent it and play the SD mode endlessly and just super enjoyed every second of it.

Yeah, same. I didn't like the more technical mode, but the SD mode with the equipment options was fun.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Rollersnake posted:

Wait, there was a Star Soldier on N64?
Wait, there was a Flying Dragon on N64??
Wait, there was an Aero Fighters on N64???

:psyduck:

Hell yeah lmao

I played as the ship with the giant rear end laser in Star Soldier vanishing Earth, a guy who looked like Vegeta in Flying Dragon, and the ninja with the giant rear end laser in Aerofighters :v:

Apparently there was a shitload of broken equipment in Flying Dragon that you had to play a fuckload of to get

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

The original Pacific Theater of Operations for the SNES fuckin' ruled, and I could (and did) play it over and over.

Cockashocka
Sep 13, 2013

Bubble brother

I really used to enjoy Paperboy for the N64, especially with the cheats that switched all the sound effects, funniest poo poo ever as a kid.

luke_diddy86
Feb 27, 2020

InediblePenguin posted:

snes top gear owned but i didn't know anyone else who had it at the time

Still one of my favorite racing games, beat it on every difficulty setting.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I play og F-Zero on an emulator sometimes. Later stages are just as hard as I remember.

I introduced my eight year old niece and five year old nephew to Super Mario Kart a few weekends. :buddy.

It took them ten minutes to start the fighting over it. :negative: It has begun.

Randaconda fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Mar 5, 2020

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Hunter Noventa posted:

I have oddly fond memories of Faxanadu on the NES. I never beat it myself, but I remember watching my dad play and beat it. it's a bizarre sort of Metroidvania before there were Metroidvanias, complete with weapon and armor upgrades, spells, tools, everything you'd expect in one, but on the NES with some questionable translation and lots of jank,.

Could have sworn that was a fairly popular game, I know it had a couple Nintendo Power articles. It was really good IIRC.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

precision posted:

Could have sworn that was a fairly popular game, I know it had a couple Nintendo Power articles. It was really good IIRC.

The game was released twice with a different font. One has a fancy but unreadable Gothic font and the newer version has a plain sans-serif font.

Cockashocka
Sep 13, 2013

Bubble brother

I feel like I was the only one who loked Darkseed 1, especially the dos floppy version with unnerving adlib music and sound effects. The dos cd version ruined the music by awkwardly rearranging it into midi format.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Cockashocka posted:

I feel like I was the only one who loked Darkseed 1, especially the dos floppy version with unnerving adlib music and sound effects. The dos cd version ruined the music by awkwardly rearranging it into midi format.

Darkseed 1 is a really rude game, so yeah you might be.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Darkseed 1 is pretty well-regarded, iirc. It's got some real trial-and-error bullshit, but it's not long enough to wear out its welcome, and making a wrong decision usually kills you fast enough for it to not be too frustrating.

Darkseed 2 is absolute bullshit.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Darkseed 2 is fascinating in so far as how much utterly pointless dialog is in the game, how it has basically one puzzle in the game and its a trick anyway, and how it has one of my favorite red herring puzzles ever in gaming.

Darkseed 1 is still worse to me because hidden timer games are timer games, but massively worse

Cockashocka
Sep 13, 2013

Bubble brother

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Yeah, Darkseed 2 is a pretty crap game, which is a shame considering the story is sort of interesting and the soundtrack is pretty good, sadly it's so horribly executed and feels like a bore to play through.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Here, Mike. This will explain everything.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Zereth posted:

Here, Mike. This will explain everything.

Haha, you missed pal

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Darkseed 2 is a real kusoge, interesting for what it does wrong

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

Barudak posted:

Darkseed 1 is a really rude game, so yeah you might be.

I really liked it but I was playing it on an amiga and the loading times and disk swapping on that machine was ridiculous. Excellent music too.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I am learning a lot right now because I assumed everyone disliked Darkseed 1

For actual thread content I liked Nanosaur for iMac

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Darkseed 1 is kind of bad by any objective standard but as a game of its time it definitely hits the right notes. The Giger art carries a lot of weight in that respect and manages to look extra creepy in the low-fi presentation. That doll in the box gave me the willies the first time I saw it.

Speaking of low-fi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeetTWWBUHU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
The original Dark Seed would probably be harder to swallow if it was longer than, like, 2 hours. Even with trial and error it'll only take you like an afternoon, and that's what saves it for me.