Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Spider-Man & Venom in Maximum Carnage, for Sega Genesis.

Clunky beat em up that gets overshadowed by how the company released nearly the same game a year later. However when I got used to the controls the combat challenge and move set were fun. Spidey could pick up enemies and twirl them above his head endlessly, plus a move where you web enemies on both sides of you and pull them into a collision could one hit bosses.

The high difficulty was offset by generous hidden areas and it was neat to summon Captain American or DeathLok to help clear the screen. Most of the boss fights were cool, with the exception of a giant robot in the Fantastic Four's HQ that I could only beat by cowardly hiding on the ceiling, dropping down for one jump kick, then fleeing to safety and it always took way too long. Overall not bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I'm pretty sure everyone loved that game

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I'd believe it, but I could never get friends to care about it. I'll admit it was a bit of an issue that a beat em up that prominently features two characters was only single player.

Another that may have been popular on a larger scale but I never heard anyone talk about was Star Trek: The Next Generation for Game Boy. You fly the Enterprise-D and complete missions ranging from transporting cargo/ambassadors to fighting off a Borg cube.

You could talk to your crew which was a nice feature. Riker reminded you of your objective, Worf activated weapons and shields (never any reason not to have weapons powered up as you couldn't hurt friendly ships), LaForge fixed stuff, Miles transported, and Data could warp you to other systems. I now realize they didn't include female officers at all, dang it.

Combat was fun and they did a good job capturing the spirit of the show with a limited platform.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Another that may have been popular on a larger scale but I never heard anyone talk about was Star Trek: The Next Generation for Game Boy.
I had that! I was pretty poo poo at it (I was about 8 or 9) so never really advanced beyond Level 3 or whatever but I'd be lying if I said I didn't find it fun to just warp to random star systems and zap enemy ships. Some of the other stuff was a bit dull though; the transporter segments where you had to chase down and lock onto some dickhead who just wouldn't stand the gently caress still for a moment were the absolute worst.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
Growing up in the US south in the early 90s, none of my friends had PCs. Almost everyone I knew had a Sega Genesis or a Super Nintendo, so being the only kid with a 2/386 I tended be the odd man out. Occasionally I could show them a cool unique game that wasn’t available on their consoles(this was most true as iD and Apogee came into their prime). Most of the time, I was getting joked on for another “cheap knock off.”

One of my favorite of these cheap knock offs was Body Blows by Team17. Despite the homoerotic name, it was a competent 2D fighter in the vein of Street Fighter. Even the main characters Danny and Nik, shares similar move sets with Ken and Ryu. There were slight differences overall but it was clear where the inspiration came from.

All of my friends hated it. They didn’t like using a keyboard to play, they didn’t like the blocking mechanic, they didn’t like that I was better than them since my older brother and I played together a lot. After a few times almost no one wanted to play it, despite always wanting to play Street Fighter.

https://youtu.be/tHEnGjGzIwI

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

Growing up in the US south in the early 90s, none of my friends had PCs. Almost everyone I knew had a Sega Genesis or a Super Nintendo, so being the only kid with a 2/386 I tended be the odd man out. Occasionally I could show them a cool unique game that wasn’t available on their consoles(this was most true as iD and Apogee came into their prime). Most of the time, I was getting joked on for another “cheap knock off.”

One of my favorite of these cheap knock offs was Body Blows by Team17. Despite the homoerotic name, it was a competent 2D fighter in the vein of Street Fighter. Even the main characters Danny and Nik, shares similar move sets with Ken and Ryu. There were slight differences overall but it was clear where the inspiration came from.

All of my friends hated it. They didn’t like using a keyboard to play, they didn’t like the blocking mechanic, they didn’t like that I was better than them since my older brother and I played together a lot. After a few times almost no one wanted to play it, despite always wanting to play Street Fighter.

i havent played this but this is also what it was like to be a One Must Fall Guy among street fighter and mortal kombat kids

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

The original Amiga version was much better than the DOS port. At the time, Team17 had only ever developed games for the Amiga and I believe this was among the first of their games to be ported to another system.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.
I liked Keen Dreams. Despite it being the redheaded stepchild of the series and apparently generally panned compared to the "better" Commander Keens.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

VF ran super slow on 32x but I loved it and played it single player all the time until PS1 came out and I played Tekken all the time.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

LifeSunDeath posted:

VF ran super slow on 32x but I loved it and played it single player all the time until PS1 came out and I played Tekken all the time.

I mean hey, it was better than the Saturn version

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Shibawanko posted:

i havent played this but this is also what it was like to be a One Must Fall Guy among street fighter and mortal kombat kids

Speaking of games that only I liked, One Must Fall 2097. 11 robots, secret bosses, actual differences in the arenas, a pretty decent techno-ish soundtrack, a career mode where you upgrade your robot... overall, it was a solid PC fighting game that sadly never got the love it deserved.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

I remember Maximum Carnage being heavily advertised in magazines as in
“This is one of the major releases of Summer 1994”
definitely talked about at my grade school lunch counter

In other news - this 1992-tastic Software Creations logo is filling me with weird nostalgia. It's like something teenage me would create in an afternoon with a Mac Quadra after being introduced to Aldus Freehand or Superpaint. Only thing better would be a lens flare on that chrome pupil

I remember really liking Alien 3 on SNES.
BIG map that has you running through it to complete objectives. The theme of being a lone human in a condemned space station or superjail and you have to bring enough systems online to make it off the planet just speaks to me.
I'd wanted Metroid Fusion to play up the fact that Samus was getting out of a bad situation instead of becoming the walking arsenal the end-game always leads you to become. (and yes, I should play more Dead Space.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmWbOkAR8fA

Coffee Jones fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jul 22, 2020

ToxicToast
Dec 7, 2006
Thanks, I'm flattered.

Coffee Jones posted:

I remember Maximum Carnage being heavily advertised in magazines as in
“This is one of the major releases of Summer 1994”
definitely talked about at my grade school lunch counter

Yeah, I believe the FOX Spiderman cartoon also started around then and was huge. I remember never owning Maximum Carnage but renting it a ton of times. I also really enjoyed Separation Anxiety and that one did have two player. It was also a lot easier.

One game I never see talked about but I really loved was Ranger X. It actually came with my Genesis along with Sonic 1 but I never knew anyone else who owned it. It is a really solid action game and the weapons are pretty cool.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Randalor posted:

Speaking of games that only I liked, One Must Fall 2097. 11 robots, secret bosses, actual differences in the arenas, a pretty decent techno-ish soundtrack, a career mode where you upgrade your robot... overall, it was a solid PC fighting game that sadly never got the love it deserved.

i think it was pretty popular, at least among pc gamers of the time. i played the shareware version a lot, it was a really good game that didn't feel very DOS-like. it eventually got a sequel that i think was very bad and then the series was forgotten

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Some magazine, maybe PC Gamer, used to have demo cds that came with it, and one had the old Duke Nukem side scrollers on it. I played the ever loving poo poo out of those.

grill youre saelf
Jan 22, 2006

LifeSunDeath posted:

You are no alone.
I had VF, doom, and star wars arcade for the 32x. VF was my favorite.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

kirbysuperstar posted:

I mean hey, it was better than the Saturn version

How is that even possible

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Randaconda posted:

How is that even possible

It's not, the Saturn version was incredibly close to the Arcade original and the 32x was a blatant cash in ported by the same team who decided Virtua Racing could also work on the Mega Drive (hint: it couldn't.)

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dell_Zincht posted:

It's not, the Saturn version was incredibly close to the Arcade original and the 32x was a blatant cash in ported by the same team who decided Virtua Racing could also work on the Mega Drive (hint: it couldn't.)

See, that makes a lot more sense.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

VF2 Remix on Saturn was fine and better but the original VF2 release was absolutely not.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yeah my memory is the launch version of Virtua Fighter 2 on the Saturn was garbo and another reminder the system simply wasn't ready

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Barudak posted:

Yeah my memory is the launch version of Virtua Fighter 2 on the Saturn was garbo and another reminder the system simply wasn't ready

Yeah it was so garbage that SEGA of America bundled it with the Saturn as a pack-in title

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Edit - OP is talking about VF anyway, not VF2.

Dell_Zincht fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jul 23, 2020

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

You're right, it's completely unfeasible that a bad game would be a pack in. Especially with Sega. Everyone loving loved Safari Hunt.

Anyway you're right, I brainfarted and meant VF1/Remix but my point stands. Graphics and music are the only place where VF1 Saturn is better, and the horrible polygon clipping in replays/demos smacks of it being undercooked.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

kirbysuperstar posted:

You're right, it's completely unfeasible that a bad game would be a pack in. Especially with Sega. Everyone loving loved Safari Hunt.

Anyway you're right, I brainfarted and meant VF1/Remix but my point stands. Graphics and music are the only place where VF1 Saturn is better, and the horrible polygon clipping in replays/demos smacks of it being undercooked.

Sega got pack-ins right with Sonic The Hedgehog, and given there were only 6 titles available for the Saturn at launch (all published by Sega) they were probably right to go with the title that sold on a 1:1 ratio with the console in Japan.

But the Saturn sucked anyway lol so who cares

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
First time I actually compared VF 1 to VF remix.

Looks like they're doing the Mario 64 thing where arms and legs are made of separate models instead of a single mesh. So on Jeffry here there's all sorts of Z fighting around his hips knees and ankles.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vl895zXjfyQ&t=162s
And yeah the intro looks like a mess. Between loading in characters they have to load in the ring and on VF1 it's about half a second compared to a few frames on VF remix.

VF Remix
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4QUZ-yyDSs

and for good measure, the arcade which .... yeah .... double the framerate, double the resolution, higher polygon count. - almost looks like a PS2 game if it weren't for the flat shading.
At 3:55 here's a ring with a night background and they're fighting on a disco floor and are lit from beneath. The whole thing almost looks cell shaded, it's an aesthetic in its own right.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDbn9lF7k8Y

and for fun here's Tobal no 2 on PS1 which is made of black magic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ePJmr-COEQ

I remember reading about VF 2 on Saturn in Game Players and it being a "Stopped work in the office" game that got a rare 98% and it into system seller / GOTY tier.

Some magazine, maybe PC Gamer, used to have demo cds that came with it, and one had the old Duke Nukem side scrollers on it. I played the ever loving poo poo out of those.

was it with or without the PC speaker sound?
scrolling was chunky as hell but it's fast enough that it doesn't matter, really. Masters of Doom talked about Carmack's smooth scrolling in Commander Keen that rivaled an NES, but I'd rather be playing Duke even through it looks like it runs at something like 10 FPS.

Coffee Jones fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jul 23, 2020

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I'm probably one of the few people who actually love Star Soldier Vanishing Earth for the n64. It's not a particularly hard or demanding shmup but I just find it really fun to go through. I even have like two sealed copies, two cib copies, a Japanese cib and a couple of loose carts. I can't imagine there are many people on the planet that love it as much as I do.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Demo CDs owned so much. Aside from the big names it was fun when you had limitless free time to give the games you’d never heard of a spin on a slow afternoon. I remember the demo for the first Driver game being lots of fun. Hours of entertainment for the price of a magazine.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I think one of them straight up had Sacrifice on it and boy did that game fuckin kick rear end. Another had Earth 2150, which was fine.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

I remember with the GTA2 demo you had access to a full city but a strict time limit before you exploded so couldn't make much progress in the missions. Unless you changed one value in a text file for unlimited time, at which point you pretty much can do everything that made the game fun.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Ineffiable posted:

I'm probably one of the few people who actually love Star Soldier Vanishing Earth for the n64. It's not a particularly hard or demanding shmup but I just find it really fun to go through. I even have like two sealed copies, two cib copies, a Japanese cib and a couple of loose carts. I can't imagine there are many people on the planet that love it as much as I do.

I enjoyed it enough to rent it more than once from Blockbuster back in the day. :v:

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
I liked Pacman 2 The New Adventures, for the Sega Genesis. You get to slap Pacman with a slingshot, and he gets so pissed. I thought it, and the whole game, was funny and interesting.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

fartknocker posted:

I enjoyed it enough to rent it more than once from Blockbuster back in the day. :v:

That is how I got started! I rented it at least three seperate occasions and eventually when ebgames was selling n64 games stupid cheap, bought a copy to keep. Now I have like half a dozen copies.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

excellent bird guy posted:

I liked Pacman 2 The New Adventures, for the Sega Genesis. You get to slap Pacman with a slingshot, and he gets so pissed. I thought it, and the whole game, was funny and interesting.

Pacman 2 The New Adventures is very good and I will always refer to it by its full, Christian name.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Pacman 2 The New Adventures is very good and I will always refer to it by its full, Christian name.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

excellent bird guy posted:

People fuckin' hated this game back in the day, but I think that had more to do with it being basically a point and click adventure game on a console. The idea of not being directly in control of Pac-Man was heresy in 1995 or whatever, but I loved this game as a kid. It's like playing a cartoon, and everything is so colorful and well animated. Smug prancing Pac-Man is still one of the funniest sprites ever made

Heath fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jul 29, 2020

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Seems like the standard problem a lot franchises had to some degree or another where they kept putting a 2 on the end of the title for marketing purposes despite the game having minimal resemblance to its predecessor. See also: Zelda 2.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
In the early days there was no real precedent for what a sequel should look like, at least not for video games. Would people be upset if they thought they were basically buying the same game again? Do you need to give them something entirely new now that the tech has gotten better?

This applies more to Zelda 2 than Pac-Man 2 but the idea is there

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
True. You also have Mario 2 where the US got a slightly jarring but largely successful followup while Japan got a spiteful romhack "sequel". Lost Levels was certainly more quintessentially Mario than Doki Doki Panic, but that didn't make it a better game. :v:

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

John Murdoch posted:

True. You also have Mario 2 where the US got a slightly jarring but largely successful followup while Japan got a spiteful romhack "sequel". Lost Levels was certainly more quintessentially Mario than Doki Doki Panic, but that didn't make it a better game. :v:

The West only got a reskinned Doki Doki Panic because Nintendo of America thought that the Japanese Super Mario Bros 2 would be "unfun" to play due to its extreme difficulty. It was incredibly well received in Japan though which goes to show the differing attitudes of gamers at the time.

Me, I was annoyed. I grew up with Speccy and C64 games, "difficult to the point of being unplayable" was often the order of the day, especially with the lower budget titles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
In the long run, reskinned Doki Doki Panic was better for the franchise, since it was a pretty good game on its own merits and introduced a bunch of stuff to the franchise.

A lot of series that have the sequel be 'the first game but romhack difficulty' tended to stagnate badly, while games where the sequel does weird things often have follow-ups that are more willing to experiment.

That said though, you do get issues where sequels barely resemble the original, either filling it with gimmicks or just turning it into the current oversaturated genre, and those usually kill the franchise.