Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Glover fucken ruled and got pretty good reviews

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Bedlam the obscure 1996 PC title not the soon to be obscure 2014 title

Its a 3rd person isometric game where you can blow basically everything in the levels up but for some reason not only is the game very punishing with only a few hits taking you out in very long stages, you have weirdly limited ammo and will absolutely just be dead man walking if you try to play the game as promised.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

*Second half of the curtain falls away to reveal "on PS1"*

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Barudak posted:

Its a 3rd person isometric game where you can blow basically everything in the levels up but for some reason not only is the game very punishing with only a few hits taking you out in very long stages, you have weirdly limited ammo and will absolutely just be dead man walking if you try to play the game as promised.

yeah i loved this game, i had just a shareware version but the fact that i played it as a kid is what attracted me to brigador, which also rules. i love games where you can just blow everything up with lots of particle effects

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Barudak posted:

Crusader no remorse

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

i was gonna complain but then double checked the thread title.

uh...

carry on

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Ghost Leviathan posted:

if a redneck with a shotgun counts, sure

If I'm remembering correctly, you're super burying the lede here

Not only is the final boss a redneck with a shotgun, but you beat him by crawling into his pants and repeatedly stinging him in the ballsack until he dies

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

If I'm remembering correctly, you're super burying the lede here

Not only is the final boss a redneck with a shotgun, but you beat him by crawling into his pants and repeatedly stinging him in the ballsack until he dies

Should be a modern remake where you can also win by spinning a web that says "don't shoot yourself in the balls."

Goodbye Zuckerman's Favorite Hog.

raifield
Feb 21, 2005
Star Wars Rebellion was already mentioned (twice!), so I'm going with Sierra Online's 1996 game, Birthright: The Gorgon's Alliance.

Is it a realm management game? A military strategy game? A first-person party-based RPG? What if I told you it was all three of these things and only the first part doesn't suck? The army battles use the same sound effects as the original Lords of the Realm from two years prior and out of the dozen unit types maybe three are useful at all. The RPG portion, built off of a clone of the Doom II engine, is too low-res for what it's being asked to do and you and your party have no sense of movement, just sort of glide around until you have to fight something.

The game wound up being rushed out the door as well. Infamously, the back of the box advertised and showed features that didn't exist (such as flying army units) and the game suffered from Sid Meier's 'Covert Action' problem of having multiple game modes shoehorned together that don't quite work together. You can play just the army battles or just the RPG adventures, and the realm management comes in three complexity levels with increasingly more Birthright AD&D options. For me this all works, but despite receiving decent coverage in Sierra's InterAction magazine at the time it flopped and disappeared into obscurity. It's not available on modern platforms and probably never will be, but I still fire up my Windows 2000 machine and play for an hour or two every so often.

The Breakfast Sampler
Jan 1, 2006

Quiet Feet posted:

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A NINTENDO TAPE INTO THE SLOT. ITS LOW G MAN AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, LOW G MAN. I DO EVERY JUMP AND I DO EVERY JUMP HARD. MAKIN WHOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I SLAM DOWN MY ELECTRO SPEAR ON SOME ALIEN ROBOT BASTARDS OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP TECHNIQUE. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY DEFEATED THE GALAXY’S MOST DANGEROUS ALIENS I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY COLLEGE CLASS AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN COLLEGE CLASS CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JERKS. AND IVE LEARNED THE LOCATIONS OF ALL THE WARP ZONES AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY APARTMENT LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING EM ALL. 2 HOURS INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MORNING.”

I fuckin' love Low G Man. I still play it a few times a year and can do the first three stages pretty much on muscle memory at this point.

heck yeah. HELL YEAH, even!

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

There was a PC strategy game based on the rock musical with the same name, that was itself based on an victorian sci-fi novel that had the full title of Jeff Wayne's The War of the Worlds.
It was this weird mix of proto-Total War strategy map with C&C style battles. The units were these terrible steam punk tanks and they mostly sucked, but if you got enough of them you could eventually take down those martian bastards. The music was great and I bought it for dirt cheap like twenty years ago. One of those games that probably sold nothing and got mediocre reviews, but is really fun if you are a dorky child who has the patience for all its idiosyncrasies. I assume it doesn't work on anything newer than windows 98, but I'm probably wrong and there is a huge fan community for it in Belgium or something that are still patching it.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

samurai pizza cats for the famicom

it has animated cutscenes which was unusual for the time, and plays like a good megaman/ninja gaiden hybrid type of game

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
More along the lines of Games Only You Played; I remember reading a lot of the web page esque manual/background lore of Urban Assault, despite only ever having the demo.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

More along the lines of Games Only You Played; I remember reading a lot of the web page esque manual/background lore of Urban Assault, despite only ever having the demo.

I read the manual for Baldurs Gate more than I played the game

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I read the guide for Digimon world 3 like a novel. I had the game too but it would lock up in the second city, from what I've seen of it later I got the better deal.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

I read the manual for Baldurs Gate more than I played the game

That was basically "How to play AD&D2" wasn't it?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

kirbysuperstar posted:

That was basically "How to play AD&D2" wasn't it?

Pretty much

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Boktai: The Sun is in Your Hands.

A sweet little action/stealth game for the GBA that Kojima produced. If you didn't mind your rating getting tanked (I don't think it affected anything) you could also just go full aggro as I always did.

Anyways, you play as Django, son of Ringo the famous vampire hunter who has gone missing, and have to take the Gun Del Sol to stop the Undeadening that is consuming the world. With the Gun Del Sol you have the power to defeat the undead Immortals who cannot otherwise be harmed. Accompanied by Otenko, the spirit/messenger of the sun, who is also a flying sunflower, you make your way through the City of Death clearing dungeons and fighting vampires to save the world.

The trick here is that the Gun Del Sol is powered by sunlight, literally. Every Boktai cartridge had a solar sensor built into it that detects the amount of uv light hitting it. The more sunlight the faster your gun recharges and the more damage the Solar Piledriver does to bosses, though too much sunlight will cause it to overheat and you have to stop playing for the day, since the game has a RTC.

One of the most clever ways to deal with the GBAs lovely screen, one of the best games on the platform, and one of my favorite games of all time. The second game made it over to the US bit in the face of poor sales the third game was never localized. A fourth game was produced for the DS, but it was retitled Lunar Knights in the US to distance itself from the unpopular Boktai series. As a DS game it didn't have the solar sensor but if you put a Boktai game into the second slot the functionality would return. I'm currently playing Boktai 2, but other than that 1 is the only game in the series I've played.

May the Sun be with you.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Holy poo poo, so Urban Assault was actually a real game and not just some thing I imagined!!

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Some Goon posted:

Boktai: The Sun is in Your Hands.

I think about those little "OTENKO" voice clips a lot, for some reason.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Holy poo poo, so Urban Assault was actually a real game and not just some thing I imagined!!

I also only played the demo and thought it was hella cool. Almost want to try the full thing some time, there's actually still some sort of mod scene for the game. https://forums.metropolisdawn.com/index.php

E: actually I might have pirated it once and got far enough to get stuck

Mordja fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Aug 21, 2020

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Mordja posted:

I also only played the demo and thought it was hella cool. Almost want to try the full thing some time, there's actually still some sort of mod scene for the game. https://forums.metropolisdawn.com/index.php

E: actually I might have pirated it once and got far enough to get stuck

I barely remember the game itself but I do remember liking it; my mate's dad had it on his PC and we somehow just stumbled upon it after playing the usual five skirmishes in Red Alert. Needless to say we were poo poo at it but the very idea of taking direct control of any given unit was mind-blowing.

Along a similar line of "Games Only You Played" would be Gunmetal, a little-known PC title from 1998. Never heard of it? I'm not surprised!

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Along a similar line of "Games Only You Played" would be Gunmetal, a little-known PC title from 1998. Never heard of it? I'm not surprised!

I thought it was a game I played but...

quote:

Not to be confused with Gun Metal (video game).

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Sally posted:

i know it's not true but sometimes i think i'm the only person who loved Shadows of the empire N64 dor some of the hate it gets

I had the demo disc on PC for like a year before I had the actual game. I played those first three levels so many times.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Flying Warriors for NES.

I swear I’ve never met another living human who’s played this game and it was super forward-thinking for its time. It was some weird hybrid of side-scrolling beat ‘em up/ultra primitive fighting game/RPG.

It was highly unusual, and it even had a primitive multiplayer mode to mess with the fighting system. Sometimes I think I dreamed it up without it actually existing.

All the parts were divided up. So you’d have these one-on-one fights with highlighted target points on the enemy you were fighting that you could hit for like extra damage or something. Then you’d switch into the side-scrolling part and run around trying to figure out where to go next or what to do. Like if you were traveling between important story bits this is what you’d do and it had a totally different fighting system where a lot of the enemies would go down super fast and your means of attack were much more simplistic. And I seem to remember at some point there was a turn-based RPG fighting system in it much later in the game. Very strange mixture of gameplay styles and it had the whole mystical kung-fu thing going on. Super weird and cool game.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

I have a copy of Flying Warriors but havent put much time into it. Flying Dragon though I've played a bunch and love it despite its warts They improved the graphics a ton between the two.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

This is more 'Like' than 'Liked' because I only discovered it because of emulators, but I think I'm the only person who likes Legend of the Ghost Lion for NES. Pretty simple Dragon Quest clone but I think the battle system is really charming.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
Linking a gameplay vid
https://youtu.be/D57pzclvIAU
And review https://youtu.be/itSJyCUu8g0 ... with the US box art :haw: :v:
using animated character portraits is an interesting choice and they’re pretty detailed, especially for NES.

I always think about how some games could have been all time greats or at least sleeper hits, but they never got a translation until the 2000’s.

Anyway, I remember playing “ Armed Dragon Fantasy Villgust” on an emulator, side scrolling action RPG with giant sprites for what you’d expect in NES. Also came out in 1993, well into the NES/FC sunset years.

https://www.romhacking.net/translations/3863/
Gameplay vid: https://youtu.be/S_wmMrIgPj0

Coffee Jones fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Sep 16, 2020

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I loving loved the demo for that game. Every few years I'll try to see if it's available legallt online anywhere, but all that turns up is the other Gun Metal.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i didn't really "like" conquest earth but i was impressed by some of it. the idea of an invasion of gaseous jovian aliens (because the galileo probe carried a virus that wiped out most of their species) is pretty original and the way the jovian faction worked in the game was cool, the interface was also all insane and generally the graphics look like no other game, actually playing the game was completely miserable though

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Ween - The Prophecy. From the same developer who made the Gobliiins games. It’s a weird first person adventure game but still more Sierra like than Myst. Each segment usually has a room or two to explore and it’s a matter of solving puzzles to get magic grains of sand. Like doing a bunch of escape rooms or something. It has digitized graphics and just a really....odd aesthetic I find interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypykPQNjoIo

Tato fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Sep 22, 2020

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Randaconda posted:

nobody ever knows wtf I'm talking when I bring this up irl

Aww yea that's my game. My dad loved it for some reason. Always said the name real dramatic.

Space shooter with real cool weapons that felt good to use. Great horror vibes. All the levels were just tunnels through flesh and teeth and organs, and every boss was just wall of flesh.

Other than that my game was Beyond the Beyond, an RPG for original playstation.

Hated because: The translator made all the dialogue nonsense. The character art was ugly. Terrible pixelation effects were used throughout, and the "3D" battles were just sprites shown from 4 possible angles. The in-battle sound effects were ridiculous, and the camera spun in circles the whole time.

Worst of all, the difficulty and tedium were very badly tuned -- the pacing was padded out for padding's sake. Random battles came every few steps, but much of the game featured giant labyrinthine dungeons with puzzles that you'd frequently have to backtrack through, that wouldn't fit on-screen except in tiny pieces. So every infuriating random battle took so long it made you lose your place completely in the process. Vague dialogue instructions made you backtrack even more. As much grinding as that promoted, it still wasn't enough to actually survive the hard dungeons.

I loved it because the soundtrack was extremely good and soothing. Medieval setting, whistle harpsichord stuff. At the time, the 3D effects weren't so bad since things hadn't really settled in other 3D projects yet. My stepbrother about died laughing at the dialogue once but we had no idea it was just a mistake. The medieval war story seemed tragic enough to captivate my young mind.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Holy poo poo Beyond The Beyond! That was the first Playstation game I bought. And I tried so hard to love it.

My main memory of that game was that there was this villain chick that had cursed one of your party members, and for a decent portion of the game, you’re on the run from her, as I recall. So at one point, you get to this like church or something, and there’s a sliding panel puzzle that you walk on to move the panels around. What you’re supposed to do is form an image of a woman’s face and then the church or whatever will open. But it was just a miserable thing for young me to figure out. Queue me walking away from the puzzle, only to be met—by total surprise—by the evil lady and her band of dudes, then shoved into a fight that I’m sure was unwinnable. All as punishment for not being able to solve a puzzle. What awful design. Easily solved by just not walking away from it once you’ve started working on it, and as I remember there was a save point nearby but I always thought that was pointlessly cruel.

Grown up me wonders if that fight was actually winnable or not. Doubt it though since it was used as a railroading trick.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

BurningBeard posted:

Grown up me wonders if that fight was actually winnable or not. Doubt it though since it was used as a railroading trick.

GameFAQs posted:

*** Make sure that you don’t go back to the Church without completing the
puzzle. If you do go back, Ramu and two Ork Lords will find and attack your
group. You can defeat this group, but not without a lot of help, and by “help,”
I mean using the GameShark. Ramue has tens of thousands of HP and unless you
level up all your characters outrageously, you won’t be able to defeat her. The
total prize for defeating Ramue and the two Ork Lords is 1024 experience and 400
gold. Individually, Ramue herself will give you 900 exp. and 300 gold, while the
Ork Lords will give you 62 exp. and 50 gold each.***

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
It's supposed to be a scripted unwinnable battle, but I was shocked to find this recording earlier:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrDukeB5aPw&t=83s

Notice what happens even if you win it :allears:

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Sep 23, 2020

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

sakuraba's work on the ps1 was godly

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Man goons are just the best.

And that game was just the worst.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
One of the things that stood out from that game is how small all the HP values are. Like hitting double digit damage was a big deal. I don't like how a lot of modern stuff goes into the hundreds of thousands or even millions, but the numbers in BtB were so low I just couldn't give a poo poo about any of it.

Still played the game a ton though.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Happy Thread posted:

It's supposed to be a scripted unwinnable battle, but I was shocked to find this recording earlier:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrDukeB5aPw&t=83s

Notice what happens even if you win it :allears:

Lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

One of the things that stood out from that game is how small all the HP values are. Like hitting double digit damage was a big deal. I don't like how a lot of modern stuff goes into the hundreds of thousands or even millions, but the numbers in BtB were so low I just couldn't give a poo poo about any of it.

Still played the game a ton though.

Sounds like Paper Mario, and one of the best things about that game is that the numbers are ones you can actually count to.