Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

My laptop is old and it takes six hours for windows update to work. I need a new one. But I like the idea of a roomba vacuuming poo poo so I don’t have to. Which one should I get?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

a zen mindset can make cleaning the floor a peaceful and beautiful thing. laggy laptops just suck rear end.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

get that new roomba that can suck your dick too

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Normally I'd say laptop because PC master race but have you considered a really fancy custom dragon dildo?

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

buy both from china, and enjoy

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Get iPad

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Get a leaf blower from a yard sale and blast everything out the window, vacuums are for chumps.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

only one of those can be used for shitposting OP

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

I have a Roomba, it's really not as good as you'd think. You have to set up like sensor zones and it'll get stuck on random poo poo. It's also loud so you don't really want to run it at night if you'll hear it when you sleep.

We used it for some weeks/months but it became such a pain in the rear end we stopped. If it doesn't find its way back to the base station it'll just die somewhere random, it'll get wrapped up in all sorts of pet toys, etc.. So you basically have to do all of the pre-vacuum cleaning steps as much, you just don't need to drag a vacuum around as much.

I'd save the money and buy a nice Dyson like the V8 which is cordless, super good, and you can vacuum way faster.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
you got carpet or hard wood? if it's wood you can the "braava" whcih is a lot cheaper and works good.

you may also get a chromebook and remote into a powerful clod computer to use real software =D

if u want....

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Smythe posted:

you got carpet or hard wood? if it's wood you can the "braava" whcih is a lot cheaper and works good.

you may also get a chromebook and remote into a powerful clod computer to use real software =D

if u want....

Is this the same cloud the forums use?? Because if so then I’d rather not.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
if you really gave a poo poo about sweeping/vacuuming you would just do it like once every 2 weeks
youre on a computer right now. youre into computers you want a laptop. youll use a laptop

for hardwood floors get a dry mop thats like 3 or 4 feet wide

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I got one of the really high-end roombas and it owns.
Like...it loving owns bones and does actual vacuum stuff.

If you were going to get some cheap rear end poo poo, or a knock-off where people were like "idk why I got this it just spins around and does dust collection?" Ok. then get the laptop.
But I'm telling you, if you get the high end Roomba that actually kicks rear end?

Well, honestly it kicks rear end. I have two dogs. I let it run on my main floor 2-3 times a week, and it's a HIPAA filtration vacuum and it rocks. Probably the cheaper poo poo and knock-off brands or whatever don't do the job, and that's understandable - this thing knocks it out of the park and I wholey endorse it.

e: let's say you were gonna spend $600-900 on a vacuum anyhow for a real good one - ish? Just get the freaking roomba. That's what I'm saying.

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Nov 10, 2019

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Big Beef City posted:

I got one of the really high-end roombas and it owns.
Like...it loving owns bones and does actual vacuum stuff.

If you were going to get some cheap rear end poo poo, or a knock-off where people were like "idk why I got this it just spins around and does dust collection?" Ok. then get the laptop.
But I'm telling you, if you get the high end Roomba that actually kicks rear end?

Well, honestly it kicks rear end. I have two dogs. I let it run on my main floor 2-3 times a week, and it's a HIPAA filtration vacuum and it rocks. Probably the cheaper poo poo and knock-off brands or whatever don't do the job, and that's understandable - this thing knocks it out of the park and I wholey endorse it.

Have you been dog pooped by the roomba yet? I was looking for the high end ones and that’s my one legitimate concern with getting one

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

the kentucky quid posted:

Have you been dog pooped by the roomba yet? I was looking for the high end ones and that’s my one legitimate concern with getting one

No I have NOT, and my old dog is blind and prone to accidents. He just sorts of shies away from it. We have not been pooped so far and it's going on I guess a couple years.

all I can say is that I really and truly DO endorse it. It's really freaking great. You have to get the "expensive" one though. But holy moly is it worth it. If you're considering it? Do it.

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Nov 10, 2019

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

nothing warms my heart more than hearing the triumphant sound of a roomba returning to home base after doing its job. Just don't go with the cheap one, grab the one with the scheduling feature. itll be the best decision you'll ever make in your life

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Just stop cleaning your goon lair (as if you needed the push) and buy an aliumware

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking
Lol just vacuum once a week, geez.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

central dogma posted:

Lol just vacuum once a week, geez.

This is a man...

...this is a man who has never heard the triumphal sirens blaring

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
My roombas irregularly driving pattern upsets my ocd. It barely works and gets stuck a lot. I paid like $500 for it. Lol ima dumbass

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

My parents had a roomba in like 2005 and it sucked poo poo. Sounds like they're no better 14 years later lmao.

Get a laptop op.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
I have a Eufy RoboVac 11S that I got for $200 like a year and a half ago and it owns. Sure, it isn't as fancy with crazy awesome high-end wifi mapping etc features like a $700 Roomba, but it has a few really great advantages over any robot vacuum I've tried used over the years:

1. It's exceptionally quiet. I can watch TV or a movie and I barely notice it. I can take a nap or play video games and I hardly notice the thing. By far the quietest robo dude I've ever seen, which is always an issue with other units for me. But it still has strong suction and cleans my apartment very well. Including cat hair!!! Almost never ignores any parts of place. Roombas are fuckin loud and annoying as heck!!
2. It's very thin and low-profile compared to most other robo vacs I've seen. Any Roomba I've tried out never gets under beds, couches, etc that have tiny coverage. My Eufy dude does an awesome job cleaning under my bed and dresser.
3. It doesn't get randomly stuck! Heck yeah!!! Like every Roomba I've tried gets randomly stuck on objects or in the middle of rooms and it almost never happens if I clear my floors of shoes and stuff.

There might be higher-end Eufy models that have wifi mapping and other features you totally don't need at all, but just get the base model 11S because it's great and just works so nicely for a cheap robot dude.

Also Roomba probably has a far better warranty and user-replaceable parts, but who cares when I spent like $300 less than a high-end Roomba? I'll just get a new one when it fails in a couple years.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Nov 10, 2019

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
they need to invent a keurig that does entire pots of coffee all at once and can be jailbroken to use any kind of coffee you want at any strength

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Grab a broom and start doing all the moves with it, physical exercise is good for you

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

bradzilla posted:

My parents had a roomba in like 2005 and it sucked poo poo. Sounds like they're no better 14 years later lmao.

Get a laptop op.

I too had boomer idiots 15 years ago.

What's that like?

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Colonel Cancer posted:

Grab a broom and start doing all the moves with it, physical exercise is good for you
most people dont seem to understand how to sweep effectively and its unsettling. maybe not knowing how to take care of yourself at all is the norm?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

gary oldmans diary posted:

most people dont seem to understand how to sweep effectively and its unsettling. maybe not knowing how to take care of yourself at all is the norm?

I’m hiring my lawn service to rake my leaves bc it’s too much work and cold now.

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

gary oldmans diary posted:

Yup, being able to fold a shirt is like knowing the secret to making Damascus steel.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Colonel Cancer posted:

all of them though?
https://i.imgur.com/8nHIHTt.mp4

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
Get an Ilife from AliX. Their 11/11 sale starts tomorrow, so you can get the V5s Pro, which vacuums and mops floors for about $100 with coupons including shipping. It's very good and totally worth $100.

E: their V3s Pro is about $90, but I don't know how well that works. It's probably fine.

klafbang fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Nov 10, 2019

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

I’m really not big on buy electronics poo poo from Ali express. I’ve seen enough of the Al Jazeera docs on China to know you aren’t getting what it says on the tin.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
If you have cats you should get the roomba. They get all kinds of hosed up about it.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

I have a dog lol

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Install Linux, problem solved.

Seriously, though, depending on what your needs are then a Chromebook might meet be all you need, which might mean cheap enough to make this a both/and rather than an either/or situation.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

the kentucky quid posted:

I have a dog lol

The dog will likely also get really hosed up about it, but possibly in a noisier way

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I just got the eufy BoostIQ 11S robot vac. I've been wanting one for a long time but my floor was so messy and I wasn't about to drop $1000+ on an iRobot. This was $220 so I said gently caress it and it motivated me to clean everything up from my living room and kitchen floors. It works great. It's "dumb" but it's crazy how good of a job it does. It just bumps into walls and objects and goes in weird patterns and I never thought it'd get the whole floor but it got everything. I never think it will and I don't know how but it has always managed to find it's way home to the charger. Again just bumping around until it finds it. It picks up a ton of dirt too. The first time I ran it I had to empty the tiny reservoir 4 times, albeit my floor was pretty dirty.

It got into 2 places where I was sure it'd get stuck in but I just sat and watched while it did this to get out in about 10 seconds.

I love it.

This:

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

I have a Eufy RoboVac 11S that I got for $200 like a year and a half ago and it owns. Sure, it isn't as fancy with crazy awesome high-end wifi mapping etc features like a $700 Roomba, but it has a few really great advantages over any robot vacuum I've tried used over the years:

1. It's exceptionally quiet. I can watch TV or a movie and I barely notice it. I can take a nap or play video games and I hardly notice the thing. By far the quietest robo dude I've ever seen, which is always an issue with other units for me. But it still has strong suction and cleans my apartment very well. Including cat hair!!! Almost never ignores any parts of place. Roombas are fuckin loud and annoying as heck!!
2. It's very thin and low-profile compared to most other robo vacs I've seen. Any Roomba I've tried out never gets under beds, couches, etc that have tiny coverage. My Eufy dude does an awesome job cleaning under my bed and dresser.
3. It doesn't get randomly stuck! Heck yeah!!! Like every Roomba I've tried gets randomly stuck on objects or in the middle of rooms and it almost never happens if I clear my floors of shoes and stuff.

There might be higher-end Eufy models that have wifi mapping and other features you totally don't need at all, but just get the base model 11S because it's great and just works so nicely for a cheap robot dude.

Also Roomba probably has a far better warranty and user-replaceable parts, but who cares when I spent like $300 less than a high-end Roomba? I'll just get a new one when it fails in a couple years.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

CaptainSarcastic posted:

a Chromebook might meet be all you need
that would look great under a thick coat of dust

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I always wondered, if you get two roombas and turn them on at the same time, do they go over the same parts of the floor or do they talk to each other. Is there a roomba manager unit to divvy up the work? What happens if the roombas run into each other? Do they get a day off to recoup, and how would the manager punish them since they don’t “feel” pain? :thunk:

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Install Linux, problem solved.

Seriously, though, depending on what your needs are then a Chromebook might meet be all you need, which might mean cheap enough to make this a both/and rather than an either/or situation.

I need this laptop for the kart track so it can do data analysis for this loving $700 data logging system Im getting lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
If you have a cool cat that will ride around on the roomba, go for that. Sheer entertainment and joy is worth it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QSA6_kdzc4

It's like a little floating emperor. Baron Harkonen style.

Definitely check out 4:05.