Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I thought i heard goon consensus was that 3 and 4 were dog poo poo garbage? While you can't touch Alien and Aliens for how good they are (and different) i did enjoy 4 a little more than 3. Post your certified grade-A alien opinions here

also lets not talk about prometheus or covenant, two movies that actually ARE dogshit bad, objectively

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
gay mower man

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
I think you should finish this marathon with aliens vs predator movies.

On halloween I watched all men and black movies and so far I think the first one is the best.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Edgar posted:

On halloween I watched all men and black movies and so far I think the first one is the best.

we are planning on watching all the predator movies then the avp movies to finish it off

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
Nice, the new Predator movie is ok but the autistic kid angle doesn't make sense.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Edgar posted:

The first one is so sick, Vincent D'Onofrio is what really sells it.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

There’s more than four alien movies

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

Edgar posted:

Wasn't the second one basically a burger king / mercedes benz / lara flynn boyle commercial

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret

bird with big dick posted:

If you include Prometheus and it's sequel alien covenant

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015
I still own my vhs copy of Alien: resurrection. Take that for what you will.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Edgar posted:

Nice, the new Predator movie is ok but the autistic kid angle doesn't make sense.

They made Predator autistic?

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:hmmyes: GBS does need 2 Aliens threads, that and the first are indeed good enough movies to meet the arbitrary criteria I just created.

The directors cut of Aliens makes it substantially better imo, so from an A+ to another A+S+++.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Anyone that thinks 3 or 4 are miles better than Prometheus or covenant is wrong and dumb. All four are in the same ballpark, which is not bad but not good.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

BaconCopter posted:

:hmmyes: GBS does need 2 Aliens threads, that and the first are indeed good enough movies to meet the arbitrary criteria I just created.

The directors cut of Aliens makes it substantially better imo, so from an A+ to another A+S+++.

oh i missed the other one somehow

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

I'm sure Mr. The Frown would enjoy contributions to his thread post count crowning achievement. I still have like a thousand posts to read.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

star eater posted:

oh i missed the other one somehow

It's always on the first page because it's so awesome. You are a fool for missing it.

Here is the best thread on SA

Also I hear the OP has a huge dick.

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret

Who What Now posted:

it spends the whole movie trying to find the perfectly shaped skull

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Alien(s) are all time greats, 3 & 4 are not ...good... but would not be notably garbage films by any means if they weren't following up the first two.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Edgar posted:

it spends the whole movie trying to find the perfectly shaped skull

So autistic and a phrenologist?!

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

I'm just concerned with Brody/Trejo screentime and have no interest in rastas or detectives.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Anyone that thinks 3 or 4 are miles better than Prometheus or covenant is wrong and dumb. All four are in the same ballpark, which is not bad but not good.

Wow, its hard to be so wrong.
Covenant is the terrible, and in a just dont watch it way. Its superbad, nowhere near the ballpark of 3,4, Prometheus.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Came here to post this

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Oh god I'm so lonely in here...
:negative:

Meskhenet posted:

Wow, its hard to be so wrong.
Covenant is the terrible, and in a just dont watch it way. Its superbad, nowhere near the ballpark of 3,4, Prometheus.

Last winter I went through all these movies with a friend because she hadn't seen any of them and I own the Alien quadrilogy. We continued through the predators and then AvPs and Prometheus kinda by air date.

Prometheus had a bunch of flaws but was still a fun part of the franchise and actually left us both excited for Covenant, which I hadn't seen yet. Good God, Covenant took any good idea they had from Prometheus and ruined it. We were both in shock at how poorly that movie played out.

All in all we decided the predator franchise is more enjoyable and far less preachy.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
I fell asleep during Covenant in the theater and it was the only film I got up and took a leak and got the free refill on the popcorn and soda.

Even the worst movies that I’ve paid money to see I will sit all the way through on principle, I gotta get my seven plus dollars worth, man.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

bossy lady posted:

Wasn't the second one basically a burger king / mercedes benz / lara flynn boyle commercial

it was about how women will either destroy or save the world, but only if men who love them will accept this fact, so mercedes benz

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The baby in resurrection is the grossest one by far.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

So I probably should just never watch AvP 2 or Covenant, huh?

Hot take: 3 > Prometheus > 4 > AvP

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Covenant is an absolute cinematic abortion of a movie, you should watch it

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Unpopular opinion, but 3 was my favourite alien movie. The mood, the acting, the general look. I just enjoy it the most.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Edgar posted:

I think you should finish this marathon with Commando.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:
Alien 4 had short haired Winona Ryder also seeing that ugly baby huey xenomorph get sucked out a tiny hole into space was kinda cool.

Edit: also that backwards basketball throw Sigourney did was real.

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Alien is the best (unrelated to movies, but Isolation is great too if you like video games. Near perfect attention to detail and the retro-future aesthetics of Alien. A nice glimpse of what could've been if they kept the tone of Alien).

Aliens hosed it up with the tone but in the best way possible. It's an undeniably great and classic movie with some of the best one-liners in modern cinema. Plus social commentary on the Vietnam war that isn't obnoxious.

Alien 3 isn't great but it's also far from horrible. It come down to the viewers preferences. I'm pretty indifferent about it.

Alien Resurrection was "so cool" when I was 11, but it's fairly bad once you're no longer a tween. It had some great art design, but it's not enough to distract from the cheesy bits of the movie. But hey that laser that melts the cube of whisky is still pretty cool, and Sigourney Weaver made a real no peepin over the shoulder dunk in the basketball scene.

Prometheus/Covenant are fine if you don't mind Ridley getting back at corporate big wigs by mutilating alien because they didn't let him make the unrelated to alien space gods movies he wanted to.

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

4 is weird because it was directed by that weird French guy

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Telebite posted:

4 is weird because it was directed by that weird French guy

They shoulda got that weird Dutch guy, might have been a contender for top 2 in the series.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Get this: Joss Whedon wrote Alien 4, and heard that everyone thought it sucked so he put a line in the TV show Angel where a dad guy really likes the Alien films "except for that last one", as a wink to his fans, like "heh yeah I know it was pretty bad but we still good though right? :rolleye: ". But Joss it's like, you can't poo poo on the kitchen table then jump off and point at it and go "ain't that a piece of poo poo, fellas?" It's still a huge turd and it's gonna smell and you better scoop it up I gotta eat my corn flakes.

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

Who What Now posted:

No but the movie introduces the concept that Predators are travelling the universe splicing their dna with that of the various aliens they encounter in order to steal their best abilities and become the ultimate life form. The Predator’s goal in the new movie is to kidnap an autistic kid and steal his autism because the predators believe it is the next evolution of man whilst the kid’s dad and his army friends try to rescue him.

At the end of the movie the autistic kid even builds his dad a predator suit of his own to fight the predators in a sequel that will probably never get made.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
alien 4 had a very watchable cast

Chrs posted:

At the end of the movie the autistic kid even builds his dad a predator suit of his own to fight the predators in a sequel that will probably never get made.
thats not what happened. a predator was sending a gift to the human race in a suit that would enable them to fight predators that have decided to reap what they can from earth
meanwhile predators are only coming to harvest the planet because they determined were going to cause our extinction via climate change so maybe a better gift would be something help us not do that

the predator was a terrible movie and its a shame the title is so nearly ambiguous with the original

that suit had a whole lot of this goin on

gary oldmans diary fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Nov 11, 2019

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Chrs posted:

No but the movie introduces the concept that Predators are travelling the universe splicing their dna with that of the various aliens they encounter in order to steal their best abilities and become the ultimate life form. The Predator’s goal in the new movie is to kidnap an autistic kid and steal his autism because the predators believe it is the next evolution of man whilst the kid’s dad and his army friends try to rescue him.

That's... offensive as well as incredible stupid and bad.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

They all suck, sorry.

Yeah I know I'm in the minority and I can live with this great shame. IMO they all blow rear end and are extremely over-rated. I'm not pickin' up what they're layin' down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Watched first Alien when I was like 11-12, despite being warned it was super scary by my parents.

Chest bursting scene is still probably one of the top 10 funniest moments in cinema for me.

3/4? Eh, not too bad imo. Been a while since I saw them tho.