Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Nothing really comes close to Mad Max: Fury Road for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

I forgot It's Such A Beautiful Day came out in 2012. I don't know anyone who watched it who didn't tear up.

That's a really great movie. I still need to track down The World of Tomorrow Part Two.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

It's Such a Beautiful Day is a serious contender for Top Ten greatest films ever made. Nothing else this decade has come close to the pathos and cosmic beauty and longing.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This is a top 25 I made recently. Knives Out and Parasite are two more recent watches that might make it in in a later date, but I need more distance from them both.

01. Her
02, The Tree of Life
03. Before Midnight
04. Mad Max: Fury Road
05. Lady Bird
06. The Master
07. The Social Network
08. Boyhood
09. Inside Llewyn Davis
10. The Grand Budapest Hotel
11. Detention
12. Spring Breakers
13. Under the Skin
14. Enter the Void
15. Phantom Thread
16. Melancholia
17. Suspiria
18. Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
19. Inherent Vice
20. Roma
21. Holy Motors
22. Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
23. Frances Ha
24. Everybody Wants Some!!
25. The Florida Project

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Had some time to mess around today so I finished her off. I tried to make it a little more than a list. Some of these are older blurbs I wrote back in the day.

25. The Jinx (2015)

Errol Morris pastiche blended with miraculously deep access to the mind of a killer.

24. Moneyball (2011)

Subtly the best sports film of the teens. Bennett Miller movies are going to age really well.

23. The Wolf of Wall Street (2013)

One of the more uncomfortable theater viewings as the boisterous audience slowly realizes they want to be this guy.

22. Widows (2018)

Steve McQueen made his Heat. That's some major cineaste fanfic.

21. Moonlight (2016)

Original, captivating, complex, and emotionally devastating. And what a musical score.

20. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (2019)

I'm the last guy to get romantic about Hollywood, but thematically speaking, the film nails its own argument for nostalgia and the fantasy of a valley never robbed of its innocence.

19. The Challenge (2016)

This is my film festival deep cut to earn hipster street cred. Wish it were more available.

18. Tangerine (2015)

Somehow captures an unprecedented visual truth from the most filmed city in the world.

17. World of Tomorrow (2015)

It's Such a Beautiful Day is also great but genrefying the same style was an easy way to draw me in further.

16. Inside Llewyn Davis (2013)

Is Llewyn Davis the scribe of his own miserable life, or is he merely a victim of traumatic circumstances, a man whose voice sings pure beauty but whose soul just doesn't shine brightly enough? He's stuck trying to figure this out, although he doesn't do himself many favors. The folk songs are wonderfully performed, mostly by Oscar Isaac, and they truly anchor the emotional weight of the film. Like the music Llewyn plays, he's never new and he never gets old; he's a folk song.

15. Kurt Cobain: Montage of Heck (2015)

Brett Morgen has established himself as the preeminent archival collage artist of our time.

14. O.J.: Made in America (2016)

Follows what is usually the worst documentary impulse to broaden its narrative scale to an outrageous degree and winds up with a thrilling, intelligent, and moving national epic.

13. The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014)

Anderson's best, maybe forever.

12. The Turin Horse (2011)

It's Bela Tarr's best movie. Go ahead and @ me.

11. Phantom Thread (2017)

PTA never seems to settle for anything less than complex emotions that you simply can't stop going over in your head. In one moment we'll find the principals entwined in palpable yet completely unspoken affection, and the next their fallible, selfish tendencies will blast them apart again, and for some reason the thread never feels lost in their chaos. The photography is unbelievable and the music is as inscrutable and delicious as the story

10. Roma (2018)

Photography that rivals Soy Cuba; didn't think anybody had the ambition anymore.

9. Cameraperson (2016)

Great documentaries tend to have one or two magical moments in them where a decisive moment in reality is captured just right. This is pretty much a 90-minute collection of such moments from one person's perspective shot all over the world. Autobiographical documentary does not get enough love.

8. Blade Runner 2049 (2017)

Would have been #1 but Edward James Olmos is barely in it.

7. The Tree of Life (2011)

This feels like even more of a miracle in lieu of the meandering nonsense Malick has been trotting out since (still haven't caught the new one).

6. Inside Out (2015)

The hardest I cried at a film this decade.

5. Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018)

The biggest step in animation since Toy Story.

4. The Great Beauty (2013)

My favorite European movie of the decade is some kind of perfection of the continent's overall cinematic tradition.

3. Interstellar (2014)

I could go on about it forever, but at minimum, the docking sequence is the best lone scene in any movie I've seen the past ten years.

2. Spring Breakers (2013)

I've had to argue for this movie so often since it came out. It is so loving truthful about the generation it portrays that it seems to scare people. I know these characters in real life. They live in small towns all over. They are my friends.

1. The Look of Silence (2015)

I walked out of this movie and decided I had to make documentaries, and that's what I've been doing since. Nothing's going to top that kind of experience.

I doubt this list will be shaken up in the next couple of months but who knows! Movies are great, aren't they?

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Kull the Conqueror posted:

13. The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014)

Anderson's best, maybe forever.
Thought it was a bit uneven throughout, but had my mind blown when twee boy was capable of this (spoilers obviously):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixqssrRLTvc

12. The Turin Horse (2011)

It's Bela Tarr's best movie. Go ahead and @ me.
how the gently caress did i forget to put this on my list. edit made

11. Phantom Thread (2017)

PTA never seems to settle for anything less than complex emotions that you simply can't stop going over in your head. In one moment we'll find the principals entwined in palpable yet completely unspoken affection, and the next their fallible, selfish tendencies will blast them apart again, and for some reason the thread never feels lost in their chaos. The photography is unbelievable and the music is as inscrutable and delicious as the story
How it was able to capture the look of an 80s Merchant Ivory production will never cease to amaze me

Movies are great, aren't they?
a-men

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Twin Cinema posted:

Imagine going back to 2010 to tell people this?

I haven't seen I'm Still Here, but I will always appreciate that level of performance art. Tim Heidecker's basically made a career out of the same concept.

edit: The Master was released in 2012, so by 2011, people would have been looking forward to that one early on.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Phoenix also delivered one of the best performances of 2017/18 in You Were Never Really Here. So between Her, The Master, Inherent Vice, You Were Never Really Here, and Joker, I do think you can make a strong argument that he's the actor of the decade. The Sisters Brothers was very good too but he didn't stand out quite as much in that one.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Phoenix also delivered one of the best performances of 2017/18 in You Were Never Really Here. So between Her, The Master, Inherent Vice, You Were Never Really Here, and Joker, I do think you can make a strong argument that he's the actor of the decade. The Sisters Brothers was very good too but he didn't stand out quite as much in that one.

"Don't Worry, He Won't Get Far on Foot" is also an incredible performance. Really, it's one of the most emotionally mortifying depictions of alcoholism I've seen.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Coaaab posted:

3) Two Days, One Night (Dardennes, 2014) - Still brutal, relevant, tender. The brothers' greatest triumph.

Not really sure how I missed this. My rating system might need some reassessment because I think you're probably right that it's their best film and they're some of the greatest directors working today. I mean, maybe Kid with a Bike is better but...wait a second...Kid with a Bike is from this decade too! Ah, poo poo. My list is trash.

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019

Basebf555 posted:

For me his performance in Joker is one of the best of the decade if only because he was able to sidestep a lot of those issues that the film could have fell into (incel propaganda etc) and fully form the character as someone who, while someone you can truly feel bad for, you still know is rotten. Hell, that bathroom dance scene by all accounts should have been one of the worst scenes of the year but he managed (with the help of the soundtract tbf) to make a really powerful and beautiful moment out of it.

Really this dovetails into why I'm debating if my favorite film of the decade is Joker. I went into it willing to roll my eyes at a movie that jerked itself off over ~PC CULTURE~ and was a training tool for incels to hurt people, but it never felt like it was a celebration of this ~BADASS JOKER KILLER WHO KILLS THE CUCKS~ rather than a look at how miserable and awful life can be for those with mental instabilities (full disclosure, I have had mental issues in the past and still do) who are in the worst circumstances.

I felt bad for Arthur, but the film does a great job at showing how with no help, no positive outlets, in a time and place where mental illness is ignored or mocked someone with those issues can stew and become toxic and form into a violent killer.

OpenSourceBurger fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Nov 12, 2019

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Joaquin Phoenix is my favorite actor of the 2010s and Charlize Theron my favorite actress. You might not know that they co-starred in a much earlier film, 2000's The Yards. Probably because it was a total piece of crap!

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

One of my favorite overlooked Phoenix movies is To Die For. It’s a great film with some awesome performances by Phoenix and Nicole Kidman as the adulteress who talks Phoenix into murdering her husband, played by Matt Dillon. It really ushered in the era of internet and viral celebrities. Ileana Douglas is in it and recently did a spot for TFH about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avCU62QvqwI

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

OpenSourceBurger posted:

For me his performance in Joker is one of the best of the decade if only because he was able to sidestep a lot of those issues that the film could have fell into (incel propaganda etc) and fully form the character as someone who, while someone you can truly feel bad for, you still know is rotten. Hell, that bathroom dance scene by all accounts should have been one of the worst scenes of the year but he managed (with the help of the soundtract tbf) to make a really powerful and beautiful moment out of it.

Really this dovetails into why I'm debating if my favorite film of the decade is Joker. I went into it willing to roll my eyes at a movie that jerked itself off over ~PC CULTURE~ and was a training tool for incels to hurt people, but it never felt like it was a celebration of this ~BADASS JOKER KILLER WHO KILLS THE CUCKS~ rather than a look at how miserable and awful life can be for those with mental instabilities (full disclosure, I have had mental issues in the past and still do) who are in the worst circumstances.

I felt bad for Arthur, but the film does a great job at showing how with no help, no positive outlets, in a time and place where mental illness is ignored or mocked someone with those issues can stew and become toxic and form into a violent killer.

It's too bad the Joker thread is so full of shitposting BROUGHT TO YOU BY GANG WEED or whatever.

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019

sean10mm posted:

It's too bad the Joker thread is so full of shitposting BROUGHT TO YOU BY GANG WEED or whatever.

It sucks because I really love comic movies and stuff like that but every thread dedicated to them here devolves into "comic movies? you mean bullshit baby movies for stupid loving idiots?"

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Franchescanado posted:

I haven't seen I'm Still Here, but I will always appreciate that level of performance art. Tim Heidecker's basically made a career out of the same concept.

edit: The Master was released in 2012, so by 2011, people would have been looking forward to that one early on.

If my memory serves me correctly, I think he was doing that character for a while before the mockumentary was even hinted at being released. Which, you are right -- the level of performance art for that level of celebrity is amazing.

I am surprised my favourite film of the 2010s hasn't been named -- 20th Century Women. I guess I thought it was more highly thought of than it seems to be.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

Looking at my Criticker rankings and setting it to just films from the past decade these were my top ten:

1. Mad Max: Fury Road
2. Drive
3. Edge of Tomorrow
4. The Act of Killing
5. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
6. Inside Out
7. The Tree of Life
8. Nightcrawler
9. Spider-man: Into the Spiderverse
10. Maniac

Pain & Gain is obviously #11

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

sean10mm posted:

You can fix it by going to the thread and making your own serious posts, or by noticing that that drops off pretty fast by page 2 or so.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
A few of the ones ive watched at least a half dozen times:

Chappie
Dredd
Hugo
Gravity
Fury Road
Cloud Atlas
Django Unchained
The Artist
Seven Psychopaths
Skyfall

Probably a couple more i cant remember right now

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Realized I left off Haywire (2011) which I really enjoyed.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
You could put the top four and the next six in any order, but I wanted to show Take Shelter some love. I've been a little bit underwhelmed with Jeff Nichols' last few movies, but he and Michael Shannon are absolutely at the top of their game in Take Shelter. Also holy poo poo was 2011 a tremendous year for Jessica Chastain.

1) Take Shelter (2011)
2) Frances Ha (2013)
3) Drive (2011)
4) Gravity (2013)

5) The Tree of Life (2011)
6) The Nice Guys (2016)
7) Phantom Thread (2017)
8) La La Land (2016)
9) Inception (2010)
10) Her (2013)

I don't ever quite know what to do with Inception. I think I like it a little less every time I watch it (boy is there a lot of exposition and making up rules on the fly), but the experience the first time around was just so undeniable that I can't find it in me to hold its lack of rewatchability against it.

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD
Just want to say thanks to a bunch of you with some fantastic write-ups. Makes me realise that I missed out on quite a few!

While not perhaps the best, I want to add Predestination here. I'm especially impressed how tight it is, with a run time of barely over 90 minutes. It feels so much longer, in a very good way.

Best I've seen this decade is likely Moonlight for me.
It Chapter 1, for something completely different, ranks high as well.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Here's the A.V. Club's top 100 movies of the 2010s.

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD

Thanks, I really like the way the summarize the movies on this list.
Went through the entire list actually.
Reading their summaries, I don't understand why I have postponed watching Boyhood and Manchester by the Sea. I need to fix that, fast.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Even as a pretty big Linklater fan, I didn't care much for Boyhood at all. Different strokes, though.

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm pretty bad at keeping up with new movies, and ranking them so heres an alphabetical list

A Separation
Certified Copy - if I had to pick a single best for the decade, this would be it.
Enemy
Enter The Void
Final Cut: Ladies and Gentlemen
Girl Walk//All Day
Holy Motors
The Hunt
Hypernormalization
Inside Out
It's Such a Beautiful Day
The Master
Nightcrawler
OJ Simpson: Made in America
Snowpiercer
Spiderman: Into the Spiderverse
The Tree of Life
The Turin Horse
Welcome to Leith
Whiplash
Wiener Dog
You Were Never Really Here

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD

General Dog posted:

Even as a pretty big Linklater fan, I didn't care much for Boyhood at all. Different strokes, though.

Yeah I read through the comment section of the A/V list and it seems pretty divided. I'll give it a go and see which side I land on.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

AV Club's 50-100 rankings are better than their 1-50.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
I know it's movies and all, but I really think Chernobyl should be on this somewhere. It is a 4 - 5 hour movie in effect.

Some of the best cinema I've seen all year.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

I know it's movies and all, but I really think Chernobyl should be on this somewhere. It is a 4 - 5 hour movie in effect.

Some of the best cinema I've seen all year.

It's crazy good.

Brought to you by the man behind... The Hangover Part II? Identity Thief?

:wtc:

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
so did everyone itt just not see Mandy or

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Clipperton posted:

so did everyone itt just not see Mandy or

It's alright

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

General Dog posted:

It's alright

i'm not saying put it in the top 10 but leaving it off a top-25 or -50 list is bizarre :colbert:

(i would definitely put it in the top 10)

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Gotta make room for the Youtubes and TV shows on the Best Movies list.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Mandy had an incredible first third and an okay last two thirds.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

General Dog posted:

Gotta make room for the Youtubes and TV shows on the Best Movies list.

I mean, I could see the new Twin Peaks and that Grain Silo movie ending up on some lists.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I would put Twin Peaks on my list of best TV, personally.

I am glad several people listed Sex House (which is not a movie) though, because it made me go back and watch Sex House for the first time since its initial run.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Mandy is a neat movie that's not as good as Mom And Dad as far as super violent unhinged Cage performances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

I liked Mandy a lot but I dunno never really came close to cracking my Top 50. A good, bloody psychotronic film I would absolutely watch again and I don't have anything negative to really say about it other than that there's dozens of movies this decade that are better.