Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/SportsnetPR/status/1193983313272279040

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
I just saw the documentary on Detroit's Red Line last week, and getting this news today after seeing his comments about Federov and the guys is very satisfying.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Levitate posted:

I think this is one of those "in fact you do not have to hand it to him" moments

no he was terrible and his opinions were bad but they were bad in a very unique way that was extremely funny. hockey is slightly less interesting because of it, even if it is Good And Just

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Not OK Boomer

Porrima
Oct 18, 2012

The world is fucked
and so are you.

Thanks, humanity
Is this going to make so many horrible people with good old conservative values so mad, that they make the world a worse place than it would have been with Don Cherry on air, is what I think about whenever things like this happen.

Maybe that just stupid spectrum talking, but I'm so down on how the world is going nowadays.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

rest in piss

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

grack posted:

Ron's face pretty much sums it all up.

Never forget his incredibly ill thought out :thumbsup:

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

Nah the rumour was they wanted to fire him over the summer, this is just a great excuse. He costs way too much these days. Paying some replaceable young broadcaster to read tweets live on air is far cheaper.

Yeah, I think long term he was done regardless, but if he wasn’t a piece of poo poo about it, they probably would have would have “let him retire” Bob Cole style at the end of the year rather than telling him to GTFO.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

100% he refused to apologize and saw nothing wrong at all with what he said

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.

FBS posted:

quote:

Wow - He's the ONLY reason I watch!

Don Cherry is a Canadian staple and this is so very upsetting!

gently caress you Sportsnet!

"I watch a 3 hour hockey game for the 7 minutes of ranting by a sundowning octagenarian"

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

fits posted:

brian burke, come on down!!

gently caress yeah

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
me taking time out my job to say this doesn't represent Canada:

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Number19 posted:

100% he refused to apologize and saw nothing wrong at all with what he said

Which is the difference between this and the blackface thing, among a million others. An apology goes a long way in Canada, sorry

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
Yeah all he had to do was apologize and lay low, he would have been back on the air in a couple of weeks.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

fits posted:

brian burke, come on down!!

Same ok boomer views about hockey, but replacing the “support are troops” segment with a weekly pro-LGBTQ+ rant would be hilariously awesome.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
gently caress Don Cherry.

I'm sure he'll end up on whatever the Canadian equivalent of Fox News is to blame the "pinkos" and "leftists".

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

RIP you incoherent racist windbag.

https://youtu.be/kIAvaw0TFBQ

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

ThinkTank posted:

Can't believe I missed 'loony left' on my list of upcoming Cherry quotes.

https://twitter.com/journorosa/status/1193374056394960901?s=08

Good lord

Dr Zaius
Jan 2, 2001

Smells Like Team Spirit

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

RIP you incoherent racist windbag.

https://youtu.be/kIAvaw0TFBQ

This is my favourite one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Rj7HyzoJ4c

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I give it a week tops before he shows up on barstool

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

me taking time out my job to say this doesn't represent Canada:

That guy's brother got elected premier of the largest province, so it kinda does these days.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

don is gonna run for public office fueled by spite and on the sole platform of fully defunding the cbc

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
:lol: So long, Grapes! Should have happened years ago.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

yellowcar posted:

don is gonna run for public office fueled by spite and on the sole platform of fully defunding the cbc

PPC just got its celebrity candidate.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

I completely forgot about these, there goes the rest of my afternoon.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Now do Gene Principe!

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Oh yeah, a forums prize to whoever finds the full video of the Christmas 2007 Coach's Corner, where he goes from ranting about Andrew Ference and environmentalism, to Chris Simon and indigenous peoples, to an image of a big pile of ammo. Part of it is still on youtube as "don cherry on natives" and it's also the origin for the excerpt that starts Dear Coach's Corner. It used to be on youtube in full as "DON CHERRY IS EFFIN CRAZY" but it's been gone for years now.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

how can you be voted greatest canadian and then refuse to say sorry

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
In case you’re wondering: yes, this is top headline breaking news across Canada.

Good riddance, gently caress you Don.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

ThinkTank posted:

That guy's brother got elected premier of the largest province, so it kinda does these days.

Doug Ford is probably going to make a public statement about this and it's gonna be unreal good.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Hand Knit posted:

Doug Ford is probably going to make a public statement about this and it's gonna be unreal good.

i cannot wait

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
rip piano man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdJp5-g69go

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Hand Knit posted:

Thank you for making my day

GoonGPT
May 26, 2006

Posting for a better future, today!
Eat poo poo Don, this was 20 years too late in coming

Dr Zaius
Jan 2, 2001

Smells Like Team Spirit
I'm the only Canadian on the discord I frequent and no one understands how monumental this is.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

The only good don cherry clip https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPd4FIiGt1s

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
also apology or not, don mclean should absolutely get the axe too over this. he's the most squirrely loving dweeb, he knew absolutely what he's getting into and where Don was gonna go

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
Our only regret is that we can only fire don cherry once.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

also apology or not, don mclean should absolutely get the axe too over this. he's the most squirrely loving dweeb, he knew absolutely what he's getting into and where Don was gonna go

nope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

inferis posted:

how can you be voted greatest canadian and then refuse to say sorry
:golfclap: