Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Kingnothing posted:

Piling on,

CPU Bottleneck testing on RTX 3080

i7-4770k vs i5-6600k benchmarks

The lowest grade CPU they tested is similar in speed to what you have (but also OC’d), but like Klyith said the 4 thread/8 thread thing will matter a bunch.

Additionally, even if you had a similar speed cpu with 8 thread, at 1080p the bottleneck is massive. Like nearly 50% vs a top line cpu, and still huge against a 3600.

Userbenchmark is a really bad tool, they're literally banned from multiple hardware subreddits for loving with data and then doubling down hard when called on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
I'm looking to upgrade my PC to play Cyberpunk 2077 when it comes out. My current desktop is hella old, I built it around 7 years ago, but I have replaced things like the RAM, and SSD as time went by.

Here is what I currently have

https://imgur.com/a/laZV8R3

I think the CPU is probably too old, and the graphics card probably showing it's age. Is it worth upgrading my PC, or just buying a new one? I'm worried my old motherboard can't handle a newer graphics card or CPU

Sexual Aluminum fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Sep 18, 2020

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Sexual Aluminum posted:

I'm looking to upgrade my PC to play Cyberpunk 2077 when it comes out. My current desktop is hella old, I built it around 7 years ago, but I have replaced things like the RAM, and SSD as time went by.

Here is what I currently have

https://imgur.com/a/laZV8R3

I think the CPU is probably too old, and the graphics card probably showing it's age. Is it worth upgrading my PC, or just buying a new one? I'm worried my old motherboard can't handle a newer graphics card or CPU

The motherboard is too old to support any new CPU worth buying and your ram is DDR3 so thats not able to move up either.

It’s definitely basically new computer time.

The graphics card is lower end and very old on top of that.

Edit: The only thing you would be able to reuse would be like the power supply (maybe) and like the case.

Hard drives too can be used again of course.

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007

Klyith posted:

^^^edit: the 6600K has some extra problems with AAA games due to the 4core/4thread thing.

Yes, and unfortunately no. The 6600K is turning into a pumpkin on AAA games because more and more of them are demanding more than 4 threads. Everyone with a 6600K is in the same boat as you, which means that i7s sell used for stupid high prices.

A 3600 + B550 only costs like $50 more than 6700Ks on ebay, and is a major upgrade. You can re-use your DDR4 ram, or if you will resell the core of your old system I would get new ram as well.

Yeah changing the mobo etc. is tempting. My monitor's 1440p 144hz so I suppose the bottleneck is less pronounced but I'll give those two items you mentioned serious thought.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

spunkshui posted:

The motherboard is too old to support any new CPU worth buying and your ram is DDR3 so thats not able to move up either.

It’s definitely basically new computer time.

The graphics card is lower end and very old on top of that.

Edit: The only thing you would be able to reuse would be like the power supply (maybe) and like the case.

Hard drives too can be used again of course.

Doh that’s what I was afraid of.

When I built this all those years ago I used MMO Champions Build of the Month. Is there a site that will give you a price point and a link to the parts to buy that anything can recommend?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Doh that’s what I was afraid of.

When I built this all those years ago I used MMO Champions Build of the Month. Is there a site that will give you a price point and a link to the parts to buy that anything can recommend?

https://www.logicalincrements.com/

Logicalincrements is pretty alright for getting an idea for a baseline for a price point. Look up a price point, and then pick some parts on the list at that tier, bring it back here, and we will help you pick it apart and suggest better parts at that price point.

Their recommendations get flaky at the extreme end of things but back in the land of sane midrange computer buyers they're ok.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Sep 18, 2020

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

If your psu is 7 years old, unless it was top-end when new, you probably shouldn't plug it into $1000+ of new hardware.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I have an Aorus Elite Wifi X570, and my fans spin up more aggressively than I'd like. I've played with the fan curves (which is annoying with a super slow mouse for whatever reason), but what I really want is to have some more hysteresis, such that I have to stay at a higher temperature longer to trigger an increase in fan speed. I can't find a setting that looks like that in the BIOS, so I think I'll have to use Windows fan software. What's recommended? I can't manage to see any fans in SpeedFan, which I think is what I used for this purpose several builds ago.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
has anyone compared the perf gains on going from a 1070 to a 3080 at 1920x1200? are they completely bananas?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

ETPC posted:

has anyone compared the perf gains on going from a 1070 to a 3080 at 1920x1200? are they completely bananas?

Depends on how CPU bound you are

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
My laptop is dying a slow and painful death so I'm looking to finally make the jump and build my first desktop rig.

What country are you in? New Zealand

What are you using the system for?  Gaming and photo editing in Lightroom

What's your budget? Up to $2,500 NZD for the PC, single monitor, keyboard and mouse

If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? I don't play big AAA titles or competitive online games so I don't need 4K Ultra Crysis settings, but something that looks good and runs fast would be preferred.

Computer Lounge here has some pre-built systems that can be customised so I'm looking at this as a starting point. I'll need WiFi and would prefer an SSD to the HDD but I've got no clue what other changes I should make.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

ETPC posted:

Over 100% gains if you remove cpu scaling from it.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Sirbloody posted:

Is Intel still king when it comes to the CPU? I am debating building a new desktop and I been itching to try a ryzen processor but the i5 10600k just seems to be so drat good. I haven't built a desktop in a few years so my next build I plan on doing a full water-cooling set up and some possible overclocking. Besides the video card (3080 so good luck there) the only other thing i have picked out is my overly large T900 case (I either wanted to go as small as possible or stupidly large for the case this time)

A 10600k is 5-10% faster than a 3600xt or 3700x for gaming based on pre 30xx series graphics cards. And overall the 10900k is about 10% faster than the 3900xt with an RTX 3080. If you are watercooling a 10600k or 3600xt/3700x system would cost about the same, and the higher power use on Intel is less of an issue. One other thing to consider is AMD supports PCIE 4, Intel doesn't. Generally where the graphics card is the bottleneck a 3080 would show some improvement on PCIE 4. Like in Control, and Death Stranding at 1440p, the 3900XT outperforms the 10900k with a 3080 on the kitguru benchmarks, but it is a pretty small difference, max 5%.

If you don't already have a 3080 I would wait until Oct 8 for the Zen3 announcement before buying a CPU, there is a good chance that the newest AMD CPUs are comparable or better than a 10600k, and they will support PCIE 4.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.

Kingnothing posted:

i currently have a kaby lake but i might go with a ryzen in november

aegeryn
Oct 14, 2006
My old rig is on its last legs and needs retiring. It's ancient enough that I won't be bringing over any parts except the monitor and peripherals, maybe the case, so I'm looking for a whole new system that I can put together as cheap as possible.

What country are you in? United States
What are you using the system for? Gaming
What's your budget? As low as possible while still being considered "worth it." Ideally, $700 USD at the upper end, but I can go a bit over.
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? 1080p/60. I definitely don't need full on :pcgaming: maximum settings, the games I mostly play are low requirement indies, Overwatch, FFXIV, things along those lines. Something that can play Cyberpunk, even at modest settings/30 FPS would be nice, but if I have to upgrade a cheaper rig later to play things that require more power, that's fine.

Edit: Used the Logical Increments site orange juche linked above, I put this together, tweak freely, goons:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($199.98 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI X470 GAMING PLUS MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Value 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2666 CL19 Memory ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($104.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: ASRock Radeon RX 570 4 GB Phantom Gaming D Video Card ($138.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Antec P7 Silent ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.42 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA BR 500 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ Walmart)
Total: $728.34
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-09-18 21:20 EDT-0400

aegeryn fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Sep 19, 2020

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Friend of mine who is running a Ryzen 5 3600 on a B350 board due to various circumstances is looking to get a new motherboard, but has a relatively modest budget. Are A520 boards ok? If so, is there a generally recommended one? I see several in stock on newegg at decent prices.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.

orange juche posted:

Over 100% gains if you remove cpu scaling from it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNJ1RHUnX9s

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

aegeryn posted:

My old rig is on its last legs and needs retiring. It's ancient enough that I won't be bringing over any parts except the monitor and peripherals, maybe the case, so I'm looking for a whole new system that I can put together as cheap as possible.

What country are you in? United States
What are you using the system for? Gaming
What's your budget? As low as possible while still being considered "worth it." Ideally, $700 USD at the upper end, but I can go a bit over.
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? 1080p/60. I definitely don't need full on :pcgaming: maximum settings, the games I mostly play are low requirement indies, Overwatch, FFXIV, things along those lines. Something that can play Cyberpunk, even at modest settings/30 FPS would be nice, but if I have to upgrade a cheaper rig later to play things that require more power, that's fine.

Edit: Used the Logical Increments site orange juche linked above, I put this together, tweak freely, goons:

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: MSI X470 GAMING PLUS MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Value 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2666 CL19 Memory ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($104.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: ASRock Radeon RX 570 4 GB Phantom Gaming D Video Card ($138.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Antec P7 Silent ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.42 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA BR 500 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ Walmart)
Total: $728.34
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-09-18 21:20 EDT-0400

Better mobo, better RAM, better SSD mainly:

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: MSI B550M PRO-VDH WIFI Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($56.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($104.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1650 SUPER 4 GB WINDFORCE OC Video Card ($169.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($48.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair CXM (2015) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($69.93 @ Newegg)
Total: $760.86
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-09-18 21:42 EDT-0400

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Sep 19, 2020

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
What he said. I would get a higher quality PSU if you can make it fit.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
If you want to hit that $700 budget, I would consider a 2600 since it's $60 cheaper than a 3600. The 3600 is 10% to 15% faster, but you are not close to being CPU bound. (you can take the savings and put it right into a graphics card if you want)

I guess that does limit you to a B450 but I don't think that's the end of the world: this one seems pretty good for the price and this one is one of the few reasonably cheap ones that has a BIOS flash button if you want a potential CPU upgrade to be simpler.

e: the general go-to for a value PSU at the lower price end is a non-modular Corsair CX.

FreeKillB fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Sep 19, 2020

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

aegeryn posted:

I would not buy jack poo poo right now unless your computer is actually dead and you can't play anything at all. Since you are on a budget I would not buy the 3600 at $199. I also would not buy 2600 unless it is on the used market at a discount (100 dollars). Lisa Su is going to step on stage in just under 3 weeks time to talk about Zen 3 and when Zen 2 launched around 18 months ago, it drove prices on the previous-gen CPUs down hard for several months and you could pick up some real bargains.

If the trend is similar this time around, you could easily see the 3600 and the 3700X be forced down to the 110 and 200 dollar price points respectively (around this time last year you could have snagged a 2700X for $199) before the stock dried up. You can also potentially scoop up used 3600 and 3700Xs from people like (potentially) me who might jump on the Zen 3 bandwagon just for shits and giggles.

What's wrong with your system right now? Can we get a stop-gap solution in there like a decent budget 1080p card to tide you over till the main swap over? Don't worry about the Ampere and RDNA 2 launches coming up. They aren't targetted at budget gamers so if you can just get a 1660S or a 5600XT right now to tide you over before migrating to the new platform, that is something you can think about.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Handling this in reverse order,

Subjunctive posted:

so I think I'll have to use Windows fan software. What's recommended? I can't manage to see any fans in SpeedFan, which I think is what I used for this purpose several builds ago.
SpeedFan is sadly kaput, it hasn't been updated for like 5 years and so does not work on any vaguely modern mobo.

The options these days are either Argus Monitor (which is good but not free) or using whatever software your mobo manufacturer makes (which is probably hateful).

Subjunctive posted:

I have an Aorus Elite Wifi X570, and my fans spin up more aggressively than I'd like. I've played with the fan curves (which is annoying with a super slow mouse for whatever reason), but what I really want is to have some more hysteresis, such that I have to stay at a higher temperature longer to trigger an increase in fan speed. I can't find a setting that looks like that in the BIOS,

Gigabyte calls their thing update or temerature interval, but from googling around I think it's not a true delay so not as good as MSI & Asus's method. MSI I'm pretty sure is real hysteresis, because you can set it different amounts for up and down and it does seem to ramp faster when I blast prime95 than just loading a game. I've had a lot of MSI mobos and I run hot and cold on whether they're a "good brand", but I do really like their fan control.

For advice about setting fan curves, make sure that your case fans are set to a system temperature, or failing that chipset. That should have a fair amount of delay built-in since those are measuring ambient case temperature. Then set your CPU to a fairly gentle slope with most of the control points down around your normal operating range. (The secret of most BIOS fan control is the control points should be connected with stair steps, not a straight line.)

aegeryn
Oct 14, 2006

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll keep what you guys posted in mind and drop a final build here before I pull any triggers. $760 is more than I was hoping to spend, but I can stretch things a little if it's worth it.

MikeC posted:

What's wrong with your system right now? Can we get a stop-gap solution in there like a decent budget 1080p card to tide you over till the main swap over? Don't worry about the Ampere and RDNA 2 launches coming up. They aren't targetted at budget gamers so if you can just get a 1660S or a 5600XT right now to tide you over before migrating to the new platform, that is something you can think about.

Right now I'm dealing with Windows fuckery (slow boot times, random reboots, desktop and start menu breaking, among other things) even after a reformat that I've narrowed down to not my RAM or SSD. My current rig is running an i5 2500k, 8GB of DDR3-1600, a GTX 960 that I upgraded from a 550, and I don't even know what power supply, it's old as balls. Can run some recent things at low settings, but I got the new Modern Warfare and it can't play for poo poo even at minimum, so it's about time to rip off the bandaid and get something new.

Definitely taking that advice to hold off to heart, though. A hundred bucks off the processor sounds pretty drat nice.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

aegeryn posted:

Right now I'm dealing with Windows fuckery (slow boot times, random reboots, desktop and start menu breaking, among other things) even after a reformat that I've narrowed down to not my RAM or SSD. My current rig is running an i5 2500k, 8GB of DDR3-1600, a GTX 960 that I upgraded from a 550, and I don't even know what power supply, it's old as balls. Can run some recent things at low settings, but I got the new Modern Warfare and it can't play for poo poo even at minimum, so it's about time to rip off the bandaid and get something new.

Definitely taking that advice to hold off to heart, though. A hundred bucks off the processor sounds pretty drat nice.

That is weird. A full reformat and fresh windows are preserving the same problems? You sure you don't have malware? It would be nice to know the bare minimum "must-have" features you want out of your motherboard. You might have to go really stripped down here to fit everything in.

Just to be clear you are not getting this performance in CoD?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ze8NCwORSwo

aegeryn
Oct 14, 2006

MikeC posted:

That is weird. A full reformat and fresh windows are preserving the same problems? You sure you don't have malware? It would be nice to know the bare minimum "must-have" features you want out of your motherboard. You might have to go really stripped down here to fit everything in.

Just to be clear you are not getting this performance in CoD?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ze8NCwORSwo

Pretty positive I'm malware free, I put in a fresh harddrive and RAM sticks, reinstalled Win10, started downloading the FFXIV client first thing, and went about half an hour before Windows Explorer died. Restarting hanged for a long while before I blue screened and shut her down for the time being. Not the slightest clue what could be causing it, but middle click and drag scrolling websites wouldn't work for several minutes every time I booted up shortly before all this crap went down. As for mobo features, as long as it can support the parts I'm being recommended so far, I'm good. Wasn't planning on fitting in a sound card, stacks of HDDs/SSDs, excess fans, or whatever else.

Definitely didn't get performance remotely that good. I had a slow, uneven performance for a few missions, got to one early on where you're given a headscarf overlay that flickered badly, then it consistently crashed to desktop. This was... two, three months ago? Fairly recently.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
hello can somebody confirm that the latest driver for the H81M-E33-V2 motherboard is 6.8?

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Zeta Acosta posted:

hello can somebody confirm that the latest driver for the H81M-E33-V2 motherboard is 6.8?

i don't know what you mean by "driver for the motherboard" (that is an ambiguous thing to say). MSI's support site for the board seems to be loving up right now, but the internet archive has a snapshot of the site from 2017, and the board is old enough that i feel comfortable saying there almost certainly haven't been any updates since then

here you go

latest bios is version 11.5, if that's what you meant

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Kingnothing posted:

Since I'm in the same theoretical boat (1070 to 3080) I've got an i7 6700k in my machine. How much would that limit me.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Arcsquad12 posted:

Since I'm in the same theoretical boat (1070 to 3080) I've got an i7 6700k in my machine. How much would that limit me.

i7 6700K doesn't have the major problem the 6600K does since it has hyperthreading. If you're OCing that puppy it's still a decent CPU, and my advice to other 6700K owners ITT has been that if I had one I'd be stretching it out until DDR5 platforms come out. If you're not OCing get those free gainz!

How much you're CPU limited depends on your screen resolution. At 4k, the 3080 is relatively balanced with an OCed 6700K. At 1440 you're gonna be CPU limited, and TBH a 3070 is more appropriate to an under-4K screen anyways.

VVV edit: yeah a 3080 is a major overbuy in that case. wait for the 3070 / whatever AMD has coming

Klyith fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Sep 19, 2020

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Perhaps a 3070 would be better then because I was only planning to jump to 1440p. 1080p has been my standard for a while and leaping to 4k is a few extra hundos I could spend elsewhere.

I guess I could pair upgrading my processor with getting a new mobo. My current one is fine but the thread sings the praises for the b450 so eventually ill switch. Probably end up getting a new tower as well just to really ship of theseus things.

My goal is to build something that can kill a total war game, since they are notorious CPU hogs.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Sep 19, 2020

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

Perhaps a 3070 would be better then because I was only planning to jump to 1440p. 1080p has been my standard for a while and leaping to 4k is a few extra hundos I could spend elsewhere.

I guess I could pair upgrading my processor with getting a new mobo. My current one is fine but the thread sings the praises for the b450 so eventually ill switch. Probably end up getting a new tower as well just to really ship of theseus things.

My goal is to build something that can kill a total war game, since they are notorious CPU hogs.

I’ve been referencing these benchmarks when looks at cpu bottleneck.

https://www.tomshardware.com/features/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-ampere-cpu-scaling-benchmarks

The answer is potentially a lot at 1080p, and minimally at higher.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Klyith posted:

For advice about setting fan curves, make sure that your case fans are set to a system temperature, or failing that chipset. That should have a fair amount of delay built-in since those are measuring ambient case temperature. Then set your CPU to a fairly gentle slope with most of the control points down around your normal operating range. (The secret of most BIOS fan control is the control points should be connected with stair steps, not a straight line.)

Thanks, I tuned my stuff more aggressively and it's doing OK now. I'm going to find some game to play and watch the temps. I maxed the "temperature interval", since it can go to 5 from the Windows software but only 3 from in the BIOS?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Arcsquad12 posted:

I guess I could pair upgrading my processor with getting a new mobo. My current one is fine but the thread sings the praises for the b550 so eventually ill switch. Probably end up getting a new tower as well just to really ship of theseus things.

Fixed, the B450 Tomahawk Max was the old generic suggestion but there are a bunch of mATX B550 boards that are just kind of better for roughly the same money like the B550M Bazooka.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Klyith posted:

i7 6700K doesn't have the major problem the 6600K does since it has hyperthreading. If you're OCing that puppy it's still a decent CPU, and my advice to other 6700K owners ITT has been that if I had one I'd be stretching it out until DDR5 platforms come out. If you're not OCing get those free gainz!

How much you're CPU limited depends on your screen resolution. At 4k, the 3080 is relatively balanced with an OCed 6700K. At 1440 you're gonna be CPU limited, and TBH a 3070 is more appropriate to an under-4K screen anyways.

VVV edit: yeah a 3080 is a major overbuy in that case. wait for the 3070 / whatever AMD has coming

i have my 6700k at 4.4ghz and honestly its still really showing its age. even xcom2 chugs in a long campaign and its constantly apparent in something like TW:3K

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'm also in that boat and it appears that you won't get the full jump, but it's still a very significant upgrade.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Verviticus posted:

i have my 6700k at 4.4ghz and honestly its still really showing its age. even xcom2 chugs in a long campaign and its constantly apparent in something like TW:3K

Xcom 2 -- which is a game I like, so I say this with love -- is a badly optimized trashfire that chugs on a NSA supercomputer. Total War is one of the more CPU-heavy games available, and that's one where the additional cores of a new build would be more helpful than pure ghz.

So yeah, there are some games that it's getting old for, and if the games you play are the ones it struggles on your money may vary. I think if you're more of a strategy type player, waiting on DDR5 is less of a big deal. So a build on the current Ryzen platform is maybe more appropriate.

Everybody has a different line for how long they'll tolerate a going-out-of-date PC, so deff make your own call. And while waiting a couple months for Zen 3 is probably tolerable, waiting ??? months for DDR5 might not be. It could be 2022 before that's out.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Are we expecting DDR5 to produce some dramatic leap in real world system performance out of the gate? Because my recollection is that going from DDR3 to DDR4 wasn't exactly revolutionary.

ChubbyPitbull
Dec 10, 2005
Awww....look how OHMYGODMYHAND!
Been out of the computer-building game for awhile, and a friend asked me for some recommendations on a gaming PC for their kid Who is starting to look behind Fortnight. Sadly no budget but "wants to get one that will be good." I initially pointed him to Skytech or NZXT for a prebuilt but they expressed interest in assembling one with their kid as it could be a good learning experience. I recommended a desktop over a laptop for price, and they don't need wifi as they already have an ethernet drop where they would be putting the computer.

I wanted to send him a current "solid" gaming PC build as well as a budget option.

For the "solid" build I put together this:

quote:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($199.98 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($34.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($82.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($65.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($99.99 @ Adorama)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB PULSE Video Card ($399.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($97.89 @ B&H)
Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($99.98 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($108.78 @ Other World Computing)
Case Fan: ARCTIC P12 PWM PST 56.3 CFM 120 mm Fan ($13.94 @ Amazon)
Total: $1204.51
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-09-19 17:52 EDT-0400

And for a more budget option that still had some horsepower I came up with this:

quote:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($114.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($82.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($65.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($69.98 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1660 6 GB VENTUS XS OC Video Card ($204.99 @ B&H)
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P300A Mesh ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA BQ 500 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Walmart)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($108.78 @ Other World Computing)
Total: $767.69
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-09-19 17:59 EDT-0400

What would be some good ways to get the "budget" option cheaper without making major compromises on the gaming side? Lower-clock memopry seemed like only ~$10 savings or so, and wasn't sure what were safe bets to save more on the video card.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

sean10mm posted:

Are we expecting DDR5 to produce some dramatic leap in real world system performance out of the gate? Because my recollection is that going from DDR3 to DDR4 wasn't exactly revolutionary.

No, but it'll necessitate a new Mobo and cpu regardless of what you have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

ChubbyPitbull posted:

What would be some good ways to get the "budget" option cheaper without making major compromises on the gaming side? Lower-clock memopry seemed like only ~$10 savings or so, and wasn't sure what were safe bets to save more on the video card.

#1 thing is not paying full price for the windows key. SA mart has 2 key resellers, or using a 7 or 8 key from any old computer they have. This may be a more difficult proposition for something that you're setting out for your friend though, as it seems sketchy on the surface.

Non-samsung SSDs: samsung are nice, but more expensive than other drives of similar quality from WD & Crucial. The WD SN550 is a very frequent recommend IIT.

sean10mm posted:

I dunno, you're right that judging by history it may not be a massive leap. But there are benefits in terms of being more able to do piecemeal upgrades. Though that also depends if Intel joins AMD in offering long-term socket upgrade support, or if AMD joins Intel in saying "gently caress you, pay me" for constant mobo upgrades...