Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Heat is not an issue as said.

Outside of the ESD bag is not ESD safe, only the inside is.

That being said, best thing to do is build on a cardboard box. Tear up a shipping box or use the mobo box. Ideally you don’t build on carpet, and just try to discharge by grabbing something metal first if you can.

Thanks to you and Butterfly! I can do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pahonix
May 29, 2004

Hooked on pahonix workid for meh!

Pahonix posted:

So it seems this build is just out to frustrate me. I got motherboard on the box, cpu, cooler, ram, m.2 ssd, and gpu all installed. Power supply is chillin on the table next to it with the motherboard power cable and cpu power cable hooked up as well as the gpu power cable hooked up. Monitor is plugged in via display port and a usb mouse is plugged in.

Powered up the system and the little LED diode thing lights up next to DRAM on the motherboard and the LED readout thing says "c5" briefly before it settles on "0d". Pics:

Tried with all four dimms in, then just two of the dimms, then the other two dimms, same result every time. Anyone have any suggestions on what to try next?

Edit: BIOS was flashed prior to these attempts to boot.

Pretty sure I found the culprit.

FML. Is there any hope? Or did I just wash $550 down the drain?

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Pahonix posted:

Very flat pliers.

Very steady hands.

Very slow movements.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Pahonix posted:

Rip.

Last time that happened to me was like 15 years ago, but I was able to say it shipped OOB bent and get a refund or exchange. Might be worth pursuing before taking a plier risk.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010

Pahonix posted:

Is that a crack in the base wafer across the corner?
That’s not great.

For bent pins a tweezers or a hollow tube end from mechanical pencil can be used as well to straighten.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

iv46vi posted:

Is that a crack in the base wafer across the corner?
That’s not great.

For bent pins a tweezers or a hollow tube end from mechanical pencil can be used as well to straighten.

I was just about to mention a mechanical pencil, helped me rescue a college buddy's proc many years ago. Yeah if that PCB is cracked it might be hosed.

I haven't built with AMD since like 2006. They still use pins???

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

cubicle gangster posted:

It was the drivers! Samsung has drivers for their drives I guess.

spent hours on that. thought I had it in the wrong slot at first so moved it, then realized that was the wrong slot and moved it back.

Even if everything's looks fine in Device Manager I suggest installing the motherboard chipset drivers. Maybe I missed it but I didn't think I had the Trusted Platform Module showing up before that, even as an unknown device. Even if it was there it didn't work.

South
Apr 9, 2001

I am the highest paid lifeguard in the world. Love me.
How accurate is microcenters website for specific stores? There is a store 2 hours away that says it has 3060tis in stock but only for in store purchase. I don’t want to make the drive if they don’t have the card.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

one stick is bad
two new sticks
three good ram sticks

I shouldn't run these in non-DC mode, right?

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

South posted:

How accurate is microcenters website for specific stores? There is a store 2 hours away that says it has 3060tis in stock but only for in store purchase. I don’t want to make the drive if they don’t have the card.

I think it varies a bit by store - I've found my store reliable, but have seen reports of incorrect stock amounts for other stores. Honestly I'd think the bigger problem might be that those two get gobbled up by people who live closer in the 2 hours it takes to drive there.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I would appreciate any input on this. I'm planning to piece everything together over a few weeks/months if I can snag any good sales.

What country are you in? NH, USA (not close enough to the Microcenter in Boston)
What are you using the system for? Gaming, general internetting
What's your budget? $1200ish, including the graphics card
Monitor resolution / refresh rate? 3440x1440, 144 Hz. I don't need to hit 144 Hz on everything I play, but I'd like to run stuff on Ultra and above 60 fps.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Adorama)
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5 g Thermal Paste ($5.97 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING II ATX AM4 Motherboard ($129.00 @ Walmart)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($79.95 @ B&H)
Storage: Western Digital SN750 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($128.00 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Black 4 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon RX 6800 16 GB Video Card
Case: Fractal Design Focus G ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ B&H)
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($124.99 @ Best Buy)
Optical Drive: LG WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($0)
Case Accessory: NZXT Aperture M Card Reader
Custom: StarTech 4 Port PCI Express PCIe SuperSpeed USB 3.0 Controller Card ($41.55 @ Adorama)
Total: $919.43
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-02-20 14:34 EST-0500

Some other notes: I know a blu ray drive is stupid, but I already have it and I intend to have some sort of optical drive on this build. I threw in a card reader and some extra USB ports since I would prefer not to have externals laying around. If anyone knows any better choices for those, I would love to hear it. I also don't expect to get any graphics cards anytime soon, so I will probably put my 1070 Ti in there if I have everything else together. That card is just over 2 years old, while the rest of my current build is 8+. I also don't care about RGB stuff since my computer stays under my desk, so I would take any suggestions for savings there.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Deeters posted:

I would appreciate any input on this. I'm planning to piece everything together over a few weeks/months if I can snag any good sales.

What country are you in? NH, USA (not close enough to the Microcenter in Boston)
What are you using the system for? Gaming, general internetting
What's your budget? $1200ish, including the graphics card
Monitor resolution / refresh rate? 3440x1440, 144 Hz. I don't need to hit 144 Hz on everything I play, but I'd like to run stuff on Ultra and above 60 fps.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Adorama)
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5 g Thermal Paste ($5.97 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING II ATX AM4 Motherboard ($129.00 @ Walmart)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($79.95 @ B&H)
Storage: Western Digital SN750 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($128.00 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Black 4 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon RX 6800 16 GB Video Card
Case: Fractal Design Focus G ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ B&H)
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($124.99 @ Best Buy)
Optical Drive: LG WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($0)
Case Accessory: NZXT Aperture M Card Reader
Custom: StarTech 4 Port PCI Express PCIe SuperSpeed USB 3.0 Controller Card ($41.55 @ Adorama)
Total: $919.43
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-02-20 14:34 EST-0500

Some other notes: I know a blu ray drive is stupid, but I already have it and I intend to have some sort of optical drive on this build. I threw in a card reader and some extra USB ports since I would prefer not to have externals laying around. If anyone knows any better choices for those, I would love to hear it. I also don't expect to get any graphics cards anytime soon, so I will probably put my 1070 Ti in there if I have everything else together. That card is just over 2 years old, while the rest of my current build is 8+. I also don't care about RGB stuff since my computer stays under my desk, so I would take any suggestions for savings there.

If you intend to use the optical drive like once a year, you could get a better case and just connect the optical drive with the case open when you need it. That’s what I do.

Also not sure what you mean about the extra USB ports and why you added them.

Not that the RX6800 is a terrible card, but if you’re waiting months anyway I’d probably try and grab a 3060/3060Ti at MSRP. Price/perf is generally better.

On a $1200 build an SN750 is overkill, I’d save the $30 (or use it towards a better GPU or a 5600) and get an SN550.

That price is also very high for a 4TB drive. There’s almost no reason for a WD black drive.

Banzai 3
May 8, 2007
I'm only here for the weekly 24 bitchfest.
Pillbug

Banzai 3 posted:

What country are you in? - USA. I do have a Microcenter nearby.
What are you using the system for? Web and Office? Gaming? Video or photo editing? Professional creative or scientific computing? - Gaming and streaming. Primary use will be iRacing (which is extremely single-core CPU heavy) but I'd also like to be able to run other new releases.
What's your budget? We usually specify for just the computer itself (plus Windows), but if you also need monitor/mouse/whatever, just say so. - $3k including a monitor, and this is starting from scratch (only a mouse and headset will come over).
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? - I'm looking for a 34" ultrawide, which is included in the build below. GFX wise, I'm looking for quality and smoothness at 144hz, which is why I'm looking at a 3080. I am willing to pay a bit more to make this system last a good chunk of time.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-10700K 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor ($369.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black 55 CFM CPU Cooler ($69.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: *Gigabyte Z490 UD ATX LGA1200 Motherboard ($139.99 @ B&H)
Memory: *OLOy WarHawk RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($169.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: *Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($312.25 @ Amazon)
Video Card: *EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB XC3 BLACK GAMING Video Card ($779.99 @ Adorama)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: *SeaSonic FOCUS 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($109.98 @ Newegg)
Case Fan: ARCTIC F12 PST 53 CFM 120 mm Fans 5-Pack ($38.99 @ Amazon)
Monitor: *MSI Optix MPG341CQR 34.0" 3440x1440 144 Hz Monitor ($771.99 @ Newegg)
Keyboard: Logitech K120 Wired Standard Keyboard ($12.99 @ Monoprice)
Total: $2876.09
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-01-18 16:22 EST-0500

Since this post (that didn't get any feedback, which I think is good) I've managed to get a 5900x, 3080, and some extra budget, so it's time for the rest of the build. I also checked in the monitor thread on the monitor specifically.

There are a few changes based on continuing to read the thread and I'm planning on getting a flash drive for BIOS flashing, but as someone that hasn't done a build before, am I missing anything, or have I made any fatal flaws (I know this is a bit overboard)? Do I need a fan controller? Thermal paste? Anything else? Is this motherboard overkill?

I'm planning on buying in the next few days, so feedback is much appreciated.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 3.7 GHz 12-Core Processor ($549.00)
CPU Cooler: Scythe Mugen 5 Rev. B 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-E GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard ($261.17 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($169.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($224.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB FTW3 ULTRA GAMING Video Card ($950.00)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: *SeaSonic FOCUS 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($109.99 @ B&H)
Case Fan: ARCTIC P12 PST 56.3 CFM 120 mm Fans 5-Pack ($40.60 @ Amazon)
Monitor: LG 34GK950F-B 34.0" 3440x1440 144 Hz Monitor ($896.99 @ Adorama)
Keyboard: Logitech K120 Wired Standard Keyboard ($12.99 @ Monoprice)
Total: $3355.70
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-02-20 15:37 EST-0500

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Building a new rig as both a home PC and for gaming, although I'm not bothered about running things at max settings or anything. GPU market looks crazy so I'm sticking with my two year old one for now. For simplicity's sake (2 young kids at home so time is limited) I'm considering buying this bundle - https://www.scan.co.uk/products/3xs-b550-hardware-bundle-amd-ryzen-5-5600x-asus-strix-b550-f-16gb-rgb-ddr4-amd-wraith-stealth

A friend is pointing out that for similar money I could go with an i7-10700-3.8 (so 8 cores and 16 threads), which apparently matches up with consoles in terms of cores, as well as get slightly better ram.

How significant would this jump be? Is there a third way to go? I had assumed AMD were still ahead so was surprised to be recommended an Intel. Trying to gauge whether it's worth the extra hassle.

Any help very much appreciated.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

If you intend to use the optical drive like once a year, you could get a better case and just connect the optical drive with the case open when you need it. That’s what I do.

Also not sure what you mean about the extra USB ports and why you added them.

Not that the RX6800 is a terrible card, but if you’re waiting months anyway I’d probably try and grab a 3060/3060Ti at MSRP. Price/perf is generally better.

On a $1200 build an SN750 is overkill, I’d save the $30 (or use it towards a better GPU or a 5600) and get an SN550.

That price is also very high for a 4TB drive. There’s almost no reason for a WD black drive.

Thanks. That motherboard has 7 USB ports and I wanted more total, so I found a PCIe card to expand that. The card reader was to have one less thing on my desk. I use it often with cameras. Would a "better" case just mean more airflow since there's no optical drive or card reader in the way?

The other stuff is very good info. I'm always happy to find places to save.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Deeters posted:

Thanks. That motherboard has 7 USB ports and I wanted more total, so I found a PCIe card to expand that. The card reader was to have one less thing on my desk. I use it often with cameras. Would a "better" case just mean more airflow since there's no optical drive or card reader in the way?

The other stuff is very good info. I'm always happy to find places to save.

Yeah it’s mostly a you’ll get better cooling instead of using old dead slots.

If you’re using the card reader often i imagine it’s worth it to have one in the case.

Personally I’d probably prefer a large powered USB hub for accessibility reasons rather than shoving more ports into the back of the machine, but that’s a preference thing.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Zalakwe posted:

Building a new rig as both a home PC and for gaming, although I'm not bothered about running things at max settings or anything. GPU market looks crazy so I'm sticking with my two year old one for now. For simplicity's sake (2 young kids at home so time is limited) I'm considering buying this bundle - https://www.scan.co.uk/products/3xs-b550-hardware-bundle-amd-ryzen-5-5600x-asus-strix-b550-f-16gb-rgb-ddr4-amd-wraith-stealth

A friend is pointing out that for similar money I could go with an i7-10700-3.8 (so 8 cores and 16 threads), which apparently matches up with consoles in terms of cores, as well as get slightly better ram.

How significant would this jump be? Is there a third way to go? I had assumed AMD were still ahead so was surprised to be recommended an Intel. Trying to gauge whether it's worth the extra hassle.

The 5600X is a bit faster in gaming while the extra cores of the 10700F can be helpful for multitasking or certain productivity tasks. Personally I would probably go with the 5600X because of the higher per-core performance and gaming performance but either one would suit your needs just fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50qYVdGnCNM

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Zalakwe posted:

Your friend is dead wrong and the 5600x is absolutely the best gaming cpu right now. But you could get equivalent parts to that scan 'deal' for like £100 cheaper.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I'm not sure I have it in me to camp out discords and microcenter for individual parts. Is there anything off the shelf in the 1000-1200 range that is worth it? If I have to I have to, but otherwise it'd be nice to just have a not 7 year old PC.

I have a PS5, so I don't need to run brand new AAA titles or anything, but even just dicking around in Genshin and Valheim makes my PC sound like it's going launch. Basically, I game and do D&D and stuff on my PC.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Saxophone posted:

I'm not sure I have it in me to camp out discords and microcenter for individual parts. Is there anything off the shelf in the 1000-1200 range that is worth it? If I have to I have to, but otherwise it'd be nice to just have a not 7 year old PC.

I have a PS5, so I don't need to run brand new AAA titles or anything, but even just dicking around in Genshin and Valheim makes my PC sound like it's going launch. Basically, I game and do D&D and stuff on my PC.

Well you don't have to sit in the discord you can set up notifications so it doesn't take up much time, I nabbed my 5900X from a discord notification after being totally tuned out for a month because I thought it was hopeless. If you don't want the hassle and just want a prebuilt something like this would probably suit you fine.

https://twitter.com/TechDeals_16/status/1362843568079966213?s=20

There's kind of a big gap between that and the next step up that makes sense IMO but if you want something that will last a long time.

https://twitter.com/TechDeals_16/status/1362343415292207104?s=20

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

MaxxBot posted:

Well you don't have to sit in the discord you can set up notifications so it doesn't take up much time, I nabbed my 5900X from a discord notification after being totally tuned out for a month because I thought it was hopeless. If you don't want the hassle and just want a prebuilt something like this would probably suit you fine.

Naturally, the latter one is out of stock, haha. I mean, I'm currently running a GeForce 660Ti so it's not like PC #1 would be anything other than a massive upgrade, but with the new series out, that puts that card 2 generations behind, right?

Saxophone fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Feb 21, 2021

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Saxophone posted:

Naturally, the latter one is out of stock, haha. I mean, I'm currently running a GeForce 660Ti so it's not like PC #1 would be anything other than a massive upgrade, but with the new series out, that puts that card 2 generations behind, right?

It's actually just one generation old, they had a weird naming scheme for the last gen. It's a Turing card that lacks ray tracing which is why it has the 1000 number, IMO ray tracing doesn't really work well on cards such as the 2060 so it doesn't really matter.

Looks like there's some other 3070 pre-builts in stock.

https://www.newegg.com/abs-ali480/p/N82E16883360075?&quicklink=true
https://www.newegg.com/abs-ali463/p/N82E16883360048?&quicklink=true

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Feb 21, 2021

MmmDonuts
Apr 5, 2010
I've never built a PC before, anything off about this build?

What country are you in? NC, USA
What are you using the system for? Gaming
What's your budget? $1500, open to revising it up a bit.
Monitor resolution / refresh rate? 1440p, 144 Hz. Would prefer to set settings to ultra.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition 57.3 CFM CPU Cooler ($38.78 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard ($129.99 @ ASUS)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($97.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB Founders Edition Video Card
Total: $609.74
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-02-20 19:44 EST-0500

I want to run as cool and quiet as possible, will the cooler I listed do? Is the 3070 powerful enough for 1440p ultra?

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

https://www.microcenter.com/product/626588/dell-xps-8940-gaming-computer

Is that something I could put a better graphics card into in a year or two if I needed to?

Or would it be better to stick to the newegg PC linked earlier?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

MmmDonuts posted:

I want to run as cool and quiet as possible, will the cooler I listed do? Is the 3070 powerful enough for 1440p ultra?

It will 'do' but you can spend an extra $15 or so and get the Scythe Mugen 5, or the Fuma 2 which is the best value cooler for the 5600x imo. Also the mounting system on the 212 is bad.

Regarding the rest of your build, drop the sn750 to a sn550 for no noticeable hit to performance and bump your motherboard up to a b550 chipset for PCIe 4.

3070 is a good match for 1440p high refresh gaming but you won't hit the full 144fps at ultra in all new games, but nor do you with the 3080 tbf.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Saxophone posted:

https://www.microcenter.com/product/626588/dell-xps-8940-gaming-computer

Is that something I could put a better graphics card into in a year or two if I needed to?

Or would it be better to stick to the newegg PC linked earlier?

This has a better CPU than the first prebuilt I linked so if you want to get something now and do a GPU upgrade later this isn't a bad option.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

MaxxBot posted:

This has a better CPU than the first prebuilt I linked so if you want to get something now and do a GPU upgrade later this isn't a bad option.

I initially had a 1500 dollar PC budget, but got a PS5 so spent 350 of it on a new 4k TV (the old tv was even older than the drat dinosaur PC I'm running) so RIP me for leaving myself with an $1150 PC budget.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

MmmDonuts posted:

Monitor resolution / refresh rate? 1440p, 144 Hz. Would prefer to set settings to ultra.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition 57.3 CFM CPU Cooler ($38.78 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($97.99 @ Newegg)

For total cool and quiet I would recommend the Noctua NH-D15 cooler, for 1440p Ultra I would recommend the 3080 but it's a major PITA to get right now. I have the 3080 and even then some games (bleeding edge AAA) don't break 100FPS on 1440p Ultra. If you're fine with 1440p High (which often has negligible visual difference) the 3070 should serve you fine. Also I would recommend a B550 motherboard over B450 because depending on the manufacture date the B450 might not be updated for Ryzen 5000 compatibility. Everything else looks fine.

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Feb 21, 2021

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

MaxxBot posted:

For total cool and quiet I would recommend the Noctua NH-D15 cooler, for 1440p Ultra I would recommend the 3080 but it's a major PITA to get right now. I have the 3080 and even then some games (bleeding edge AAA) don't break 100FPS on 1440p Ultra. If you're fine with 1440p High (which often has negligible visual difference) the 3070 should serve you fine. Also I would recommend a B550 motherboard over B450 because depending on the manufacture date the B450 might not be updated for Ryzen 5000 compatibility. Everything else looks fine.

Disagree here. Fuma 2 is quieter, but will run warmer.

As long as 144hz isn’t the goal, a 3070 is ABSOLUTELY enough for 1440p ultra. I could run 1440p@60hz on most stuff on my 1060 6gb.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

let the anger flow through your salt beef filling
In my experience, the kinds of games where your high esports refresh rate might make a difference (and be noticeable) will be optimized for and consistently hit144hz anyway - games like Valorant, etc. Graphically lush single player games may well hover at around 100fps, which will still feel nicer than 60, but you probably wont feel like you need to hit max framerate. So a 3070 is honestly absolutely fine. Most of the time, I only know that I'm not hitting max framerate because there's a FPS counter in-game telling me so.

To be honest, the main way that 144fps feels really nice is genuinely just in your day to day browsing. Your mouse/windows/scrolling/etc glides around the screen in a way that both makes an appreciable difference, and makes it very hard to go back to a 60hz monitor.

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

MaxxBot posted:

The 5600X is a bit faster in gaming while the extra cores of the 10700F can be helpful for multitasking or certain productivity tasks. Personally I would probably go with the 5600X because of the higher per-core performance and gaming performance but either one would suit your needs just fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50qYVdGnCNM

Butterfly Valley posted:

Your friend is dead wrong and the 5600x is absolutely the best gaming cpu right now. But you could get equivalent parts to that scan 'deal' for like £100 cheaper.

Gents this is deeply appreciated, thanks.

Is there a quick answer why the 5600x performs better. Just more bang for each core?

CapnZStyle
Oct 13, 2009
Posting from my newly built PC and wanted to thank the thread again for the help. As a first time builder, it was pretty straight forward. Biggest hiccups were a missing M2 screw for the SSD and some poor cable management that let a fan cable get into the GPU fan and scared the crap out of me when I powered up the PC for the first time. Still waiting on a couple of case fans and the missing screw to completely finish the build, but it was a really fun experience. (Not counting the anxiety over finding a CPU/GPU, waiting for them to actually arrive, and then not wanting to break them during the build.)

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

CapnZStyle posted:

Posting from my newly built PC and wanted to thank the thread again for the help. As a first time builder, it was pretty straight forward. Biggest hiccups were a missing M2 screw for the SSD and some poor cable management that let a fan cable get into the GPU fan and scared the crap out of me when I powered up the PC for the first time. Still waiting on a couple of case fans and the missing screw to completely finish the build, but it was a really fun experience. (Not counting the anxiety over finding a CPU/GPU, waiting for them to actually arrive, and then not wanting to break them during the build.)

Check the motherboard box like 5 more times for that screw, it's amazing how good they are at hiding. I had one work its way into the user manual once even.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

The Grumbles posted:

In my experience, the kinds of games where your high esports refresh rate might make a difference (and be noticeable) will be optimized for and consistently hit144hz anyway - games like Valorant, etc. Graphically lush single player games may well hover at around 100fps, which will still feel nicer than 60, but you probably wont feel like you need to hit max framerate. So a 3070 is honestly absolutely fine. Most of the time, I only know that I'm not hitting max framerate because there's a FPS counter in-game telling me so.

To be honest, the main way that 144fps feels really nice is genuinely just in your day to day browsing. Your mouse/windows/scrolling/etc glides around the screen in a way that both makes an appreciable difference, and makes it very hard to go back to a 60hz monitor.

Hard agree on all of this. Like, I get 90~ fps at max settings at 1440p with RDR2 on my 3070 and it's great. It's beautiful and buttery smooth. I really don't think I'd be able to tell the difference after about 120 fps anyway, to be honest. 3070 is a real good 1440p/144hz card.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Some Goon posted:

Check the motherboard box like 5 more times for that screw, it's amazing how good they are at hiding. I had one work its way into the user manual once even.

Sometimes they're also taped to the back of the MOBO for some reason

MmmDonuts
Apr 5, 2010

MmmDonuts posted:

PCPartPicker Part List

Thanks for the feedback, here's my revised list:
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: Scythe FUMA 2 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($104.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $637.94
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-02-21 14:52 EST-0500

Anything off with this one?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

MmmDonuts posted:

PCPartPicker Part List

Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($104.99 @ Amazon)

Seems fine to me, that's pretty similar to my build

CapnZStyle
Oct 13, 2009

Some Goon posted:

Thanks for pushing me to look harder. Found them in the support CD sleeve!

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

MmmDonuts posted:

PCPartPicker Part List

This is pretty much what I'm putting together right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
appears you literally cannot purchase a video card? pretty loving cool if you ask me.