Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
It seems 80% of the builds lists here are going with AMD CPU (I'm mostly referring to the 5600x-5900x). Is it preferred over intel (10850k/10900k) because it's more efficient/generates less heat? Are there other factors?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Kragger99 posted:

It seems 80% of the builds lists here are going with AMD CPU (I'm mostly referring to the 5600x-5900x). Is it preferred over intel (10850k/10900k) because it's more efficient/generates less heat? Are there other factors?

Both of those on top of better single core speeds-assuming memory serves well-which are important for gaming. I think the margin of error with I tel is like 5% so an Intel one will get the job done just the same, but AMD is preferred here. I do think there was some data where Intel is better for work stations or stuff where you're running multiple things at once like streaming and such, but again the margin of error is low and overall for gaming the slight edge is on AMD. This is all assuming 5600 and 5800 though, and I think the 5900 was better all around I think.

GPU's is an entirely different story and Nvidia is the Conqueror Worm there.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Kragger99 posted:

Price/Perf isn't even close between the 5000 series AMD cpus and the intel stuff.

https://www.tomshardware.com/features/amd-vs-intel-cpus

feedback loop
Feb 16, 2015

doomrider7 posted:

Both of those on top of better single core speeds-assuming memory serves well-which are important for gaming. I think the margin of error with I tel is like 5% so an Intel one will get the job done just the same, but AMD is preferred here. I do think there was some data where Intel is better for work stations or stuff where you're running multiple things at once like streaming and such, but again the margin of error is low and overall for gaming the slight edge is on AMD. This is all assuming 5600 and 5800 though, and I think the 5900 was better all around I think.

It's the opposite, actually - the i9s can outperform the new Ryzen models in some games, but the Ryzens absolutely smoke any Intel chip for non-gaming tasks. It's not even close.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
No the 5600x is literally a better gaming chip than the 10900k.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

It's also about $100 cheaper, and Intel chipset motherboards tend to be more expensive as well. That's why people keep bringing up price/performance with Ryzen vs Intel, yes Intel may be slightly better in some cases but not so much that it's worth the increased price.

a big fat bunny
Oct 4, 2002

woo look at 'em gonk

Hello PC Building Thread. Welcome to my "Is there any glaring mistakes on this build and also i have stupid questions that a quick search didn't sufficiently answer" post.

What country are you in? USA
What are you using the system for? Video Game
What's your budget? Flexible within reason
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? Been rolling 1440 with a six year old system and it'd be nice if this would at least keep up in another five.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor ($449.00 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Scythe FUMA 2 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard ($209.95 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($159.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($139.15 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 2 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($209.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB FTW3 ULTRA GAMING Video Card
Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh ATX Mid Tower Case ($199.00 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: Corsair LL120 63 CFM 120 mm Fans 3-Pack ($120.99 @ Newegg)
Case Fan: Corsair iCUE SP120 RGB Pro 52 CFM 120 mm Fans 3-Pack ($79.98 @ Amazon) [/i]

The 3080 GPU, 5800x, and CPU fans were more to see power limits. Going to be a 3060 until a miracle lands me a 3080 or 3070 and it's probably going to be a 5600x assuming i can snipe one. And since i mentioned power, if i'm not overclocking would it be a safe bet to just stick to a 650W PSU? Case and CPU Cooler seem okay?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

a big fat bunny posted:

Hello PC Building Thread. Welcome to my "Is there any glaring mistakes on this build and also i have stupid questions that a quick search didn't sufficiently answer" post.

What country are you in? USA
What are you using the system for? Video Game
What's your budget? Flexible within reason
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? Been rolling 1440 with a six year old system and it'd be nice if this would at least keep up in another five.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor ($449.00 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Scythe FUMA 2 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard ($209.95 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($159.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($139.15 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 2 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($209.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB FTW3 ULTRA GAMING Video Card
Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh ATX Mid Tower Case ($199.00 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: Corsair LL120 63 CFM 120 mm Fans 3-Pack ($120.99 @ Newegg)
Case Fan: Corsair iCUE SP120 RGB Pro 52 CFM 120 mm Fans 3-Pack ($79.98 @ Amazon) [/i]

The 3080 GPU, 5800x, and CPU fans were more to see power limits. Going to be a 3060 until a miracle lands me a 3080 or 3070 and it's probably going to be a 5600x assuming i can snipe one. And since i mentioned power, if i'm not overclocking would it be a safe bet to just stick to a 650W PSU? Case and CPU Cooler seem okay?

PSU is worth giving yourself some headroom for later upgrades. It’s both cheaper in the long run and way less frustrating not having to do all your cables again if you have to swap it out. Just go like 20 percent over what you’re planning on and get one with a good warranty.

E:Basically, replacing the PSU or motherboard is the most labor intensive single part to switch out (case too, I guess, but I don’t really see that as a “part” in that sense) so I pick them to last.

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Mar 1, 2021

a big fat bunny
Oct 4, 2002

woo look at 'em gonk

Ugly In The Morning posted:

PSU is worth giving yourself some headroom for later upgrades. It’s both cheaper in the long run and way less frustrating not having to do all your cables again if you have to swap it out. Just go like 20 percent over what you’re planning on and get one with a good warranty.

E:Basically, replacing the PSU or motherboard is the most labor intensive single part to switch out (case too, I guess, but I don’t really see that as a “part” in that sense) so I pick them to last.

Yeah, i get what you're saying. Likely aiming for a 750W that's at least gold rated as far as PSU is concerned. My previous PSU in my current comptuer was getting unstable so i had to swap that out last year. Probably shouldn't repeat that situation once another build is done. It seems like the case will fit what i'm looking to cram into it? The MB will only be changed depending on availability/price/arriving DOA. Was going to go with a 570 for the MB but lots of "that's overkill" to be had in the thread.

i'm also assuming the estimated wattage and compatibility lists on the parts picker site are at least somewhat accurate. i'd love to get these bought and shipped ASAP but it's not like i'm twitching with my hand over a buy button you know. i need some more time to pick through and make sure on some of the finer details but will likely start open palm slamming that buy button later today or tomorrow.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

feedback loop posted:

It's the opposite, actually - the i9s can outperform the new Ryzen models in some games, but the Ryzens absolutely smoke any Intel chip for non-gaming tasks. It's not even close.

Wait really?! I had always been told the reverse! Well drat. That shakes off my negative feelings about trading off my 5800x for a 10900kf(saved $50).

Ok now I'm confused, but gently caress it I only paid $400 for this card and got a monster mobo for a really good price so I'm not complaining.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

feedback loop posted:

Keep an eye on r/buildapcsales for restocks of the 5600X at its $300 msrp. That's how I bagged mine.

Edit: Hyper 212 Evo is still good but I know people are really hyped on the ID Cooling SE-224-XT these days. The Arctic Freezer P34 is also a beloved one
This worked out for me - thanks, everyone!

I watched r/BAPCS long enough to figure out there were multiple restocks a day at newegg, then basically queued up all the parts except the processor and kept refreshing the page for the processor. I almost had it on the first restock I saw, but Newegg wanted $16 to get just the Arctic Silver I had in cart delivered anytime soon. When I removed that, the processor was back out of stock. I missed one more and ended up catching it on the third restock.

It seems like they throw new stock out there a few times a day, possibly around the 15-20 minutes after the hour mark.

Even better, I found that I was still in the return window to send my Hyper 212 back, went as far as initiating the RMA, and then realized it just happens to also be compatible with AM4 socket processors.

feedback loop
Feb 16, 2015

doomrider7 posted:

Wait really?! I had always been told the reverse! Well drat. That shakes off my negative feelings about trading off my 5800x for a 10900kf(saved $50).

Ok now I'm confused, but gently caress it I only paid $400 for this card and got a monster mobo for a really good price so I'm not complaining.

Just be aware that the difference is pretty minor when they do better and the Ryzens can come out leagues ahead in some games, like +30FPS in Red Dead 2. You're also looking at a major tradeoff in thermals/TDP. Peep the AnandTech benchmarks in the i9-10850k review for reference.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

whoops

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

doomrider7 posted:

To clarify, the Ryzen 5000 parts are single digit % faster in gaming, but since it's so close the Intel part does indeed win in some games, basically a trading blows situation. In productivity tasks it's all Ryzen.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I am playing around with a system that would be able to play some late game Anno 1800 at good settings. It gets really cpu intensive later on... also, I've heard that more ram helps it run better late game, as well. Would a 5600x be decent for this game? It looks like 5900x is better but like almost double price and harder to find. I am playing on a laptop right now, Acer predator helios 300 that I got in dec. 2017. The specs for the laptop are:

gtx 1060 (laptop version)
i7-7700hq (2.8ghz)
16gb ddr 4 ram (not sure what mhz the ram is)

I mostly play older or less intensive games like wow, rimworld, snowrunner, etc. I cleaned up my laptop and re-applied the thermal paste and games are still running relatively hot, and I think it's just a byproduct of it being used for playing games a lot over the past couple of years plus having the same fans cool the cpu and gpu. I always run the fans at 100% now for playing games and it is really loud.

Anyway, I was thinking of something like this for a possible desktop to play the vidya for the next couple of years or so:

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/2bmPHz

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor ($409.99 @ MemoryC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML360R RGB 66.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($137.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PRO CARBON WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard ($255.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($219.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($329.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: lol
Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh ATX Mid Tower Case ($133.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($124.99 @ Best Buy)

Total: $1612.93

Thoughts and questions:

My internet is a 4g hotspot. Will that motherboard automatically be able to connect to the wifi network? Or do I need a little antenna thing that goes into the pci slot?
Would I need more fans in addition to the case fans and the cpu fan and the graphics card fan?
My PSU seems cheap in comparison to the rest of the stuff... Hmm.
I want a decent graphics card but I don't wanna spend a ton on it. I got a 1060 6gb last time I had a real desktop and I got it when it was current. I'm not sure what an analog for that would be in 2021... maybe a 3060 or something? I am not playing every new 350gb call of duty game with hyper lens flare, but I do like me some graphics.

What do you guys think of this setup? This is all pretty theoretical because I have other stuff I need to spend money on before I get any of this stuff going. Plus I'd need to get a decent sit/stand desk to put all this on as well as a monitor and decent chair. I am thinking I'd be dropping about 3-5k for all of that but that seems irresponsible when I've been enjoying every game I want to play for the past couple of years on a $900 lap top.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

The 5600x should be fine - as far as I know that game doesn't scale beyond the amount of cores you'll get in the 5600x anyway, and for a number of nerdy reasons it tends to offer the best gaming performance anyway - especially in Sim games.

I'd recommend against a liquid CPU cooler, especially for the 5600x, which is a 65-watt TDP chip, it just doesn't make that much heat. If you want an awesome air cooler check out the FUMA2, it's also cheaper.

There's no reason to go for an X570 motherboard really, you can get a nice B550 board with WiFi for almost $100 cheaper https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-TUF-B550M-PLUS-Motherboard-Addressable/dp/B088VXTBWR/

I could be wrong but I think this is the right link for a commonly recommended SSD that's much cheaper as well

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-NAND-2TB-SSD-WDS200T2B0B/dp/B073SBW3VD/

I'd redirect your efforts and extra funds into trying to track down a 3060, which seem like they might be the most available? There's no sense in going used because that market exploded too.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003

bus hustler posted:

The 5600x should be fine - as far as I know that game doesn't scale beyond the amount of cores you'll get in the 5600x anyway, and for a number of nerdy reasons it tends to offer the best gaming performance anyway - especially in Sim games.

I'd recommend against a liquid CPU cooler, especially for the 5600x, which is a 65-watt TDP chip, it just doesn't make that much heat. If you want an awesome air cooler check out the FUMA2, it's also cheaper.

There's no reason to go for an X570 motherboard really, you can get a nice B550 board with WiFi for almost $100 cheaper https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-TUF-B550M-PLUS-Motherboard-Addressable/dp/B088VXTBWR/

I could be wrong but I think this is the right link for a commonly recommended SSD that's much cheaper as well

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-NAND-2TB-SSD-WDS200T2B0B/dp/B073SBW3VD/

I'd redirect your efforts and extra funds into trying to track down a 3060, which seem like they might be the most available? There's no sense in going used because that market exploded too.

Supposedly RTX 3060 released just a few days ago with an msrp of $329... and yeah I don't think I'd find it at that price level. Thank you for the awesome input, you are making it dangerously viable for me to pull the trigger here.

Edit: I am willing and able to wait for the TI to come out, too.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

The TI came out first. $399

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

vandalism posted:

Supposedly RTX 3060 released just a few days ago with an msrp of $329... and yeah I don't think I'd find it at that price level. Thank you for the awesome input, you are making it dangerously viable for me to pull the trigger here.

Good news! The 3060Ti already came out and you can't buy that either. If you still have the 1060 knocking about then just toss that in the machine, it's still the most popular card on Steam for a reason (and what I'm still using) and it'll be perfectly fine until humans can buy video cards again.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

bus hustler posted:

/agree

AIOs are 2 fans + a pump and that pump does make sound.

Unless you are overclocking you just end up with cooling headroom you don’t need and more noticeable noise if you keep the PC near you at all.

Pumps die eventually too.

AIOs should be reserved for when a D15 is not enough cooling power.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

njsykora posted:

Good news! The 3060Ti already came out and you can't buy that either. If you still have the 1060 knocking about then just toss that in the machine, it's still the most popular card on Steam for a reason (and what I'm still using) and it'll be perfectly fine until humans can buy video cards again.

It’s a mobile 1060, but the OP seems aware of the generally terrible GPU market right now.

For that, OP, I think I’d check out SA Mart and jump on anything reasonably priced. Even a 1050 would probably do OK in the interim with reasonable expectations at least.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003

njsykora posted:

I have the laptop 1060. I don't have the 1060 6gb that I had in my old desktop anymore, sadly.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

vandalism posted:

don't buy that linked storage, it's just an SSD in M.2 form. You want the SN550, which is the standard recommended best value NVMe drive and comes in 2TB flavour.

All of the other recommendations were sound though. Your PSU selection was totally fine. Make sure you don't pay $400 for the 5600x, it's a $300 CPU and availability is much improved now.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Yep here is the correct link:

https://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-Blue-SN550-Internal/dp/B08K4NP5DQ/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=2tb+ssd&qid=1614683711&sr=8-6

Edit: I have a 5600x and a FUMA2 and in a Phanteks Entoo Pro its basically "silent" (not audible over ambient semi-urban noise). Such a huge change from anything stock. I play Arma 3 which basically runs like a sim game (single threaded, lots of physics) & I went from 25-ish FPS to 50+ so I think this will be a really noticeable boost for you all around.

If you absolutely need a stand in GPU if evga still has a GT 1030 you might be able to do step-up to a 3060 or 3060ti.

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Mar 2, 2021

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Just ordered my custom cables from cablemod. They say they're upgrading the factory so delivery time is :shrug:
I measured like 6 times before using the configurator. I just hope I didn't screw it up.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

I know it was forever ago but you folks helped me build my first tower and it runs like a dream! No parts fried and only met the 'didn't turn on, what the christ" moment once. Thanks for the help.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Can someone link me any UK/EU stock drop discords? I was in some last year but I quit them after building my PC, but now I'm trying to help my friend with his build and he wants a 3060 Ti.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Thoughts on what to rec to help this kind soul.

https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/lw2wu6/teacher_looking_to_buy_pcs_for_my_esports_program/

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

I was browsing through the AMD ryzens that are out, and I like the specs of the 4750GE - it's fast but also energy efficient, and it has good integrated graphics with it. Near as I can tell it's not really available? I found a few complete systems with it available but none that are actually out yet, and it's not on ebay either - there are a few 4750gs available (the 65w version). Would you actually have to contact system builders and ask them to source one for you at that point? Maybe check back in a few months?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

OEM only, iirc. Fab capacity is too limited to manufacture for retail.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

OEM only, iirc. Fab capacity is too limited to manufacture for retail.

They're usually tough to find boxed for retail sale of course. I don't care if it's retail, oem, or I have to pull it from a system. It's more that it flat out doesn't seem to exist in products that you can buy at all.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

If you really want one, I'd just get a 4750G and a motherboard that allows you to set a custom TDP and lower it. It might be a slightly worse bin, but at most it will just boost a bit lower than an actual GE, like 4ghz instead of 4.2ghz.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Does anyone know if this is a) a legit noctua cooler, and b) if so, what one it is? I’ve trawled their website and I can’t see one with the dual towers with the front elements too.

Pahonix
May 29, 2004

Hooked on pahonix workid for meh!
How much of a benefit would there be to replacing the three fans that come with the Meshify 2 case with PWM fans? For non-extreme use... any?

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

If you can't find any 4750GE it might not exist tbh. It came out late in the cycle for 2020 on zen2 TSMC 7nm but as far as I know they basically shut down zen2 fab for zen3, since they directly compete for fab space.

edit: the 11JJS00300 lenovo thinkcentre tiny in its top end sku seems to ship with it, so it did exist at some point.

This one ships with the 4650GE https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-Thi...FUAAOSwpsdgOr4p

there was a 4750GE one up but it disappeared/was sold? in the time i typed this up

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Mar 2, 2021

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I'm in the same boat, trying to get an esports program going at my school. CDWG seems like they have stock of prebuilts and some knowledgeable reps on the subject

E: oh his entire budget is $3k, that's gonna suck.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Pahonix posted:

How much of a benefit would there be to replacing the three fans that come with the Meshify 2 case with PWM fans? For non-extreme use... any?

If you buy good fans (Noctuas, P-12s, etc) they’ll be louder but better. If noise is a concern for you, I’d probably wait and see how the case performs with stock.

If you end up with better cooling, I’d probably take the original fans and throw them around the case.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

for esports titles the answer is always: used optiplex i7 w/ 8GB and a 1050ti or better (lol)

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

Total Meatlove posted:

Does anyone know if this is a) a legit noctua cooler, and b) if so, what one it is? I’ve trawled their website and I can’t see one with the dual towers with the front elements too.

That is most assuredly not a Noctua cooler. The fan might be but the heatsink itself definitely isn’t.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedback loop
Feb 16, 2015
Anyone have experience with OLOy RAM? I'm used to thinking of Crucial, Kingston etc as good RAM brands but OLOy products look generally a good bit cheaper. I know all RAM comes from the same manufacturers but I don't know if there are appreciable differences in QC in this case.