Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

I'm case shopping.

What ATX cases do y'all like the aesthetics of? I'm tired of drab black boxes.

I'm wondering if I can find a case with the following:
- Separate chamber for routing cables (I'd like to keep the main chamber uncluttered)
- No optical drive bays (I don't need 'em, reduces clutter, maybe even allows the case to be smaller)
- Large aesthetically pleasing window
- Hard to shatter (I have pets who might, for example, knock something off my desk onto the case - so no tempered glass tops)
- No dumbass "we tried to make it look like a Ferrari" weird angles, big openings, etc. (Example of one such case I think is hideous)
- Front or top USB and USB-C connectors

I realize aesthetics are extremely subjective, so I'm fishing for opinions.

Also, what are some case features you have enjoyed and which aren't obvious things to shop for? Anything to add to my list above?

So far, I think I like this Fractal Meshify case, but that's after a pretty casual search. I also wish it was available in more than white and black. I'd like to see more options.
I had similar criteria and I'm very happy with the be quiet! Pure Base 500DX that Klyith recommended me a while back. Front panel has 1 USB-C and 1 USB-A port, and is at an angle like the others people have been talking about. Thus far it's been awesome and has had fantastic airflow, comes with some nice case fans too. The cable management is :discourse:, and for ~aesthetics~ while it is mostly a black box, it has a nice side window and a lot of options for the front LEDs even without syncing RGB bs, plus some subtle RGB strips inside. Oh and I think there's a white version (yup).

Stroop There It Is fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Aug 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Two questions:

Given no GPU bottleneck, how big of a gaming upgrade would it be moving from an LGA1150 i7 4790k to a Ryzen 3700X? Especially considering the move from DDR3 to DDR4 memory. Would it me night and day or just a little better?

I ask because I'm trying to time buying a new system.

Also for a second question, how in the world do I get rid of a Thermaltake Tower 900? No one wants to buy it locally and it costs so much to ship that it's not really worth it for a buyer. I would hate to throw it away. Should I just suck it up and get into building crazy loops to take advantage?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I love the poo poo out of my meshify, I'm not buying another case for a long long time.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I love the poo poo out of my meshify, I'm not buying another case for a long long time.
:same:
By far the best I've ever built in.
But if I were buying today, I'd probably go with the P400A.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Tin Tim posted:

Huh, I wasn't aware that an SSD can be handled like that. I mean I still want to have it be screwed in since it's going to the upper area of my case and I wouldn't trust some tape to hold it up there for the next few years.

I guess I mostly went along with the idea of a dock because I think they are cool and I kinda want one

If the case has 3.5" or 5.25" place at the top you can install the SSD on them using a single screw. They're so light it works just fine.

On Terra Firma posted:

The problem with cases like these is my cat likes to jump up and turn off the power when I'm doing something important.

Disable the power button in Windows power settings, "Choose what the power buttons do".

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
I've finally got my computer rebuilt and I am quite happy with the improvement. The i5-4570 was a bottleneck for sure. Just two quick questions.

One, are there any downsides at all to using XMP? I've never dealt with them before, is it really just a "make RAM better" button?

Two, I've got a shitload of old components now I don't know what to do with. They aren't the best but they still work so it feels wrong to just trash them. What do you do with your old parts?

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3

Lareine posted:

I've finally got my computer rebuilt and I am quite happy with the improvement. The i5-4570 was a bottleneck for sure. Just two quick questions.

One, are there any downsides at all to using XMP? I've never dealt with them before, is it really just a "make RAM better" button?

Two, I've got a shitload of old components now I don't know what to do with. They aren't the best but they still work so it feels wrong to just trash them. What do you do with your old parts?
No downsides to XMP. I would definitely use it, if you can.
Old PC parts are good for making a media/home theater box, if you are so inclined. That's what I did w/my old stuff.

Mistikman
Jan 21, 2001

I was born ready. I'm Ron Fucking Swanson.

Lareine posted:

The only problem with using XMP is if you have to RMA your CPU, they will ask you if you used it as a gotcha to deny your claim.

So if you have it, use it, and if you have to RMA your CPU lie and say you never used it, because it almost certainly isn't going to have been the cause of your issues, but they can and will deny your claim because of it.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Are AMD as fucky with RMA claims for their XMP equivalent? Everything I've seen and heard about Intel over the last year is pushing me firmly into the Ryzen camp.

Screama
Nov 25, 2007
Yes, I am very cereal.
[Australia, Gaming, Officework. Budget ideally below AUD$1,500 / USD$1,000]

So, my current build has recently been struggling to maintain 1080@60hz for recent games like Borderlands 3 and The Division 2 (hitting like 50-55 in Div2 and ~45 in B3). I also possibly have it within my budget to upgrade to a 1440p 144hz monitor.
My original plan was just to buy a 5700XT and new monitor, but some basic research seems to indicate that my CPU might hold it back a bit? This kind of leaves me in the position of having to just overhaul my entire system which is not ideal cost-wise, and seems like a waste of an otherwise perfectly good system.

My question is, assuming that I buy a 1440@144hz monitor, what would I have to upgrade and what would I be able to keep from my current system?

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600 3.3 GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Deepcool GAMMAXX S40 54.25 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: ASRock Z170 Pro4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL15 Memory
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon RX 480 8 GB G1 Gaming Video Card
Case: Thermaltake Chaser A31 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Antec 600 W ATX Power Supply

My main concern is keeping costs reasonable without buying the cheapest poo poo out there. I have no particular brand loyalties but it seems like AMD GPUs are better value? I'm also aware that there are new GPUs due out relatively soon, so I'm happy to wait for a good deal since this is by no means an urgent upgrade.

I do plan on picking up a 1-2TB SSD soon, just shopping around for them atm.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

You can get a Ryzen 3600 for $160 usd, a B450 mobo for ~$100. You can re-use everything else, though your power supply might be getting old so check on the warranty too.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Mistikman posted:

The only problem with using XMP is if you have to RMA your CPU, they will ask you if you used it as a gotcha to deny your claim.

So if you have it, use it, and if you have to RMA your CPU lie and say you never used it, because it almost certainly isn't going to have been the cause of your issues, but they can and will deny your claim because of it.

Bloody Pom posted:

Are AMD as fucky with RMA claims for their XMP equivalent? Everything I've seen and heard about Intel over the last year is pushing me firmly into the Ryzen camp.

Only Intel voids the warranty for XMP AFAIK, AMD will for overclocking the CPU (though again you have to tell them you did for them to know).

DDR4-3200 is even on the spec sheet for zen 2 ryzens, so if you got a CPU that for some reason couldn't run memory at that speed you could claim warranty for it!

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Screama posted:

[Australia, Gaming, Officework. Budget ideally below AUD$1,500 / USD$1,000]

So, my current build has recently been struggling to maintain 1080@60hz for recent games like Borderlands 3 and The Division 2 (hitting like 50-55 in Div2 and ~45 in B3). I also possibly have it within my budget to upgrade to a 1440p 144hz monitor.
My original plan was just to buy a 5700XT and new monitor, but some basic research seems to indicate that my CPU might hold it back a bit? This kind of leaves me in the position of having to just overhaul my entire system which is not ideal cost-wise, and seems like a waste of an otherwise perfectly good system.

My question is, assuming that I buy a 1440@144hz monitor, what would I have to upgrade and what would I be able to keep from my current system?

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600 3.3 GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Deepcool GAMMAXX S40 54.25 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: ASRock Z170 Pro4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL15 Memory
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon RX 480 8 GB G1 Gaming Video Card
Case: Thermaltake Chaser A31 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Antec 600 W ATX Power Supply

My main concern is keeping costs reasonable without buying the cheapest poo poo out there. I have no particular brand loyalties but it seems like AMD GPUs are better value? I'm also aware that there are new GPUs due out relatively soon, so I'm happy to wait for a good deal since this is by no means an urgent upgrade.

I do plan on picking up a 1-2TB SSD soon, just shopping around for them atm.

Something like this?

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($283.80 @ Newegg Australia)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($57.20 @ Newegg Australia)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($199.00 @ PC Byte)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL15 Memory (Purchased For $0.00)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Case: Thermaltake Chaser A31 ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $0.00)
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($177.60 @ Device Deal)
Monitor: Dell P2411H 24.0" 1920x1080 Monitor (Purchased For $0.00)
Mouse: Corsair M65 RGB Wired Laser Mouse (Purchased For $0.00)
Custom: Reserved for RTX 30 series ($650.00)
Total: $1367.60
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-08-07 23:23 AEST+1000'

I don't think there is enough real world difference between 3000 CL15 RAM and 3200 CL 16 RAM to care about replacing it, and it looks like your current RAM is also on the QVL for the B450 Tomahawk Max. But ram is cheap so going to 3200 or even 3600 CL16 RAM also wouldn't be that big an expense.

650W is probably just fine for the PSU too if you want to shave some cost off, but the RTX 30 series requirements are still :iiam: at the moment so I hedged on the high side.

Your current PSU only has a 2 year warranty so it needs to go.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Aug 7, 2020

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Any suggestions for the best video card that this motherboard supports? Under $300 preferably.

https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/Z87-G41-PC-Mate/Gallery

(LGA1150, pcie gen 3, yes I know it's old and I know everyone is going to suggest throwing it out and buying new and you're technically right, but it's not in the cards right now so try to contain yourself!)

I'm thinking GeForce GTX 1660 Super, but gpu model numbers confuse me a lot.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
The amd rx570 is cheaper and the difference isnt worth it according to most reviews i have read

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

xzzy posted:

Any suggestions for the best video card that this motherboard supports? Under $300 preferably.

https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/Z87-G41-PC-Mate/Gallery

(LGA1150, pcie gen 3, yes I know it's old and I know everyone is going to suggest throwing it out and buying new and you're technically right, but it's not in the cards right now so try to contain yourself!)

I'm thinking GeForce GTX 1660 Super, but gpu model numbers confuse me a lot.

I'd go with the 1660 Super for a $300 budget. I think the better performance + not having shitass AMD drivers is worth it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Zeta Acosta posted:

The amd rx570 is cheaper and the difference isnt worth it according to most reviews i have read

Thanks for mentioning this, just for having something to compare to. It's certainly has the right numbers, but the 1660S is claimed to be a quieter and use less power, which seems beneficial on an aging power supply. So I got some deciding to do.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

xzzy posted:

Thanks for mentioning this, just for having something to compare to. It's certainly has the right numbers, but the 1660S is claimed to be a quieter and use less power, which seems beneficial on an aging power supply. So I got some deciding to do.

The 570 is good for 1080p60 at high settings, the 1660Super should max it out with some headroom, though 2gb less vram. Iirc they have similar power draws, it's just that perf/watt is higher on the 1660S. Its nowhere near twice as performant at ~twice the price, but it is a noticable bump.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
I installed a brand new rx570 but i have to wait for mi new monitor to arrive next week. I had a r7260x with the latest amd driver. Its really necessary to uninstall them and re download them for the new card? My pc already recognized the rx570.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
I am beginning to scope out parts for a very high end machine. I want to drive a 3840 x 1600 monitor @ 144Hz.

My first draft for CPU, GPU, and RAM are:

CPU: Intel Core i9-10900K 3.7 GHz 10-Core Processor ($529.99 @ Best Buy)
GPU: Nvidia 3080 TI "The-Expensive-One" (not released yet, probably like $1,200)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($359.99 @ Amazon)

A few questions:
1) How much should I care about RAM speeds? Will I see a benefit in game framerates or load times (incl. VR) if I spring for 4000+ MHz RAM? Could I even drop lower than 3600?
2) I can be convinced that 64GB ram is wasteful. I'll probably dial it back to 32GB - what's your opinion? The machine will be used mostly for gaming, including VR. I sometimes play games with Chrome open.
3) Is this CPU overkill for my monitor? I will be playing games. I don't stream, I don't do video editing, etc., so maybe ten cores is just wasteful. In this first draft I defaulted to the flagship CPU only because it's the flagship and I'm aiming very high - but I don't want to be wasteful for its own sake.

Chimp_On_Stilts fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Aug 7, 2020

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

I am beginning to scope out parts for a very high end machine. I want to drive a 3840 x 1600 monitor @ 144Hz.

My first draft for CPU, GPU, and RAM are:

CPU: Intel Core i9-10900K 3.7 GHz 10-Core Processor ($529.99 @ Best Buy)
GPU: Nvidia 3080 TI "The-Expensive-One" (not released yet, probably like $1,200)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($359.99 @ Amazon)

A few questions:
1) How much should I care about RAM speeds? Will I see a benefit in game framerates or load times (incl. VR) if I spring for 4000+ MHz RAM? Could I even drop lower than 3600?
2) I can be convinced that 64GB ram is wasteful. I'll probably dial it back to 32GB - what's your opinion? The machine will be used mostly for gaming, including VR. I sometimes play games with Chrome open.
3) Is this CPU overkill for my monitor? I will be playing games. I don't stream, I don't do video editing, etc., so maybe ten cores is just wasteful. In this first draft I defaulted to the flagship CPU only because it's the flagship and I'm aiming very high - but I don't want to be wasteful for its own sake.

Memory speed doesn't really matter, and doing more than 3600 CL16 is a waste.

No game is even close to choked by 16 gb yet, 32 is already extreme for gaming, 64 is silly unless you're using specific software for work that is a ram hog.

The i9 is more of a gimmick than a real piece of hardware you should buy. It has raw performance by just running hotter than balls and drawing frankly idiotic amounts of current, it's mainly suited for jerking off to benchmark scores than doing anything IRL.

If you need a lot of threads for actual work, a 3900X or 3950X are better buys.

The "I want more than I need" CPUs that actually make sense for gaming are the 3700X if you just want to plug & go (because it's close to maxed out stock), and the i5-10600K if you want to play with overclocking. The 3700X is way more efficient and has more threads, but for games that care about GHz than cores/threads the 10600k will be better. And an OC'd 10600k is equal or better than a stock 10900k for 1/2 the price. Sure you can OC the i9 too, but an OC'd i9 draws like 300 watts and generates a similarly idiotic amount of heat.

Plus keep in mind that gaming at anything over 1080p is mainly GPU constrained still unless you're running <4 core/8 thread CPUs like old i5s.

If I was doing a gently caress IT GO HOG WILD build it might look something like this:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor ($429.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 CHROMAX.BLACK 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler ($99.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard ($189.99 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($144.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($199.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($93.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($144.99 @ Corsair)
Case Fan: Noctua NF-A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140 mm Fan ($21.95 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: Noctua NF-A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140 mm Fan ($21.95 @ Amazon)
Custom: RTX 3080? Ti placeholder ($1200.00)
Total: $2547.78
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-08-07 16:03 EDT-0400

The 3700X is a smarter buy for most people than the 3900X (and would only need a U14S cooler), the Rocket 4.0 is absolutely not really worth it vs. the SN750 or SX8200 Pro and is strictly an e-peen choice. Conversely, there are bigger/bling-ier cases but the Meshify C + 2x140mm Noctua combo is pretty drat great.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Aug 7, 2020

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Crossposting from the HW questions thread:

teagone posted:

Friend of mine is trying to get a Corsair H115i RGB Pro XT AIO cooler working, but is having some weird problems with it. Two outcomes when he boots up the PC with different wiring setups:

1) CPU pump lights up and no fans in the PC run at all, and if left on for only a little, smoke beings to come out from the CPU block.

or

2) The CPU pump doesn’t light up and all fans in the PC run at 100%, but CPU temps start at 50 and keep going up (I'm guessing this is because the pump isn't receiving power somehow?).

Right now he's got the cooler wired as: the USB connected to the mobo, the header directly on the pump connected to CPU_FAN, and the two female headers connected to the radiator fans.

Is there something he's missing? This is an RMA'd unit btw, the first one exhibited the same problem, even the smoke.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I've started looking at my temperatures and stuff and my CPU seems to hang out at around 70C when doing basic office stuff. Games will keep it around 80C. Should I be concerned about this?

I only have the one intake fan and exhaust fan and the stock "AMD Stealth Wraith" cooler. I can't hear that one so I wasn't really worried about it.

Actually, the only sound I can hear from my computer at all is one of my HDDs clicking noisily every so often.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

That's really hot for doing nothing. Can you check how fast the fans are spinning? Might need to increase it if the AMD cooler is quiet. It's generally known for being loud when doing its job.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

tuyop posted:

I've started looking at my temperatures and stuff and my CPU seems to hang out at around 70C when doing basic office stuff. Games will keep it around 80C. Should I be concerned about this?

I only have the one intake fan and exhaust fan and the stock "AMD Stealth Wraith" cooler. I can't hear that one so I wasn't really worried about it.

Actually, the only sound I can hear from my computer at all is one of my HDDs clicking noisily every so often.

What program are you using to check this?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Mu Zeta posted:

That's really hot for doing nothing. Can you check how fast the fans are spinning? Might need to increase it if the AMD cooler is quiet. It's generally known for being loud when doing its job.

Now I'm just confused.

Thom P. Tiers posted:

What program are you using to check this?

I was just looking a Ryzen Master before, but then I looked at NZXT CAM and it disagreed significantly by like 10C higher. Right now Speedfan is giving me a full 16C lower than Ryzen Master (54C vs 71C!) and the AMD program is just hanging out happily reporting 55C for the GPU. What should I trust?

tuyop fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Aug 7, 2020

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Weird. Ryzen Master usually has the most accurate temps but the one reported by Speedfan looks more normal. Maybe download HWInfo64?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Mu Zeta posted:

Weird. Ryzen Master usually has the most accurate temps but the one reported by Speedfan looks more normal. Maybe download HWInfo64?

Seems like the Die (average) current temp agrees with Ryzen Master. I tried so hard to capture 69C but I'll settle for the die average maximum.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

so im doing a new build, hoping to take advantage of the evga step up by grabbing a 2070 super now and upgrading if i can, but if not no big deal. I currently have an i7 6700k, and it doesnt seem like much is better than it for the price. Ive had it for a few years now but would really like to go with a ryzen to change things up, but it seems like the i7 is still dope. I do need to get another CPU since im handing my old PC off to my daughter but maybe the smart move is just to get a cheaper ryzen for it and bring the i7 to this pc, even though its a few years old.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

So taking into account recent history with Nvidia nomenclature:
If you want ultra graphics at 1440p 144hz with very high FPS, is there any reason to step up to a 3080ti or 3090?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Kraftwerk posted:

If you want ultra graphics at 1440p 144hz with very high FPS, is there any reason to step up to a 3080ti or 3090?

The only info out about them yet is a couple leaked cinebench scores, nobody knows how they / the rest of the product stack will perform yet.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Kraftwerk posted:

I don't think anyone knows, since it isn't out yet, but the consensus is that the RTX3000 series will be a significant performance boost, especially for next-gen games. :shrug:

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

ok here's what i think im going to buy tomorrow, anyone see any issues?

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($411.02 @ Amazon Canada)
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X53 73.11 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($179.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard ($257.50 @ Vuugo)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($79.98 @ Amazon Canada)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB XC ULTRA GAMING Video Card ($778.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400A ATX Mid Tower Case ($160.00)
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($169.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Total: $2037.47
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-08-07 21:37 EDT-0400

Bringing over my SSD's and other poo poo from my current PC, but i think this should be good, and hopefully upgrade to a 3070 when those come out with the step up program.
is 750 watt overkill for a PSU?

gotta love those canada prices, lol

Edit: I may go for a meshify c case instead, they look really nice. And the p400a can't fit an all in one cooler on the top mounts.

queeb fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Aug 8, 2020

Screama
Nov 25, 2007
Yes, I am very cereal.

sean10mm posted:

I don't think there is enough real world difference between 3000 CL15 RAM and 3200 CL 16 RAM to care about replacing it, and it looks like your current RAM is also on the QVL for the B450 Tomahawk Max. But ram is cheap so going to 3200 or even 3600 CL16 RAM also wouldn't be that big an expense.

650W is probably just fine for the PSU too if you want to shave some cost off, but the RTX 30 series requirements are still :iiam: at the moment so I hedged on the high side.

Your current PSU only has a 2 year warranty so it needs to go.

Thanks, this was very helpful. There's actually a place near me that has 3600 CL 16 RAM for the cheapest it's ever been, so I might pick that up and reuse the 3000 in whatever Frankenstein I turn this current build into.

Iceache
Jul 9, 2009
As yesterday my PC got the nice red screen of death error due to my and Horizon Zero Dawn's fuckery (problem is resolved, PC is booting but I'm scared to try the HZD again). I've decided to think about a new PC.

My main aim is to run Cyberpunk with no problems.

Here's what I've collected so far:
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 3.9 GHz 8-Core Processor ($329.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B550M DS3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($94.00 @ Best Buy)
Memory: G.Skill Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($57.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($69.98 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB GAMING OC Video Card ($409.99 @ B&H)
Case: Metallic Gear Neo Silent ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($137.94 @ Amazon)
Total: $1149.88

HDD I'll take out from my old PC.

Any thoughts, suggestions?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
What benefits are you supposed to see with 3600 RAM over 3000?

Screama
Nov 25, 2007
Yes, I am very cereal.

tuyop posted:

What benefits are you supposed to see with 3600 RAM over 3000?

Not sure if you meant this as a general question or not, but if you're asking about my build upgrade a few posts up, I just threw it out there because it's currently like $6 more than buying 3000 again, so it seems pretty harmless to buy. I'll look into whether it's wasted on the CPU but tbh it's not much of a loss if it is.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

UGH

so good news and bad news, folks. good news is my RAM for my laptop FINALLY got in. bad news is that i see absolutely no speed improvements. in fact, i legit think it's even SLOWER, which sounds crazy, but i think there may be something to it because when i checked the RAM speed in the task bar, it went from 800 mhz to 667 mhz. What the heck is up with that? D:

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

667Mhz would be 1333Mhz DDR - do you have to set an XMP profile in a laptop BIOS as you would a desktop?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Screama posted:

Not sure if you meant this as a general question or not, but if you're asking about my build upgrade a few posts up, I just threw it out there because it's currently like $6 more than buying 3000 again, so it seems pretty harmless to buy. I'll look into whether it's wasted on the CPU but tbh it's not much of a loss if it is.

Yeah just in general, your purchase makes sense from a cost perspective!