Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

Klyith posted:

gently caress dude. It is in bold all caps in the OP, but I really should have made a huge blingee text gif.

EVGA is one of the few that does that, probably because they cannot stop introducing new models and they buy from every OEM. Still sucks.

Lol I didn't go and find if there was a thread for this sort of thing until after I did it. Also the OP is a mile long and that warning is buried under a question about PSU wattage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

SavageMessiah posted:

Lol I didn't go and find if there was a thread for this sort of thing until after I did it. Also the OP is a mile long and that warning is buried under a question about PSU wattage.

Also it does say "different brands" doesn't it, even if you'd read that you still might have re-used the cables. poo poo. Would have figured evga would at least make sure their stuff wouldn't be wired in ways that would kill parts, just fail safe. Talk about careless.

Some Goon, how about it?

(The EVGA stuff is the main reason I dislike the LTT "tier list": that list absolutely slobbers all over EVGA. They make good PSUs, but they also make some bad ones and the brand seems to thrive on consumer confusion from adding a new model every other month.)

Kingnothing posted:

Not trying to split hairs here, because I do really appreciate the advice. But the superflower is a 10 year. Is the RMX line better build then the superflower? Because if they’re both 10 year gold and basically the same thing I don’t see why I’d go 100w lower for the same price.

Oh, looks like they upped it. Review I looked at said 7 years. Never mind then, that covers my main objection.

RMX is a very high quality, but I don't think the differences are big enough to make much difference. What you'd notice from the outside is that the RMX has an automatic semi-passive mode, and sourcing additional modular cables from corsair is vastly easier. Most people don't need extra cables, and that superflower seems like it comes with plenty.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Yeah I'll put it in the first post. Phoneposting rn so if I don't have it up in ~12 hrs pm me.

Also I guess I'll ask the mods to change the title now that B550 is available and PCIe 4.0 is looking promising. Any suggestions or it's back to the Matrix joke?

Fantastic Foreskin fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Sep 2, 2020

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags
This is probably a dumb question, but are PSU extension cables safe to use? I've got a bunch of pretty braided orange ones from my previous build.

I won't be plugging them directly into my Modular PSU just extending the cables that came with it.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Nowher posted:

This is probably a dumb question, but are PSU extension cables safe to use? I've got a bunch of pretty braided orange ones from my previous build.

I won't be plugging them directly into my Modular PSU just extending the cables that came with it.

Yes, extension cables just pass straight through, maintaining the original pinout. Using them in place of the included cables, as you said you wouldn't, would be bad.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Decided to go ahead and start picking up the non-GPU components so I would have all that stuff together whenever I manage to actually get my hands on one.

Speaking of RMX, I bought one off Corsair's website earlier today and haven't gotten a confirmation email. Do they usually take that long to send them or should I call them to make sure it actually went through? They did charge my card.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

MikeC posted:

The 3080 will be bottlenecked by PCIE 3.0... Top end Ampere will almost certainly lose performance with PCIE 3.0

Is there any literature confirming this? I bought a this motherboard earlier this year and was considering dropping in a 3070 or 3080 once the non FE cards started hitting the market, and if it's true I'd be pretty bummed.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Thirst Mutilator posted:

Is there any literature confirming this? I bought a this motherboard earlier this year and was considering dropping in a 3070 or 3080 once the non FE cards started hitting the market, and if it's true I'd be pretty bummed.

So Hardware Unboxed, a reputable benchmarking and reviewing Youtube channel did dedicated tests using a 5700XT a week ago or so. They found a few, not most, cases where even the 5700XT benefited from PCIE 4.0. They have no explanation for why since they have no idea what is happening under the hood. All they know is that the differences exist under certain circumstances. Their RTX 3000 reaction video that is now up, they are guessing that high-end Ampere may be affected. Not crippled, but affected. Something on the order of 5-10%.

Until they benchmark throughout, no one knows. But I would not buy a PCIE 3.0 motherboard anymore. If you bought one in the past few months, sorry, we can't predict the future accurately and literally until a week ago when Hardware Unboxed ran those tests, no one knew it made any difference or could forsee that it could make a difference.

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAwIh1nSOQ8

This is the relevant video. You decide what is going on here.

MikeC fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Sep 2, 2020

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Thirst Mutilator posted:

After that post I did some googling on it. It seems like there’s no evidence that 2080Ti maxed out PCI-E 3.0 16x, so the consensus seems to be it’s unlikely a 4.0 slot will give huge gains over a 3.0 slot.

I saw some other people in the GPU thread talking about how if it made much of a difference nVidia woulda harped on it more during the reveal.

Edit: post above basically disproves this so never mind.

Klyith posted:

Oh, looks like they upped it. Review I looked at said 7 years. Never mind then, that covers my main objection.

RMX is a very high quality, but I don't think the differences are big enough to make much difference. What you'd notice from the outside is that the RMX has an automatic semi-passive mode, and sourcing additional modular cables from corsair is vastly easier. Most people don't need extra cables, and that superflower seems like it comes with plenty.

Thanks. There’s actually a 10% off coupon from the Corsair website when you sign up for their email bullshit so it’s 10$ cheaper.

Gonna sit on it overnight for now. I’ve still gotta figure out more cooling and a new small form factor case that has a shitton of 3.5 space, can accommodate a 3080, and it’s ugly as sin or huge.

Right now I’m considering the Fractal Node 804.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

MikeC posted:

If you bought one in the past few months, sorry, we can't predict the future accurately and literally until a week ago when Hardware Unboxed ran those tests, no one knew it made any difference or could forsee that it could make a difference.

I couldn't have possibly known at the time of buying so I'm not upset about the advice I got at the time, I'm just bummed it could be a difference maker - was hoping to just swap a new card with basically zero considerations. We'll see what bears out from benchmarking I guess.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Anyone got a checklist of stuff to do to your Win10 PC to prep for a Mobo/CPU replacement without reinstalling OS?

prompt
Oct 28, 2007

eh?
What country are you in?
Japan
What are you using the system for? Web and Office? Gaming? Video or photo editing? Professional creative or scientific computing?
Gaming and office work
What's your budget? We usually specify for just the computer itself (plus Windows), but if you also need monitor/mouse/whatever, just say so.
Up to $1.5k (without the GPU, monitor, or mouse/keyboard)
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”?
4K 60Hz monitor & 4K 120Hz LG TV

Here is what I've been looking at, will be getting a 3080 to go with it. The X570 Unify is probably overkill and has been constantly out of stock here in Japan, so open to suggestions there (I'd like at least 2x PCIe 4.0 M.2 slots, Wifi 6, and a good amount of other connectivity). Also interested in suggestions for the NVME drive for the boot drive and games. Not interested in RGB. I don't think noise will be an issue for me so I'll run the cooler that comes with the 3700X.

I'm under my budget so if there is anything in particular that would see some benefit from upgrading please let me know.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($289.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 UNIFY ATX AM4 Motherboard ($299.99 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($138.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial P1 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($104.99 @ Adorama)
Case: Antec P101 Silent ATX Mid Tower Case ($104.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($139.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $1078.94
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-09-02 04:40 EDT-0400

I_Socom
Jul 18, 2007

A great ride that requires finesse and effort to get the best out of it.

On PSU chat: I bought a Corsair RM650x PSU 3 and a half years ago. If I upgrade the rest of the system (motherboard, CPU, 3080) then I should be fine to re-use the PSU, right? (assuming power draw for the 3080 ends up where folk are predicting)

Romulux
Mar 17, 2004

E V O L V E D

You can't use other modular cables but extensions are okay, right? https://www.amazon.com/EZDIY-FAB-Sleeved-Cable-Extension-Extra-Sleeved/dp/B078WPLFFQ/

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

I've been waiting for the 3xxx series cards to come out, my old PC is barely scraping by. I'm going to build a new PC around a 3080 or maybe a 3090 if I'm feeling like being an idiot.

I am completely lost in everything mobo/cpu wise. Are there any other new component things just on the horizon that I should wait for, since I'm having to buy everything new anyway? I can probably wait a few months but am worried about GPU stock etc., and would like to have a shiny new system in time for the Cyberpunk launch.

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags

Romulux posted:

You can't use other modular cables but extensions are okay, right? https://www.amazon.com/EZDIY-FAB-Sleeved-Cable-Extension-Extra-Sleeved/dp/B078WPLFFQ/

I just got an answer to this a few posts above. They are fine as long as you extend the cables from the PSU. Don't plug them directly into modular PSU.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Rhaka posted:

I've been waiting for the 3xxx series cards to come out, my old PC is barely scraping by. I'm going to build a new PC around a 3080 or maybe a 3090 if I'm feeling like being an idiot.

I am completely lost in everything mobo/cpu wise. Are there any other new component things just on the horizon that I should wait for, since I'm having to buy everything new anyway? I can probably wait a few months but am worried about GPU stock etc., and would like to have a shiny new system in time for the Cyberpunk launch.

Don't wait for a CPU IMO. Partly because there's always SOMETHING new coming, and partly because any mobo we suggest is going to be compatible with the next gen Ryzen too, which is the only new CPU worth caring about anytime soon anyway.

What's your total budget? I wouldn't get a 3090 unless you just don't give a gently caress about money as a concept.

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Honestly agreed, I'm probably sticking with a 3080--super nice value. I've got about 1500 GBP saved up (in the UK), but am willing to slap some more in there if necessary. I'll probably save up what I don't spend for a screen that can actually do the new hardware justice instead of the 29" 1080p 75hz I'm currently on, but I might move abroad soon and transporting screens internationally is a huge PITA so may hold off on that purchase for a bit.

I thought people were all waiting around for new mobos because of the next Ryzens?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Rhaka posted:

Honestly agreed, I'm probably sticking with a 3080--super nice value. I've got about 1500 GBP saved up (in the UK), but am willing to slap some more in there if necessary. I'll probably save up what I don't spend for a screen that can actually do the new hardware justice instead of the 29" 1080p 75hz I'm currently on, but I might move abroad soon and transporting screens internationally is a huge PITA so may hold off on that purchase for a bit.

I thought people were all waiting around for new mobos because of the next Ryzens?

No, Zen 3 is confirmed for existing socket & chipsets.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The 3070 seems like the overall best deal. Better performance than the 2080 Ti for significantly less cost.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
If I slap a 3080 in my Ryzen 5 2600X/MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX build am I an idiot bottlenecking the card? What about a 3070? Just looking to do 1440p/144hz for the forseeable future.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Martian Manfucker posted:

If I slap a 3080 in my Ryzen 5 2600X/MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX build am I an idiot bottlenecking the card? What about a 3070? Just looking to do 1440p/144hz for the forseeable future.

The 2600 topped out around 90fps in CPU limited testing at release, so it will likely be a bottleneck for 144hz, but you should be able to use a Zen3 chip when they come out with a BIOS update. If / how performance is impacted by PCIe 3 vs 4 is as of yet unknown.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Been following the thread so I can learn more.

My question is about the new RTX 3070 card. I have no interest in buying one now, as I just bought all my stuff, but a couple years down the line maybe. From what I have read ITT and online, I would be able to put an RTX 3070 into this PC:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor
Motherboard: MSI B550M PRO-VDH WIFI Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (has 1 PCI 4.0)

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Martian Manfucker posted:

A 3070 will be fine as a 1400p/144 card for a good long time. A 3080 is wasting money if you're not doing 4k.

I_Socom posted:

On PSU chat: I bought a Corsair RM650x PSU 3 and a half years ago. If I upgrade the rest of the system (motherboard, CPU, 3080) then I should be fine to re-use the PSU, right? (assuming power draw for the 3080 ends up where folk are predicting)

Yep, good to go.

MikeJF posted:

Anyone got a checklist of stuff to do to your Win10 PC to prep for a Mobo/CPU replacement without reinstalling OS?

Uninstall chipset & audio drivers for the old mobo. That's not even required tho. As long as you aren't using mobo raid or another unusual storage type, you're pretty much good.

Rhaka posted:

For a little bit there were questions about Zen 3 being supported by B450, but AMD saw the light. (The light was all the flaming torches carried by an angry mob.)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
hell you can put a RTX3070 in to a FX-based system and it'll run just fine. PCI-E is dope like that and the 3070s bandwidth requirements are not high. However, you will be absurdly CPU constrained.

edit: you will not be CPU constrained on any current game, blue squares, by your Ryzen 5 3600 / B550 combo unless you are trying to push low res max frames in certain games for some reason

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

edit: you will not be CPU constrained on any current game, blue squares, by your Ryzen 5 3600 / B550 combo unless you are trying to push low res max frames in certain games for some reason

So I could play something like Cyberpunk 2077 on high settings doing that? Or maybe Horizon Zero Dawn is a better example since it as actually out. And low res max frames is probably not what I'd ever aim for since I don't do competitive gaming, mostly single player/co-op stuff, so I like it to look pretty as a priority.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

prompt posted:

Here is what I've been looking at, will be getting a 3080 to go with it. The X570 Unify is probably overkill and has been constantly out of stock here in Japan, so open to suggestions there (I'd like at least 2x PCIe 4.0 M.2 slots, Wifi 6, and a good amount of other connectivity). Also interested in suggestions for the NVME drive for the boot drive and games. Not interested in RGB. I don't think noise will be an issue for me so I'll run the cooler that comes with the 3700X.

I'm under my budget so if there is anything in particular that would see some benefit from upgrading please let me know.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($289.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 UNIFY ATX AM4 Motherboard ($299.99 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($138.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial P1 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($104.99 @ Adorama)
Case: Antec P101 Silent ATX Mid Tower Case ($104.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($139.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $1078.94
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-09-02 04:40 EDT-0400

Mobo: the Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro Wifi has wifi 6 and seems like the equivalent of the unify. For cheaper options, the Asrock steel legend AX has a very good wifi card on it.

NVMe drive: if you want PCIe 4 the options are limited and expensive (also they aren't that much over PCIe 3 max speeds). The Sabrent Rocket Gen4 is the usual choice for that. There are new drives coming out later in the year or early next year that will probably be better and have more competition for pricing. IMO you should just get a regular PCIe 3 NVMe drive now and get a 4 one later. Nothing today uses that speed.

The P1 isn't great as it's a QLC drive. Usual recommendations are the WD SN550 as a cheaper but good drive, or the WD SN750, Inland Premium, Adata SX8200 Pro, HP EX950 as a spread of midrange performance drives.

Case: strongly recommend changing to something else, the Antec P101 sucks. For a closed-front case some version of fractal define is much better. Or something like the O11 Air. (Actually speaking of Antec, they make an O11 ripoff that's pretty decent, but I don't know if you want a glass case.)

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

blue squares posted:

Been following the thread so I can learn more.

My question is about the new RTX 3070 card. I have no interest in buying one now, as I just bought all my stuff, but a couple years down the line maybe. From what I have read ITT and online, I would be able to put an RTX 3070 into this PC:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor
Motherboard: MSI B550M PRO-VDH WIFI Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (has 1 PCI 4.0)

A couple years down the line there will probably be something better than the 3070 at its current price point. That said, you're going to be just fine if you want to toss one in there a couple years from now.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

blue squares posted:

So I could play something like Cyberpunk 2077 on high settings doing that? Or maybe Horizon Zero Dawn is a better example since it as actually out. And low res max frames is probably not what I'd ever aim for since I don't do competitive gaming, mostly single player/co-op stuff, so I like it to look pretty as a priority.

Horizon Zero Dawn evidently sucks as a port, but with your new monitor on 1080p max quality you should be able to push like 100fps with a 3070 since the 3070 is supposed to be faster than a 2080ti and a 2080ti will break 100fps.

edit if you want stuff to look pretty you should buy a higher res monitor than the 1080p 27" that you posted

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

blue squares posted:

Yes. The prettier you want your games to be, the less your CPU matters. With current AAA games the only recent CPUs that can hold you back in noticeably bad ways are 4-core/4-thread parts.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

edit if you want stuff to look pretty you should buy a higher res monitor than the 1080p 27" that you posted

Yeah that's the one my brother told me to get. I later reconsidered and thought about getting something better, but the monitor I picked from newegg can't be returned for a refund. I tried to cancel my order shortly after placing it, but it was too late already. That's what I get for being hasty!

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew

Butterfly Valley posted:

Here's Sean's build with a few adjustments, which is very similar to what I'll be going for in a couple months.

He didn't include a motherboard, I've gone for a 550 chipset which guarantees a bit of future compatibility, micro ATX size because those come with on-board WiFi and it sounds like you have no need for many extra expansion slots. There's space for an additional NVMe drive for future storage expansion if needed. You could also go for a full-size ATX board and buy a separate WiFi card.

I've bumped it up to the 3700x sean mentioned because I think it makes sense to have a processor on parity with the next generation of consoles for when increased cores/threads are being fully taken advantage of. I've also changed the ram to a slightly faster module which plays nicely with the processor apparently.

I think you should absolutely wait for the 3070, it will be a big performance boost over if you bought now.

There's dedicated monitor and accessory threads in the forum but for single monitor gaming the sweet spot now is 1440p 27", which you can expect to pay €300-€500 for. Along with accessories your entire build should run you ~€2250.

So I went with most of these recs. Thanks again for all of them, to Sean as well. Just one more thing I was wondering. You guys did not include a regular old HDD. Is that something I need to look out for or is it alright with just the SSD? The reason I ask is that I'm used to installing the programs I intend to use a lot on the SSD and then using the HDD for long term data storage.

How do you guys feel about that?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Elliptical Dick posted:

So I went with most of these recs. Thanks again for all of them, to Sean as well. Just one more thing I was wondering. You guys did not include a regular old HDD. Is that something I need to look out for or is it alright with just the SSD? The reason I ask is that I'm used to installing the programs I intend to use a lot on the SSD and then using the HDD for long term data storage.

How do you guys feel about that?

If you need SHITLOADS of long term data storage hard drives are still good because they're cheaper.

But if all you need is like 1TB just get a 1TB SSD.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

PSU Chat:
I'm worried that my 5 year old AX760i is not going to be up to snuff for my upcoming build.

I'm trying to decide if I want to replace it with:
Seasonic Prime SSR-850TD 80+ Platinum
Corsair HX850
EVGA Supernova 850 T2

Thats what I have available to me right now. The Seasonic/Corsair is the cheaper option.

Goals are a silent PSU, reliability and minimal noise.

I was trying to find reviews online as to which one is "safe" and people keep complaining about how the Corsair HX850 "blows up" on them or melts. With the EVGA there is a lot of coil whine complaining and noise complaints. With the Seasonic there's not much info other than that it might be louder than Corsair.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Kraftwerk posted:

PSU Chat:
I'm worried that my 5 year old AX760i is not going to be up to snuff for my upcoming build.

I'm trying to decide if I want to replace it with:
Seasonic Prime SSR-850TD 80+ Platinum
Corsair HX850
EVGA Supernova 850 T2

Thats what I have available to me right now. The Seasonic/Corsair is the cheaper option.

Goals are a silent PSU, reliability and minimal noise.

I was trying to find reviews online as to which one is "safe" and people keep complaining about how the Corsair HX850 "blows up" on them or melts. With the EVGA there is a lot of coil whine complaining and noise complaints. With the Seasonic there's not much info other than that it might be louder than Corsair.

AXi series have 10 year warranties and are 80+ Plat, I'm struggling to think of a build it WON'T handle standing on its head.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

sean10mm posted:

AXi series have 10 year warranties and are 80+ Plat, I'm struggling to think of a build it WON'T handle standing on its head.

Will it be stressed trying to run a 3080/3090 with a 3700x or 3900x?

jkyuusai
Jun 26, 2008

homegrown man milk
Got my machine built last night. One thing that I lost an hour on I wanted to mention as it was a new one for me. I turned the machine on and it got through all the post codes properly and indicated it was sitting at the bios, but nothing showed on my display. Finally determined that the mobo in its default settings didn't want to work with my card over display port. Once I switched over to HDMI, it worked. I used that info to Google and found a hit talking about this and the person was also using my exact card (the EVGA 1070 SC Gaming Black). Someone suggested fiddling with uefi settings and turning on legacy/csm mode. I did that and then was able to use DP to view the bios.

It sounds like the expectation is that the card should have some info in its own vbios that should allow it to drive a monitor over DP when in this state, but that perhaps this particular one was lacking something.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Kraftwerk posted:

Will it be stressed trying to run a 3080/3090 with a 3700x or 3900x?

Not really unless you're doing something else weird. The worst total power draw (not just CPU) for 3900X systems running torture tests I can find is like 220W (the CPU by itself is capped at something like 142W unless you OC it). Add 350 for the 3090 and you're at 570W on a 760W PSU.

Video card PSU suggestions are based on the assumption that you have a garbage tier no-name PSU and some dumb power hog CPU.

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

sean10mm posted:

No, Zen 3 is confirmed for existing socket & chipsets.

Klyith posted:

For a little bit there were questions about Zen 3 being supported by B450, but AMD saw the light. (The light was all the flaming torches carried by an angry mob.)

So in I-don't-quite-get-it terms, you can buy a B450 mobo now which will work with the new AMD CPUs when they release, or you can buy a B550 mobo/the new hotness alongside the new CPUs in X months?

And it's a bit unclear on whether or not the older stuff will limit the performance of the new stuff, or is this nonsense?

Rhaka fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Sep 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Rhaka posted:

So in I-don't-quite-get-it terms, you can buy a B450 mobo now which will work with the new AMD CPUs when they release, or you can buy a B550 mobo/the new hotness alongside the new CPUs in X months?

You can buy the b450 and b550 boards now. Both will support Zen3. But buy B550 for PCIE 4.0 since the mark up on B550 is now minor.