Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

drat Dirty Ape posted:

So I'm almost done buying parts for my computer and here's what I have so far:

I haven't bought a processor since I may end up getting Zen 3, and I have been unable to get a 3080.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 280 72.8 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MAG X570 TOMAHAWK WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard ($274.00 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($139.94 @ Amazon)
Storage: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($249.99 @ Adorama)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB XC3 GAMING Video Card ($800.00)
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P500A ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Super Flower Leadex III Gold 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Total: $1573.92
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-10-22 10:37 EDT-0400

My main question is concerning cooling and case fans. For some reason I have a hard time wrapping my head around it. Could anyone recommend me a good fan configuration? I've heard good things about Noctua and was close to buying a 5 pack of Arctic P12 PWM fans as well.

I assume you’re putting your rad top mounted. So there’s no additional fan space because of the rad.

I also wouldn’t replace the front fans, at least until you know how they’ll perform. No real point in buying that case if you don’t like the front RGB, and it is stacked with 3x140mm.

The only fan that’s reasonably replaceable is the rear exhaust. There’s no additional fan spots in that case. You could reasonably replace the rear exhaust with something stronger, but I probably wouldn’t bother until you get it built and see how the cooling is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I think the cooling should be fine, it really depends on if you are planning to overclock. Obviously you'll have a bit more temperature headroom to OC the CPU with the AIO, but the 3080 should be fine with the default case fan configuration if you're not planning to OC it.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Oh I got the non-RGB version of the case so I only have 2 fans at the moment so I will probably need to buy at least one.

e: was thinking I might need to buy 2 more fans, one for the back and one to have 3 in the front.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Oh I got the non-RGB version of the case so I only have 2 fans at the moment so I will probably need to buy at least one.

e: was thinking I might need to buy 2 more fans, one for the back and one to have 3 in the front.

Oh I missed that.

If it were mine, I’d buy 2 noctua 140mm (NF-A14 or the chromax (black) equivalent).

Then I’d place one of them on exhaust, and the other one in the middle on the front so it’s pushing air over the GPU. Then front top and bottom the stock fans.

I wouldn’t bother replacing the stock fans with something entirely different unless you need the extra performance.

BeastRAGE
Nov 4, 2012

quote:

Anything below a 3080 is not a 4K GPU. Settle on 1440p 144Hz instead.

Someone said this on resetera, is this true?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

BeastRAGE posted:

hmmmm, think ima build it I guess. It should be cheaper as well right?

What country are you in?
-----USA
What are you using the system for?
-----Gaming. Want to be able to game at 4k. Also want to be able to play VR games(Doesnt have to be at 4k)
What's your budget?
-----For the computer itself, lets go with 2500. Will need a monitor as well. Plus mouse/keyboard etc.
If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use?
-----N/A
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”?
-----Ultra preset fast as possible.

Here is a build from resetera:
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/crazymoogle/saved/c9zyK8

Thoughts on that one?

If you are really goin for the biggest and baddest, wait a couple weeks to see how the 5900X stacks up against 10900K, unless you plan on hard core OCing, which I suspect you don't based on your use of an air cooler.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

BeastRAGE posted:

Yeah it’s true.

The 3080 will even struggle at 4K a bit on ultra.

gently caress on warzone @1440p I’m struggling to get my 3080 to 144fps without turning basically everything off.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Kingnothing posted:

Oh I missed that.

If it were mine, I’d buy 2 noctua 140mm (NF-A14 or the chromax (black) equivalent).

Then I’d place one of them on exhaust, and the other one in the middle on the front so it’s pushing air over the GPU. Then front top and bottom the stock fans.

I wouldn’t bother replacing the stock fans with something entirely different unless you need the extra performance.

Thanks! Ordered a couple of fans. Now to wait a few months until I can get a video card....

BeastRAGE
Nov 4, 2012

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

If you are really goin for the biggest and baddest, wait a couple weeks to see how the 5900X stacks up against 10900K, unless you plan on hard core OCing, which I suspect you don't based on your use of an air cooler.
Already pulled the trigger on it from bestbuy. Can just return it though.

Kingnothing posted:

Yeah it’s true.

The 3080 will even struggle at 4K a bit on ultra.

gently caress on warzone @1440p I’m struggling to get my 3080 to 144fps without turning basically everything off.

hmmm.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Is the i7 6700k and motherboard good enough for; https://pcpartpicker.com/list/xYMFt8?

I had planned to not reuse parts from my previous computer however not spending 500ish more and waiting for new AMD cards is an option I would consider. I do realize the memory is faster then the motherboard can handle so I'd lose some of it's speed.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Oct 23, 2020

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

BeastRAGE posted:

I mean, the 3070 is supposed to be on-par/better than a 2080, right? And unless no one plays 4k right now, I assume it will be fine. :shrug:

Like, nothing is future-proof, but what is this magical scenario in the immediate future that a 2080 will poo poo the bed on 4k/VR? Is it just raytracing?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I mean, the 3070 is supposed to be on-par/better than a 2080, right? And unless no one plays 4k right now, I assume it will be fine. :shrug:

Like, nothing is future-proof, but what is this magical scenario in the immediate future that a 2080 will poo poo the bed on 4k/VR? Is it just raytracing?

2080Ti, not a plain 2080.

poo poo, we have people say a 3070 isn't a legit 1440p card, which would mean nothing was until the 3080 appeared (for a very loose definition of "appeared" :haw:)

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

It’s really a difference between 4K max settings and 4K while dipping a bunch of poo poo. It’s also 144vs60

The 3080 in benchmarks hits 4k@60 on max settings on most current games, and for a fair amount of current games barely gets 60FPS. I don’t really know why you’d invest in 4K to play at lower graphics settings, especially when in a year or two from now performance demands will be higher.

Ray tracing destroys FPS. The quake pure rtx can’t even run 60FPS at Max on a 3080.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
It's 1998 all over again! :unsmith::hf::smith:

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

There's a world of difference in performance numbers between 'ultra' and 'high' and very rarely much to any visual difference. People like to say "I just want to set everything to max and forget about it" but it's really not a bright way to look at it. Unfortunately, finding benchmarks below max settings is pretty difficult.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Seems like High with A.A. disabled has been the sweet spot for me even with my aging 1070 at 27" 1440p. Anything above that seems marginal. Maybe im a weirdo but having A.A disabled looks nicer most of the times too? Things look nice and sharp. Wasn't at all like I remember back in the mid 2000s, though maybe it was because its more noticeable on lower resolutions and screen sizes?

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

buglord posted:

Seems like High with A.A. disabled has been the sweet spot for me even with my aging 1070 at 27" 1440p. Anything above that seems marginal. Maybe im a weirdo but having A.A disabled looks nicer most of the times too? Things look nice and sharp. Wasn't at all like I remember back in the mid 2000s, though maybe it was because its more noticeable on lower resolutions and screen sizes?

I'm also a member of the AA Off Squad. Gimme dem sharp pixels.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Pegnose Pete posted:

I'm also a member of the AA Off Squad. Gimme dem sharp pixels.

I mean...can you even see the pixels at 1440 on a 27 inch? :pwn:

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
I mean really though some games have really bad AA implementation anyway. DQXI comes to mind. Having AA off is subtle in most games but I do prefer the sharp look.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Yeah its kinda cool that A.A Off gives me a hearty FPS increase *and* makes the game look better.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
I am looking to upgrade the SSD my operating system is on. This Inland seemed to be the best deal for a 2TB M.2 drive that used TLC. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07X74M6PT/?coliid=IEU8CPFCERE04&colid=1NRN82VFS1TSP&th=1

Also how worth it are M.2 heat syncs like this?https://www.amazon.com/heatsink-dou...ctronics&sr=1-3 I am guessing they are pointless but for :10bux: I thought it was worth asking about.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Not sure where to put this but after about a year's worth of occasional BSOD's my motherboard finally did some telltale chirps and said "Hey dumbass your RAM from 2010 is worn out." I can't afford to do a full upgrade on my rig, so I'm really relieved I could pick up some "cheap" DDR3 RAM to replace the old stuff, and it seems to have instantly solved the issue.

It's such a relief.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
What country are you in? USA
What are you using the system for? Gaming, video editing
What's your budget? Flexible
If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use? N/A
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? Main monitor is 1440p @ 140hz, second monitor is 1440p @ 60hz.

I went very tasteful and understated with the last build. Now, I'm ready to make an RGB monster that glows like the surface of the sun. RGB me up. Mobo, anything else that can be RGB let's do it. Not married to the case, but it seems like a good one. If there are case fans I should get, also interested in recommendations there.

Like everyone else, plan is to get a 3070 or 3080 whenever that becomes a possibility. Leaning towards 3070, but if both were available I'd consider a 3080. Mostly play Valorant and Rocket League, but I also play some more demanding games, and running those at max or close to max settings at 140fps would be cool.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($309.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition 57.3 CFM CPU Cooler (Purchased For $0.00)
Motherboard: MSI MAG B550M BAZOOKA Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($114.99 @ B&H)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($89.99 @ B&H)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($104.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Blue 6 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6 GB SC GAMING Video Card (Purchased For $269.99)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Thermaltake Toughpower Grand RGB 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($10.00)
Monitor: LG 27GL83A-B 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor (Purchased For $379.99)
Total: $1629.91
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-10-23 02:54 EDT-0400

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Fans/RGB-%26-LED-Fans/iCUE-QL-RGB-PWM-Fan/p/CO-9050098-WW

Node core can power the lights of 6 corsair fans.

QLs have even more rgb the the LL fans. My wife has the LL fans and those are stunning too though

I have their ram, its glorious.
https://www.corsair.com/us/en/vengeance-rgb-pro-memory

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

side_burned posted:

I am looking to upgrade the SSD my operating system is on. This Inland seemed to be the best deal for a 2TB M.2 drive that used TLC. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07X74M6PT/?coliid=IEU8CPFCERE04&colid=1NRN82VFS1TSP&th=1

Also how worth it are M.2 heat syncs like this?https://www.amazon.com/heatsink-dou...ctronics&sr=1-3 I am guessing they are pointless but for :10bux: I thought it was worth asking about.

I wouldn't bother unless you have one that you got for free. I recall reading about the driver chip being hot throttling transfer rates, but the flash memory being hot not being a big deal a year or more ago. Generally this won't be an issue except for very long sustained disk activity. The one you linked looks pretty big, too, so it could possibly interfere with fitment if the M.2 slot is near your PCI-E video card or something.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Recommendation request:
A power supply that won't die in a year but wont' really be used for much.

System:
i5 6600(non-k) -Will be using the onboard GPU
16GB (4 sticks 4gb ram)
1 System SSD
1 Spinny platter drive (Planned for later)
DVD drive (LOL if I ever use it pretty sure it hasn't been fired up in over a year. )

Use:
Work from home (internet explorer remote connection)
light browsing etc.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

tater_salad posted:

Recommendation request:
A power supply that won't die in a year but wont' really be used for much.

System:
i5 6600(non-k) -Will be using the onboard GPU
16GB (4 sticks 4gb ram)
1 System SSD
1 Spinny platter drive (Planned for later)
DVD drive (LOL if I ever use it pretty sure it hasn't been fired up in over a year. )

Use:
Work from home (internet explorer remote connection)
light browsing etc.

Corsair CXM Bronze 450W.

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
I recently purchased 16GB of CMK16GX4M2Z3200C16 RAM for my Ryzen 2600 build, having previously bought 32GB of CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 by mistake, but it works. I got CMK16GX4M2Z3200C16 ver 4.32 instead of 4.31, which isn't on the support list for my B450. From checking on google it looks like 4.32 is either lovely B-die or C-die. Is this an issue? Can I just return the RAM (or keep it for later) and manually overclock the CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 that's already installed with minimal issue?

For reference here's my Thaiphoon reading for the RAM that's currently installed.

School Nickname fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Oct 23, 2020

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

School Nickname posted:

I recently purchased 16GB of CMK16GX4M2Z3200C16 RAM for my Ryzen 2600 build, having previously bought 32GB of CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 by mistake, but it works. I got CMK16GX4M2Z3200C16 ver 4.32 instead of 4.31, which isn't on the support list for my B450. From checking on google it looks like 4.32 is either lovely B-die or C-die. Is this an issue? Can I just return the RAM (or keep it for later) and manually overclock the CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 that's already installed with minimal issue?

For reference here's my Thaiphoon reading for the RAM that's currently installed.

Do you have XMP enabled?

With 3200 ram odds are strong it'll just work, though a 2600 might top out at 2933 or 3000, simply because, while markedly better than Zen1's, Zen+s memory controller wasn't fully ironed out. The difference between those and 3200 is negligible though.

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

Some Goon posted:

Do you have XMP enabled?

With 3200 ram odds are strong it'll just work, though a 2600 might top out at 2933 or 3000, simply because, while markedly better than Zen1's, Zen+s memory controller wasn't fully ironed out. The difference between those and 3200 is negligible though.

Just enabled XMP on the bios So is the below to be expected? How stable will it be? 2933 is good enough for me currently.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

School Nickname posted:

Just enabled XMP on the bios So is the below to be expected? How stable will it be? 2933 is good enough for me currently.

Yeah, that's what I'd expect to see. I wouldn't expect to see any stability issues, I've been running a 2600 at 2933 for years now without a hitch.

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

Thank you, Some Goon. I guess I'll keep the 1TB NVME and the RAM in storage for a nice B550/B650 build 2 years from now. Assuming I don't blow my 2600 up OCing it...

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

I'm running 2666 at 3200 on a Gigabyte B450 (XMP off) FWIW on a Ryzen 5 2600

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009
My cpu fan just died a fiery death, what’s the goon consensus on the best fan to replace it? CPU is an i5-6600k. Thanks!

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Any hot tips on a 3080/3070 hookup??

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Any hot tips on a 3080/3070 hookup??
3070 isn’t out yet

The 3080s are going in and out of stock but there is very little supply right now. Nvidia is saying to expect more soon but that’s about it

AeroZ
Nov 9, 2016

AeroZ posted:

I’ve been running a frankenstein setup for some years now. Occasionally upgraded to a newer used GPU. I’m wondering would I gain any noticeable performance by upgrading my CPU/MB/RAM to lets say Ryzen 3600 platform?

My setup:
Intel Xeon X5670 @ 4.2GHz (6c/12t)
DDR3 3x8GB 1600MHz RAM (triple channel)
Nvdia Geforce GTX 1070 8GB (2035/8400)
SATA 500GB SSD AND a random HDD for data

I got 6100 points in 3D Mark Time Spy which is more than “most” 2020 gaming laptops with i7 and 2060 (according to 3D Mark).

Any comments/ideas?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

AeroZ posted:

Any comments/ideas?

That's a first Core iX era part, so most likely yes, those things a pretty dang old now. There also old enough that none of the big publications are benching them anymore so I can't say how big an uplift it'll be, but multiple goons have moved off i7 970s and the like recentlyish.

Veris
Jul 5, 2007

RVT posted:

I went very tasteful and understated with the last build. Now, I'm ready to make an RGB monster that glows like the surface of the sun. RGB me up. Mobo, anything else that can be RGB let's do it. Not married to the case, but it seems like a good one. If there are case fans I should get, also interested in recommendations there.

here are some options
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/QjQcYg

https://www.newegg.com/p/1W7-007E-00001
https://www.newegg.com/airgoo-amdrg...40142-_-Product
https://www.newegg.com/deepcool-model-gh-01/p/1DW-005G-00003
https://www.v1tech.com/product-category/backplates/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

RVT posted:

What country are you in? USA
What are you using the system for? Gaming, video editing
What's your budget? Flexible
If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use? N/A
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? Main monitor is 1440p @ 140hz, second monitor is 1440p @ 60hz.

If you really want to go all out on pointless bling, get one of the AIO's that has a little LCD screen on the pump. Yeah, they can display your CPU temp or w/e, but they can also display animated gifs. For when you absolutely need to have Goatse on your CPU block.