Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

sean10mm posted:

A 3700X would maybe be 10% faster in games at 1080p vs. a 7700K, but it would be much better at multitasking since it has twice as many cores and threads.

If your main concern is gaming a 5600X is a way better buy for similar money (if you can find one)

I use 1440p, which from what I understand means I probably won't see much change in the gaming department if I pick up an AMD CPU, but it'll still help my multitasking.

Obviously I want a 5600x really badly over anything in the 3000 series, but loving hell is it impossible to find one right now. I'd gladly take a 5700 or whatever is higher, but those are sold out too. :smith:

Umbreon fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Nov 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Hey folks, my i5 4690 and GTX 970 are starting to feel old so I think it is time to build something new.

I'm in the USA and can drive to a microcenter.
I'm gonna be playing video games, specifically I'm gonna finally finish the GTA5 campaign on a frame rate higher than 40 with literally every setting turned down to lowest.
My budget is around $1500 but somewhat flexible pending arguments for better value. Keeping monitors outside of this budget.
I am unprofessional.
For now this is getting plugged in to 1080p/144hz, I do eventually wanna look in to a 1440p/144hz monitor but there's a weird compromise space where if you want refresh rate and resolution and the correct panel type monitors jump from 200 to 500, anyway that's a different thread.
I'm hoping to get games that are already out to run at 90+ fps at 1080p on medum-high or so without really dipping below, hopefully at least that.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-10400 2.9 GHz 6-Core Processor ($179.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition 42 CFM CPU Cooler ($26.99 @ B&H)
Motherboard: ASRock B460 Pro4 ATX LGA1200 Motherboard ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($74.94 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($94.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Antec P101 Silent ATX Mid Tower Case ($105.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS 750 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($144.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $727.87
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-11-17 00:47 EST-0500

The video card will be a 3070, probably EVGA but another one becoming in stock might tempt me. ($500+ @ Anywhere)
With a keyboard, a mouse and a windows license that pretty much puts me around the budget.

I understand I should be buying the 10600k if I'm gonna be doing overclocking, I'm definitely not going to be overclocking, stock the performance jump seems to be less than 10% and the price jump from $180 to $250 is way more than 10%, am I a fool?
Do I even need the custom heatsink at all? How are these chips with the stock heatsink/fan these days?
I see folks buying Z490 boards, but I can't figure out why I would want to. If I'm running a single video card at 16x and the boot nvme/m.2 at 4x the B460 can handle that concurrently, right? Am I missing other reasons to consider the upgrade chipset? As far as I could tell it's pcie lanes and usb ports.

I'm excited to be building something where no drive bays of any kind will be occupied (or even mounted in the case).

Please tell me how everything here is wrong, thank you!

Brut fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Nov 17, 2020

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0WOZyORmtU

Seems like its similar to a 9700k, should be fine.

For non overclocking that cooler is great. I think its worth it to get rid of an annoying small fan.

$150 for 6 cores 12 threads

https://www.microcenter.com/product/622904/intel-core-i5-10400-comet-lake-29ghz-six-core-lga-1200-boxed-processor

nice

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Brut posted:

Hey folks, my i5 4690 and GTX 970 are starting to feel old so I think it is time to build something new.

I'm in the USA and can drive to a microcenter.
I'm gonna be playing video games, specifically I'm gonna finally finish the GTA5 campaign on a frame rate higher than 40 with literally every setting turned down to lowest.
My budget is around $1500 but somewhat flexible pending arguments for better value. Keeping monitors outside of this budget.
I am unprofessional.
For now this is getting plugged in to 1080p/144hz, I do eventually wanna look in to a 1440p/144hz monitor but there's a weird compromise space where if you want refresh rate and resolution and the correct panel type monitors jump from 200 to 500, anyway that's a different thread.
I'm hoping to get games that are already out to run at 90+ fps at 1080p on medum-high or so without really dipping below, hopefully at least that.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-10400 2.9 GHz 6-Core Processor ($179.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition 42 CFM CPU Cooler ($26.99 @ B&H)
Motherboard: ASRock B460 Pro4 ATX LGA1200 Motherboard ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($74.94 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($94.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Antec P101 Silent ATX Mid Tower Case ($105.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS 750 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($144.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $727.87
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-11-17 00:47 EST-0500

The video card will be a 3070, probably EVGA but another one becoming in stock might tempt me. ($500+ @ Anywhere)
With a keyboard, a mouse and a windows license that pretty much puts me around the budget.

I understand I should be buying the 10600k if I'm gonna be doing overclocking, I'm definitely not going to be overclocking, stock the performance jump seems to be less than 10% and the price jump from $180 to $250 is way more than 10%, am I a fool?
Do I even need the custom heatsink at all? How are these chips with the stock heatsink/fan these days?
I see folks buying Z490 boards, but I can't figure out why I would want to. If I'm running a single video card at 16x and the boot nvme/m.2 at 4x the B460 can handle that concurrently, right? Am I missing other reasons to consider the upgrade chipset? As far as I could tell it's pcie lanes and usb ports.

I'm excited to be building something where no drive bays of any kind will be occupied (or even mounted in the case).

Please tell me how everything here is wrong, thank you!

Do you have a particular reason to be going Intel?

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Funso Banjo posted:

Do you have a particular reason to be going Intel?

Familiarity for the most part, from the looks of it this board is roughly the AMD equivalent, the Ryzen 5 2600 is about the same price and performance but then I'd be buying a generation behind, right? I'm guessing the suggestion would be to go up to the higher price point on the CPU where the 3600XT should outperform the similarly priced 10600k? I could also be missing something in the AMD models.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

I was able to get an order in for an AMD 5800X this morning, ETA of 12/2 - 12/4. I still don't have a 3080, so I may try to get my hands on the 5900X I really want in the meantime. I know for my uses there will be little difference (gaming, Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop), but I'm a big dumb baby and was really looking forward to the higher end chip.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

Brut posted:

Familiarity for the most part, from the looks of it this board is roughly the AMD equivalent, the Ryzen 5 2600 is about the same price and performance but then I'd be buying a generation behind, right? I'm guessing the suggestion would be to go up to the higher price point on the CPU where the 3600XT should outperform the similarly priced 10600k? I could also be missing something in the AMD models.

3600 prices are jacked up right now and above MSRP at a lot of places except for Walmart, who has it listed on sale for $175.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/AMD-Ryzen-5-3600-6-Core-12-Thread-4-2-GHz-AM4-Processor/566127657

At that price point I'd consider it the best CPU price:performance on the market.

-just checked again and the price went up $75 in the last 10 minutes. Had one in my cart I was asking if I should order it for Christmas for somebody. Welp.

Cyks fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Nov 17, 2020

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012
Thanks for your help everyone, I have my computer all built up now, though I am having a problem-
The graphics card does not have a vga port meaning it can't be plugged into my old monitor; it isn't a massive problem for now, as I can just buy an adaptor, but while I was testing out the machine to see if it worked, a little red light popped up on the board next the words "VGA". Now I'm hoping this is because the graphics card isn't plugged into anything. Could that be the case, or is it more likely there is something wrong with the card? It seems to be powered as the fans are turning around, but perhaps it could be a pins problem? :s

FreeKillB posted:

Thread's moving fairly fast, just wanted to add in a note that unless I'm mistaken the Pro4 is in a tier where ASRock motherboards do not have any kind of debug LED. Looking at manuals for budget B550s, the only thing I can say definitively is that it looks like debug LEDs are present on MSI's boards (I checked it for the Pro-VDH max at least). It's not a dealbreaker (my most recent build used a comparable ASRock mobo) as long as you don't have any trouble hooking things up but I wanted to highlight that as a potential feature that could save you a significant headache if you have issues getting things to post.

You are mistaken FreeKillB. New technology is amazingly useful. All these little lights telling me what I've done wrong!

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

Chatrapati posted:

Thanks for your help everyone, I have my computer all built up now, though I am having a problem-
The graphics card does not have a vga port meaning it can't be plugged into my old monitor; it isn't a massive problem for now, as I can just buy an adaptor, but while I was testing out the machine to see if it worked, a little red light popped up on the board next the words "VGA". Now I'm hoping this is because the graphics card isn't plugged into anything. Could that be the case, or is it more likely there is something wrong with the card? It seems to be powered as the fans are turning around, but perhaps it could be a pins problem? :s

How old is this monitor? VGA stopped being the standard for interconnects a long time ago

You can’t use a simple adaptor to plug it in as it requires active conversion to go from digital (DisplayPort or HDMI) to analog (VGA). For the price of an active conversion box, you could just buy a new monitor. 1080p 60hz monitors in the 21” range can be had for less than $100

quote:

You are mistaken FreeKillB. New technology is amazingly useful. All these little lights telling me what I've done wrong!

I believe the VGA light on your mobo is telling you that it detected a video card is installed, you just don’t have anything to hook it up to right now. In this case, VGA is being used as shorthand for “video card” and has nothing to do with the interconnect (confusing, I know)

vanilla slimfast fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Nov 17, 2020

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
Welp, I was (finally) able to score an RTX 3070 that gets delivered in a couple of weeks so it's time to start planning a new build in earnest.

What country are you in? USA
What are you using the system for? Primary driver for upgrade is playing MSFS; otherwise I do very light software development and nearly everything else of consequence is done in a browser. I may play a few other games on Steam occasionally but mostly older stuff because I am older stuff.
What's your budget? Now that I've hopefully got the video card, I'd like to keep the rest of the system around $900, but it's not a hard ceiling if there is solid rationale.
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? I'm running a dual monitor 1080p setup that is nothing special but works for my needs and I can't see that changing in the near future. I would likely tune any settings as high as the CPU/GPU bottleneck would allow given the hardware setup. And I think (but am happy to be corrected) that if I moved to a 1440 monitor in the future this would support that.

Other contextual comments: I don't have the Zen3 CPU yet but am actively on the hunt; it's safe to say I'll likely buy whatever version I can get my hands on first. Additionally, I am not into RGB and visual elements of modern case design; form and function are most important.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($34.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard ($189.99 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial P1 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($83.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB VENTUS 2X OC Video Card (Purchased For $549.00)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($95.99 @ B&H)
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($154.99 @ Corsair)
Total: $669.94
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-11-17 08:59 EST-0500

Outstanding questions I have:
  1. Is that CPU cooler sufficient and does it come with the right mounting bracket/hardware? Research has been inconclusive on this point and recommendations vary widely from "lol $200 heat sink or bust" to "liquid or ur dumb" so I have no idea.
  2. Is there really a significant concern around the X570 motherboard needing a BIOS flash to handle a Zen3 chip? I don't have another AM4 chip laying around and we're in the middle of a goddamn pandemic so appreciable amounts of planning will be involved if this is the case.
  3. Is this case reasonable for ease of use and airflow? As noted above, I'm not super motivated by physical aesthetics and I'm open to buying a few more fans as needed but don't have the desire to massively overhaul what a case comes with.

Beef Of Ages fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Nov 17, 2020

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Mackieman posted:

Welp, I was (finally) able to score an RTX 3070 that gets delivered in a couple of weeks so it's time to start planning a new build in earnest.

What country are you in? USA
What are you using the system for? Primary driver for upgrade is playing MSFS; otherwise I do very light software development and nearly everything else of consequence is done in a browser. I may play a few other games on Steam occasionally but mostly older stuff because I am older stuff.
What's your budget? Now that I've hopefully got the video card, I'd like to keep the rest of the system around $900, but it's not a hard ceiling if there is solid rationale.
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? I'm running a dual monitor 1080p setup that is nothing special but works for my needs and I can't see that changing in the near future. I would likely tune any settings as high as the CPU/GPU bottleneck would allow given the hardware setup. And I think (but am happy to be corrected) that if I moved to a 1440 monitor in the future this would support that.

Other contextual comments: I don't have the Zen3 CPU yet but am actively on the hunt; it's safe to say I'll likely buy whatever version I can get my hands on first. Additionally, I am not into RGB and visual elements of modern case design; form and function are most important.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($34.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard ($189.99 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial P1 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($83.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB VENTUS 2X OC Video Card (Purchased For $549.00)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($95.99 @ B&H)
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($154.99 @ Corsair)
Total: $669.94
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-11-17 08:59 EST-0500

Outstanding questions I have:
  • Is that CPU cooler sufficient and does it come with the right mounting bracket/hardware? Research has been inconclusive on this point and recommendations vary widely from "lol $200 heat sink or bust" to "liquid or ur dumb" so I have no idea.
  • Is there really a significant concern around the X570 motherboard needing a BIOS flash to handle a Zen3 chip? I don't have another AM4 chip laying around and we're in the middle of a goddamn pandemic so appreciable amounts of planning will be involved if this is the case.
  • Is this case reasonable for ease of use and airflow? As noted above, I'm not super motivated by physical aesthetics and I'm open to buying a few more fans as needed but don't have the desire to massively overhaul what a case comes with.

For a 5800X I would definitely move to a bigger cooler like a Noctua U14S. It runs hot as balls. For a 5600X any of the 120mm tower coolers would probably be plenty though.
BIOS updates for Zen 3 compatiility are definitely a big deal. I just built a system a week ago and needed to flash to the latest BIOS for my 5800X. Get a board with BIOS flashback/Q Flash plus/whatever the manufacturer calls CPU-less BIOS updates.
Meshify C is good, going to 2x140 or 3x120 front plus 1x120 rear is a worthwhile upgrade IMO but not absolutely critical

Why are you looking at X570? Unless you need to plug up a ton of SATA+PCIE+M2 devices at once B550 is just as good as X570 and usually less money for equal features now.

e: Also don't buy the P1 when the SN550 is better and basically the same price, that old P1 recommendation keeps coming up and just needs to die IMO.

e2: You absolutely do not need 850W for a Zen 3 + 3070 combo. A quality 650W would heave headroom to spare.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Nov 17, 2020

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012

vanilla slimfast posted:

How old is this monitor? VGA stopped being the standard for interconnects a long time ago

I don't really know how old it is. Old enough to not have a hdmi port I suppose! I bought it cheaply (£20~) about three years ago from a second-hand shop.

quote:

You can’t use a simple adaptor to plug it in as it requires active conversion to go from digital (DisplayPort or HDMI) to analog (VGA). For the price of an active conversion box, you could just buy a new monitor. 1080p 60hz monitors in the 21” range can be had for less than $100

That is excellent advice, thank you. I'm glad I posted about that. I didn't want to buy a monitor, but I suppose I'll have to.

quote:

I believe the VGA light on your mobo is telling you that it detected a video card is installed, you just don’t have anything to hook it up to right now

I hope you're correct. :)

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

sean10mm posted:

For a 5800X I would definitely move to a bigger cooler like a Noctua U14S. It runs hot as balls. For a 5600X any of the 120mm tower coolers would probably be plenty though.
BIOS updates for Zen 3 compatiility are definitely a big deal. I just built a system a week ago and needed to flash to the latest BIOS for my 5800X. Get a board with BIOS flashback/Q Flash plus/whatever the manufacturer calls CPU-less BIOS updates.
Meshify C is good, going to 2x140 or 3x120 front plus 1x120 rear is a worthwhile upgrade IMO but not absolutely critical

Why are you looking at X570? Unless you need to plug up a ton of SATA+PCIE+M2 devices at once B550 is just as good as X570 and usually less money for equal features now.

e: Also don't buy the P1 when the SN550 is better and basically the same price, that old P1 recommendation keeps coming up and just needs to die IMO.

e2: You absolutely do not need 850W for a Zen 3 + 3070 combo. A quality 650W would heave headroom to spare.

Cooler info makes sense. Asus apparently has the Flashback thing but not on this particular board so I'll have to evaluate that more closely or look at the B550; I am unlikely to have more than a singe M2 device plus maybe a SATA drive for more storage but probably not even that. And thanks for the notes on the storage and PSU; I'll make a PSU choice likely based on price and availability but still within the quality range.

:tipshat:

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I've been thinking of getting a second monitor or replacing my 24" 1080p monitor with a 1440 27"-er, am I screwed out of either solution with a 1650 Super?

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
And I just got a 5800X on Amazon. Clearly these were prescient posts, heh.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Mackieman posted:

And I just got a 5800X on Amazon. Clearly these were prescient posts, heh.

I just completed my build with a 5800x using an Asus Tuf Gaming Plus B550 board and it’s working great. BIOS flashing prior to installing the CPU was a piece of cake

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

vanilla slimfast posted:

I just completed my build with a 5800x using an Asus Tuf Gaming Plus B550 board and it’s working great. BIOS flashing prior to installing the CPU was a piece of cake

Nifty, that's one I was looking at. Do you perchance have a link to the flashing instructions you followed?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I haven't build a pc in ages, but a buddy of mine asked me to put together a part list for him that is capable of 4k gaming. It looks like some of the higher gpus are expensive as balls, but I'm curious if this setup would perform well for 4k gaming. (I don't know his exact monitor details). His budget was "whatever you'd pay", so I went with around $1500. Could maybe push it to $2000 if the upgrades are worthwhile.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($264.55 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($89.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard ($179.99 @ Adorama)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory ($134.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue 2 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB PULSE Video Card ($409.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($87.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Gigabyte P GM 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($108.78 @ Other World Computing)
Total: $1541.20
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-11-17 11:14 EST-0500

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013

MacheteZombie posted:

I haven't build a pc in ages, but a buddy of mine asked me to put together a part list for him that is capable of 4k gaming. It looks like some of the higher gpus are expensive as balls, but I'm curious if this setup would perform well for 4k gaming. (I don't know his exact monitor details). His budget was "whatever you'd pay", so I went with around $1500. Could maybe push it to $2000 if the upgrades are worthwhile.

PCPartPicker Part List

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory ($134.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue 2 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Gigabyte P GM 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($108.78 @ Other World Computing)

Might want to check SA Mart for a better price on Windows

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Mackieman posted:

Nifty, that's one I was looking at. Do you perchance have a link to the flashing instructions you followed?

Asus flashing instructions in the manual of the board are generally pretty good. You can always post here if you get stuck.

For your PSU once your <3 weeks from build start looking and snatch up whatever’s on sale at 650w+ That’s a decent brand/model.

Set at alert or follow r/buildapcsales or something. When you find something you can ask here or the comments there generally will be good about saying if it’s a good deal.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

change my name posted:

I've been thinking of getting a second monitor or replacing my 24" 1080p monitor with a 1440 27"-er, am I screwed out of either solution with a 1650 Super?

For office work either should be fine.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

PCPartPicker Part List

4k@60 on modern games with most of the settings tuned up won’t happen on a 5700XT.

If you want solid 4k at max settings 3080/90 or bust is kind of it right now.

If you can get one and you’re spending that much on a system, I’d probably bump to a 5600x too.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Nohearum posted:

Might want to check SA Mart for a better price on Windows

Thanks for this most excellent of tips

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

MacheteZombie posted:

Thanks for this most excellent of tips

I used LODGE NORTH and they're 100% legit.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Kingnothing posted:

4k@60 on modern games with most of the settings tuned up won’t happen on a 5700XT.

If you want solid 4k at max settings 3080/90 or bust is kind of it right now.

If you can get one and you’re spending that much on a system, I’d probably bump to a 5600x too.

hmm cant seem to find any 3080/90s in stock for less than 1000 though*, is there a go to option for those that are out of stock be restocked frequent enough? same for the 5600x?

unless the PNY brand of those cards is good: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/9g6qqs/pny-geforce-rtx-3080-10-gb-xlr8-gaming-revel-epic-x-rgb-video-card-vcg308010tfxppb

Thom ZombieForm
Oct 29, 2010

I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
I have a PSU from an old build (750w)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IKDETOW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Will this suffice for a zen3 + 3080, or should I look for a new one?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Some Goon posted:

For office work either should be fine.

That's what I thought, I guess I can scale down to 1080p for gaming. I'm going to try to grab the very nice 27" imac pro from my office and see how that works as a monitor.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

MacheteZombie posted:

hmm cant seem to find any 3080/90s in stock for less than 1000 though*, is there a go to option for those that are out of stock be restocked frequent enough? same for the 5600x?

unless the PNY brand of those cards is good: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/9g6qqs/pny-geforce-rtx-3080-10-gb-xlr8-gaming-revel-epic-x-rgb-video-card-vcg308010tfxppb

The stock on NVIDIA 30xx GPUs and AMD Ryzen 3 CPUs is very bad right now and likely will be for the foreseeable future. Finding stuff takes active effort and a good deal of luck. Thus, the thread title.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

MacheteZombie posted:

Right now getting a 3080 or a 5600X is an exercise in :f5: a lot or watching a stock tracker like https://discord.gg/vQKAedap7r

There aren't really any bad 3080 cards that I know of TBH

This is my take for a "barebones" (LOL) 4k60 build.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor ($300.00)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer 34 CO CPU Cooler ($35.19 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MAG B550M BAZOOKA Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($61.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Asus GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB TUF GAMING Video Card ($700.00)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($119.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $1530.13
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-11-17 11:27 EST-0500

Upgrade options from there:

A higher end CPU is kind of irrelevant for 4K gaming unless future games require more CPU threads than 12, which is unlikely anytime soon.
Move up to 32gb and/or 3600CL16 like Crucial Ballistix
You can always go with a fancier motherboard but it's not necessary unless you need more ports/wifi/whatever
Spending more on a faster SSD like a P31 or even a 980 Pro is fine but won't do much IRL in gaming
Any RTX 3080 is fine TBH, the TUF probably has the best cooler but it probably doesn't matter
The Meshify C can take 3x120 front or 2x140 front fans to go with the 1x120 rear for better cooling

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Nov 17, 2020

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

MacheteZombie posted:

You're trying to build a PC at maybe the worst time right now as new generations of GPU and CPU have just come out which are big improvements on what came before. The 3080 should be $700-$850 (for some of the boards by other manufacturers) and the 5600x CPU ~$300. Everyone is in the same boat trying to snag the available stock every time sites update. There hasn't been an appreciable drop-off in price for the old gen components either that would make them recommendable, as it seems the Ryzen 3600 is either out of stock or jacked up in price everywhere.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

change my name posted:

I'm going to try to grab the very nice 27" imac pro from my office and see how that works as a monitor.

It won't.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Thanks for all the help. I've sent him the list Sean10mm linked, and told him about the inventory issues. I agree the timing doesn't seem right for a build.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Our IT person just confirmed, guess I'll have to buy one. Oh well

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

Thanks for all the help. I've sent him the list Sean10mm linked, and told him about the inventory issues. I agree the timing doesn't seem right for a build.

Sean's list was great and it isn't impossible to get the components if you're signed up to that discord, I got my 3080 last week without much trouble and am waiting for the next 5600x stock to drop. If your friend joins the discord and sets it up to ping notifications it's fairly painless. Otherwise you'll be waiting until some arbitrary future point where you can waltz onto any website and it has everything you want, which most likely won't be until next year.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Mackieman posted:

Here’s the online guide, but the manual included with the mobo covers it as well:
https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1038568/

The only tricky bit for me was having a friend w a windows machine run their bios file renaming utility for me, as I only had access to Macs and my windows VM was not booting. Once I had the correctly named file, I put it on a fat32 formatted flash drive, plugged it in the specific slot, pressed the flashback button, and then waited 5 mins for the light to stop blinking. That was it. I did not have any peripherals installed into the mobo, it was just the bare board plugged into the PSU

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/795045015

vanilla slimfast fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Nov 17, 2020

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Cool I went ahead and added it to my discord server list in case I ever get around to upgrading my system.

Which out of curiosity, is it kosher to post those specs and ask for minor upgrade recs or is there a different thread for that?

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Okay, final check before I click the buy button a few times.

Reminder: I'm helping my 16-year-old son build his own basic gaming PC for Christmas. His main interests are Minecraft and Terraria, although I expect him to do some 3D gaming once he has his own machine. 1080p resolution. Based on the advice given here, I already bought the RGB case because, frankly, he's going to love it. Anyone see any issues?

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($118.99 @ B&H)
Motherboard: MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($104.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($53.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 1650 SUPER 4 GB GAMING Twin Fan Video Card ($169.99 @ B&H)
Case: Corsair iCUE 465X RGB ATX Mid Tower Case ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA B5 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($78.98 @ Amazon)
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN725N USB 2.0 802.11a/b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter ($7.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $761.90
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-11-17 11:51 EST-0500

Edit: chose the fully modular PSU over a less-expensive partial modular so that we can do custom cabling if he wants to. I also intend to let him purchase any additional fans and lighting, etc.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

vanilla slimfast posted:

Here’s the online guide, but the manual included with the mobo covers it as well:
https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1038568/

The only tricky bit for me was having a friend w a windows machine run their bios file renaming utility for me, as I only had access to Macs and my windows VM was not booting. Once I had the correctly named file, I put it on a fat32 formatted flash drive, plugged it in the specific slot, pressed the flashback button, and then waited 5 mins for the light to stop blinking. That was it. I did not have any peripherals installed into the mobo, it was just the bare board plugged into the PSU

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/795045015

Sweet, thanks.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

vanilla slimfast posted:

I think you can get some that pull some power from the HDMI port - I know I've seen them for raspberry pi's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

TheMadMilkman posted:

Okay, final check before I click the buy button a few times.

Reminder: I'm helping my 16-year-old son build his own basic gaming PC for Christmas. His main interests are Minecraft and Terraria, although I expect him to do some 3D gaming once he has his own machine. 1080p resolution. Based on the advice given here, I already bought the RGB case because, frankly, he's going to love it. Anyone see any issues?

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($118.99 @ B&H)
Motherboard: MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($104.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($53.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 1650 SUPER 4 GB GAMING Twin Fan Video Card ($169.99 @ B&H)
Case: Corsair iCUE 465X RGB ATX Mid Tower Case ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA B5 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($78.98 @ Amazon)
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN725N USB 2.0 802.11a/b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter ($7.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $761.90
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-11-17 11:51 EST-0500

Edit: chose the fully modular PSU over a less-expensive partial modular so that we can do custom cabling if he wants to. I also intend to let him purchase any additional fans and lighting, etc.

The reviews for that wifi adapter are really bad, I would drop the CPU cooler, use the stock Wraith that comes with the Ryzen, and put that money towards something like this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0713RRZMB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1