Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

spunkshui posted:

https://youtu.be/Go5tLO6ipxw

😳 Im sorry I said HP was ok. The parts were good but they did something unholy to them.

ibuypower is the best
Cyberpower is next
Maingear
HP last imo despite having great parts

Origin has 24/7 tech support but it costs a ton so linus put them last

We dont know about Corsair build quality since they didnt answer the phone fast enough but they also didnt have a computer in the right price range for the show.

Corsair purchased Origin PC last year.

Yep, just never buy from Dell except for laptops and monitors. I still have "fond" memories of the lovely Inspiron laptops I had in HS and how often they poo poo the bed and we had to have a tech come over to kind of fix it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah this is why I'm going to end up going with a 3070 and a high refresh rate 1440p monitor for now, until a few years down the road when 4K monitors with a decent refresh rate aren't stupid expensive

This is what I did. I got a 3070 and an LG 27GL83A-B. needing a $1600 gpu to play in 4k would be fine if I was made of money

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Internet Explorer posted:

Interestingly enough, it's been a long time since I've had a drive failure cause any problems. Probably have ~60 TB of drives at home and no issues. The thing about our workstations is that there isn't going to be anything on them that is a pain to reinstall, or anything we'd lose. OneDrive has all of our misc stuff from various user folders, Google Photos / Google Drive has anything else that doesn't fall under that. Our NAS has anything gigantic that we don't want to have to pull back down.

I'll have to mull it over some more. Sure, 2 separate 2 TB drives sound gigantic now, but with game sizes growing the way they are, I could easily see us fast-forwarding 2-3 years and having a juggle installs and move stuff around. Not the end of the world, would just be nice if there was a cleaner solution.

Put steam's default library on the D: drive. SSDs are more reliable than HDDs but drive failures haven't gone away, no point in losing 4tb of data when if it happens.

Also, 60TB at home ?!?!

nollij
Aug 30, 2006

Wait, wait, wait...

When did this happen?!?

vanilla slimfast posted:

Seriously, given your specific requirements, your best option is to just get a NAS. The Synology models are a piece of cake to set up, easy to administer, and will work with windows file sharing as well as Mac (I use mine for both)

Texted my brother today asking about his NAS... Luck have it he pulled a Synology 411slim out of a bin today. He is gonna wipe the drives and bring it over next week. So, good news is i can try out the Synology ecosystem without having to make any investment. It sounds like I might also be able to setup a mirror from my Synology to his for offsite backup; but then I get worried about IoT/NAS ransomware if I open the NAS up to the outside world.

Anyway, I appreciate everyone’s help.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Some Goon posted:

Put steam's default library on the D: drive. SSDs are more reliable than HDDs but drive failures haven't gone away, no point in losing 4tb of data when if it happens.

Also, 60TB at home ?!?!

Yeah, that's what we do today with multiple drives. Still, once that D: drive fills up, on to using C: until you delete a few games. I'll continue to mull it over but maybe you all are right and it's not worth it.

Yeah, it's really not that hard with drive sizes the way they are these days.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Can't you just get a software front end that doesn't care where stuff is stored? That seems less fraught than stitching together two drives in the style of Frankenstein

E: soz 4 doxx IE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcWSrIiR1tY&t=87s

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Dec 3, 2020

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
Looking to expand beyond my 500gb drive, how are these puppies? Will it work on my PC?

these puppies

My speccy:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

i think that's an m2, you probably want a sata drive for an older mobo. Also the samsungs are very good, but more expensive than is warranted.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

sebmojo posted:

i think that's an m2, you probably want a sata drive for an older mobo. Also the samsungs are very good, but more expensive than is warranted.

got a recommendation?

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
I have a limited (10-day) window to build a PC this month, so I don't have time to mail a motherboard to the manufacturer to update the BIOS. Are there any motherboards that are definitely compatible with the Ryzen 5600x out of the box?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

got a recommendation?

Sorry, no. Go back a few pages? I think the WD SSDs are decent.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

got a recommendation?

Sebmojo was wrong, your motherboard has dual m.2 slots so you're good to go. They're right in that Samsung are generally overpriced for most people's needs though, the Western Digital sn550 is better value and equivalent performance.

Eugene V. Dubstep posted:

I have a limited (10-day) window to build a PC this month, so I don't have time to mail a motherboard to the manufacturer to update the BIOS. Are there any motherboards that are definitely compatible with the Ryzen 5600x out of the box?

No, but pretty much any motherboard you should be considering should have the BIOS FLASH feature whereby you can update the BIOS to Zen 3 compatibility with a USB stick. Check the mobo specifications or link it here if you're unsure.

Fozzie Bear posted:

Thanks for this, I ordered is and everything arrived, not planning on putting it together until christmas. one question, I've watched a few 'build a PC' youtube videos, and some of them put thermal paste, is this something I should be doing with my parts? I can pick some up, as I think my last tube is over 10 years old (I think I fixed my PS3 with it way way back when).

Yes you always need some sort of thermal paste between the CPU and the cooler but all coolers come with their own thermal paste so buying a separate tube isn't necessary. AFAIK the stock cooler with your 3600 has a thermal paste 'pad' preinstalled so you just need to remove the plastic film covering that before you install it.

Wrr posted:

but uh, like y'all said I might as well get the 5800 huh? Its got mores cores huh? A beefier badder bitch huh? And its the more expensive one so maybe it'll be easier to get too, huh?

Fortuitous! I don't know about easier to get, all of Zen 3 seems as rare as rocking horse poo poo right now. It does have two more cores so is better for productivity, but for purely gaming the 5600x is just as good.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Yeah for gaming the 5600x if you can get it for the $300 MSRP is the smarter buy.

The 5800x is objectively better, but not in ways that matter for gaming right now, amd it comes at a big markup.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Butterfly Valley posted:

Sebmojo was wrong, your motherboard has dual m.2 slots so you're good to go.

apologies for that! I should do some googling before pronouncing.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Dec 3, 2020

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

sebmojo posted:

apologies for that! I should do some googling before pronouncing.

It's cool, they started showing up around the Z170's on intel, but technically older systems can often use them with a PCI-E adapter card. Most older boards didn't have a bios that could boot them, however, so there was a weird period of bios hacks maybe being available for a few Z87/Z97 boards. I got a BIOS update for a Dell Optiplex 990 running a 2nd gen core i7-2600 that somehow added the functionality for booting off the PCI-E nvme drive, although it's unusual for a manufacturer to backport features like that.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I picked up one of the 1TB WD SN550 SSDs during Black Friday. It is fine for reading and short burst writes, but it really tanked when I tried copying over my Steam folder from my old S-ATA game SSD. Started with transfer speeds around 300 MB/s (probably limited by the old S-ATA drive) but after a minute or two it dropped to ~15 MB/s and stayed there.

Solid speeds copying back from it once I had replaced the other game drive, though. Just something to keep in mind.

Edit: I can't seem to replicate it anymore, so it must have been some temporary issue. Ignore this post.

Bofast fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Dec 4, 2020

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007
I've read that AMD chips don't do onboard graphics, in which case, what's the purpose of the HDMI port on the mobo? I've had a rare need to use the mobo graphics on my intel pc when display port doesn't play nice with a Linux build I occasionally use.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Rookoo posted:

I've read that AMD chips don't do onboard graphics, in which case, what's the purpose of the HDMI port on the mobo?
It's for their chips that do have graphics, basically any CPU with a G in the product name.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Butterfly Valley posted:

No, but pretty much any motherboard you should be considering should have the BIOS FLASH feature whereby you can update the BIOS to Zen 3 compatibility with a USB stick. Check the mobo specifications or link it here if you're unsure.

Okay, here goes:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler ($63.75 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard ($139.99 @ Best Buy)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($149.99 @ B&H)
Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($249.99 @ B&H)
Video Card: *PNY GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB UPRISING Video Card ($549.94 @ Office Depot)
Case: Fractal Design Define 7 Compact ATX Mid Tower Case ($108.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS 750 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($144.99 @ B&H)
Total: $1407.63 [editor's note: at least $1700 including the 5600x]
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria

The GPU is just the current lowest-price listing from a search that includes the 6800, 6800XT, 3060 Ti, 3070, and 3080.

Any glaring errors/suggestions for improvement here?

Eugene V. Dubstep fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Dec 3, 2020

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Rookoo posted:

I've read that AMD chips don't do onboard graphics, in which case, what's the purpose of the HDMI port on the mobo? I've had a rare need to use the mobo graphics on my intel pc when display port doesn't play nice with a Linux build I occasionally use.

I think in case you get an AMD APU which do have graphics built into the chip. I think they have a G in their model name.

Edit: F;B

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
So I've got an msi gaming edge b550 and a stupid big fuma 2 cooler. How the hell am I supposed to get my hands between the cooler heatsink to get the cpu power plug to its home?

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Plug in the cable first?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

That or needle nose pliers.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Munkaboo posted:

So I've got an msi gaming edge b550 and a stupid big fuma 2 cooler. How the hell am I supposed to get my hands between the cooler heatsink to get the cpu power plug to its home?

I used a spoon once.

Line up the cables then push it home with the silverware.

Taking out the mobo is safer.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

change my name posted:

Yep, just never buy from Dell except for laptops and monitors. I still have "fond" memories of the lovely Inspiron laptops I had in HS and how often they poo poo the bed and we had to have a tech come over to kind of fix it

dells optiplex line of desktops are rock solid and are my #1 go to for "need cheap pc" "htpc" "plex server" "cheap gaming computer for little brother" etc.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Yesterday Best Buy did some major drops and implemented some stuff to try and trick bots out of getting them. It seemed to work and a bunch of people in the drop Discord’s got stuff. The main stipulation was you had to select in store pick up, so a store within 250 miles of you had to be getting some product. It did seem to help overall and I managed to snag a 3090, which might be overkill but gently caress it, I wanted to build a mammoth of a gaming PC and now I’m halfway there. We’ll see if I can score a processor this week and get things moving to start working on the actual build by next week.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

The GPU is just the current lowest-price listing from a search that includes the 6800, 6800XT, 3060 Ti, 3070, and 3080.

Components look great but availability of the 5600x and all of those GPUs is limited, to say the least, so if you want to build this month you'll have to sit on the stock drops discord like everyone else

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

An extra fan for the front intake is a good idea, that case only comes with one.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
e: nm

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Butterfly Valley posted:

Components look great but availability of the 5600x and all of those GPUs is limited, to say the least, so if you want to build this month you'll have to sit on the stock drops discord like everyone else

Yep, that's what I'm doing.

Llamadeus posted:

An extra fan for the front intake is a good idea, that case only comes with one.

Thanks for the tip, I'll add one.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Was thinking about that super minimalist tower/bench configuration someone posted before, and I have to ask: Do open case/test bench rigs just get super dusty and dirty?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Bofast posted:

I picked up one of the 1TB WD SN550 SSDs during Black Friday. It is fine for reading and short burst writes, but it really tanked when I tried copying over my Steam folder from my old S-ATA game SSD. Started with transfer speeds around 300 MB/s (probably limited by the old S-ATA drive) but after a minute or two it dropped to ~15 MB/s and stayed there.

Solid speeds copying back from it once I had replaced the other game drive, though. Just something to keep in mind.

That's substantially lower than it was benched for, something is up here.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

change my name posted:

Was thinking about that super minimalist tower/bench configuration someone posted before, and I have to ask: Do open case/test bench rigs just get super dusty and dirty?

Fans love to find dust and then jam it all into your GPU's hard to reach places.

I'm not a fan of open setups because its asking for an accident of some kind like a drink spill.

If you want to save money do the open thing temporarily, then get a case later on.

You could mount it to a wall to keep it safe, but that seems like a ton of effort vs this box of filtered fans.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

modern decent cases have a filter, i have a cat, i pull the filter out, vacuum the filter, slide it back in - i do this like... quarterly and i've never had heat issues or really any schmutz in my case. tbh seems more of a reddit r\battlestations thing

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

bus hustler posted:

modern decent cases have a filter, i have a cat, i pull the filter out, vacuum the filter, slide it back in - i do this like... quarterly and i've never had heat issues or really any schmutz in my case. tbh seems more of a reddit r\battlestations thing

I was kind of surprised to read the 500a does not have removable filters and relies on the mesh front. My last case t (450D) also had this approach and my top AIO was totally clogged with dust when I took it apart to upgrade fans.

Their front metal mesh might work better but I suspect the good temps it gets are going to come at a cost.

Now both of our cases have magnetic removable filtered intakes.

Protip: If the top of your case is acting as exhaust you can probably remove the magnetic dust filter up there. Unless your computer is in a ultra dusty environment where dust will fall into it when it is off.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
I haven't built a PC in a long time and the one I'm currently typing on is a Lenovo I got for next to nothing at Costco and have been frustrated by since day one (no extra expansion slots, motherboard just basically won't support upgrades).

I am antsy about picking parts from multiple sites and hoping they show up at nearly the same time, given all the COVID-related supply issues.

Is it a terrible idea to get an iBUYPOWER system? I saw the writeup a few pages back that said they're the best (or nearly the best) of the pre-built bunch.

There's good deals and being able to have it show up and just work by Tuesday seems awfully nice. I miss the process of building a system, but at least with this it looks like it would be easy/possible to tinker and do upgrades to extend its life.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Geekboy posted:

I haven't built a PC in a long time and the one I'm currently typing on is a Lenovo I got for next to nothing at Costco and have been frustrated by since day one (no extra expansion slots, motherboard just basically won't support upgrades).

I am antsy about picking parts from multiple sites and hoping they show up at nearly the same time, given all the COVID-related supply issues.

Is it a terrible idea to get an iBUYPOWER system? I saw the writeup a few pages back that said they're the best (or nearly the best) of the pre-built bunch.

There's good deals and being able to have it show up and just work by Tuesday seems awfully nice. I miss the process of building a system, but at least with this it looks like it would be easy/possible to tinker and do upgrades to extend its life.

Not terrible at all.

I wouldn't consider it because I'm very picky when it comes to fans and cases but those could always be changed if you end up unhappy with with them anyway.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

There was never anything wrong with a prebuilt when things were competitive, but now that you basically can't get parts if you want a computer (and I have a 13 day off-from-work stretch after CP2077 launches, I know) they are honestly pretty strong if you can get and want modern parts.

I am the prebuilt defender, I feel like too many (not really this forum, but like anywhere on reddit) people still dont properly value time & piece of mind. I've been hobby building for 20 years now and run IT for a medical school and I somehow borked my motherboard just 2 weeks ago!

Reddit will tell you NEVER to get a prebuilt because they are all college kids eating ramen or whatever or just super nerds who need to feel superior.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

bus hustler posted:

There was never anything wrong with a prebuilt when things were competitive, but now that you basically can't get parts if you want a computer (and I have a 13 day off-from-work stretch after CP2077 launches, I know) they are honestly pretty strong if you can get and want modern parts.

I am the prebuilt defender, I feel like too many (not really this forum, but like anywhere on reddit) people still dont properly value time & piece of mind. I've been hobby building for 20 years now and run IT for a medical school and I somehow borked my motherboard just 2 weeks ago!

Reddit will tell you NEVER to get a prebuilt because they are all college kids eating ramen or whatever or just super nerds who need to feel superior.

For me its adult legos.

I have this Friday afternoon blocked off to get high as poo poo and toss an a M.2 games drive with a aftermarket heatsink, a USB 3.0 card, and this wonderful thing into my wifes rig.

90 degree adapter for her front usb 3.0 IO
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FN1KW81/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

bus hustler posted:

I'd agree with this. Building is more of a hobbyist activity than a requirement, these days. Especially at this time of year, and specifically this year with product availability, there are deals and discounts that price pre-built pcs at or below home-built, bespoke prices. The only real benefit of building yourself is getting the most performance per dollar for your specific needs, but if that's not important to you: :shrug:.