Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...

Fallom posted:

To be more specific than the other post, solid green indicates a failure. The light should blink for about 5 minutes and then turn off to indicate a successful BIOS flash.

Using another USB drive can help, and you have to make sure the BIOS file is named according to the instructions.

Yeah after trying like 3 different flash drives it turned out I was trying to install the bios meant the non-wifi version of the board :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Discomancer posted:

[list]
[*]Here's my dumb question: I realize that the 3060ti is basically unobtainable right now. I currently have a Radeon 7800 PCI-E card in my existing computer. Can I use that with this setup for a few months while I wait for a 3060? PCPartPicker doesn't flag any problems, but this card is so old I'm not sure their database even has this card's info, or if this will work in that motherboard. If so, I can pull the trigger on everything but the video card today.

It'll work fine

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

KingKapalone posted:

Since these are not PWM https://www.bestbuy.com/site/corsair-icue-sp120-rgb-pro-120mm-system-cabinet-fan-kit-with-rgb-lighting-black-white/6356250.p?skuId=6356250, how is the speed controlled? It has the hub which connects via USB to the mobo, can you not set a fan curve in iCUE?

PWM and 3pin fans can both have their fan speed controlled by a motherboard.

PWM fans are able to do a much wider range of speeds and much lower speeds.

The fans will come with two cables. One of them is the RGB cable you need to plug into the included 6 port RGB hub, and the other one will be the actual 3pin fan power cable.

Most people then plug the 3pin into the motherboard and control the speed that way. Or they get a 15$ fan speed hub and plug all the 3 pins into that (highly recommended if you want a ton of fans).

There is a way to control your actual fan speeds inside of corsair’s software and there are some advantages like being able to making case fans listen to your GPU temps

The commander pro.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/corsair-commander-pro-hardware-controller/6229603.p?skuId=6229603

Corsair’s newer water cooling units actually have a commander pro included.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/corsair-icue-h100i-elite-capellix-cpu-cooler-black/6422732.p?skuId=6422732

I’m actually controlling my case fans with an older model corsair AIO and a fan splitter but I don’t recommend it considering better solutions now exist.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ive been using this same tube of thermal paste for like 10 years.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Samadhi posted:

Update on the 5800X temperature issue:

I got my new MSI Unify motherboard (to fix an issue with the rear audio ports not working, which still isn't 100% working, loving Realtek) and installed that this weekend. I also installed 3 new Noctua NF-A14 PWM 140mm fans, two in the front top slots and one in the rear behind the Noctua NH-D15 CPU cooler. I left one of the Phantek 140mm fans in the front for intake, and one I moved to the top of the case for additional exhaust.

After installing everything and running Folding@Home, it seems to max at around 86° C, which is a little less than 7° C less than i was seeing before, and an average of 85.5° C. The cooling is working better, but I am pretty sure this 5800X just runs hot at max load.

What’s the temperature of the room?
Is it a room that gets warm overtime due to the computer?
What is your idle temperature?

Is your top exhaust fan shoved all the way back?
Is the computer in an open area where it has access to fresh air?

Something still seems a tiny bit warm here.

I like to try to keep a CPU out of the 80s.

tragic_ethos
Apr 10, 2007
Advertise here.
Grimey Drawer

spunkshui posted:

What’s the temperature of the room?
Is it a room that gets warm overtime due to the computer?
What is your idle temperature?

Is your top exhaust fan shoved all the way back?
Is the computer in an open area where it has access to fresh air?

Something still seems a tiny bit warm here.

I like to try to keep a CPU out of the 80s.

I max out at 85C if I run cinebench on a 5800x, compared to a 2700x that maxed at 70C in the same conditions. It runs hot.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

tragic_ethos posted:

I max out at 85C if I run cinebench on a 5800x, compared to a 2700x that maxed at 70C in the same conditions. It runs hot.

Cinebench is harder then F@H though. His system is fine but everything I'm mentioning might improve temps or explain them.

I guess its almost worth considering an 280/360 AIO when buying one if you want to load up them cores all day even at stock speeds.

spunkshui fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Dec 29, 2020

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

spunkshui posted:

PWM and 3pin fans can both have their fan speed controlled by a motherboard.

PWM fans are able to do a much wider range of speeds and much lower speeds.

The fans will come with two cables. One of them is the RGB cable you need to plug into the included 6 port RGB hub, and the other one will be the actual 3pin fan power cable.

Most people then plug the 3pin into the motherboard and control the speed that way. Or they get a 15$ fan speed hub and plug all the 3 pins into that (highly recommended if you want a ton of fans).

There is a way to control your actual fan speeds inside of corsair’s software and there are some advantages like being able to making case fans listen to your GPU temps

The commander pro.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/corsair-commander-pro-hardware-controller/6229603.p?skuId=6229603

Corsair’s newer water cooling units actually have a commander pro included.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/corsair-icue-h100i-elite-capellix-cpu-cooler-black/6422732.p?skuId=6422732

I’m actually controlling my case fans with an older model corsair AIO and a fan splitter but I don’t recommend it considering better solutions now exist.

Thanks. I noticed that the fans just come with the lighting node which doesn't allow for fan speed control through iCUE. This is dumb so I just went with the non RGB white Arctic P12 PWM fans instead.

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!

change my name posted:

The 3600 + 3060 ti is what I have and 1) yes, it's a great 1440p gaming experience (with DLSS on if you turn on ray tracing), 2) the stock cooler works really well but it's very loud, replace it if your PC is going to sit on your desk.

HalloKitty posted:

It'll work fine

Thanks for the feedback, I'll get started on this. The last time I put a computer together was the one I'm on now which was 7 or 8 years ago, so this will be fun.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

spunkshui posted:

Cinebench is harder then F@H though. His system is fine but everything I'm mentioning might improve temps or explain them.

I guess its almost worth considering an 280/360 AIO when buying one if you want to load up them cores all day even at stock speeds.

Yeah those temps are high and there's likely something up.

He should take a pic of the inside so we can see fan config, etc.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

sean10mm posted:

How many grams of thermal paste do you think you will have a use for?

i build about 3 PCs a year, its not going to spoil in the tube is it?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Is it common for companies to go really heavy on the pre-applied thermal paste? Both my Wraith Stealth and the Bequiet! cooler I upgraded to squished paste out the sides of the seal and went everywhere when installed

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Fauxtool posted:

Keep it capped up tight and it should last a long time, but 11g is a lot of paste.

change my name posted:

Is it common for companies to go really heavy on the pre-applied thermal paste? Both my Wraith Stealth and the Bequiet! cooler I upgraded to squished paste out the sides of the seal and went everywhere when installed

Not, in my experience, but having paste squishing out the sides isn't going to hurt anything (unless you're using an aftermarket conductive paste, of course).

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Some Goon posted:

Keep it capped up tight and it should last a long time, but 11g is a lot of paste.

Not, in my experience, but having paste squishing out the sides isn't going to hurt anything (unless you're using an aftermarket conductive paste, of course).

Also: dont use liquid metal.

If you must become obsessive compulsive about cooling then just go custom water.

Its probably safer lol.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Fauxtool posted:

Get the 7.8 gram tube I linked, that'll be good for about 10-ish applications so it'll last you the three years. I see on the smaller tube some 2019 reviews were accusing it of being a counterfeit version. But I've bought a lot of stuff for work from that "Outlet PC" store and they've always sent me the real deal. And again, it's more for the money than the 11 gram tube.

spunkshui posted:

Also: dont use liquid metal.

If you must become obsessive compulsive about cooling then just go custom water.

Its probably safer lol.

Not only is the liquid metal stuff messy and overkill and difficult to use but it will also disintegrate any aluminum you get it on (it will seep into an aluminum block and crumble the metal into powder). It is only meant copper and direct die application.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zero VGS posted:

Get the 7.8 gram tube I linked, that'll be good for about 10-ish applications so it'll last you the three years. I see on the smaller tube some 2019 reviews were accusing it of being a counterfeit version. But I've bought a lot of stuff for work from that "Outlet PC" store and they've always sent me the real deal. And again, it's more for the money than the 11 gram tube.

Not only is the liquid metal stuff messy and overkill and difficult to use but it will also disintegrate any aluminum you get it on (it will seep into an aluminum block and crumble the metal into powder). It is only meant copper and direct die application.

im super close to the amazon warehouse so it already arrived. Also isnt the 7.8 gram one aeronaut instead of kryo?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Going over 80C with a 5800X under heavy all core torture loads like Prime 95 small FFT or Cinebench is actually totally normal even with quality air cooling.

AMD came out and said you can expect these Zen3 chips to be pushing 90C unless you have a big AIO or something.

The 5800X is actually the worst case scenario of them all thermally because it draws up to 142W like the 5900X and 5950X (vs 88W for the 5600X), but all that power is going into a single CCX of 8 cores, which is only a tiny fraction of the surface area of the chip. So just getting the heat out of that tiny area is part of the problem as much as the absolute amount of heat involved.

If temperatures are a problem the easiest way to fix it is to lower the PPT in the BIOS from 142W to 128W. This limits the peak power draw of the CPU socket, which drops temps under max all core load by like 10C while affecting multicore benchmark performance (e.g. Cinebench) by like 1-2% and single core performance basically not at all

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Why pay heating bills if you can just run your 5900X?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Got the new PSU and GPU (3070) up an running.
So amazed what a massive leap forward it is from the 970.

Wish I could have afforded a 3080 but alas...

OH HOT TIP TIME!
I got a 8BitDo bluetooth controller (and it rules) but causes serious stuttering in games. If you turn off the rumble, no more stuttering!

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

FlamingLiberal posted:

Why pay heating bills if you can just run your 5900X?

Any halfway decent video card is radiating more heat than even a 5950X anyway.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Inzombiac posted:

OH HOT TIP TIME!
I got a 8BitDo bluetooth controller (and it rules) but causes serious stuttering in games. If you turn off the rumble, no more stuttering!

Try updating the firmware

Secx
Mar 1, 2003

Hippopotamus retardus
I've been building my own PCs for years, but this is the first time I've upgraded CPU and kept the same motherboard.

I had a 3700x that I replaced with a 5600x. The cooler is a CoolerMaster ML360R AIO. I unscrewed the two brackets from the retention mechanism, but the AIO pump wouldn't come off the CPU at all. I had to use a lot of force and when I did so, the 3700x came off the motherboard socket -- it was stuck to the AIO's coldplate. I had to use some force again to get the CPU off the AIO. The two were really stuck together. The motherboard lever that you use to lock the CPU into the socket was still in the locked position.

I did a quick visual inspection of the 3700x and all the pins looked OK. Cleaned the AIO's coldplate, applied thermalpaste to the 5600x and new system thankfully booted (after a bios update).

Anyways, question: is this normal? Was I supposed to do this differently? The thermal paste that I used was a tube that came with the CoolerMaster AIO.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Secx posted:

I've been building my own PCs for years, but this is the first time I've upgraded CPU and kept the same motherboard.

I had a 3700x that I replaced with a 5600x. The cooler is a CoolerMaster ML360R AIO. I unscrewed the two brackets from the retention mechanism, but the AIO pump wouldn't come off the CPU at all. I had to use a lot of force and when I did so, the 3700x came off the motherboard socket -- it was stuck to the AIO's coldplate. I had to use some force again to get the CPU off the AIO. The two were really stuck together. The motherboard lever that you use to lock the CPU into the socket was still in the locked position.

I did a quick visual inspection of the 3700x and all the pins looked OK. Cleaned the AIO's coldplate, applied thermalpaste to the 5600x and new system thankfully booted (after a bios update).

Anyways, question: is this normal? Was I supposed to do this differently? The thermal paste that I used was a tube that came with the CoolerMaster AIO.

That would not be normal.

Did you just straight yank up? Generally, if there’s clearance, doing a wiggle/twist back and forth is what you do to loosen paste rather than yank. You could have even used like a plastic spudger to separate.

If the future, I’d probably release the CPU lock and take the CPU with the AIO and try to carefully separate it there. No sense risking the board and CPU if it’s really stuck.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Secx posted:

beaten but yeah when you have a ZIF socket you want to wiggle/twist the AIO block before attempting to lift it. Don't wrench it, but if it doesn't come easily, try to find a way to introduce air between the heat spreader and coldplate and then repeat the wiggle/twist. Spudger works good for this.

To the above poster, generally the lever for the socket lock is not accessible when you have a cooler sitting on it. I hope that AMD's next socket is an LGA with the pins on the board so you can avoid this issue.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Secx posted:

Normal no, but it happens. You're supposed to twist the cooler back and forth to loosen it rather than yanking straight up, and I've read some people recommending running the PC for a while before powering down and uninstalling the cooler, with the idea that the residual heat will have loosened the seal a bit.

Every Man Jack
Jan 14, 2010
Pillbug
I'm looking to build my first PC and really could use some Goon advice.

What country are you in? Canada
What are you using the system for? Gaming primarily and the occasional e-learning module creation using Articulate 360 which isn't too demanding.
What's your budget? I'm looking to spend $2000-2500 on the actual PC and up to another $500 or so on a monitor.
How fancy do you want your graphics I'm currently gaming on an old potato of a laptop, so any new build will be a huge improvement and allow me to work through my Steam backlog of games I can't handle currently. I'd like to be able to play games like Cyberpunk, Far Cry 6, and Outriders on pretty high settings.

Here's what I've mocked up so far on PCPartPicker:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Corsair iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT 75 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($129.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Motherboard: MSI MPG B550 GAMING EDGE WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard ($259.00 @ Newegg Canada)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($189.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Crucial P1 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($134.75 @ Vuugo)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB XC3 ULTRA GAMING Video Card
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($94.99 @ Canada Computers)
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($139.99 @ Best Buy Canada)
Total: $948.71
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-12-29 18:28 EST-0500

I'm not in a rush, so can sit for a few months for GPU/processor availability if the thread thinks that's worth it. Ideally, I'd like to get a few years out of this rig, so having the ability to make some incremental upgrades rather than a full rebuild later would be nice.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I’m trying to troubleshoot why my PC is crashing upon reaching load and while I am not seeing anything wrong with the VGA cables/connectors going to the GPU, I wanted to know if it mattered which end on the cable is going into the PSU or the GPU. These cables are 8 pin on one end, and 6+2 on another. The PSU manual does not really specify if this matters and the connectors aren’t labeled differently. I previously had the 8 pin end into the GPU and the 6+2 into the PSU.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

I’m trying to troubleshoot why my PC is crashing upon reaching load and while I am not seeing anything wrong with the VGA cables/connectors going to the GPU, I wanted to know if it mattered which end on the cable is going into the PSU or the GPU. These cables are 8 pin on one end, and 6+2 on another. The PSU manual does not really specify if this matters and the connectors aren’t labeled differently. I previously had the 8 pin end into the GPU and the 6+2 into the PSU.

I can’t say I know if it matters or not, but 6+2 goes GPU side and 8 goes PSU side.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

I can’t say I know if it matters or not, but 6+2 goes GPU side and 8 goes PSU side.
Ok I’m going to swap them and see if that fixes it.

I’ve ruled out the RAM and I don’t believe that overheating is the issue as the GPU temp was at around 65c as the crash occurred which is not high.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

FlamingLiberal posted:

Generally the 8 pin end goes into the PSU, and the 6+2 is so you can plug in either 6 or 8 pins of the cable into the GPU, because sometimes the GPU only needs 75W extra power vs 125W. Are you daisy-chaining your GPU power cable? (does it need 8 pins and 6 pins or 8 and 8, and you're running it off of one 8 pin cable with 2 power plugs? don't do this, it's bad)

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

orange juche posted:

Generally the 8 pin end goes into the PSU, and the 6+2 is so you can plug in either 6 or 8 pins of the cable into the GPU, because sometimes the GPU only needs 75W extra power vs 125W. Are you daisy-chaining your GPU power cable? (does it need 8 pins and 6 pins or 8 and 8, and you're running it off of one 8 pin cable with 2 power plugs? don't do this, it's bad)
I am running two separate 8 pin cables to it

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

FlamingLiberal posted:

I am running two separate 8 pin cables to it

How old is the PC? Brand new?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

orange juche posted:

How old is the PC? Brand new?
Yes I just built it on Saturday

I changed out the cables and turned the connectors around and it’s still crashing maybe 5 minutes into a game

Something is bad but I’m not sure what it is yet. I did a memory check last night and that came up clean.

It just seems like as soon as the GPU hits full load it crashes and restarts my PC.

Is this more likely to be a GPU issue or PSU? The PSU tested fine before I built the unit.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yes I just built it on Saturday

I changed out the cables and turned the connectors around and it’s still crashing maybe 5 minutes into a game

Something is bad but I’m not sure what it is yet. I did a memory check last night and that came up clean.

It just seems like as soon as the GPU hits full load it crashes and restarts my PC.

Is this more likely to be a GPU issue or PSU? The PSU tested fine before I built the unit.

What GPU?

Some of the 3080s were having this problem at launch. It seemed to be a combo of bad drivers and too high clock speed from factory.

I’d DDU and reinstall the drivers. I’d reseat PCI slot just in case. As a last resort I’d slightly under volt the card. Under volting was the most common fix.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

What GPU?

Some of the 3080s were having this problem at launch. It seemed to be a combo of bad drivers and too high clock speed from factory.

I’d DDU and reinstall the drivers. I’d reseat PCI slot just in case. As a last resort I’d slightly under volt the card. Under volting was the most common fix.
This is an Aorus Gigabyte 3070. I'll try that suggestion with the drivers to see if that does anything.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

For some reason after using the DDU I can’t connect to the Internet with my Wifi adapter. I’m guessing it removed the driver for that or something, even if I can see the networks. This is a huge pain in the rear end because now I have to haul my PC close enough to an Ethernet cable, along with a monitor.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

For some reason after using the DDU I can’t connect to the Internet with my Wifi adapter. I’m guessing it removed the driver for that or something, even if I can see the networks. This is a huge pain in the rear end because now I have to haul my PC close enough to an Ethernet cable, along with a monitor.

Are you still in safe mode? That’ll disable your WiFi adapter

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Are you still in safe mode? That’ll disable your WiFi adapter
No I’m in normal mode

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Uninstalled/reinstalled the drivers and it had no real effect. Was having some stuttering while running a three year old game as a test before it just gave out completely.

On top of this issue I’m also having the second M2 drive going in and out of being detected by the PC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turds in magma
Sep 17, 2007
can i get a transform out of here?
I've been squeaking by on the same system for ~8 years (!) now with only a few upgrades along the way. At the moment I have
- Ivy Bridge i7 3770K overlocked to 4.43 GHz
- 16 GB of DDR3
- Samsung 850 GVO 500 GB
- Asus P8Z77V - LK motherboard (has a PCI-E 3.0 bus)
- ASUS GTX 970 (4GB)

I've honestly never really run into any problems but I'd like to run Cyberpunk at some point with reasonably high settings. I'd also like to get a bigger set of monitors and run at higher resolutions.

Can I get away with just a graphics card upgrade to get ~5 more years out of this? Or should I just build a new system? Is the PCI-E 3.0 really going to be a limiting factor? Money isn't a constraint but I'm not willing to burn cash for marginal improvements.