Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Are there any decent motherboards with two usb-c ports?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dial M for MURDER
Sep 22, 2008

bus hustler posted:

1600AF (YD1600BBAFBOX) for $142 new or 3600 for $199 new yeah, or slightly cheaper used, I see maybe a 1600AF for 125ish. The 1600AF is basically zen+ 2600. It's still a great chip, depends if you plan to upgrade the GPU or are more concerned with saving a few bucks now.

Hey it took me a bit to recheck the thread, but I just wanted to say thanks for the response. I think I'll run with a a 3600 and then go for a GPU in the future.
Thanks for the help

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Seeing a lot of folks mention the 3600, is the 3600x just totally unavailable these days? I was lucky to snag one in December but would have gotten a 5600x if I could have at the time.

Been very happy with it but I also don't do any overclocking, which it is supposed to be kinda lovely at apparently

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Ruggan posted:

Most current mobos have 1 USB-C port in the I/O on the back but also have a header for another so you can hook up a top/front USB-C if your case supports it. The NZXT H510 is one of the cheaper cases ($60-70) that has one, but there's plenty out there. You can also get a 5.25" front plate or PCI bracket that can plug in to the header if you have a case that doesn't support it natively.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
A couple months ago I asked a few questions about rebuilding my computer, and most of the advice was to hold out for parts that were and remain out of stock (5600X, etc.). I figured, whatever, I'll wait.

Well, my computer started crashing a whole bunch in the last few days, so I'm no longer waiting. Quoting my original post asking for advice, with some edits as a couple things have changed. Most importantly, I'm looking to buy this tomorrow, so it has to be poo poo that's in stock.

theshim posted:

Alright, I think it's time to rebuild a bunch of my system. The oldest part by far at this point is the motherboard, so a lot of it will have to be from scratch. I live in the US and primarily use the system for gaming and occasional streaming. Looking to spend around $800-$1000 USD on this. A few questions:

Case: Is it worthwhile to pick up a new case? I've had basically no issues getting everything into this mATX case in the past (some random ASUS one from like eleven years ago), so I'd rather not spend on components I don't need, but if I want to replace the power supply as well it might make sense to just redo everything from scratch.
CPU: I'm still running my old i5 4570 from seven years ago. At around $250-$400 range for the CPU, what processor - and by extension, motherboard - should I be looking at?
Motherboard: See above.
Cooler: The old Hyper 212 kicked rear end for many years, I'd like another one that keeps my system running drat near silent.
RAM: Gonna need to upgrade this as well from my old DDR3, probably looking to go from my current 8GB to 16GB or even 32GB - is there a gold standard buy here?
SSD: I have an 850 EVO 1TB SSD that I picked up a couple years ago, so not looking to replace that.
GPU: My GTX 1060 has plenty of life left in it for now, so not planning on replacing that either.
Thanks in advance!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

theshim posted:

A couple months ago I asked a few questions about rebuilding my computer, and most of the advice was to hold out for parts that were and remain out of stock (5600X, etc.). I figured, whatever, I'll wait.

Well, my computer started crashing a whole bunch in the last few days, so I'm no longer waiting. Quoting my original post asking for advice, with some edits as a couple things have changed. Most importantly, I'm looking to buy this tomorrow, so it has to be poo poo that's in stock.

Thanks in advance!

This is a good starting point. If you can stretch your budget I'd get a Meshify C case and the WD 1tb SSD and a Noctua u14s cooler.

nitsuga posted:

Unless you're dead set on Intel, I'd encourage you to give a 3600 and B450/B550 motherboard some consideration. A 10600K is a good CPU, but you'd save a decent chunk going with the 3600 and not really lose any significant amount of gaming performance (and meanwhile gain some multi-threaded performance IIRC). I wouldn't opt for any earlier generations of Intel if you're building new, as most lack hyperthreading.

Here's a rough build:
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($194.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI B550M PRO-VDH WIFI Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($109.99 @ Walmart)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($76.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($53.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic CORE GM 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($80.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $516.94
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-01-16 15:50 EST-0500

The PSU would probably work with an equivalent Intel build, and so would most 550W+ gold-rated EVGA, Corsair, and BeQuiet! PSUs. Picking one out is a matter of figuring out your wattage needs and finding one from one of the big four (SeaSonic, EVGA, Corsair, BeQuiet!) in stock really.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
I have an msi gaming edge b550 and just updated the latest chipset drivers. For some reason I plugged my a7iii into one of the usb 3.2 ports with a usb 3 cable and windows is telling me it isn't connected to a usb 3 port. No idea what I'm doing wrong. Even checked the drivers for the usb 3.0 root hub device in device manager and it had no updates.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Am I missing something?

When I try to mount the motherboard (MSI b550) into my Fractal Define 7 case, the mounting screws won't go all the way down. They tighten, but there's plenty of space left.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Alright, update to my previous post:

I am in the US, St Louis more specifically, so I have access to a Microcenter.

I will use the PC for gaming primarily, but may do some music things as well, so having the option to add RAM might be nice, but not necessary.

My budget is 1200 but if it strays into 1300 territory that's fine, too.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Saxophone posted:

Alright, update to my previous post:

I am in the US, St Louis more specifically, so I have access to a Microcenter.

My budget is 1200 but if it strays into 1300 territory that's fine, too.

A quick, no compromises build. It prices in the $20 discount you'll get from buying the motherboard and the processor together (and I made sure that motherboard is in stock at our store, what up STL buddy). I sort of guessed at the price of a 3070, since you'll probably have to settle for whatever partner card you can get your hands on.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor ($300.00)
Motherboard: ASRock B550 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($115.00)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($78.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($104.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB Founders Edition Video Card ($550.00)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($134.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1383.94
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-01-17 09:37 EST-0500

This busts your budget by a bit but makes basically no compromises. It will do great on 1440p gaming for a bit, outside of games that are going to be used for benchmarks for years to come - looking at Cyberpunk. You can save money by going to a 3600 processor - also in stock at Microcenter - or by dropping to a 3060 Ti series card. The former won't cause much pain, actually; it's still a great processor and will remain so for non-CPU bound applications.

Sorting your monitor situation may help make that choice. If you're attached to a 4K TV right now, know that even the 3070 may have some problems pushing that many pixels. When you swap to a dedicated gaming monitor, if you're going for 1080 gaming, the 3060 card will do you just fine. If you want 1440 and ultra settings, you'll want the 3070. If you want 1440 and are okay with dropping some settings down and maybe hovering closer to 60 FPS, the 3060 will get the job done. Strictly speaking, the 3060 Ti is better bang for buck, but "1440 max out everything" is more achievable with the 3070, and the price to performance ratio isn't radically out of whack.

You may be tempted to save money by dropping to a lower quality PSU. Resist this urge. The PSU is the only part where, if it goes wonky, can take everything else with it. You can drop to a lower wattage (and probably should if you get the 3060), but stick to A tier PSUs. Obviously you can also save some money by going to a smaller solid state drive. Only you know if that's acceptable.

EDIT: I should say that I'm not super knowledgable about stuff like the motherboard, but this will at least (hopefully) get some gears turning and conversation started.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jan 17, 2021

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Ruggan posted:

like 2 in the back or 1 in the back and 1 to a front panel connector.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I'm looking at upgrading and will be passing on my current PC to my spouse (who's using my previous one). I currently have an i5-6600/16GB/1060 6GB and for the moment I'll be keeping the 1060 for the new system until I can get my grubby mitts onto a 3060 (Don't want to spend more than $400 on a video card).

I'm probably going to stick with 1080p gaming as I don't really see much appeal to going all the way to 4k, and I'd like something that would be in the same size or preferably smaller case as what my current system is in.

I'd like at least 1.5TB of total storage (I have 3 Evo 860 500GBs in my current system) but I am quite fine with multiple drives if that's cheaper. I'd prefer for everything to come from the same source if possible to reduce the packages received. Without the video card I'd like to spend no more than $800 (not including any OS)

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Most current mobos have 1 USB-C port in the I/O on the back but also have a header for another so you can hook up a top/front USB-C if your case supports it. The NZXT H510 is one of the cheaper cases ($60-70) that has one, but there's plenty out there. You can also get a 5.25" front plate or PCI bracket that can plug in to the header if you have a case that doesn't support it natively.

Or just get a PCI USB-C board.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I've got a friend of a friend asking me for recommendations for a build. His main use case is general office software along with light gaming: mainly card games like hearthstone and slay the spire, fall guys, and overcooked 2 were all mentioned.

I asked him about monitors and it seems he's interested in a 1440p 27" monitor for general productivity purposes. From looking, most cheaper 60hz 1440p 27" screens all look various shades of bad at around £200, whereas £290 gets you a pretty decent Acer 144hz model. His overall budget is £800.

Would a Ryzen 5 3400G be sufficient to run a monitor like that? I'd hope it would be fine for general browsing and office use, but I don't know if it would be too underpowered to run some of the more taxing 3D games mentioned at acceptable framerates. He wouldn't be expecting it to hit 144fps but they'd still need to run at something tolerable.

Or would he be better off getting a 24" 1080p monitor? Trouble is I've already shown him a picture of my setup and he liked the size of my monitor, and with his budget I think a discrete GPU is basically impossible without seriously hamstringing the rest of the build.

Edit: I found a YouTube video of someone running various games on a 1440p monitor with a 3400G and it was still getting ~100fps in CS:GO, ~40 in GTA V, ~50 in Fortnite etc so I assume it'll be totally fine for his use case, and the 1440p 144hz monitor will make his general productivity that much better so I reckon it's worth it for him.

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jan 17, 2021

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

PirateBob posted:

Am I missing something?

When I try to mount the motherboard (MSI b550) into my Fractal Define 7 case, the mounting screws won't go all the way down. They tighten, but there's plenty of space left.

You’re probably using the wrong screws. I did the exact same thing the first time I tried to mount my motherboard in my meshify C case. The mobo mounting screws are pretty small compared to most of the others

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

vanilla slimfast posted:

You’re probably using the wrong screws. I did the exact same thing the first time I tried to mount my motherboard in my meshify C case. The mobo mounting screws are pretty small compared to most of the others

Oh. Hm. I'm kinda screwed then. They wouldn't come out again. So I screwed them in as far as they would go instead. They seem to be holding the motherboard more or less in place, *shrug*...

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
My new PC is *totally quiet*. I can't even hear it running (light use).

The Scythe Mugen 5 Rev. B seems like an *awesome* cooler.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

PirateBob posted:

Oh. Hm. I'm kinda screwed then. They wouldn't come out again. So I screwed them in as far as they would go instead. They seem to be holding the motherboard more or less in place, *shrug*...

this seems bad

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

^^ yeah I agree

PirateBob posted:

Am I missing something?

Does the case have stand offs?

Try different screws?

They should def go all the way down.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Mu Zeta posted:

This is a good starting point. If you can stretch your budget I'd get a Meshify C case and the WD 1tb SSD and a Noctua u14s cooler.
My budget has gone up by a couple hundred since then. Is it worth considering something like a 10700?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

PirateBob posted:

This is not a good plan.

The wiggle room is likely to cause flex on your board.

Or the extra space could cause the board to touch metal causing a short, and killing it.

If you can’t get them out, you’re probably using the wrong screw driver.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

PirateBob posted:

This doesn't sound good

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

theshim posted:

My budget has gone up by a couple hundred since then. Is it worth considering something like a 10700?

You said you're buying tomorrow so it has to be something 'in stock', do you mean online or at a microcenter or what? The 5600x is the best overall value processor at the moment and creams anything in a similar price range from Intel (including even the 10900 in some games, let alone the 10700), but is obviously in high demand although there's been a few goons talking about stock starting to be available locally to them without having to camp out or whatever.

Your GPU would become the bottleneck at this point though, but you'd be setting yourself up with an excellent processor to match with a better GPU a year or two down the line whenever you upgrade.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Boxman posted:

A quick, no compromises build. It prices in the $20 discount you'll get from buying the motherboard and the processor together (and I made sure that motherboard is in stock at our store, what up STL buddy). I sort of guessed at the price of a 3070, since you'll probably have to settle for whatever partner card you can get your hands on.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor ($300.00)
Motherboard: ASRock B550 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($115.00)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($78.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($104.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB Founders Edition Video Card ($550.00)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($134.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1383.94
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-01-17 09:37 EST-0500

This busts your budget by a bit but makes basically no compromises. It will do great on 1440p gaming for a bit, outside of games that are going to be used for benchmarks for years to come - looking at Cyberpunk. You can save money by going to a 3600 processor - also in stock at Microcenter - or by dropping to a 3060 Ti series card. The former won't cause much pain, actually; it's still a great processor and will remain so for non-CPU bound applications.

Sorting your monitor situation may help make that choice. If you're attached to a 4K TV right now, know that even the 3070 may have some problems pushing that many pixels. When you swap to a dedicated gaming monitor, if you're going for 1080 gaming, the 3060 card will do you just fine. If you want 1440 and ultra settings, you'll want the 3070. If you want 1440 and are okay with dropping some settings down and maybe hovering closer to 60 FPS, the 3060 will get the job done. Strictly speaking, the 3060 Ti is better bang for buck, but "1440 max out everything" is more achievable with the 3070, and the price to performance ratio isn't radically out of whack.

You may be tempted to save money by dropping to a lower quality PSU. Resist this urge. The PSU is the only part where, if it goes wonky, can take everything else with it. You can drop to a lower wattage (and probably should if you get the 3060), but stick to A tier PSUs. Obviously you can also save some money by going to a smaller solid state drive. Only you know if that's acceptable.

EDIT: I should say that I'm not super knowledgable about stuff like the motherboard, but this will at least (hopefully) get some gears turning and conversation started.

Thank you so much. Yeah I think for $150 less, the 3060 Ti sounds very good and puts me right back in my budget. Honestly, graphics aren't -super- important to me as long as things run smoothly, but it'd be fun to crank some things here and there. Does the motherboard support more memory? I might fiddle around with music things and I'm told more RAM is good, so in the future it might be cool if I could install another 32. The only other thing is I'd like to make sure I have a good amount of USB3 jacks? Probably gonna plug an electric piano or an EWI into it some point. Not huge deals either way, though.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Saxophone posted:

Thank you so much. Yeah I think for $150 less, the 3060 Ti sounds very good and puts me right back in my budget. Honestly, graphics aren't -super- important to me as long as things run smoothly, but it'd be fun to crank some things here and there. Does the motherboard support more memory? I might fiddle around with music things and I'm told more RAM is good, so in the future it might be cool if I could install another 32. The only other thing is I'd like to make sure I have a good amount of USB3 jacks? Probably gonna plug an electric piano or an EWI into it some point. Not huge deals either way, though.

Your mobo has 4 slots for RAM yes but sticking more in later can cause problems with them not running at the advertised speeds. Kits are tested to work together, but won't necessarily play nice with other sticks even if it's the same manufacturer. 32GB of decent RAM can be had in the US for ~$120 (or under during sales) so honestly if you think you need it with your audio work I'd just get it now.

Re: USB 3, it has 5 USB 3.2 Type A ports and 1 Type C port. If you want more type C there's ways around that (or adapters) but 1 is basically all you'll get on nearly every motherboard there is.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

dialhforhero posted:

Thanks. I appreciate your feedback and response.

I started building computers in the early 2000s and remembered certain brands as being high quality/tier so I always stuck with ASUS/Corsair for a majority of components. Is this less true today or is it really just a brand name recognition markup now?

I am 12 years out of the game if you haven’t noticed by my current build.

There's still some markup, and it's not always worth it, but sometimes it is. For instance with motherboards it's almost always priced like $ASRock < $$Gigabyte, MSI < $$$ASUS, EVGA and that's definitely an area where you can save some cash going for the slightly less deluxe models. On the other hand, PSUs I hold hold a firm line that I won't get a cheap model, especially not for a new build. I can do a ThermalTake for a budget build, but that's about as low as I dare go.

But really, it's a matter of reading reviews for what you're interested in. If a less expensive offering has the features you're looking for and is rated decently, there's no harm in going outside of what you know. Personally, I went with the best I could find in a price range, and I'm glad I did. The more premium components certainly are nicer (my MSI 1650 Super, Noctua U9S, and SeaSonic PSU for example), but I don't mind the money I saved with the Gigabyte B450i and WD SN550 drive over some of the more expensive offerings out there.

So yeah, don't hesitate to put a build together on PCPartPicker.com and ask questions. Spend an afternoon nerding out on reviews, and you might be surprised by how much you learn.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Butterfly Valley posted:

You said you're buying tomorrow so it has to be something 'in stock', do you mean online or at a microcenter or what? The 5600x is the best overall value processor at the moment and creams anything in a similar price range from Intel (including even the 10900 in some games, let alone the 10700), but is obviously in high demand although there's been a few goons talking about stock starting to be available locally to them without having to camp out or whatever.

Your GPU would become the bottleneck at this point though, but you'd be setting yourself up with an excellent processor to match with a better GPU a year or two down the line whenever you upgrade.
Buying online. The 5600x is basically impossible to find right now and I don't have the time to wait around for it, and nowhere local to get it. So I'm asking as far as whatever's available now, what's the best processor in the $250-$400 range (and what motherboard to go with it)?

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Saxophone posted:

Pretty much all motherboards that aren't aiming for tiny form factor (and you'll know if you're getting one of those) have four slots for RAM. This chipset supports up to 128GB, so plenty of room for expansion there.

In terms of USB, this has 6 rear USB 3.2 jacks; 2 of which are gen 2, one of which of those are USB-C (the naming committee for the USB group are first against the wall). There's also a USB 3 header on the board itself to wire up a couple more USB 3 jacks. I think these are all pretty average amounts. If you need more rear expansion, you can get a PCI card (although you'll have to make sure you have the clearance for it after installing a video card). Plenty of motherboards do have more headers, too, if you want to look for it. The "problem" is that Microcenter's website isn't great for searching by those specific motherboard features, and to be sorta honest, I'm too lazy to cross reference PC Part Picker with Microcenter's stock. That being said, you may also have luck just walking in and asking for a recommendation based on your criteria. They're not goons (probably), but I'm pretty sure the consensus around these parts is that all the major manufacturers are generally fine; the only way to really make the wrong motherboard choice is to get one whose features don't align with your wants/needs.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

theshim posted:

Buying online. The 5600x is basically impossible to find right now and I don't have the time to wait around for it, and nowhere local to get it. So I'm asking as far as whatever's available now, what's the best processor in the $250-$400 range (and what motherboard to go with it)?

I7-10700K is pushing the boundaries of your budget, but it's in stock, overclocks to hell, and is good. You can even re-use your Hyper 212 if you really want! (Same size mounting points on new socket LGA1200.) Just clean the contact surface of the heatsink really well with isopropyl alcohol and toss a tube of Arctic Silver 5 into your order if you need thermal compound. I think you said it was pretty old though, so I'd consider replacing it (or the fan(s) at least.)

Motherboard has always been whatever to me. Know of a brand that hasn't hosed you yet? Is correct for your CPU (in this case - LGA1200, z490 chipset)? Has all the ports you need? Fits in your case? Probably a good choice!

enojy fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jan 17, 2021

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Motherboards are mostly about QOL features now.

There are dud models so you should always research. But most stuff is fine.

Personally since I troubleshoot for work, I never want to buy a board without a error code LCD again. That poo poo is a godsend.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Boxman posted:

Pretty much all motherboards that aren't aiming for tiny form factor (and you'll know if you're getting one of those) have four slots for RAM. This chipset supports up to 128GB, so plenty of room for expansion there.

In terms of USB, this has 6 rear USB 3.2 jacks; 2 of which are gen 2, one of which of those are USB-C (the naming committee for the USB group are first against the wall). There's also a USB 3 header on the board itself to wire up a couple more USB 3 jacks. I think these are all pretty average amounts. If you need more rear expansion, you can get a PCI card (although you'll have to make sure you have the clearance for it after installing a video card). Plenty of motherboards do have more headers, too, if you want to look for it. The "problem" is that Microcenter's website isn't great for searching by those specific motherboard features, and to be sorta honest, I'm too lazy to cross reference PC Part Picker with Microcenter's stock. That being said, you may also have luck just walking in and asking for a recommendation based on your criteria. They're not goons (probably), but I'm pretty sure the consensus around these parts is that all the major manufacturers are generally fine; the only way to really make the wrong motherboard choice is to get one whose features don't align with your wants/needs.

Fair point. I'm honestly not super worried about it. Sounds like a standard one will do just fine for what I want it to do.

So uh, here's the really fun part. It looks like most of this stuff is out of stock everywhere. How does one go about tracking it all down and getting ahold of it? I legit have not built a PC in like 7-8 years and at the time you could just make a microcenter run and be good.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

spunkshui posted:

^^ yeah I agree

Does the case have stand offs?

Try different screws?

They should def go all the way down.

Yes it has standoffs.

I used screws that I identified as "mounting screws" in the Define 7 User Guide. They also listed another bag as mounting screws though. Without saying which ones to use.

After the first big one didn't go all the way in (and wouldn't come out again either - sounded like the standoff would have to be pulled out along with it if I'd really tried), I tried one of the smaller screws a different place and it didn't seem to fit.

What do you guys suggest I do now then? There are 9 of them screwed in and I don't think any of them will be easy to get out...

theshim
May 1, 2012

enojy posted:

I7-10700K is pushing the boundaries of your budget, but it's in stock, overclocks to hell, and is good. You can even re-use your Hyper 212 if you really want! (Same size mounting points on new socket LGA1200.) Just clean the contact surface of the heatsink really well with isopropyl alcohol and toss a tube of Arctic Silver 5 into your order if you need thermal compound. I think you said it was pretty old though, so I'd consider replacing it (or the fan(s) at least.)

Motherboard has always been whatever to me. Know of a brand that hasn't hosed you yet? Is correct for your CPU (in this case - LGA1200, z490 chipset)? Has all the ports you need? Fits in your case? Probably a good choice!
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/v6DWPV

How's this look? There's a combo on the CPU and motherboard on Newegg so it's like another $25 off. Pushes up against the top of what I'm paying without going over and all the parts seem fine to me. Can you guys just give it a quick once-over and let me know if anything stands out/should be replaced before I pull this trigger?

Thanks, all!

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

theshim posted:

How's this look? There's a combo on the CPU and motherboard on Newegg so it's like another $25 off. Pushes up against the top of what I'm paying without going over and all the parts seem fine to me. Can you guys just give it a quick once-over and let me know if anything stands out/should be replaced before I pull this trigger?

Thanks, all!

If you're interested in overclocking, you could up your CPU cooler game a bit. The 212 is OK, but for ~$60 you get into a completely different league of coolers. A 10700K is a hungry CPU, so a little more cooling power isn't a terrible idea overclocking or not.

Here are a couple recommendations:
https://www.amazon.com/quiet-BK007-Elegant-Surface-Technology/dp/B087VL2Z21/?tag=li-org-main-20
https://www.amazon.com/Scythe-120mm-Cooler-LGA1151-Towers/dp/B07RFNG89S/?tag=li-org-main-20

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

PirateBob posted:

Yes it has standoffs.

I used screws that I identified as "mounting screws" in the Define 7 User Guide. They also listed another bag as mounting screws though. Without saying which ones to use.

After the first big one didn't go all the way in (and wouldn't come out again either - sounded like the standoff would have to be pulled out along with it if I'd really tried), I tried one of the smaller screws a different place and it didn't seem to fit.

What do you guys suggest I do now then? There are 9 of them screwed in and I don't think any of them will be easy to get out...

If the standoff comes out that's fine. You can grip the standoff with a pair of pliers to separate.

If the standoffs start coming, just do each screw half at a time to avoid flexing the board too much.

I can not stress enough that leaving it the way it is is a very bad idea.

Edit: once you get them separated, attempt to put the screws in to the standoffs without the board. This ensures you have the correct screws.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

theshim posted:

Thanks, all!

I don't see anything wrong there. 750W is plenty power for most use cases (unless you were going ham on the video card.) You could probably get away with a 2x 8GB RAM kit to cut a little cost, unless you know you need more for a specific purpose. If you're reusing your old Hyper 212, at least replace the fan, or just ramp up another $20-30 into a new cooler if budget permits.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor (£179.97 @ CCL Computers)
Motherboard: MSI MPG B550 GAMING PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard (£145.64 @ CCL Computers)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (£143.94 @ Scan.co.uk)
Storage: Seagate FireCuda 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (£113.86 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8 GB GAMING OC Video Card (Purchased For £0.00)
Case: MSI MPG GUNGNIR 110R ATX Mid Tower Case (£89.99 @ CCL Computers)
Power Supply: Corsair AX 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

Please comment on the above build and let me know what stupid mistakes I've made, been quite a while since i specced a PC. The PSU and GPU are being ported from the previous build.

Thanks in advance.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Finished my build I was working on since October, any suggestions for upgrades in the near future?

I’m thinking of changing the cooler at some point but it’s doing fine for now.

E:Going to upgrade to a 3080Ti when those come out/are available, the 3060 was just the only card I could find.

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jan 17, 2021

theshim
May 1, 2012

nitsuga posted:

If you're interested in overclocking, you could up your CPU cooler game a bit. The 212 is OK, but for ~$60 you get into a completely different league of coolers. A 10700K is a hungry CPU, so a little more cooling power isn't a terrible idea overclocking or not.

Here are a couple recommendations:
https://www.amazon.com/quiet-BK007-Elegant-Surface-Technology/dp/B087VL2Z21/?tag=li-org-main-20
https://www.amazon.com/Scythe-120mm-Cooler-LGA1151-Towers/dp/B07RFNG89S/?tag=li-org-main-20
Not planning on overclocking, but I think someone else also recommended the Pure Rock 2 and it's around 10 bucks difference, so I'll probably slot that in there.

Gonna buy all this junk and then wait until it shows up and do basically a full rebuild, it's been a long time. Hopefully I don't gently caress everything up!!!!!!!

Thanks for all the help, everyone, I appreciate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Taerkar posted:

I'm looking at upgrading and will be passing on my current PC to my spouse (who's using my previous one). I currently have an i5-6600/16GB/1060 6GB and for the moment I'll be keeping the 1060 for the new system until I can get my grubby mitts onto a 3060 (Don't want to spend more than $400 on a video card).

I'm probably going to stick with 1080p gaming as I don't really see much appeal to going all the way to 4k, and I'd like something that would be in the same size or preferably smaller case as what my current system is in.

I'd like at least 1.5TB of total storage (I have 3 Evo 860 500GBs in my current system) but I am quite fine with multiple drives if that's cheaper. I'd prefer for everything to come from the same source if possible to reduce the packages received. Without the video card I'd like to spend no more than $800 (not including any OS)

Ended up going with this:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory
Storage: Western Digital SN750 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Total: $852.93
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-01-17 16:20 EST-0500