Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Nuts and Gum posted:

Case Chat: Any thoughts on well built cases that don't have windows? Specifically anything that isn't designed to look like it's for a 'gamer'.
This looks the most attractive to me so far:

Check out the Corsair 4000D Airflow (or just 4000D if you want that plain front, but know that it does impede airflow.) I'm not sure if they make a windowless version, but for what it's worth, it's furniture-grade tinted glass. If you keep any & all LEDs out of your interior, then you'll struggle to see into it. Very pleased with the build quality. Has a USB-C port!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

There is also a version of the thread-favorite Meshify C with a steel panel instead of clear or tinted tempered glass

https://www.fractal-design.com/products/cases/meshify/meshify-c/black/

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Nuts and Gum posted:

Case Chat: Any thoughts on well built cases that don't have windows? Specifically anything that isn't designed to look like it's for a 'gamer'.
This looks the most attractive to me so far:

Fractal in general.

Meshify (anyone that fits your needs) if you want airflow (you do if you’re gaming focused). All their cases have a window/tint window/no window version.

Extra fans are a good idea.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
The fan for my Ryzen 5 5600X doesn't show up in HardwareMonitor, but when I open the case I can see that it is spinning, ontop of that, When I play Dragon Ball FighterZ and ONLY Dragon Ball FighterZ, it crashes after a few minutes, a hard crash where the whole system resets. This doesn't happen in Death Stranding or Tekken 7, is there a good benchmarking tool that could help narrow down what's going on?

Here's what it's showing me

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Boba Pearl posted:

The fan for my Ryzen 5 5600X doesn't show up in HardwareMonitor, but when I open the case I can see that it is spinning, ontop of that, When I play Dragon Ball FighterZ and ONLY Dragon Ball FighterZ, it crashes after a few minutes, a hard crash where the whole system resets. This doesn't happen in Death Stranding or Tekken 7, is there a good benchmarking tool that could help narrow down what's going on?

Here's what it's showing me

Try HWiNFO, Hardware Monitor is garbage now because they don't show detailed info on newer CPUs unless you pony up for their premium version.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
HWiNFO showed me what's good. I dunno what it is, but it's only Dragon Ball FighterZ that hard crashes, Yakuza, Dark Souls, Death Stranding, Tekken 7, Street Fighter V, all of these games work without crashes, but as soon as I get in an online match on Dragon Ball FighterZ it crashes, it's just freaking me out because of the new build, and the fact that my dad beats me with a set of jumper cables whenever it crashes. GPUs not getting hot, CPU is fine, I'm using the stock cooler, but it's not getting hot. All fans and heat look fine, power levels look fine, maybe this is just a problem with that game, is there a good game to test it with?

AK-47
Jul 10, 2001

This is a build for a new gaming PC starting from scratch, old rig was 8+ years old and is getting turned into a media server. I know the Mobo choice could easily be less but I like the look and was going for a white build so choices are few and far between. If there are any issues with it or the build in general please let me know. Unfortunately I'm not super patient and am likely paying a scalper fee for the card tomorrow.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/yVLTVc

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor ($325.00)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black 55 CFM CPU Cooler ($69.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 VISION D ATX AM4 Motherboard ($259.99 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($259.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($229.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Black 4 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($149.99 @ Western Digital)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB Vision OC Video Card (Purchased For $800.00)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($119.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $2314.88

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

vanilla slimfast posted:

There is also a version of the thread-favorite Meshify C with a steel panel instead of clear or tinted tempered glass

https://www.fractal-design.com/products/cases/meshify/meshify-c/black/

Exactly what I wanted. TY!

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

AK-47 posted:

This is a build for a new gaming PC starting from scratch, old rig was 8+ years old and is getting turned into a media server. I know the Mobo choice could easily be less but I like the look and was going for a white build so choices are few and far between. If there are any issues with it or the build in general please let me know. Unfortunately I'm not super patient and am likely paying a scalper fee for the card tomorrow.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/yVLTVc

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor ($325.00)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black 55 CFM CPU Cooler ($69.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 VISION D ATX AM4 Motherboard ($259.99 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($259.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($229.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Black 4 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($149.99 @ Western Digital)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB Vision OC Video Card (Purchased For $800.00)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($119.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $2314.88

You can save $100 on the SSD by going with a WD Black SN750. The 980 pro will benchmark faster, sure, but practically speaking it won’t make any difference in your gaming performance.

I have the same 3070 vision card, not because it was one I was specifically trying to get, it was just the first one I lucked into on a stock drop shortly after launch. I’m very happy with it.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

Boba Pearl posted:

HWiNFO showed me what's good. I dunno what it is, but it's only Dragon Ball FighterZ that hard crashes, Yakuza, Dark Souls, Death Stranding, Tekken 7, Street Fighter V, all of these games work without crashes, but as soon as I get in an online match on Dragon Ball FighterZ it crashes, it's just freaking me out because of the new build, and the fact that my dad beats me with a set of jumper cables whenever it crashes. GPUs not getting hot, CPU is fine, I'm using the stock cooler, but it's not getting hot. All fans and heat look fine, power levels look fine, maybe this is just a problem with that game, is there a good game to test it with?

Weird. Maybe try checking windows event logs and look for entries right before the system unexpected power off event and see if maybe some driver or software crash is causing it? Could just be that game too, maybe a reinstall? I assume you have the latest BIOS for the motherboard and all the chipset drivers?

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

What is driving this rediculous GPU shortage?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Limited production and cryptocurrencies spiking again. Hope you HODLed.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

cr0y posted:

What is driving this rediculous GPU shortage?

COVID/yields/covid-related demand/mining/fab capacity

Pretty much anything that could be contributing to a shortage is.

Bingemoose
Mar 24, 2014

Hurr Durr muts saf gotam cety
Jesus hardware is expensive this year. Was hoping to do a rebuild this year does anyone know anywhere to get a GPU that isn't a reseller for double MSRP?

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Read this thread and the GPU thread. Everything is bad but with good technique and patIence it is an possible to get things at retail.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Bingemoose posted:

Jesus hardware is expensive this year. Was hoping to do a rebuild this year does anyone know anywhere to get a GPU that isn't a reseller for double MSRP?

F5 in discord (somebody post the links again and I'll add them to the OP) or pay fauxtool $150 to do it for you, he's got an SA-Mart thread.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Bingemoose posted:

Visit your local Best Buy/Microcenter often just in case.

That said, I was able to grab an EVGA 1060 Super in like May because of their outlet thing. It's not top of the line but it's a good holdover until I can track down a 3060/Ti.

//Yikes. Even the EVGA B-stock stuff is cleared out. drat. You can also follow a few Twitter bots and hope you get the notification in time to check out. I almost pulled the trigger on a 3070 that way.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jan 24, 2021

Bingemoose
Mar 24, 2014

Hurr Durr muts saf gotam cety

FilthyImp posted:

Visit your local Best Buy/Microcenter often just in case.

That said, I was able to grab an EVGA 1060 Super in like May because of their outlet thing. It's not top of the line but it's a good holdover until I can track down a 3060/Ti.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking just get a placeholder that works better than my 770 I have now, weighing the odds on just buying a prebuilt with a 3080 loving expensive though.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I just sold my 1080 Ti in 20 minutes for $400 on Facebook. The market is indeed nuts. My 3070 only cost $550 (and took me 2 months of nonsense to get).

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
I’m looking to build a new PC but not in a huge rush. Just looking through some of the threads here and I just want to confirm: I should just wait for the 3060 to come out in February and try to pick one up close to MSRP, right?

Also I’ve never resold any parts. Do you typically need the old box it came with, or can I just pull out the GPU, CPU, and motherboard and sell those as-is? Would anyone even want to buy my GTX 970 or my Intel i5 4590 (3.3 GHz)?

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

Nuts and Gum posted:

Exactly what I wanted. TY!

I got this case 3 months ago for my new build. You'll really like it.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Slowpoke! posted:

I’m looking to build a new PC but not in a huge rush. Just looking through some of the threads here and I just want to confirm: I should just wait for the 3060 to come out in February and try to pick one up close to MSRP, right?

Also I’ve never resold any parts. Do you typically need the old box it came with, or can I just pull out the GPU, CPU, and motherboard and sell those as-is? Would anyone even want to buy my GTX 970 or my Intel i5 4590 (3.3 GHz)?

Getting a GPU at MSRP is the dream these days, but it's far from easy. The 3060 is promising, but all of the Ampere cards sell out in minutes, and probably will continue to do so for some time. Check out the last few pages of this and the GPU Megathread to get a link for the Discords and all that.

As far as reselling goes, the original packaging is nice, but not completely necessary. Make sure you package things well though and get an anti-static bag for the the GPU for sure, and really a CPU tray (like from the one you buy) is the way to go. I'm not sure if the CPU will fetch you much, but the 970 could probably still net you $80-$100. You might be running it for a while though, as GPUs really are screwed as far as stock goes. I'd check out prices on eBay, price them competitively, and list them locally or on SA Mart.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf
Here's a link to the Discord that helped me get a 3070, direct from Asus, for $600: https://discord.gg/8Nq5DczY4R. The best recommendation I can give (other than "be lucky") is to identify which sites you'd be comfortable buying from, create an account with them (if you don't already have one) and make sure your contact and payment details are fully updated before trying to purchase a card; most of the drops sell out in a matter of seconds so any amount of time you can shave off the ordering process helps you make it through the checkout as fast as possible.

Here's my finalized part list by the way:

quote:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor (Purchased For $370.00)
CPU Cooler: Scythe FUMA 2 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler (Purchased For $59.99)
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5 g Thermal Paste (Purchased For $8.00)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING B550-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard (Purchased For $178.33)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory (Purchased For $135.00)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (Purchased For $59.99)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (Purchased For $224.99)
Storage: Western Digital Black 4 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $145.00)
Video Card: Asus GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB DUAL OC Video Card (Purchased For $599.00)
Case: Fractal Design Define C ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $93.99)
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $124.99)
Case Fan: be quiet! Silent Wings 3 59.5 CFM 140 mm Fan (Purchased For $26.90)
Case Fan: be quiet! Silent Wings 3 59.5 CFM 140 mm Fan (Purchased For $26.90)
Case Fan: be quiet! Silent Wings 3 50.5 CFM 120 mm Fan (Purchased For $25.90)
Case Fan: be quiet! Silent Wings 3 50.5 CFM 120 mm Fan (Purchased For $25.90)
Custom: JBtek All Black Sleeved PWM Fan Splitter Cable 1 to 2 Converter, 2 Pack (Purchased For $6.99)
Total: $2111.87
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-01-24 17:51 EST-0500

After doing more research, it seems that PCIe 4 doesn't necessarily have an impact on game load times/performance right now, so I changed that to an SN550 and I also added an extra 120mm exhaust fan to (hopefully) improve the airflow.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

plainswalker75 posted:

After doing more research, it seems that PCIe 4 doesn't necessarily have an impact on game load times/performance right now, so I changed that to an SN550

Smart, but why 2 separate drives? There's no need to have a dedicated boot drive anymore, and you're just taking up both M.2 slots on your board unnecessarily, when you could just get the 2TB drive, then when PCIe 4 is actually relevant (and cheaper) you could move the SN550 to the PCIe 3 slot and install a new PCIe 4 NVMe.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Fallom posted:

I just sold my 1080 Ti in 20 minutes for $400 on Facebook. The market is indeed nuts. My 3070 only cost $550 (and took me 2 months of nonsense to get).

Obviously ebay fees and such, but 1080Ti's are selling for $600++ on ebay.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Obviously ebay fees and such, but 1080Ti's are selling for $600++ on ebay.

I picked up a 1050 ti for ~150 six months ago, now they're over 250 on amazon. Seem like most graphics card right now have stupid markups. I noticed the same with ram too, prices are typically up 10-20% or more. If you read reviews sometimes they'll be talking about getting the same part for $80 and it's at 200 or whatever.

e: fixed typos

Broken Machine fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jan 25, 2021

Lando131
Jul 27, 2006

This is one way to find scum...
Heads up: Newegg Shuffle currently happening now.

https://www.newegg.com/product-shuffle

In other news, is $660 a good price for an ASUS TUFF branded RTX 370? That's a fair bit over MSRP and almost as much as a 3080 MSRP, but the tariffs hit so now I'm not sure.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

Butterfly Valley posted:

Smart, but why 2 separate drives? There's no need to have a dedicated boot drive anymore, and you're just taking up both M.2 slots on your board unnecessarily, when you could just get the 2TB drive, then when PCIe 4 is actually relevant (and cheaper) you could move the SN550 to the PCIe 3 slot and install a new PCIe 4 NVMe.

Mostly out of habit I guess, but my C: and D: drives total more than 2TB and I don't really have the wherewithal to clean them up right now; I figure that, when it makes sense, I'll shuffle the M.2's as you suggested, get an enclosure and then use the 512GB as external storage.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Lando131 posted:

In other news, is $660 a good price for an ASUS TUFF branded RTX 370? That's a fair bit over MSRP and almost as much as a 3080 MSRP, but the tariffs hit so now I'm not sure.
I paid $600 pretax for the Aorus Master 3070 in November

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Lando131 posted:

Those prices are basically al MSRP.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that
More anecdote: I just remembered that it's Monday and I was out and about, so checked in at the local Microcenter and saw, for the first time, a couple of 5600x's on the shelf along with a single 5800X. (I bought one of the 5600x). Possible evidence that supply is ever-so-gradually creeping a little bit in the direction of demand. (Video cards over there are still a complete joke, though - a few 1660s on the shelf and the entire rest of that aisle completely bare.)

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
The processors have actually been OK even since release in my experience if you are diligent. Lots of microcenters have them in stock and newegg/amazon get them pretty regularly and they stay in stock for several minutes usually.

GPU's however... have fun...

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

This is a really stupid question, but I was looking at whether tower or top-down CPU coolers are more efficient and came across this thread: https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/node-304-tower-vs-low-profile-cooler-impact-on-airflow.2563526/

Someone in it claims that if your tower cooler is rated for twice your CPU TDP, you don't even need to use a cooler fan, airflow through the case will be good enough to cool down the radiator. Is that true? My Bequiet cooler is rated for 150 watts and my 3600 tops out at 65, but no way I'm going to risk overheating for potentially negligible sound dampening...

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

change my name posted:

This is a really stupid question, but I was looking at whether tower or top-down CPU coolers are more efficient and came across this thread: https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/node-304-tower-vs-low-profile-cooler-impact-on-airflow.2563526/

Someone in it claims that if your tower cooler is rated for twice your CPU TDP, you don't even need to use a cooler fan, airflow through the case will be good enough to cool down the radiator. Is that true? My Bequiet cooler is rated for 150 watts and my 3600 tops out at 65, but no way I'm going to risk overheating for potentially negligible sound dampening...

Uhhh, no. Passive coolers are massive things with very limited tdp.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

change my name posted:

You could test this by putting the fan curve to force the slowest speed possible, and it'll still be way hotter with the fan removed.

Just set it at a curve where you can't hear it, then only have it ramp up in uncomfortable zone (like 75C+). Also set the curve to delay start of the fan by like 10 seconds to prevent spikes causing a spin.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I kind of figured that was the case

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I ran a Radeon HD 4850 passively cooled with some Accelero S1 or similar on it for years and it was perfectly fine in a case with very so-so airflow. Had better temps than the original GPU cooler, too.
You just need a big enough heatsink. :D

Graniteman
Nov 16, 2002

I’m going to build a PC for gaming and video/photo editing (Davinci Resolve and Lightroom). In the list below I already have the video card, PSU, monitors, and case. I have questions about the memory speed, cooler, and motherboard.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 3.7 GHz 12-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: *G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Video Card: Asus GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB STRIX GAMING OC Video Card
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Monitor: Dell U2715H 27.0" 2560x1440 60 Hz Monitor
Monitor: LG 27GN950-B 27.0" 3840x2160 144 Hz Monitor
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-01-26 14:58 EST-0500

I’m looking for feedback on how to choose memory speed. I don’t know the deal with infinity fabric speeds and how they interact with RAM. I’ve seen that 3600/CL16 is the same performance as 3200/CL14, but the 3200 RAM is more compatible since you don’t have to OC the infinity fabric.

I’m also interested in feedback on the CPU cooler. I’ve had good luck with Noctua the last couple of builds, and it looks like the NH-U14S should work for the 5900x, but people seem to more often go for the bigger NH-D15. I liked the idea of the smaller U14S because it takes up less space in the case, which should let me get better air circulation inside the case itself. Noctua lists it being compatible with the 5900x so I don’t know why I wouldn’t get it, but wonder why everybody seems to get bigger coolers. I have no interest in overclocking.

I went with the Aorus Elite motherboard for the CPU-free BIOS flashing. If I could be sure it would work with the 5900x out of the box, I’d get the cheaper TUF motherboard. I assume they are still not sure to be shipping with compatible BIOS, right?

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Lando131 posted:

Jesus christ the price on those 3070s are $700 and $760. Is Newegg marking up now or is that post-tariff MSRP?

I hated paying partner card premium a couple months back, but now I'm feeling pretty good about my $560 ASUS TUF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Boxman posted:

Jesus christ the price on those 3070s are $700 and $760. Is Newegg marking up now or is that post-tariff MSRP?

I hated paying partner card premium a couple months back, but now I'm feeling pretty good about my $560 ASUS TUF.
I think that is post-tariff