Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

Joiny posted:

I'm on the unofficial discord and I probably won't have to camp for a 3070, but for a 3080 ya.

They only had ten 3070s and eight 3090s in the shipment I camped out for. Unless that unofficial discord has employees setting aside cards in secret, you'll have to camp for a 3070. I have seen 6700XTs sitting on the shelf though. But all the 30 series nvidia cards have been by voucher almost exclusively for at least the last month. Granted, four 3090s were left over, but only because of the high price. They also had seven Red Devil Ultimate 6900XTs sitting on the shelf. Because nobody thought $2500 was reasonable for any 6900.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

dabre_aiamim posted:

Thanks for the feedback, my last build was multiple years ago and effectively a copy/paste from one of the Logical Increments' builds. I've tried again with this, dropping back to just 16Gb of ram. The Seagate drive is a placeholder for something in the 8Tb range, not that specific drive.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-11400 2.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($188.99 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S redux 70.75 CFM CPU Cooler ($49.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock H510M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1200 Motherboard ($94.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Silicon Power 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($77.97 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate BarraCuda Compute 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($154.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Node 304 Mini ITX Tower Case ($82.01 @ Walmart)
Power Supply: SeaSonic CORE GM 500 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $773.88
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-05-05 21:06 EDT-0400

This looks solid.

Quick google says PSU is a good choice at that price range, but I didn’t see tons of data.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Seems fine to me

Good CPU, good GPU, NVMe, etc

Also 750w PSU so that you can potentially get a bigger card down the road

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

Joiny posted:

I'm on the unofficial discord and I probably won't have to camp for a 3070, but for a 3080 ya.

Not sure where you are, but my local MC has 80 people lining up every day. They usually go home empty handed, but sometimes they get a 'big' drop of 20-30 3080/3070s, the rest being AMD or non-Ti 3060s.

Joiny
Aug 9, 2005

Would you like to peruse my wares?
This is the MD stores where apparently they each get about 5 cards in a drop that includes 30 series cards. Supposedly at parkville if you show up between midnight and 6am it's possible to be 3rd to 5th in line. I don't see myself doing it (at least not anytime soon) but maybe that helps someone else in the area that has better constitution than me.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
Is all this stuff about camping out at microcenter only really for the high end cards? If I'm only looking for a 3060 at most (or one of the 3050s when those come out) should it theoretically be a little easier to get one of those?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

super fart shooter posted:

should it theoretically be a little easier to get one of those?

Nope

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
My dude, 1660s are going for $500 on the secondary market, of course everything is hosed.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

Seems fine to me

Good CPU, good GPU, NVMe, etc

Also 750w PSU so that you can potentially get a bigger card down the road

Thanks. Normally I’d build from scratch, but…

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

What are 1070s (not TI) going for right now?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

MF_James posted:

What are 1070s (not TI) going for right now?

way too much, 600-900 on ebay. poo poo was like what, 400 new 5 years ago?

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Still out of stock on the 3600s, and I'm probably still going to wait on a video card but, how does this look as an updated list?

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Scythe FUMA 2 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI B550-A PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($87.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus GeForce RTX 3060 12 GB TUF GAMING OC Video Card ($509.99 @ B&H)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($97.89 @ B&H)
Power Supply: Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 PE 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($103.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1109.83
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-05-06 16:22 EDT-0400

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

super fart shooter posted:

Is all this stuff about camping out at microcenter only really for the high end cards? If I'm only looking for a 3060 at most (or one of the 3050s when those come out) should it theoretically be a little easier to get one of those?

Sorry to be the one to tell you - 3060s are high end cards now

On Monday there were 80+ people camped out in Dallas on opening the voucher line

78 cards total

about 40 3090/80/70s, the rest of the 3060 non-Ti

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Shaddak posted:

Still out of stock on the 3600s, and I'm probably still going to wait on a video card but, how does this look as an updated list?

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Scythe FUMA 2 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($87.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus GeForce RTX 3060 12 GB TUF GAMING OC Video Card ($509.99 @ B&H)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($97.89 @ B&H)
Power Supply: Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 PE 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($103.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1109.83
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-05-06 16:22 EDT-0400

Personally think the FUMA is way overkill for the 3600 since it doesn't run that hot but hey it's a good value and fits in your case so might as well. Only thing I'd consider is paying a few more bucks for the 3600mhz version of the same RAM. Might now notice any difference but it's a few bucks for bigger numbers.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Shaddak posted:

At this point the Intel 11400 is a much better option. Cheaper, faster and also has integrated graphics to tide you over until you get a GPU.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Butterfly Valley posted:

At this point the Intel 11400 is a much better option. Cheaper, faster and also has integrated graphics to tide you over until you get a GPU.

This. 3600 should only be considered right now if you can’t get a 11400 or the price is stupid low.

Mu Zeta posted:

Personally think the FUMA is way overkill for the 3600 since it doesn't run that hot but hey it's a good value and fits in your case so might as well. Only thing I'd consider is paying a few more bucks for the 3600mhz version of the same RAM. Might now notice any difference but it's a few bucks for bigger numbers.

The Fuma is so quiet. It’s only overkill if you’re not looking for a quiet fan. If you want as quiet as possible stick with the Fuma.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

So I'm building a PC, and have been doing the extremely hosed up Newegg shuffle with a buddy for the privilege of buying a GPU. Well, my buddy was selected on Wednesday, bought a 6700XT bundled with mobo, and even had a coupon code to apply to take off a little more.

We found out today that Newegg canceled the order as part of a glitch, will not send the parts, will not honor the order, will not compensate for the coupon code use, won't return the money for a couple days, won't offer any kind of restitution beyond "pound sand, good luck re-entering the shuffle". We tried chat, escalating in chat, and calling direct. Anyone got a good avenue to name and shame for this? It feels super lovely to do NOTHING for the customer in this case

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

mercenarynuker posted:

So I'm building a PC, and have been doing the extremely hosed up Newegg shuffle with a buddy for the privilege of buying a GPU. Well, my buddy was selected on Wednesday, bought a 6700XT bundled with mobo, and even had a coupon code to apply to take off a little more.

We found out today that Newegg canceled the order as part of a glitch, will not send the parts, will not honor the order, will not compensate for the coupon code use, won't return the money for a couple days, won't offer any kind of restitution beyond "pound sand, good luck re-entering the shuffle". We tried chat, escalating in chat, and calling direct. Anyone got a good avenue to name and shame for this? It feels super lovely to do NOTHING for the customer in this case

Big name tech Twitter types. Someone who has a low threshold to pick something up and a lot of engagement.

Joiny
Aug 9, 2005

You guys gonna hate me, I literally walked into microcenter parkville at 3:30pm~ today and walked out with the exact 3080 I wanted.

They still had some 3070s available as well at the time.

Now that I have the 3080 and my 5600x, the rest of the build is this unless y'all disagree:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor ($309.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Aegis 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($164.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: ADATA XPG GAMMIX S50 Lite 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($235.99 @ B&H)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB FTW3 ULTRA GAMING Video Card ($2499.99 @ Monoprice)
Case: Lian Li LANCOOL 215 ATX Mid Tower Case ($87.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 750 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($139.99 @ B&H)
Total: $3578.91
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-05-07 16:29 EDT-0400

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
what the gently caress :mad:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

That’s some pretty incredible luck

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Un loving believable luck. One in a million shot.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

This makes me very happy for you! Of course that's probably easier for me to say having had a 3080 since November last year.

Get yourself a good CPU air cooler. I have the Scythe Fuma 2 on my 5600x and it keeps it frosty while being silent under the noise from the 3080.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Joiny posted:

You guys gonna hate me, I literally walked into microcenter parkville at 3:30pm~ today and walked out with the exact 3080 I wanted.

Imagine not slapping down your credit card and screaming “i’Ll tAkE yOuRe HoLe sToCk” at the minimum wage cashier.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Joiny posted:

Now that I have the 3080 and my 5600x, the rest of the build is this unless y'all disagree:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor ($309.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Aegis 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($164.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: ADATA XPG GAMMIX S50 Lite 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($235.99 @ B&H)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB FTW3 ULTRA GAMING Video Card ($2499.99 @ Monoprice)
Case: Lian Li LANCOOL 215 ATX Mid Tower Case ($87.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 750 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($139.99 @ B&H)
Total: $3578.91
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-05-07 16:29 EDT-0400

Did they have any 3090's? Also, gently caress your lucky man.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

please don't scalp it or use it for cryto, please be a success story for someone who just wants to game.

Joiny
Aug 9, 2005

They had just sold a 3090 before I asked about the 3080, no more in stock today.

You can't buy more than 1 GPU per 30 days at microcenter right now, so no buying them out unless you have a bunch of fake IDs or friends (hah) or something.

I'll look into the Scythe Fuma 2, thanks for the suggestion!

And ya, I'm not a reseller or scalper, just a normal dude who wants to play my games. I may try to sell my 970 since I won't need it anymore though.

Edit: Oh ya, no crypto or mining either. I hate it.

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer
Ugh, I live 1 mile from a Microcenter but it’s in Chicago, constantly packed and I can’t imagine the amount of dipshits I’d have to contend with to get one. Might as well be 3000 mi away for all the effort I’m gonna put in to getting a gpu from there.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Joiny posted:

They had just sold a 3090 before I asked about the 3080, no more in stock today.

You can't buy more than 1 GPU per 30 days at microcenter right now, so no buying them out unless you have a bunch of fake IDs or friends (hah) or something.

I'll look into the Scythe Fuma 2, thanks for the suggestion!

And ya, I'm not a reseller or scalper, just a normal dude who wants to play my games. I may try to sell my 970 since I won't need it anymore though.

drat, I guess I need to attempt to go to microcenter, the only one is like an hour away. Really sad they closed all the Frys :(

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Joiny posted:

I got my old computer hooked up to my TV. I will never sell my GTX 970! It was (is) the best piece of electronic goods I ever owned. No trouble installing fans quiet from day 1 never any driver hiccups. EVGA is solid, man.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

FuriousGeorge posted:

Ugh, I live 1 mile from a Microcenter but it’s in Chicago, constantly packed and I can’t imagine the amount of dipshits I’d have to contend with to get one. Might as well be 3000 mi away for all the effort I’m gonna put in to getting a gpu from there.

Kind of same. Microcenter is close by in Paterson, but not within public transit so I'm screwed unless I can get a ride from someone. I'm thinking of waiting for the 3080ti to drop since I imagine they'll carry it or will get a shipment of cards in.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

DerekSmartymans posted:

I got my old computer hooked up to my TV. I will never sell my GTX 970! It was (is) the best piece of electronic goods I ever owned. No trouble installing fans quiet from day 1 never any driver hiccups. EVGA is solid, man.

I'm so lucky I got the 1080 when I did, I got it really early for VR and the things can be resold now for near new price but screw that, it's gonna have to last me probably 3 more years until you can actually buy a GPU online like normal.

It's silly, all I want is a 3060ti for MSRP, but alas.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

LifeSunDeath posted:

I'm so lucky I got the 1080 when I did, I got it really early for VR and the things can be resold now for near new price but screw that, it's gonna have to last me probably 3 more years until you can actually buy a GPU online like normal.

It's silly, all I want is a 3060ti for MSRP, but alas.

I mean, if you can limp along without it you’ll never get another chance to sell years old hardware at or above MSRP.

Frankly if I could live without for a while, I’d be instantly selling my old GPU to fully fund an MSRP upgrade once they’re available. It will happen.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Does anyone have a list of the original msrp prices for cards?

Killer_B
May 23, 2005

Uh?

FuriousGeorge posted:

Uncertain to your ability to make it out to the Western burbs, but were you aware,

Micro Center also has a location in Westmont as well?

Uncertain to their stock/lottery/voucher availability regarding GPUs.

It's been extra money (primarily gas) to get out there for me, but it was where I picked up a 5600x when I noticed their stock was running under 25 units. Decided against a mobo at the time, they seemed pretty intent on pushing the high end +++ money boards FWIW. At least the price was minus Cook County tax?

:capitalism:

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

doomrider7 posted:

Does anyone have a list of the original msrp prices for cards?

try not to be sick

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

The temptation to try to flog my FE 3080 for €2000 is high but then I'd 1. be without a computer for a while and 2. be part of the problem, even if I'd be bilking someone with way more money than sense

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

Doccykins posted:

try not to be sick

This is for the FE models and what the AIBs should have started at. I think the AIBs from the get go ranged from +$30 to $100 or more.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
It's worth noting that the MSRP up to the 3080 was unrealistic from the beginning, before the cards launched there were multiple leaks and rumours of board partners (and even Nvidia's contractors for the FE coolers) complaining about Nvidia's minimum price being set too low vs. the requirements set for PCB manufacturing, coolers and voltage regulation. I think the board partners had to have at least one version at MSRP but even without the spike in demand they had very little reason to actually make these SKUs when they could barely break even vs. selling souped-up OC versions for $100+ more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RME
Feb 20, 2012

What’s the best bet for getting a opening with a 3000 series card and then reducing the e-waste from mixing and matching from my current build (which could also use a cpu upgrade but honestly it’s easier to get the exact one I want there it seems). I’m not even sure what I would do with some of the leftover parts, like whatever cheap psu was probably included in the prebuilt

There is no microcenter in my state so that’s out of the question and well, I have some generally bad experiences with prebuilt from a long time ago