Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I'm going to need to finally replace my PSU here before the new GPU line comes out, what are the Corsair lines to avoid/go after?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Klyith posted:

CX non-modular if you have limited budget

after that all the gold rated models (RM, TX, RMX) are all great. RM for fully modular, TX for semi-modular but zero fan mode, RMX for both.

Their platinum-rated models like HX and HXi are also great, but have extra features that imo are kinda useless and bump the price a fair bit. I'd rather just get a seasonic prime platinum than spend extra $25 on USB monitoring or a switch for single vs multi 12v rails.

Thanks, perfect rundown!

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Pole of Mars posted:

It's time for me to upgrade my build to play Doom Eternal and I was wondering what would be the best starting point considering I just got a 1440 144hz monitor and am on a limited budget for a while.

Here's my current build

I was thinking of either going for this combo

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($249.50 @ Vuugo)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($148.50 @ Vuugo)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($99.75 @ Vuugo)
Total: $497.75
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-01-30 19:50 EST-0500

Or a new video card for around 500$CAD. Something like a RX 5700 or a RTX 2060 Super

Any thoughts on what would have the best impact?

If you are truly on a limited budget and on a 1440p144 I'd instead spend the whole kit on a GPU, like a 2080S. Yeah your CPU is going to be a limiting factor but I think a 3570 w/ a 2080S will outperform a Ryzen 5 3600 with a 2060S at that res.

You could even get a 3770k for about $100 used on ebay if you want, not sure if that's a great use of money though. Depends on if Doom Eternal will run significantly different with a 4/4 vs a 4/8 CPU. (which is why I never tell people to upgrade for games that aren't out yet)

Basically, being on a 1440p144 system right now and getting a 2060S seems like a mistake to me.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Scruff McGruff posted:

I think getting a 3770 would be a necessity if you go for a new GPU. Having recently moved from a 3570 to a 3770 to a 3600, 4c/4t is really limiting in modern titles, especially with Ivy Bridge age threads. Obviously it's hard to predict for a game that's not out yet and Doom (2016) was a very well optimized game that can pump a lot of frames on almost anything so Eternal may be ok but there really is a surprising bump just moving to a 3770.

Yeah, its tough with his monitor and will depend on the games. I think 4/4 still has some life left and I think you'd get more out of a better GPU. Like I think you might lose 20 FPS because your on 4/4 instead of a newer CPU, but I think you'd lose 30 stepping down to a 2060 from a 2080S.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Tachonium posted:

Thinking of upgrading my GTX 1080 to an RTX 2080 Super. I run an ultrawide monitor at 3440x1440.

Would this be an ok upgrade or do I need to worry about my processor or any other components?

Klyith posted:

Mostly I'd say that right now seems like the worst time to buy the most expensive video card on the market while it's still full price. We're starting to get news trickles and rumors about 3080 and Big Navi.

2080S is not the most expensive card on the market and you can find some deals on it if you hunt. It's not a bad time because there are 0 actual release dates, prices or performance on any Big Navi/3xxx series.

That said. I'd ask what are you doing that you feel like you need a new GPU. I generally think holding off is a good idea but if you were going to upgrade the 2080S is probably the best bet.