Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Hey there, friendly thread-folk. I'm looking at building a mini-ITX gaming and VM-cluster/compilation machine this winter, and I'm looking for feedback.

Right now I'm looking at the Sliger SV590 for a case and have a list that looks roughly like:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor ($639.99 @ Memory Express)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L12S 55.44 CFM CPU Cooler ($73.74 @ Amazon Canada)
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-I Gaming Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard ($314.99 @ PC-Canada)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory ($281.35 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Intel 660p Series 2.048 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($318.64 @ Newegg Canada)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8 GB GAMING X 8G Video Card (Purchased For $0.00)
Power Supply: Corsair SF 600 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply ($144.99 @ Memory Express)
Custom: Sliger SV590 ($450.00)
Total: $2223.70
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-01-05 16:02 EST-0500

I'm likely to have it on a 4K-ish display (3840x1600 seems most likely ATM) so it's possible-likely that CP2077 will push me into a video card upgrade, which is one reason that the power supply is as beefy as it is. I may also talk myself into a 3950x, but probably not. More likely is that I'll decide that I want to go to 64GB of RAM to avoid having any of the VMs in the test cluster paging out on me. I think I've chosen B-die RAM that will do fine at 3600, but I haven't bought RAM in a long time, and I worry that I might need to find something lower-profile. I read about a successful 3950x build on that motherboard, and it has a decent number of USB holes, but I'm not emotionally attached to it.

Another question I have is around cooling: should I be trying to put together a liquid loop for the CPU and GPU instead of the NH-L12S on the CPU? What other fans am I going to want in the case to get good, quiet airflow?

Thanks for any guidance you can provide! I'd like to keep it under $2500ish, assuming reuse of the GPU, but it's not a hard limit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Mu Zeta posted:

https://noctua.at/en/cpu/AMD_Ryzen_9_3900X

According to their page the 3900x will be adequately cooled by the L12S as long as you don't overclock.

Also I think it's funny how you're getting all this expensive gear and then get a second rate SSD. Grab an HP ex920 or Sabrent Rocket while you're spending the dough!

Yeah, I wonder how loud it'll be.

I thought the 660p was good, thank you! I guess I was skimming the SSD thread too quickly.

E: oops, the L12S is too tall. Hmm, only 55mm to play with, which I think means AIO.

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jan 5, 2020

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

VelociBacon posted:

You're better off asking in the monitor thread but that looks fine to me? I would actually avoid HDR personally because I work on photos a lot and I don't want to see them differently to how they show up on other people's devices.

Doesn’t it only do things differently if the content shows up in an HDR format? I assume people’s devices vary in brightness anyway...

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

VelociBacon posted:

I haven't read up on it but I'd assume that an HDR monitor is going to display more dynamic range in a photo than you'd normally see so you might edit your highlights and shadows differently than you would without HDR? I don't know.

HDR display can’t invent dynamic range in your photo, though, and even if you had HDR photo data then it’s just brightness control and everyone’s devices are different there anyway. (To say nothing of the fact that most devices aren’t colour calibrated against sRGB in the first place—you’re going to lose on gamut harder than on brightness.)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ebola Dog posted:

How much of a pain are AMD drivers for the graphics card? I'm planning on getting a 5700 xt soon as I can get the powercolor red devil for ~£350 which is cheaper than any decent 2060 super cards I've found. But looking online a lot of people (on reddit especially) seem to really hate the drivers. I don't have any personal experience with AMD graphics drivers so I don't know.

They’re fine, which is I guess more to say NVIDIA’s situation isn’t really any better.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Hello, people with slightly frightening recall of chipset and component minutae. I seek your guidance on a few computers that I'm looking to build over the course of the rest of the year. (I'm in Canada.)

1) home server: Home Assistant, NVR, various docker barnacles, Unifi controller, maybe some Plex -- $500 would be great, but who knows what old Skylake-S motherboards are found for these days.

I have a i7-6700K, 2x16GB DDR4-3200, and 2TB Micron 1100 SATA SSD that I'd like to move into a home server. I'll need a motherboard and case and cooler and power supply. Likely I'm looking for the motherboard at least on eBay, given the age of the socket?

- The closet is not big, so I think I'd prefer mITX, but if it's a big win in other ways then I could see mATX
- Would like a good number (4+) of USB2/3 ports, ideally at least 2 on the front panel
- Gigabit Ethernet, 1 will do.
- AC-or-better Wifi would be good, but a PCI slot that I can add it to later would do in a pinch.
- No GPU going into this thing, if that helps figure out cooling and case.
- Room for a second SATA drive would be good in case I start acting as a backup server for everyone's laptops and such.
- Compatible with modern Linux in terms of drivers for the core stuff.

2) compactish gaming and development machine -- ~$2000 CAD? $2400?

Pretty much from scratch other than GPU. Will be running 4-12 containers doing database and ML stuff, Fusion 360, lots of compiling, CP2077, in a smallish shared office space. Would like to be able to drive 4K@100+ when GPUs get there (this fall?) -- currently a 1080 driving 1400@144 but that will almost certainly be upgraded to an Ampere 3x80+ when they emerge. Probably Ryzen 2 (12/24) and then upgrade to 3 when they come out, moving the Ryzen 2 into Machine #3. Will Ryzen 2 RAM be what I want with Ryzen 3? I understand it to still be DDR4, but I don't know if there are other dimensions that I'll want to be different between them. Don't need audio, but a bunch of USB ports front and rear would be nice. I'll want to start at 32GB, but be able to upgrade without too much hassle to 64GB if things get chunky. Had been thinking ITX because the Sliger SV590 really appeals to me, but that looks like it'll be hard to cool quietly, so I could go to mATX. Once the Ryzen 3 and Ampere are in it I expect to keep it for 5+ years.

3) secondary gaming machine -- ~$700 CAD?

1440@60Hz, will get the 1080 in the fullness of time and an over-specced Ryzen 2 out of the development box. Some bloated Civ stuff, Sims!, Cities Skyline, Minecraft, mostly I just want it to be quieter than the monstrosity that is currently in use, and it would even be fine to underclock in service of that. Will need case, cooler, RAM (unless I want to swap out when I move to Ryzen 3 on #2), motherboard, PSU, SSD. Ideally wifi on the motherboard, but I have some cards lying around too.

I'm hoping to get the upgrade to #1 and #2 started this month, and then #3 when Ampere and/or Ryzen 3 release.

This thread is an incredible resource; thanks in advance for any guidance you can provide!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Subjunctive posted:

2) compactish gaming and development machine -- ~$2000 CAD? $2400?

Pretty much from scratch other than GPU. Will be running 4-12 containers doing database and ML stuff, Fusion 360, lots of compiling, CP2077, in a smallish shared office space. Would like to be able to drive 4K@100+ when GPUs get there (this fall?) -- currently a 1080 driving 1400@144 but that will almost certainly be upgraded to an Ampere 3x80+ when they emerge. Probably Ryzen 2 (12/24) and then upgrade to 3 when they come out, moving the Ryzen 2 into Machine #3. Will Ryzen 2 RAM be what I want with Ryzen 3? I understand it to still be DDR4, but I don't know if there are other dimensions that I'll want to be different between them. Don't need audio, but a bunch of USB ports front and rear would be nice. I'll want to start at 32GB, but be able to upgrade without too much hassle to 64GB if things get chunky. Had been thinking ITX because the Sliger SV590 really appeals to me, but that looks like it'll be hard to cool quietly, so I could go to mATX. Once the Ryzen 3 and Ampere are in it I expect to keep it for 5+ years.

Here's what I've come up with so far. For a case I'm looking at the Sliger Cerberus, but I will need to do some geometry to make sure it'll all fit. (I'll also need to source the X62 from somewhere, hmm.)

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor ($647.50 @ Vuugo)
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62 Rev 2 98.17 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: ASRock X570M Pro4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($239.17 @ Vuugo)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory ($298.30 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($359.99 @ Memory Express)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8 GB GAMING X 8G Video Card (Purchased For $0.00)
Power Supply: Corsair SF 750 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply ($219.99 @ Memory Express)
Case Fan: Noctua NF-A15 PWM 140 mm Fan ($29.99 @ Memory Express)
Total: $1854.92
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-05-21 16:51 EDT-0400

Questions:
- am I going to be annoyed by the fan on the motherboard chipset? I've heard so much conflicting stuff about the X570 fans.
- should I expect Ampere cards to be sized like my current 1080, or might they be a lot larger?
- are there other great mATX cases I should be considering?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I have a MSI X570 A-Pro, which is not a very high end X570 board, with a 2600X. I have yet to have the chipset fan even spin up when I have been tracking in HWiNFO64. Granted, I'm doing just some gaming in not particularly demanding titles as well as web browsing, but I think it's just gonna kick in at really high demand levels where your other fans will be blowing away too.

Thanks, that's good to know. I wonder if a 3900x will push the chipset harder, but worst case I disable the fan and aftermarket a heat sink or something on there I guess.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I’m pulling together my machine, and I had a couple of questions:

- I have an ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming 4 motherboard, but it doesn’t seem to have come with any M.2 screws. I have an open box unit, so I’m not sure if they went missing, or if they just don’t come with the motherboard. I can’t tell from the manual or website which is the case. Does anybody know?

- related, I bought an M.2 wifi card (which also didn’t come with a screw!). When I buy the MHF4 leads and antennas that I should have ordered along with it, where should I mount the antennas proper in/on my case? I have (I think) a Be Quiet! Silence Base 600, and I don’t see anywhere obvious to attach them

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Boxman posted:

Is this your board?

Manual says they should have been in there:

They're tiny as gently caress, make sure it didn't slip into a corner of the box. It's what happened to me. Of course, if it was open box, you really might not have 'em. :(

That’s my board, yeah. I completely disassembled the box, and had a few flare-ups of hope that were the same screw-shaped dent.

Fabulousity posted:

Did you check to make sure the screws aren't already installed on the motherboard?

I hadn’t, and that is exactly the sort of gently caress up I would make while Karening my way through the support number for my parts dealer, but I checked and they aren’t already in the motherboard. Good thought, though!

I guess I’ll see if I can easily get them to give me some, or else I suppose there’s always Amazon.

Thanks, both.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Klyith posted:

Uh, one of these flag-type antennas they sell for laptops? You're gonna want to snake them outside the case somehow. The inside of a metal case is not great for wifi reception.

More like this, with traditional antennas but nowhere obvious to put them.

I can do the return dance and get a PCIe card for this build, but I had hoped to do this in another ITX build where I don’t know that I’ll have space for such a card. Hmm. I assumed people did this routinely, because the motherboard has easy support for it, but welp. Maybe they get cases with the MHF4 antenna leads built in or something.

Thanks for your help.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Boxman posted:

If you don't mind waiting for a shipment from Shenzhen, a quick google search brought this up. I'm sure you can dig further for something in stock that won't have to clear customs. Or you can order that and just run the antenna cable through the empty PCI slot and tape the antenna to the wall or something else close by, take a picture of the jank, and we'll share a laugh.

Now that I’m looking at the right I/O shield, it has 3 holes designed for those antennas to screw into them! They thought of this!

Too bad I already started processing the return and ordered a new PCI wifi card, but I’ll know for later.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

sean10mm posted:

Yeah, this would go on the floor next to my desk. Basically I'm kind of looking for the better compromise in terms of noise vs. cooling. Like I'll give up *some* sound if it's substantially cooler, or give up a little bit of cooling if it's noticeably less noisy, and I don't have a good feel for where these two sit as far as that goes.

I also know none of this is really NECESSARY and I'm just being a fussy bitch becaue I like overthinking my PC builds (and then forgetting about it for the next 5 years.) :v:

When I think “small and quiet”, like Ryzen 9-NVIDIA x80-ITX-in-the-bedroom-and-running-overnight stuff, I think liquid cooling, maybe even a custom loop. There are cases that can accommodate two radiators, which you might be able to use for both CPU and GPU AIOs to avoid needing to go custom. My 3900/3x80/ITX plan revolves around a Sliger SV590 and liquid cooling, FWIW, and if I decide that’s too finicky to fit in terms of clearance, then it would be an mATX like the Cerberus or such. (Cerberus might let me do air, even.)

Liquid cooling beyond AIOs, and possibly even then, is a hobby of its own, though...

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

sean10mm posted:

I think you have me mixed up with the other guy, I'm going for a big mid tower ATX with quiet-ish air cooling from bigass fans. :)

I...do. Apologies! High-volume, low-speed air is great if you have the space.

I just learned that my GPU doesn’t quite fit into this case with the DH-15 in place, at least in the primary slot. I could have sworn PCPP said it was all compatible, but I looked at so many different configs trying to get parts that were available... It has “Crossfire” support, so I’ll see how my perf is with the card in the other full-length slot until I get a different cooler, I guess? What silliness.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Well gently caress.

I built the new PC yesterday, got Windows installed, everything seemed fine with RAM running at 3600 and so forth. Left it to sleep overnight and this morning it won’t start.

When I press the power button, I get a quick hit of light from the video card and the CPU and GPU fans turn a little, and then it stops. If I hold the button it repeats that over and over in little bursts. The CPU and DRAM lights are lit on the motherboard (even with power disconnected).

- ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming 4
- Ryzen 3900
- 2x 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3600
- MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8 GB GAMING X 8G
- WD Black SN750 1TB SSD
- EVGA 1000W PSU

The PSU and GPU were happily in use in the previous build. I can dig up another PSU to test on, later today.

Reading the web it sounds like a number of people have had defective motherboards of this type, but they seem to never get it to post in the first place. Mine was an open box at a time that the store is only taking returns on defective parts, which are dots that I didn’t previously connect, alas.

Any ideas for what I should try before I do the return dance?

Bleh.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

HalloKitty posted:

That sounds like vaguely like short circuit protection. Might not be, of course, and it's always impossible to know exactly what it is without taking a good look at it. Before you put another PSU in it, try doing the good ol' basic steps like re-seating the GPU, only having one stick of RAM, reset the CMOS, etc. Doesn't hurt to have a good look over and check if there could possibly be anything shorting out, and double check that all the cables are firmly seated.

If none of that poo poo works, it's definitely time to try another PSU.

Taking the RAM out involves removing the cooler, at which point I can also try another CPU I have here, I guess. I thought I was being smart not putting it all into place until I knew it booted properly, but noooooo.

Thanks for the advice!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

HalloKitty posted:

I must say, that is a royal pain.. and you did the right thing, because it did work properly yesterday... :iiam:

Well, the old remove-and-reseat of everything but CPU/RAM seems to have worked! I had been really reaching to get one of the power plugs in past the cooler, so it might not have been solid? Let’s hope it holds!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Subjunctive posted:

Well, the old remove-and-reseat of everything but CPU/RAM seems to have worked! I had been really reaching to get one of the power plugs in past the cooler, so it might not have been solid? Let’s hope it holds!

Hmm. After it went to sleep it did it again: won’t wake, and won’t power up except for little bursts. Reseating everything would probably take it out of “sleep” state, so maybe that’s the core of the issue. I had sleep-related problems with the previous build using this PSU/GPU/case, so maybe one of those components is at fault (seems most likely to be PSU to me)?

The other thing is that when it was working again, it was on its side. I’ll leave it on its side this time and see if that is related somehow?

I’ll turn off sleep states in the BIOS and see what I can figure out. Very weird.

E: removing the video card causes it to boot as far as a GPU error, and then keep rebooting, so hmm. would having my moderately-beef video card in the secondary PCI slot possibly have this effect? it doesn't fit in the primary one with the cooler I currently have, but since the motherboard is rated for crossfire I figured it would be OK. Do 4-lane and 16-lane PCI slots have different power properties?

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jun 3, 2020

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I don't think I can rotate the NH-D15, alas.

Ugh. What a mess. Maybe I'll get a different motherboard, if ASRock are assholes. What would you recommend? Would like dual M.2, wifi would be nice, 64GB max over 4 slots.

Though I definitely need a different cooler, so maybe I'll start there: what would you recommend for quiet air cooling of a PBO-only 3900X with decent case flow?

(PCPP doesn't flag the incompatibility between the motherboard and the cooler, but then it doesn't flag any incompatibility between the cooler and the case, and the cooler is too big for the side panel to go on, so I may have been expecting too much.)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

HalloKitty posted:

The NH-D15S fixes the problem of the top-slot being blocked. I always recommend the NH-D15S, not the plain NH-D15, for that reason. Maybe you can flip the NH-D15 and pick up the S version. Just an idea.

Edit: crap, I saw that you have a problem with the height of it hitting the side of the case. Forget my suggestion, it won't help with that..

Yeah, I checked out the D15S once I saw the problem, but it’s only half a solution.

Honestly who makes a mid ATX case that won’t fit the best air cooler in the universe? Shameful.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Klyith posted:

For those requirements, I'd say the Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite Wifi. If you want something that's in stock so you can buy it now, the non-wifi Aorus Elite is in stock now.

All of gigabyte's X570s are good, the Gaming X is my recommended sub-$200 X570.

You won't need a different cooler if you go with a board that puts the first PCIe slot lower, like the gigabyte ones and most other X570s which put an nvme slot between the CPU & GPU. It's only an issue with boards that have the GPU in the slot 1 position. (Also for anything but the Asrocks like yours, using the 2nd slot in x8 mode is fine.)

I don't think PCpartpicker will flag for dimensions, other than the very basic "don't buy a mATX case for an ATX mobo" one. I've never seen them say anything about GPU length in small cases.

Ah, and the non-wifi one is even in stock in Canada!

I’ll need another cooler if I want to close my case, but I’m not as immediately concerned about that given how quiet everything seems to run. Being able to use sleep is more significant to me.

Thanks very much for your help, and HalloKitty too!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Klyith posted:

Subjunctive you have a bequiet silent base 600, right? That in the specs says max cooler height 167mm. The D15 specs say 160mm without fan, 165mm with fan.

I think your noctua should fit, you may just need to adjust the fan clip so the fan sits a little lower. If the first fan can't go lower because it impedes on the ram, put it on the other side as a pull fan. (Or swap it out for a 120/140mm fan.)

I’ll try that, thank you. I don’t know how people manage to figure out anything without this thread, honestly.

I’m trying to remember why I picked an X570 to start with, and being able to get a Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro Wifi for more than $200 less than the current pandemic pricing of the X570 (non-wifi!) variant leads me to want to double check. The X570 boards seem to do better on USB port quantities, and maybe have more power phases, but I’m not sure how much the power stuff actually matters if I’m not doing serious OC.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Coucho Marx posted:

If you're happy to do it, then ITX is fine! Just watch that 3rd gen compatibility - that motherboard might not come with an updated BIOS

The thread title would have us believe otherwise?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Klyith posted:

A place where B450s might have been sitting around since before Ryzen 3000 is low-volume parts like ITX. A goon ITT bought an ITX B450 that did not come with an updated bios a couple months ago. He had an older ryzen sitting around so it was fine but he let us know that at least some B450s exist that can do 3000 out of the box.

Ah, ok. I’m glad to know that. The title is why I didn’t think twice about B450 when I was looking at ITX previously.

Also, to update you on my saga: the AORUS board arrived and it seems pretty great; thanks for the recommendation. I adjusted the center fan on the NH-D15 down, and can now close the case(!), but I can’t put the other fan on either side: one side has RAM, and on the other side is a 3 bedroom, 2 bath structure over the IO ports that handily blocks it. I’ve got an exhaust fan mounted about 8cm away that is sort of a “diet pull” configuration, and I’ll keep an eye on temps.

My biggest complaint is honestly that the mouse movement in the BIOS seems to be at about 7dpi, but that’s probably because of something set weirdly in my Logitech GAMER NAGA ESPORTS mouse.

Next up: building the girlfriend’s new machine out once her daughter is around to help, and then the upgrade to the home server when the ITX 1151 board for that arrives from Hungary or wherever.

So grateful I am for this thread as a resource. I would have torn my hair out on that slot/power issue and then just lived without sleep, angry at my new computer mere days into its life.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Butterfly Valley posted:

I’ve gone down the rabbit hole now and made a mATX build taking into account the fact that you’re limiting yourself to small form factor GPUs if you go ITX, and although there’s decent 2070S cards at that size I guess there’s no guarantee when the new cards come out they’ll be made in the smaller form factor immediately/ever maybe? However I saw a beautiful tiny case by this German manufacturer called Dan’s Cases, evidently niche and very popular because they’re not available again until September, which manages to fit full-size GPUs in an ITX format by sandwiching the GPU behind the mobo using pci extenders and now I want one.

Yeah, there are a few like that. The Sliger ones are my white whales.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

DeadlyMuffin posted:

- Something that will let me max out the graphics settings in Sea of Thieves (I get the feeling I'll get made fun of for this)

Solidarity! It’s a really pretty game.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

denereal visease posted:

The only fucky part is that I'd be moving from an ASRock X470 board to an Asus X570 board. Not sure if that will create issues with driver conflicts.

I went from an ASRock x570 to Aorus X570 without issue, fwiw. You could uninstall the chipset drivers first if you wanted.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Isn’t lower CL better?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

TheNothingNew posted:

Is built-in WiFi decent now, or do I need a discrete controller?
How do you install windows without an optical drive/with just a key?
Is the stock AMD cooler fan good enough/quiet enough if I'm not overclocking?

AORUS wifi seems fine.

You can download the media from Microsoft via a tool that will prepare a USB key for you. But buy your key from SA-Mart for $10 instead, please!

It’s not Noctua-quiet, but IMO it’s not obnoxious and it can handle non-OC temps fine on the 3600.

E: yeah, look at ADATA, HP or WD for SSD instead

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Happily, the price premium is also pretty small these days, so for $15 you can simplify cabling and get a marginal perf boost.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

My X570 doesn’t have that, or at least I didn’t see and connect it if it does, and my 3900X with PBO is doing fine.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I can't find a decent B550 board in stock anywhere :(

also someone should change the thread title, it's not quite accurate anymore.

e: or at least it won't be in a few months

I’m told it’s not necessarily accurate today for low-volume stuff like ITX boards, anyway.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I thought that 4 slots was slower than 2 slots, all else being equal. I thought I learned that in this thread, in fact!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Alchenar posted:

This feels like one of those times where there might be a few edge cases where it's a bad idea to fill slots, particularly if the ram is different, but actually 99.99% of the time it's absolutely fine. The Motherboard comes with 4 slots for a reason, manufacturers aren't playing a big con on everyone.

I recently in this very thread had a “don’t use that other PCI slot because it doesn’t do power correctly” experience, but I take your point. I thought it might have been there as a tradeoff of space vs speed.

There’s stuff like this out there talking about changes in memory controller load, but it’s good to know for sure. Thanks.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/4x4gb-vs-2x8gb.1549035/

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Klyith posted:

If you want the performance of a 2070 for the price of a 2060 Super

and you aren’t interested in DLSS or (lesser issue) RTX

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

AndNowMax posted:

The board was recommended by a friend for a bit of future-proofing since it supports pcie4.0 and should be able to support the next gen of video cards. I also need WiFi on my card and it looks like the TUF X570 would only save me about $20 in that case, would it still be worth it?

I don’t believe we have any reason to believe that the upcoming generation of GPUs will require, or even take advantage of, PCIe 4.0. Did I miss something?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Get the Windows key from BT in SA-Mart for :10bux: instead

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, it’s like magic.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Mistikman posted:

I literally had to install RGB controls for both my monitor and my motherboard, because both defaulted to bright circus bullshit and you can't even turn it off without the loving software.

For my motherboard, it had lights on if it was on or off, so since my computer is in my room, it meant the only way to make my computer not some loving nightmare lighthouse was to unplug it from the wall when I wasn't using it, unless I wanted their loving RGB malware installed.

I loving hate RGB, but it gets added to a ton of otherwise high quality products.

This seems like a problem that a hobby knife or pair of flush cutters can solve pretty effectively!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Bloody Pom posted:

For light strips sure, but for a lot of PC components they're built directly into the housing under translucent plastic. I don't know about you but I don't feel like stabbing away at a liquid cooling block with a sharp object.

My motherboard allows me to switch off all lighting in the BIOS at least.

ah yeah, for that you need electrical tape. definitely a bad scene