Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Looking at building a new PC and I'm stuck between the 3700X and the 10700K. I'm leaning towards 10700K as it's only a $150 difference and seems to OC better.

My goal is to get the best performance I can out of Arma, IL2, DCS, and I'm sure Microsoft Flight Sim once that drops. Running them on an Ultra Wide 1440P monitor, and may get a 4k sometime in its life.

I have a 1080ti and will be upgrading that whenever the 3000 series drops.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-10700K 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor ($408.89 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($109.99 @ B&H)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS ATX LGA1200 Motherboard ($158.48 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial P1 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($104.99 @ B&H)
Storage: Seagate BarraCuda 4 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($93.98 @ Walmart)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($98.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GA 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($139.84 @ Amazon)
Total: $1255.14
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-07-25 20:43 EDT-0400

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($279.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($109.99 @ B&H)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard ($174.99 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial P1 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($104.99 @ B&H)
Storage: Seagate BarraCuda 4 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($93.98 @ Walmart)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($98.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($124.99 @ Corsair)
Total: $1127.90
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-07-25 20:44 EDT-0400

I'm not tied to anything in these lists. my budget is about $1,500 for everything excluding the GPU.

Edit: or the third option, should I just wait for the AMD 4000 Ryzens?

Bondematt fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jul 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Planning on building a new PC with 5600x/5800x, X570, and likely 6800XT or 3080 whenever those reviews come out(and once we get past the vaporware phase), but my 1TB SSD is really too small to keep all my games installed at once now, since I swear that's like 5 modern games tops.

I figure I might as well get a PCI4.0 since it will complement the above whenever the GPU direct memory access becomes a thing in games, which both AMD and Nvidia seem to be doing this generation. SSD reviews seem to suck, but is there anything I should be looking out for?

This one seems pretty well regarded and has TLC NAND flash, on deal of the day on Amazon for $100 off for the next 5 hours: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TLZVBNC/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2ELBRY1PH9SPX&psc=1

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Any clue if AMD is going to do the bootkit for 500 series mobos that might not have the latest bios?

Edit: Looks like they are! https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-105

Don't know why it's an entirely separate page from the 3000 series processors

Bondematt fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Nov 10, 2020

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

DrDork posted:

Just note that they require you to ask your mobo OEM for a RMA swap, first. So you're still gonna be sitting for days either way waiting for someone to ship you something after you've already taken delivery of the CPU.

That's dumb! Hopefully by the time I actually find a 5600x, the mobos in stock will already be updated.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

:catstare:

Walmart joined in on the price gouging?

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Mu Zeta posted:

Nah walmart also has third party sellers that set their own prices

They do, but that's not the case here:

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

infraboy posted:

Yowzers, 3080s popped up on Amazon and they were gone within seconds, getting a PS5 was a piece of cake compared to this. I'll admit to hesitating slightly because it wasn't going to be shipped until the 23rd but I guess that is just how these things go.

Had one all the way to the place order page, and still couldn't get one. Shits insane right now. Added and went to check out within like 5 seconds of the link in discord popping up

Kept trying, but best I got after that was adding to cart and it was gone by the time it got to the checkout page.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

chippocrates posted:

I built a PC about 4 years ago and went relatively cheap on the GPU end so I'm looking to upgrade in the next few months (not immediately given scarcity). I used a Corsair PSU when I built the PC. PC part picker indicates that a decent GPU will push me close to the wattage of my current PSU, so I'll upgrade that at the same time. If I buy another Corsair PSU will I be able to just unplug the cables at the PSU end and plug them into a new PSU, or will I have to cut all my zip-ties?

Typically you cannot re-use modular cables even within the same brand. In some cases you can check the model #s of both and may be ok, but it's more than likely you'll need to use the new cables.

Bondematt fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Nov 30, 2020

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
My Bazooka B550 surprised me. Thought I was going to need to flashback for the 5600x, but slapped everything together, turned it on, and it went straight to post => no boot drive.

Then it made fun of me for putting my ram in the wrong slots. Apparently 2 & 4 are ideal, 1&3 are not.

Currently running 4.5 all core on 1.2v at about 65c. I can get 4.7, but it's at like 1.4v and hits 85c-90c then and I don't really want to stay there for extended periods without seeing how other people fair first. Precision Boost shoots to 1.42v for 4650, which seems pretty aggressive.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Inzombiac posted:

If Nvidia flood enough 3XXX cards into the market in order for me to get one at a reasonable price, I will find religion.

It's bugfuck nuts that you can't get one without being a hawk or running a bot.

There was 1 3080 stock drop on the ATR discord today. Its insane.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Booyah- posted:

There was an amazon listing for the 3080 earlier this evening that stayed up for about a minute or two, which makes me really suspicious of how many of those orders they can fill.

It was up for like a full 6 minutes according to the discord chat, and I got one in the first minute.

Typically I click it, hit buy now, hit place order, and get the out of stock message.

Inzombiac posted:

I signed up for every 3XXX GPU alert and they are gone in microseconds.

I was staring at the alert window and clicked it the moment it was posted and it was gone.

This has happened a dozen times.

Every single one was like this until today.

Camp a discord channel all day and you too can get the slim chance to buy a card at MSRP!

Bondematt fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Dec 17, 2020

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Veskit posted:

Ohhh last questions sorry. Is stock cooling good enough for a 5600x and do I even need to bother overclocking it?

Stock cooler is fine if all you do is game with headphones on. As someone mentioned above its louder than aftermarket. You will probably thermal throttle if you use precision boost to OC.

You can overclock a 5600x pretty well, I have all core 4.5ghz at 1.2v on mine. Precision boost will do all core 4.65, but it throws 1.42v at it to get there which will overload the stock cooler I'm sure, also that voltage is supposedly unsafe for long term use.

I really like my Fuma 2.

Edit: on the question of if you should overclock: probably not. You wont realistically see much performance difference in games.

Bondematt fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Dec 19, 2020

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Booyah- posted:

I put everything together with my Ryzen 5800X and it seems to be running great. One concern though, is the CPU clock speed supposed to vary over time? Mine is just constantly maxed out even when just idle on the desktop and no web browsers open

The only thing I changed in the BIOS was setting the RAM speed to 3600Mhz which is it's XMP speed.

Get Ryzen master, most the other programs don't seem to be able to track the current clock speed and I'm not sure why. Even CPUz seems to just show it as maxed out sometimes when it is not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Well I've got a weird one. Using MSI Afterburner with my EVGA FTW Ultra 3080 locks it at 1350mhz, and the only way to reset that seems to be to close MSI, go into EVGA Precision X1 and move the clock speed around, apply, then reset to 0 offset. The clock speed wouldn't go up or down from 1350, but the Memory clock still scaled up and down as usual, even after closing afterburner.

Hopefully MSI fixes that at some point, cause I really prefer that over EVGA's tool.

Edit: This is on the 4.6.3 beta, so it "should" support a 3080.

Bondematt fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Dec 25, 2020