Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
Is there a good article to read somewhere on the relative differences between the 2060S, the 2070, and the RX5700?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

What's the sweet spot for CPUs these days? If i'm really just gaming at 1080p and never overclocking I should be fine with a Ryzen 3600X yeah?

I would prefer to stick with Intel but it seems like their chips are solidly outclassed these days?

Jinnigan fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Nov 20, 2019

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

Just playing 1080p games with a Ryzen 3600 and a GTX 2060S, no overclocking, is there a motherboard you'd recommend with 6 total rear USB slots and onboard wifi?

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

This is kinda off topic but does anyone have a recommended website for pre-built computers? My mom needs a new machine and she just wants to replace the box and keep all her old monitors + peripheries. She just goes online, no heavy usage. Is Dell still the king of this sort of thing?

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

Looking for motherboard recommendations, or at least advice on what specs to look for. I'm looking to upgrade with the next wave of GPUs. I'll be building inside a FD Meshify C, looking to get either a Ryzen 3600 or 3700(x?). My big requirements are:

6+ USB slots, at least one USB-C
1x M.2 NVMe slot
Bluetooth and WiFi built in if possible
Better than average sound a plus

Well I guess that's it.

I saw the B550-A being recommended, but it doesn't seem to have Bluewooth and WiFi built in - would it be simpler to just get these on a separate card?

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

How concerned should I be about getting a X570 board instead of B550? looking to plug in a 3700x and 3070 (or whatever) in it, for gaming and no overclocking.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

Looking at the MSI MAG X570 TOMAHAWK WIFI and I see that there are WIFI uhh screws on the I/O. My question is: is the expectation that WiFi works on the board already, and I can plug in an extra WiFi antenna if I'm feeling fancy? Or am I expected to have a WiFi antennae before anything works, it's just that this will save me the cost of a WiFi PCIe card?

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

This is an M2 form factor SSD, but it is a SATA drive instead of an NVMe drive. For the same price, grab the WD Blue SN550, for a much faster SSD.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

I started making a spreadsheet to compare motherboard options, and then I figured some nerd must've already done this. And they did!

https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...tables.3110172/
Direct link to spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wmsTYK9Z3-jUX5LGRoFnsZYZiW1pfiDZnKCjaXyzd1o/edit?usp=sharing
Someone on Tom's Hardware shoved 328 motherboards in a spreadsheet with every piece of information you could possibly want, with sorting and filtering options.

We gotta put this in the OP or something

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapcsa...web2x&context=3

Guy claims that the Asus B550-F ROG Strix Gaming  uses the I225-V 2.5GB lan chip, which is apparently bad, and sucks butt.

How much should i care/be concerned about this, especially if I'm unlikely to ever push max 2.5GB speeds on account of, well, the state of consumer internet in the US?

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

Trying to narrow down my mobo choices and here's what I've got, both about $200:

Asus X570-Plus TUF Gaming WiFi
Gigabyte Aorus Pro AC

Kinda learning towards the Asus, but does any one of these stand out more than the others? How much do things like this thermal chart 'matter,' strictly speaking? As long as you 'pass' the test (unlike the MSI boards here), is this a totally synthetic test that doesnt even matter in the real world

Jinnigan fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Aug 25, 2020

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

Well. Of all the options I listed, the Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS is on sale at Staples for $150 after coupons (46065 at checkout). So. That's my motherboard sorted, then.
edit: jk they're out of stock

Just need to buy the CPU, PSU, and GPU, and I'll have a full system. Is it safe to assume that we won't see any discounts on a 3700x anytime in the next 1-2 months?

Also, would it be dumb and insane to buy a PSU before we've even seen the 30xx GPU details? I was kind of thinking I might pull the trigger on a 650w PSU if a good one shows up on sale

Jinnigan fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Aug 25, 2020

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

tater_salad posted:

so My aging intel 6600 is really starting to show its age, looking to switch to team AMD.
Figure I might as well get a tower cooler because the best time to put one in is when you're building.

Here's my current thoguhts:
R5 3600
Asus ROG STrix B450F

Is there e a reason to go to a X570 board?

Not necessarily, but you might want a B550 board so you can get at least the one PCIe 4 x16 slot

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

I'm gonna get 2x 140mm fans for my Meshify case. Where should I stick the front 120mm fan it comes with? I don't want to put it on the bottom since it'll be sitting on carpet. Does it make sense to put it on the top, as either intake or exhaust?

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

Does anyone have experience with the Scythe Fuma 2 cooler? According to Hardware Canucks, for the average user it outclasses the Noctua NH-U14S in thermals, audio, and price?

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

While we're on the topic of case airflow, I'm trying to understand how that's supposed to work for GPUs in a Meshify. I can point a front case fan at the GPU directly. But then the GPU has fans that point.... down? And the PSU has fans that... take in air from the GPU and exhaust it?

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

Is there any problem if I buy a power supply that's too much power? Looking around at recommended power supplies and a lot of the 650W units are actually a lot more expensive than 750W units. 

https://www.newegg.com/evga-supernova-750-g3-220-g3-0750-x1-750w/p/N82E16817438093%A0for example, is $130 for 750W while it's $220 for the 650W

also it looks like RTX30xx using 12-pin connectors instead of 8-pin connectors is true:
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2020/08/26/nvidias-ampere-rtx-3000-teaser-pretty-much-confirms-everything-we-already-knew/

what does that 'mean' for buying a PSU. am i gonna need new wires direct from the supplier

Jinnigan fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Aug 26, 2020

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

Furiously checking r/buildapcsales every day for good deals and also furiously not clicking buy on anything until Sept 1st is quite a feeling, folks

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

How's this Super Flower Leadex III 750w look for powering a 3700x/nVidia 30xx system?

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($289.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Scythe FUMA 2 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard ($189.99 @ B&H)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL20 Memory ($293.20 @ Amazon) (i bought this for ~$110)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($104.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB Video Card ($499.99 @ Best Buy)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($98.98 @ Newegg)
Case Fan: Noctua NF-A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140 mm Fan ($21.95 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: Noctua NF-A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140 mm Fan ($21.95 @ Amazon)
Total: $1581.03
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-08-27 22:18 EDT-0400

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

Klyith posted:

Techpowerup reviewed it & said it was fine, they have real psu testing equipment.

750 is well more than watts than you need, the nvidia "OMG 12-pin power!" has been answered, and it's nothing more than a physical space issue. The cards will come with an adapter for 2x 8-pin and won't need monster power supplies.

So if you were looking at that one because it's $10 less than other gold 750s, the 650W seasonic is in stock for $100 and will be totally fine for 30xx cards.

Sweet, thanks! I might stick with the Super Flower Leadex III and just grab the 650w version, mostly because it's fully modular, and also because: there are Too Many PSU variations and it's impossible for me to keep track of all them and compare against reviews.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

How do we feel about getting an open box mobo from micro center instead of new, for a $20 savings?

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

Some Goon posted:

Worst case you return it. Make sure it has the io plate if thats a deal breaker for you. My GPU was open box and its never had a hitch. You may or may not need to ask to get the mobo+cpu discount.

Thanks for that advice, I'll make sure to look for the io plate. I did ask ahead of time if it's still eligible for the cpu+mobo discount and they said you can't double dip. Otherwise it'd be a $40 savings which would be a no-brainer for me.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

How quickly do third-party GPUs (MSI, Gigabyte, etc) hit the shelves after nVidia's reference cards? Mostly thinking about having, like, 'proper' cooling solutions on the cards here instead of blower models, etc.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

if my mobo power plug fits like this (with a few extra on the side) is that fine?

asus tuf gaming x570-plus wifi
super flower leadex iii gold

Jinnigan fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Sep 3, 2020

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

im a djpshit. its backwards

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

Is a 20+4 pin enough to power the whole mobo and CPU? The CPU cables I got..... don't actually fit the CPU and PSU on both ends

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

interesting, this is the exact problem i have. same issue with the power cable, exact same incorrect CPU cable layout: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/754718-solved-8-pin-cpu-power-cable-doesnt-fit/

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

Some Goon posted:

Eh? Post pics.

two ends of one CPU cable. both of my two CPU cables are like this

easiest thing will be to express order the compatible EVGA PSU cables? how do i figure out which ones are compatible with the leadex iii gold?

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

Klyith posted:

That is the EPS 12V connector. The one on the left in your pic is the side that goes to the mobo.

One half of the connector having all D pins rather than the squares and Ds is a common thing, I've never been clear why. I think it's because these connectors only care about being right side up.

Get your case out onto a table where you can get some light and see what you're working on, because you seem to be doing everything by feel and that's not great. I don't know how you got the 24pin mobo connector upside down and offset but that's like you're going way wrong here. Look at the plug for the tab that the latch hooks to, you need to get things right side up and the tab-latch orientation is why they assume you won't gently caress that up.

This got me sorted out. Thanks for the advice!

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

What happened to Corsair cases? Finished building my new computer and cracked open my old one and it sent me down a whole memory lane when Corsair was one of the most popular casemakers around. But I've spent like a month researching this new build and not even a single one of Corsair's cases were ever recommended.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

okay figure i might should actually troubleshoot this, since i'm having trouble with the windows 10 rendering some apps blurry on one of the monitors:

i have a Asus Tuf Gaming X570-Plus mobo, 3700x CPU, and gtx970. now, everything actually works - i am posting from the machine as we speak - but the mobo itself won't actually get past the white VGA 'debug' LED light. what does that mean, and how should i fix it?
(i have both monitors plugged into the gtx970)

e: well, i fixed the light by downloading a displayport firmware update for my GPU. weird.

didn't solve the blurriness for some programs, though.

Jinnigan fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Sep 5, 2020

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

All of you fools rushing to build or upgrade just because of new graphics cards or zen3 or DDR5 have failed to pay attention to the timing of the most important product roadmap

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

I got a Super Flower Leadex Gold III 750w for a PSU. Now I got my hands on a founder's edition RTX 3080, which uses a 12-pin adapter. Does anyone know if Super Flower plans on releasing a 12-pin adapter for this, or where to find one? I sent them an email but as they seem to be primarily a Taiwanese company I couldn't find any English-language news updates.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

sean10mm posted:

The card comes with an adapter. Unless you mean like a custom 12 pin cable for that specific PSU?

Yeah, the 3080 FE uses that ugly rear end "two 8-pins into a 12-pin" adapter, which is Fine:

but I was hoping to get one that looks a little better. Almost entirely for aesthetic reasons (it's not like I even have TG windows or anything for the case)

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

Hmm. Every several hours my monitors black out for a few seconds and then come back. sound stays on, computer stays on. I dont believe its related to GPU heat since its happening when I'm not gaming also (but i am gaming a lot), and as far as speccy can tell the GPU isn't going over 70c. I am undervolting at 800mV/1800MHz, not sure if that would cause it. Not sure how to narrow this issue down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

Klyith posted:

If you are operating anything out of spec, especially voltage or power, that's the first thing to reset to standard while troubleshooting.

That's a good idea. I went to rest it in MSI Afterburner and it turns out I had it on standard since I did some testing and forgot to go back to undervolting. Womp womp. The mystery continues