Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkestLite
Feb 27, 2007

"Can we fix it?"
"No, it's fucked."
What country are you in? USA. SF Bay Area specifically (No Microcenter)

What are you using the system for? Gaming, mainly. I'd also like it to be capable of playing the new stuff @ 2560x1440p 144hz while potentially having a family member streaming from my plex server (Also maybe transcoding?)

What's your budget? Ideally ~$2000 including a RTX 3080. There's wiggle room if need be. I'll be using my 1070 until I can get said GPU.

If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use? Nothing big. Maybe some Affinity Photo for fun but nothing taxing.

If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? 2560 x 1440 @ 144hz. Second monitor is just 1080p. Ideally at some point in the future I'll be making the 1440p the secondary and getting a 4k monitor but it's not anytime soon.

My main question is the best way to build this PC around jumping in line with everyone else to get a 3080. It's my first PC since this one I built with my 6700k and GTX 1070 which has served me well. Only other notes would be my apartment does get very hot in the summer so good cooling/airflow is something I have to consider. People streaming from my plex server won't happen terribly often (Even less so with transcoding) but I'd like to be prepared for it.

I also have all the storage / peripherals I need except for maybe one good main fast SSD to be my C:\ drive. 1-2 Tb.

Also I'd be most comfortable with a Mid-Tower but if I need to go full for the 3080 I can work with it.

I'm ready to buy parts as quickly as this week, but I can hold for some deals too, especially if I'll be unable to get a 3080 at launch (Which is likely depending on stock.)

Thanks all!

DarkestLite fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Sep 4, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkestLite
Feb 27, 2007

"Can we fix it?"
"No, it's fucked."

Klyith posted:

Gonna handle this one first since it's also general info for everyone: if you can stand waiting, don't preorder the "founder's edition" cards straight from nvidia. Once the OEM cards come out the prices will quickly be $50-100 cheaper for the basic spec cards. (And $100 more for the super-OC x-treme gamer RGB cards, but those are always bad value.) Nvidia's coolers look very interesting but I'm not sure they're gonna be a complete revolution.

A 3700X for the CPU will help with the random transcoding (though you should set up plex to use the GPU for the encoding side of that).

Compact mesh-front mid-towers like the Meshify are fine for a high-heat system because, despite being small, they have tons of airflow with a couple 1400mm fans. More air volume really doesn't get you much in terms of cooling, it's all about how fast you exchange inside air with outside air.

So here's a build: PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($289.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler ($63.75 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MAG B550M BAZOOKA Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($149.99 @ B&H)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($93.98 @ B&H)
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($119.97 @ Newegg)
Case Fan: Noctua NF-P14s redux-1500 PWM 78.69 CFM 140 mm Fan ($14.95 @ Amazon)
Total: $877.57
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-09-03 22:15 EDT-0400

After the 3080 you still have cash left for a bigass NVMe drive -- though you might want to wait on that until the same time as when you pull the trigger for the 3080. New models of nvme drives seem to be coming shortly.

As a note, I have the solid-panel meshify there because you didn't mention any looks preferences. If you want a case with glass, they got glass. And there are plenty of options for adding blinkenlights if that's your thing.

Firstly, thanks so much for putting this together. I really only have a few questions.

I absolutely adore the case design and the mesh front seems like a great idea for my needs. My only issue is the Max GPU size. It says 315mm and I know the FE of the 3080 is ~290, meaning the giant 3-fan cards will be longer (MSI will have some at 323, if techpowerup is to be believed). Should this be something I should worry about? I was looking at the Lian Li PC-011 (Not that much bigger than my current NZXT S340) at one point as I know it’s a beloved case (Also can fit up to 420mm GPU yeeeesh) but I have the same fear about airflow.

My only other question was is if 650w is enough for the PSU. Nvidia “recommends” 750w but I know that’s more of a precautionary thing and that just getting a good PSU matters more.

Also, I didn’t realize some mobos have WiFi/Bluetooth. I, for now, have to use a WiFi connection for my PC so if there’s a mobo I can swap in that has one or both of those, that would save me using extra USB ports.

Thanks again! My buddy plans on following this same build And we’re both looking forward to upgrading.

DarkestLite fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Sep 4, 2020

DarkestLite
Feb 27, 2007

"Can we fix it?"
"No, it's fucked."

sean10mm posted:

According to nvidia, the 3080 FE is <300mm long. The Meshify C has 305mm clearance for graphics cards with a front fan in place.

3090/3080/3070 FE Dimensions: Length 12.3" (313 mm) 11.2" (285 mm) 9.5" (242 mm)

e: Even the MSI triple fan huge fuckoff 3080 is listed as right at 305mm.

https://us.msi.com/Graphics-card/GeForce-RTX-3080-VENTUS-3X-10G/Specification

MSI has a second fuckoff triple fan that's 323mm (Gaming Trio as opposed to the Ventus). I don't know what the differences are :v:

the_enduser posted:

Yeah, I was looking at the techpowerup list so wasn't sure. https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/geforce-rtx-3080.c3621

I also was just going off the product image Fractal posted.

So idk I'm waiting till the GPUs come out before buying fans anyways. I would like to get a 3080 FE if I can. Just worried I'll end up with an ASUS or some big rear end one.

I have a question related to airflow and the 3080 FE which probably who knows since it's not even out yet.

My plan was to pull in air from the front of the case, and exhaust from the top and back of the case. Would this not be the right idea for the FE card since I think the card is supposed to exhaust air out of the end of the card, which will seemingly be directly into the fans pulling air into the case? I think I messed up my airflow on my last (Current) build and want to make sure I do things right this time around.

DarkestLite
Feb 27, 2007

"Can we fix it?"
"No, it's fucked."

Vir posted:

The Trio has one extra power connector, more :catdrugs:, slightly more heatsink and likely will support higher overclock frequencies than the Ventus. Looks like they otherwise are the same.

You're actually doing exactly what they recommend. One of the fans will blow heat out the rear PCIe shield and into the lower part of the case, while the fan which is closer to the front of the case will blow air from the bottom of the case towards the top of the case to be exhausted by the rear or top fans of the case.

Idea:

Closer to reality:

e: I'd fill the whole front of the case with intake fans, even though the diagram shows just two.

Also what sean10mm said.

Perfect! Thanks to everyone who has helped me, especially Klyith who put this list together that I slightly modified.

Unless anything sticks out, I'm probably gonna place some orders this evening!

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($289.99 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler ($63.75 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MAG B550M BAZOOKA Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($149.99 @ B&H)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify S2 ATX Mid Tower Case ($149.89 @ B&H)
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($169.99 @ Amazon)
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link Archer TX3000E PCIe x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac/ax Wi-Fi Adapter ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Custom: RTX 3080 ($800.00)
Total: $1833.49
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-09-04 18:26 EDT-0400

EDIT: Oh, one compatibility note comes up that I wasn't sure about. Note: The Noctua NH-U14S 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler may require a separately available mounting adapter to fit the MSI MAG B550M BAZOOKA Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard.

I've literally never had an AMD CPU, is there anything I should be worried about with the fan?

DarkestLite fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Sep 4, 2020

DarkestLite
Feb 27, 2007

"Can we fix it?"
"No, it's fucked."

Klyith posted:

To expand, a full set of fans from bottom to top means the CPU will be getting something besides that hot air from the new through-card cooler. GN is saying they're gonna test whether this actually makes much of a difference -- I'm betting measurable but small -- but in a case like the Meshify you might as well.

You think I should toss two more 140mm fans in my build and put them in the bottom of the case blowing upwards?

E: Also, will I be able to power all these fans or will I need to get some kind of adapter? I've only ever had like 3 fans in a case at once before.

DarkestLite
Feb 27, 2007

"Can we fix it?"
"No, it's fucked."
So I ordered everything on my list (Thanks again for all the help everyone!) but I am kind of wishing I went for a x570 over a B550.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor (Purchased For $289.99)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler (Purchased For $63.75)
Motherboard: MSI MAG B550M BAZOOKA Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (Purchased For $129.99)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory (Purchased For $149.99)
Storage: Mushkin Pilot-E 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (Purchased For $230.99)
Case: be quiet! Pure Base 500DX ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $115.00)
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $152.94)
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link Archer TX3000E PCIe x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac/ax Wi-Fi Adapter (Purchased For $49.99)
Custom: RTX 3080 ($800.00)
Total: $1982.64
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-09-07 14:57 EDT-0400

If I do decide to get the x570, I can return the wifi card I bought, making it only a ~$20 difference.

Any thoughts of either of these?

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/msi-mpg-x570-gaming-edge-wifi-socket-am4-usb-c-gen2-amd-motherboard/6357223.p?skuId=6357223

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-tuf-gaming-x570-plus-wi-fi-socket-am4-usb-c-gen2-amd-motherboard-with-led-lighting/6356983.p?skuId=6356983

My last, hopefully, question is just about when everything finally shows up. I've always been a plug and play guy, but I keep hearing people talk about making sure settings are correct in the BIOS (RAM, Fan Curves? Etc.)

Is there a guide style thing to follow for -after- you build your PC on what you should do when setting it up? Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkestLite
Feb 27, 2007

"Can we fix it?"
"No, it's fucked."
Klyith really doing their part to save me from myself :v:

Alright I’ll stick with what I have coming. I’ve also heard about MSI Afterburner but that’s strictly over clocking right? I’ve never overclocked before and I likely won’t now, but maybe if my temps are good with the new desktop I can play around with it.

Thanks again!