Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fargom
Mar 21, 2007

charity rereg posted:

Hell yeah, Microcenter owns. I clicked your post history to see which build you were and saw you sold the game it came with too which is a great idea.

Ryzen 5 2600 + ASRock B450 PRO4 AM4 ATX + $50 16GB Newegg RAM at Microcenter is loving :eyepop: right now $215 + tax for the guts of a new system ($225 without a rebate). You could do a 1600 for under $200 after tax.

Yeah it's crazy. I'm planning on building a super basic 1080p gaming machine to bring to a buddy for a Christmas gift to his family. He has a 6/10 year old kids and no computer right now so I'm gonna throw together a 2600/b450/ system with some sort of GPU and surprise the hell out of them for super cheap since I'm close to the tustin CA microcenter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fargom
Mar 21, 2007
Personal opinion: The 3600x isn't worth considering, you get 2-3% more performance for $50.

I'd rather get the 3600 and spend the $50 on a scythe mugen rev b cooler, you won't notice the performance difference but you will notice the sound difference over the next 3-5 years.

fargom
Mar 21, 2007
That seems like a great deal, is it actually 18gb of ram? seems like it would be 16 in a 4x4 or 2x8gb configuration.

fargom
Mar 21, 2007

Its Coke posted:

Thanks. I think I'd like to get m2 if possible.

Are you sure about that? 16 GB is how much I have on my PC from 2013, and I tend to have a LOT of programs open at once even when I'm playing games

Yeah 16gb is the default recommendation, going to 32gb is still overkill if the machine is for gaming primarily. Think of it this way, the extra $100-120 you would spend on more ram would make a HUGE difference if you put it against the next step up for video card instead, or even if you throw it in a box labeled "big rear end cool monitor for later."

fargom
Mar 21, 2007
It's a generic warning because B450 boards predate the 3000 series ryzens, and as a result need a bios update before they will recognize a CPU like a 3600. The good news is that the Motherboard you selected is the MAX version, which is updated and already has the Bios you need.

Even if it wasn't a MAX version "most" of the older B450 stock has likely been flashed by the manufacturer already, however, PC parts picker will display the warning forever.

fargom fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Feb 5, 2020

fargom
Mar 21, 2007
Microcenter will generally slap a "ryzen 3000" sticker on the boxes to indicate that they have been updated, I bought a B450 Mobo from the southern california one months ago and it was already updated, I'd assume just about all of the stock on microcenter shelves has that sticker already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fargom
Mar 21, 2007

Severedseven posted:

Thanks! I don't really need wifi but I'd rather have the option of gaming.

Just to chime in the other cool thing is that Motherboards with built in WIFI also do bluetooth by default, so you can pair a controller or other bluetooth speakers, ect. It's a good thing to have if building new imo.