Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Don't ask, I don't know how to pronounce my name either.
I don't see a streaming or encoding thread and I didn't want to clutter up the sub-forum with this question.

I'm currently doing a single PC streaming setup, and I like the look of the Turing encoder on my 2080. But I feel like I'm running into resource contention though, as I'm downscaling from 1440p160 to 1080p60 with a 8K bitrate FTL (FTL is Mixer's low-latency UDP protocol)

When I first started I did a two-PC setup with NDI to the second PC for CPU encoding but it wasn't at the quality I wanted. But with Turing encoding, I think it looks great. I'm wondering if I throw a 1660 in the second PC and do NDI again if I'm going to see the same level of clarity as I do on the single PC setup.

I know one of the benefits of the new HEVC in the NVidia cards was that it doesn't have to go to RAM before going back to the same GPU, but I was wondering if I'll see the same encoding clarity if I offload it to another PC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Don't ask, I don't know how to pronounce my name either.

Scruff McGruff posted:

You could potentially put that 1660 in your current system and assign it to your streaming software as a dedicated encoder, no messing with NDI required (this assumes your motherboard and PSU could support another GPU). OBS lets you assign specific GPUs for encoding.

I did consider this but EposVox recently did a video disproving any benefit of doing this.