Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
If PC Parts Picker is showing a ~364W estimate, can I safely go for a 450W PSU? EVGA 450 GD, in this case

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

If PC Parts Picker is showing a ~364W estimate, can I safely go for a 450W PSU? EVGA 450 GD, in this case

Quoting myself just in case this got missed. This is the last thing I need before finishing my build.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Klyith posted:

Um, maybe? PCpartspicker's watt estimates often seem a bit low -- they say a 3600 draws 65W, which is the sticker spec but the CPU will definitely go over that with a good cooler. If you turn on PBO it'll go up to 100W or more easy. They give every video card the power draw of the base AMD/Nvidia model, when many of the pre-OCed models are easily 10-15% higher. OTOH you'll rarely max out both the CPU and GPU in real world activity, so the potential peak power use being 50W higher than the estimate isn't a normal occurrence.

So you've still got some headroom, except that pretty much all the load in modern PCs is 12V and the EVGA's 12V spec is only 432W not 450.

My conclusion: it'll be ok stock, but don't overclock your components. And if the case puts the PSU on the bottom, make sure the intake dust filter stays clean so it doesn't get hot.

(Also the EVGA GD isn't my favorite -- it's gold rated efficiency but uses inferior components compared to Seasonic Focus Gold or Corsair RM/TX, or other units units in EVGA's over-abundant "starts with G" product lines. If this is a budget build it's ok, but if you're spending over $1000 maybe think about something bit better.)

Thanks for the insight, it’s definitely a budget build plus a non-US market with fewer options. I’ll shop around a bit more and see if I can find a 550w option for peace of mind, though.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Klyith posted:

What's the actual CPU / GPU components? I may be able to give you a stronger OK with that.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/6h8Xp8

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Klyith posted:

Ok that's got much better thumbs up. A 2600X and a 580 are much closer to their max, versus something like a 3600 + 5700XT that also produces about 370 watts in their estimate but could get to the mid-400s with some OC.

Just remember that you don't have a ton of power headroom if you change things later -- that's not as big a deal as you might think since a better GPU like a 2600 Super doesn't use any more power than a 580.

Also, can you get the Cooler Master Q300L in your area instead of the 500? The 500 is a very bad case -- the way that it keeps the PSU inside the case means that hot exhaust is also inside the case with the components. The 300 is MATX like your motherboard and has a better layout.

Thanks a million for all your analysis. I'll price check a bit more to see if I can find a decent 550 psu and make my decision.

And yeah, I'm getting the Q300L, PC Parts Picker just didn't have that model in their DB. It was sort of a blind pick so I'm glad it was the right one!

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Hey, I finally got my PC built and I'm running an Asus b450 board. Should I just let Windows handle driver stuff or do I download Asus' utility?

Edit: also, my case has two front panel USB ports. One USB 3.0 and the other 2.0. To USB front panel connector is a thick, insulated cable for the USB 3 connector and a cheapish USB 2.0 connector which spliced off at the very end. Both are connected.

Long story short, anything plugged into the USB 3 front panel port will immediately hard lock the computer. USB 2 runs fine.

This is most likely a short somewhere on the front panel, right?

dpkg chopra fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jun 13, 2020

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

Just find the website for your motherboard and download the drivers individually from there. You typically only need to download the BIOS updates and AMD chipset updates. Though sometimes windows does the chipset automatically.

I downloaded and installed the latest chipset drivers available on AMD's website but if I go to Device Manager it still shows the ones Windows installed?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Klyith posted:

that's what it is supposed to use, you only need a special driver for storage if you're using RAID mode instead of ahci.

there's stuff in system devices and USB controllers that got updated, plus a power management plan. the USB controller in particular is why you needed to update, if your USB front panel still locks the PC it probably has a short or was mis-wired at the factory.

Got it, thanks!

It seems to be specifically an issue with the USB 3 port so I'll re set the cable and see if it still happens and if not I'll just unplug it and tape it shut for safety.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I built my new PC about a month ago and since day 1 I've been getting very random hard locks where the screen just goes to black (monitor light starts blinking) and I need to reset the PC.

Occasionally the Radeon Settings app will give me a message about my tuning profile being reset to default, but this has happened even with the default settings.

All signs point to something weird with the GPU, but this has happened both while at the Windows desktop and while running videogames so it doesn't look like it's a load issue.

I'd say the frequency is about once a day, on average.

Any tips on how to troubleshoot this? Just re set everything and pray?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Bofast posted:

What graphics card do you have?
I had similar issues (seemingly random hard locks to black screen, needing hard reboot) starting maybe 7-8 months ago and it was my Vega 56 GPU seemingly going bad after having worked fine for ~1 year. Swapped back to my old R9 390 and the problems went away completely, so I had to RMA the Vega card. If you have or can borrow another graphics card to try with, see if that helps.

It's a Radeon RX 580 so same-ish family, which doesn't bode well. Hopefully it won't get to that because the RMA process would be a bitch and I don't have a spare.

MikeC posted:

Are your Radeon drivers up to date? Radeon drivers were pretty bad up until Christmas time and I had these issues myself until then though not to the same regularity. You can try reinstalling regardless.

You can use the DDU tool to strip the driver out of windows and then run the latest install package again.

I'll check this, thanks!

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Bofast posted:

Yeah, I hope you don't need to do that.
For reference, this is what my reliability history looked like while I had the issues up until I swapped back to the old card. In hindsight, I should have tried that much sooner, though I had forgotten about the old card.

Woof, I'd never seen the reliability history, mine's pretty bad.

I've tried out a tweak suggested by some rando on the AMD forums who had a similar issue, we'll see if it works and if not I'll start looking into an RMA.

Thanks again.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Hey, in June I put together my computer: Asus B450M-A, Ryzen 2600x, Asrock RX 580 8GB.
Day 1 I had issues with the monitor randomly losing signal and the computer needing a hard reset about once a day or so. It was looking like I might have to RMA the card. This was happening with the latest drivers and the AMD Radeon software, both with stock settings and with undervolt tweaks, in games or at the Windows desktop, didn't matter.

About 3 weeks ago, I ended up using the AMD cleanup utility, removed the drivers, and instead of downloading the latest from the AMD site, I just used whatever Windows installed (version 26.20.12028.2 according to the Device Manager).

Computer has been rock solid since then, both in and out of the same games.

Now that I'm fairly sure that this is a driver issue, I was wondering if you guys had any sort of recommendations on how to start progressively installing newer drivers and failing back to a known good configuration if I start running into the same issues.

As much as I'd love to just keep everything as-is, I'm running into issues in some games that are apparently fixed in later revisions, and also ideally I'd like to undervolt the card since it runs way too hot at stock.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Friend of mine wants me to help him build a PC that'll be able to run Microsoft Flight Simulator X at max settings at 1080p.

Would something like this work? I've checked out some YouTube videos of people running similar setups and they were getting 30-50fps which seems playable.

I understand that the new Nvidia cards are coming out and he'll likely want to upgrade down the line.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($174.99 @ Walmart)
Motherboard: MSI B550M PRO-VDH WIFI Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($69.95 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($104.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6 GB OC Video Card ($239.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($49.89 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($118.95 @ Amazon)
Total: $868.75
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-08-20 18:52 EDT-0400

The Q300L case I chose because I know that he won't be OCing and he'll appreciate the more discreet form factor, but it's not really a requirement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Have been helping a friend build his first PC. I had him buy an MSI B550M PRO-VDH WIFI and a Ryzen 5 3600. The whole thing was a complete shitshow.

Computer wouldn't POST and kept throwing a CPU error. I had him take every component out, put everything together outside the case to rule out shorts, check the cpu for bent pins, nothing.

Turns out that it's a known issue with the board. If you're lucky, flashing the BIOS will solve it but it's not a sure thing. He got a Gigabyte Aorus and stuff is working fine now.

Figured I'd give a heads for anyone with a similar issue since I've seen the board in several people's builds.