Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

What country are you in? USA
What are you using the system for? Single player gaming, programming
What's your budget? ???
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? Don't have a display yet, but I want a 4k display, I want good-ish graphics but I don't care about >60 fps

I write Mac software for a living and don't currently have a Windows PC, though I've been wanting to get one for gaming, and quarantine boredom is pushing me over the edge.

I don't need portability but I have very limited space, so I want something compact. I don't want anything under the desk because I hate tripping on poo poo and worry about the dog knocking things over. Plus I just don't like it. So it needs to fit on a desk that's already somewhat crowded with various macs, a RAID enclosure, a printer, etc.

This is what I'm currently thinking:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($279.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X63 98.17 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($149.99 @ Best Buy)
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard ($229.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($68.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Corsair MP600 Force Series Gen4 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($379.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB VENTUS OC Video Card
Case: Cooler Master MasterBox NR200 Mini ITX Desktop Case ($79.99 @ B&H)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS SGX 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply ($136.69 @ Amazon)
Total: $1325.62
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-08-04 00:38 EDT-0400

Have I made any mistakes? The last time I screwed around with PC poo poo was 20 years ago. (What's the deal with neon lights and see through windows on everything? I tried to pick components that do *not* have a bunch of blinking lights, which was rather hard.)

I have the above items sitting in an Amazon list ready to click buy, but this is giving me pause:

MikeC posted:

If you are in the market for this kind of performance, you should wait till September or October and go all-in on next-gen. RTX 3000 series and AMD 6000 series will offer major performance boosts over the 2080 Super/Ti for much less.

Whatever those guys ship this year is going to cost a fortune, right? That's if you can even get your hands on it. I think I can just go with the above and think about next-gen in a year or two.

Also, I'm looking for recommendations on a monitor. I want something that I can share between the Windows PC and my MacBook Pro (so USB-C and DisplayPort inputs). This is what I'm currently looking at:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078GVTD9N/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

MikeC posted:

Yes, it will be a bit of a premium at launch but I also expect 2080s performance at or around current 2070S prices (maybe an early adopter scalper tax to go with it) with actual working ray tracing that doesn't destroy your FPS or force you to use DLSS if the game supports it. It might be hard to find, you might have to wait a bit after a launch to secure one but RDNA 2.0 is also launching at or a bit after Ampere with AMD's own implementation of ray tracing and ~50% improvement on the 5700XT at the sameish price point.

Interesting, I was expecting the new stuff to be $1k top-end monsters initially, but if I can get something in the same price range as what I was planning maybe I will wait.