Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

what's a good M.2 PCI-e expansion card? I only have one m.2 slot on my mobo and want to upgrade to more storage space, or add more storage space (ideally I'd like to connect two so I can just shadow the drive to the larger storage space)

Really hate having to reinstall windows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Anyone for my previous question?

Also new question: 1060->2070 super worth it?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Klyith posted:

PCIe -> M.2: whatever cheapest, they're passive cards that are just wires connecting 2 sockets. That one I linked has two sockets, only one does PCIe/NVMe. The other is sata-only and you have to connect a sata cable to it.

1060->2070S: I dunno, how much is $500 to you? Are you gaming at over 1080P? (if 1080, you really don't need a 2070)

I was looking at a few options and some of them had multiple slots but then assumed you were hooking them up all in raid, and I was hoping to just use the PCIE slot to give myself more m.2 slots via PCI-e and leave sata out of it.

My current board, B450-A PRO, only has 1 m.2 slot and it already automatically takes up loving two sata slots, which irritates me, especially since I didn't learn it did that until after I got everything hooked up

As for the question about 4k gaming, I just have two 1080p monitors atm and I usually game on one, but I was debating hooking up a third monitor and also doing streaming while also at max graphics or as close to it as possible (2700x cpu, 16gb ram) and some games that seems to be slightly out of reach for me.

I see 4k monitors for under $300 (https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16824236688) which seems reasonable.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Klyith posted:

Clearly laying out "this is what I have, this is what my problem is, this is what I want after the fix" is very helpful when asking these types of questions F Y I.

Well upgrading the mobo isn't really a great option, so basically what it comes down to is I'll have to upgrade to a bigger M.2 and just reinstall windows to the larger M.2, and think about multiple m.2 slots when I start looking into upgrading the mobo a few years from now.

IDK the difference between "sata m.2" and "nvme m.2", other than I hooked up my 970 EVO directly to the motherboard.

That being said, I'll probably look into a SATA controller card as you say.

Anyways, thank you, I thought I was clear but I'll aim to be clearer in the future.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

With a 2700x and a 650w gold EVGA power supply, with a few ssds, an AIO cpu cooler, will that be strong enough for a 5700 XT GPU?

Seems like running through a calculator I'd be looking at 500-540w output, so I'm thinking I need to upgrade the power supply

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

With a 2700x and a 650w gold EVGA power supply, with a few ssds, an AIO cpu cooler, will that be strong enough for a 5700 XT GPU?

Seems like running through a calculator I'd be looking at 500-540w output, so I'm thinking I need to upgrade the power supply

Anyone?

also

How much of a big deal is Static Pressure on AIO's really?

I got some replacement LED fans and they technically say they're case fans, I looked into it a little and they often say "high static pressure" fans are best for radiators, but then no one says what constitutes "high static pressure". I need specifics like 3.02+, not "high"

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Klyith posted:

Yes a 650W PSU is plenty for that. A high-quality 550W would be enough.

Static pressure on radiator blocks is enough of a deal that you want to think about it, but the difference isn't that huge between a dedicated high-SP fan and a decent middle-of-the-road fan. Mostly you just want to avoid a fan that's weak on static pressure.

Static pressure doesn't have any number rating. It could be measured and assigned a numeral scale, but there isn't a standard industry test. Plus CFM numbers are often fake as heck and that's a much simpler definition.

To get fans with more static pressure I think the general thing to look for is fans where the blades have less gap between them. And if the manufacturer says they're "high static pressure" that's good enough.

The fans don't have a huge gap but the vendor says they have a 0.96 static pressure, and cosair claims the H100i v2 fans have 4.5 static pressure. I don't know if that's weak or not. The blades have a much smaller gap than my stock case fans

reference:

edit: I guess my only way to be sure is to swap out the fans and run some tests :\

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Klyith posted:

Huh, I guess there is a standard of static pressure in inches or mm of water. I've never seen that on store pages for fans though, and it looks like it's also a thing where you have to calibrate against fan RPM -- a 2000 RPM fan weak static pressure can have the same number as a 1200RPM fan with good static pressure.

Anyways those apevia fans very much look like low pressure fans. And the fans that come with the corsair are going to be high pressure -- corsair makes dedicated high-pressure fans, their SP series.

I looked up what you suggested and they actually don't have high SP, even though that's their brand.

Corsair seems to have 3.0mm SP fans in their "LL" series, and next in line is their "HD" series at 2.25mm. They actually seem pretty acceptable even though the LL is 1.5mm? less SP than Corsair's claimed fans: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mb7n_b39F78

The "SP" series actually is barely better than the fans I listed at 1.46mm~ or so. I'm rather confused why corsair rated these fans so highly but then doesn't sell equivalent replacements.

Was trying to find an inexpensive set of white (not blue, not red, white) LED fans, and I guess either what it comes down to is I need to just replace the fans with these ones and see how it goes, or pay $130 for three LL120 fans, which is just unacceptably too expensive. I paid $17.95 for these fans and that was about the limit I'd pay for 3 led fans. :colbert:

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Jun 2, 2020

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

What's the max ram an MSI B450-A Pro can take without overclocking?

I have DDR4 2133 in there now, but was looking to upgrade a little and add more ram. Got a Ryzen 2700x in there now.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

By overclocking do you mean you want to avoid XMP? Because that's a pretty standard feature. I'd consider just dumping/seling the old ram and getting 3200mhz sticks.

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B450-A-PRO/Specification

According to the support page it supports up to 128 gigs of 3466mhz ram

I mean mean the ram type, I don't overclock anymore and I don't really care to do it.

I'll look into 3200 then.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Looking to get a 3070 since that seems like a juicy upgrade from my 1060 which is getting long in the tooth for some games. I was initially considering a 5700xt but that's 90% of the price and not quite as good.

Unless there's a cheaper card that would do locked 60FPS on Control, Metro Exodus, RDR2, GTA5, Witcher3, Shadow of War, etc on max settings...

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I'm trying to figure out which GPU I'm going to need for 1080p but it seems it's a pain in the butt right now since every review is 1440p and 4k.

I was looking at the 3070, and I want to be able to play

Control, Metro Exodus, and Cyberpunk 2077 on max settings, 60fps minimum 1080p. Hard requirements. Odyssey and RDR2 would be nice too.

I see lots of 1440p and 4k, but I don't have a 4k monitor, I have two 1080p monitors and I'd game on one. If I do upgrade my monitors, I'd get two cheapo 4k monitors, same situation.

$500 is asking a lot of my wallet unless it's a substantial upgrade over my 1060 (which I got for free). Leaning towards nvidia because of ray tracing but idk.

Any suggestions?

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Nov 19, 2020

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

njsykora posted:

Everything I've been told about 1080p (as I run the same thing with no plans to go to 1440p any time soon) is either stick with the 1060 which is still fine or get a 2060 when/if the prices start to come down if you're really after ray tracing.

I'm just not interested in playing a game unless the settings are on max.

Same reason I never finished playing kingdom come, because the 1060 is just too weak to make the game not look flat. Ultra looks good but it runs likes rear end.

TBH this and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qG5h3Ex2SQ8 make me want a 3070 for 1080p. I might suffer locking in 30fps if I play on 4k (as a treat)

I suppose it doesn't matter because they're out of stock everywhere, probably until next year :smith:

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Nov 19, 2020

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

sean10mm posted:

I plan on moving up to a 1440p monitor, but for now I'm running an RTX 3070 on my old 1080p60 monitor, and it never sniffs going under 60 in Control or Horizon Zero Dawn with everything turned up. With with ultra detail/ultra textures in HZD the bottom 0.1% FPS is like 90 or some poo poo. It is definitely a GIGANTC upgrade over a 1060, it absolutely exterminates my old 1070 which had to run HZD at medium + TAA to mostly hold 1080p60.

At 1080p your CPU starts becoming the limiting factor with an RTX 3070.

I have a 2700x. I saw some benches w/ a 2080ti and the diff between that and a 5900x or w/e was like 10-20 fps, I should be fine with this.
I'll need to buy a new PSU though too...poor trusty 550w :saddowns:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

So should you have a 650 or a 750 for a 3070,or will a 550 be fine?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

sean10mm posted:

The 3070 is like 220W stock, so it depends heavily on what your CPU is and if you're overclocking anything in there.

2700x stock with h100i v2 AIO
8x2gb dd4 2133 (cpu-z shows 2132?)
m.2 ssd 970 evo
two more regular SSDs
two external usb hdd
2 led fans on AIO, and 2 led case fans
MSI B450-a Pro

This is for a "NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 8GB GDDR6 PCI Express 4.0 Graphics Card - Dark Platinum and Black"

EDIT: actually im a loving idiot
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LYGFRL6/

I bought this about almost 2 years ago to the day for this current build :hampants:

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Nov 20, 2020

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Nohearum posted:

I hope you weren't joking when you recommended this approach. Case still hasn't arrived and I got impatient.

I laughed out loud legitimately at this

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Western Digital SN550 doesn't have as much speed as the 970 Evo Plus

However, $95 for a 1TB is sure tempting. 970 evo plus is going for about $50 more atm.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Would you upgrade from a H100i v2 to a Kraken x63?

I like the :swoon: rgb and it seems it's a quieter AIO

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

spunkshui posted:

Im going to make your life harder:

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Liquid-Cooling/iCUE-ELITE-CAPELLIX-Liquid-CPU-Cooler/p/CW-9060047-WW

If you like corsair’s softwear thats the newest poo poo they have for AIO on sale.

It even lets you plug all your case fans into it so they all react to water temps:

Comes with a “commander core.”

Mmmm that made me go down a path of how AIO tubes up front panel are bad way to put them, but the NZXT H500 can't mount AIO on top and if I put the AIO in front, it has to be tubes up, tubes down won't fit because the pipes are too short for the case size. Ugh. (H100i v2)

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Wrr posted:

Okay, with that in mind then, is there a reason to go for the more expensive Corsair option rather than the cheaper ones?

I trust corsair and have never heard of those other brands, but am I just tossing money away not going cheap?

It's fine. I have been using GSkill ripjaws 5 for 2+ years. oloy i hadn't heard before this year but i hear it's fine but ugly

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06VY6FXMM

APC 1500VA UPS is on sale right now for $115, lowest it's ever been for that price point, if you want to get one. I did, since my 650W APC battery is dead and it's from 15 years ago or something

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah this is why I'm going to end up going with a 3070 and a high refresh rate 1440p monitor for now, until a few years down the road when 4K monitors with a decent refresh rate aren't stupid expensive

This is what I did. I got a 3070 and an LG 27GL83A-B. needing a $1600 gpu to play in 4k would be fine if I was made of money

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

is there any good USB 3.1 gen 2 powered hubs out there?

I see ones with like, ten or fifteen ports but that's more than I need I only need like, 5-7

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

is there any good USB 3.1 gen 2 powered hubs out there?

I see ones with like, ten or fifteen ports but that's more than I need I only need like, 5-7

Anyone?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08GCKFZXS/

How good is Teamgroup?

$180 for 2tb 2.5" SSD sounds like a deal

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

lampey posted:

Getting a NVME drive like Muskin Pilot-e or Crucial P1/P2 would be 3-5x as fast in benchmarks with slight but noticeable difference in things like lightroom or running software that uses a database on disk. For gaming there would be no real difference except in load and install times between sata and nvme. If your motherboard supports nvme I would consider that.

But the Team group drive has trim, with the larger capacity drives it doesn't really matter if it has dram. It's a good price for what it is.

I already have a 500 gb 970 EVO Plus (PCI-e 3) and gonna get an PCI-e x4 adapter and stick it in my extra x16 slot (only have x1 slots otherwise) and shove a 1TB WD SN550 in it.

mostly the SSD would be to install games to, and MAYBE run Lightroom off of, rarely.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

What kind of CPU temps do you get on a 5800x on a H100i v2?

debating updating my AIO and getting a 5800x once MSI gets off their rear end

I guess I could get a new x570 but I balk at having to pay $250 for a mobo

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Looks like Amazon took down their listing for the SN550 m.2 ugh. I shouldn't have waited.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

change my name posted:

https://kotaku.com/amd-ryzen-5-5600x-review-6-core-gaming-beast-1845641801

This makes me feel not as bad for picking up the 3600 at $200 instead of waiting for the next generation. A 20% increase in gaming performance isn't worth the extra $100 imo

AMD's core performance for things that aren't gaming seems middling for 5600x and 5800x, unless you get into the threadripper super expensive cpu range.

30-50FPS increases between my 2700x (very slightly slower than your 3600 in most cases) and a 5600x is :eyepop: and makes me want one though.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Is it worth upgrading my 2600x to a 3600? I was eyeing that newegg link, or I could wait to see if I can get a 3600x or a 3700 for a reasonable price.

less than 5% improvement for software, and 10-20fps tops in most games in 1080p, not really sure that's worth the $200 or so.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

MSI updated for B450-A PRO boards to AGESA 1.1.

Update complete.

Now to wait for stock for 5600x or 5800x (would prefer 5700x tho)

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Snagged a 5600x, says it'll be here in 2 days???:banjo:

gonna shove this sucker in my MSI B450-A PRO board since the BIOS updates came out :bernin:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Would there be any major concerns in terms of reduced performance by getting a M.2 PCI-E card, and to stick it into the second 16x PCI-E 3.0 slot I have?

I only have 1 M.2 slot on my mobo and I want to add another

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Is there a reason you don't want to just run additional 2.5" SSDs? The cost would be so much cheaper.

Speed, mostly. I guess I could just get a regular SSD I suppose.

Also I was looking at 2TB which seems about $10 cheaper for a 2.5"

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Upgraded from 16->32gb

The system now uses less ram than before...

:negative:

constant 14gb/32 just idling/mining

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

one stick is bad
two new sticks
three good ram sticks

I shouldn't run these in non-DC mode, right?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Thom P. Tiers posted:

unless you desperately need the extra 1.5 seconds in your life or something.

Hey, that adds up you know. Rebooting every day would save me 9 minutes of my time a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Maybe it needs a BIOS update before it can take the 3600x

edit: looks like it should support zen2 out of the box
if it's not POSTing and the ram isn't bad (try 1 stick at a time) the mobo might be DoA

edit2: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/no-post-system-wont-boot-and-no-video-output-troubleshooting-checklist.1575220/

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Apr 13, 2021