Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meteor9
Nov 23, 2007

"That's why I put up with it."
My initial plan to build two new PCs here in Australia with my bonus check has fallen apart entirely due to me not actually making enough to get a check big enough to build one, let alone two. However I CAN afford to replace our GTX 750tis with the GTX 1660 Supers I was considering for the new builds anyway, and supposedly they're compatible with our old boards and CPU:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i3-4150 3.5 GHz Dual-Core Processor
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H97M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 Super 6 GB OC Video Card ($365.00 @ Shopping Express)
Total: $365.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-22 15:37 AEDT+1100

Now there's a sale at Centrecom on these cards with free shipping that ends tonight, so I guess I'm after any advice on whether or not this is a worthwhile move (or if centrecom is known garbage to any other aussies or not). Link to aforementioned sale.

Any advice? Or is this a waste of $670 AUD?

EDIT: I should note we do a lot of MMO gaming and a lot of digital art as well. Also mostly hoping this will get Monster Hunter World running at faster than a slideshow, it wasn't working on the 750ti but it might also be more a fault of the CPU as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meteor9
Nov 23, 2007

Thanks for that! I guess ultimately that leaves me with the question of what would be a better use of ~$330 per PC: Trying to get a stopgap CPU, or just getting the planned video card upgrade? My assumption is that this little cash doesn't really let me upgrade to a worthwhile CPU/mobo combo yet, but I also don't know if my limited CPU options would provide better results than the GPU.

E: Of course if I did replace the mobo/cpus would that require a new windows install? Not sure I can actually swing that currently.

EE: Still, if I DID go for that route instead of the GPU, how does this look?
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($192.82 @ Amazon Australia)
Motherboard: ASRock B450M-HDV R4.0 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($99.00 @ Centre Com)
Memory: Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($99.00 @ Mwave Australia)
Total: $390.82
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-22 17:00 AEDT+1100

meteor9 fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Nov 22, 2019

meteor9
Nov 23, 2007

Sadly just a total of $800 AUD, just feels like these systems are getting long in the tooth and I'm going a bit stir crazy on them since this'd be the first 'bonus' check I've ever gotten. The 750 Ti / i3-4150 combo worked alright back when we built these in 2014 but I was hoping I could do *something* or at least maybe piecemeal upwards over the next year or so. Not the best plan, I'm sure, but sadly it's all I got to work with.

Granted it was $1200 before but someone's Moto G 3e was dying horribly.

E. Didn't see that second reply! Yeah, probably just gonna hold off for now then, I was letting the whole "Black Friday Dealz!" thing overtake me.

meteor9
Nov 23, 2007

What country are you in? Australia
What are you using the system for? Gaming, Game production, music production, art production...lotta production really EDIT: Beginner level for all of that, mostly MMOs on the gaming front and maybe Monster Hunter World finally, etc
What's your budget? Under $1800 AUD
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? dual 1080p, 60hz

Alright, last year I attempted to scrounge up some kind of nightmare 600 dollar build or some crap that ended up being a terrible idea that we thankfully dropped.

This year is different. We have a budget resembling something a human would have. We're going to be building two of these, both with pre-existing sata SSDs and recently replaced cases:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($497.20 @ Newegg Australia)
CPU Cooler: Deepcool GAMMAXX 400 74.34 CFM CPU Cooler ($38.00 @ BudgetPC)
Motherboard: MSI B550-A PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard ($232.00 @ Skycomp Technology)
Memory: Team T-FORCE DARK Za 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory ($183.13 @ Amazon Australia)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($155.27 @ Amazon Australia)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6 GB VENTUS XS OC Video Card ($389.00 @ Centre Com)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($159.00 @ Mwave Australia)
Total: $1653.60
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-09-26 18:58 AEST+1000

I've been picking and choosing up and down the various parts for the last few months while waiting for this big nVidia/AMD october drop party thing to happen, but I am starting to wonder if it's actually worth waiting on the 3070 to drop considering we're doing everything 1080p anyway, and the Zen 3 stuff is basically a complete mystery to me at this point. The NVMEs are going to be the main drives, planning on porting over the data from our existing HDDs to do so, which I understand should actually work these days? Originally this was going with a 3600 but recent talk had me figure I'd just put the 3700x in there instead. Heck the CPU cooler might not even be necessary since I don't have any active overclocking plans so fill me in on that too. The 32gb ram has been the most fluctuating thing aside from jumping around on 1660s as the different brands vary in price, so any insight there would be nice also.

So I guess what I'm really looking for here is either any changes that might work out more economically without costing performance, or if I should keep waiting to see what happens with the new products. The 750 tis and i3-4150/i5-4590 are really starting to struggle these days, so it's making me antsy, and while I do kinda want to play with RTX stuff, if the 1660 super should be good for a good number of years I'm willing to skip goofy lights in Quake.

meteor9 fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Sep 26, 2020

meteor9
Nov 23, 2007

Vir posted:

Your case lacks a USB Type C front panel connector, even though your motherboard has a header for it. If you're spending that much on the motherboard, I would at least have a case which can take full advantage of the USB 3.2 headers.

I'm not too fussed on the USB-C at the moment, so I'm open to recommendations on cheaper 550s on that front. I seem to recall picking this one based on various recommendations I've seen over the months and something about VRAMs needing shielding?? EDIT: oh hey you did while i was slowplying, thanks!

Vir posted:

Get a couple more front intake fans for the case. The stock CPU cooler is adequate but audible at full load, so getting an aftermarket cooler is typically a good choice if you're not exclusively gaming with headphones or only occasionally loading the CPU - but then why go for 8 cores.

Got two intake fans up front already in both, luckily, but they are the ones that came with the cases, but I'm hoping that's sufficient for non-overclock stuff.

Vir posted:

If you're thinking about music production, I'd consider getting a USB audio interface with XLR and balanced input, mic monitoring and stuff like that. EVGA makes a PCIe sound card, but that's a very weird product in this day and age.

If your production work involves 3D rendering, I would also consider upgrading the GPU in the future. The 1660 Super is great for 1080p gaming though. The 650 watt PSU should be enough for even a 3080, so if you decide to go in that direction later, you can do that. If you're going to go dual GPU for rendering you might need a bigger GPU, but over-spending on everything just because of what you might upgrade later is silly.

The music 'production' is most likely just gonna be messing around with loops in DAWs and trackers, as I don't have any instruments or anything to really make use of. Or, uh, ability to play them. It's just on there to cover my bases really. As for the graphical side of things, I mostly just do digital art, and our game making plan is entirely 2D right now, so I'm probably comfortable with the setup in that regard. The 3070 is the only newer card that's reliably close to our budget so that's the main piece we'd be waiting to pull the trigger on. Or MAYBE some cheaper 20x0 supers or something if that actually happens.

EDIT2: Swapped in the Steel Legend there since it has the audio ports for my 5.1 speaker situation, which means back to the QVL mines for a while, unless there's no reason to worry about changing out what's on the list?

meteor9 fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Sep 26, 2020

meteor9
Nov 23, 2007

Any particulars to watch out for on these three options? It's kinda silly for me to want the audio ports so much but if I've already got the speakers I may as well continue using them.

https://au.pcpartpicker.com/product/TR848d/asus-prime-b550-plus-atx-am4-motherboard-prime-b550-plus
https://au.pcpartpicker.com/product/hrCFf7/asus-tuf-gaming-b550m-plus-micro-atx-am4-motherboard-tuf-gaming-b550m-plus
https://au.pcpartpicker.com/product/39LwrH/gigabyte-b550m-aorus-pro-micro-atx-am4-motherboard-b550m-aorus-pro

EDIT: actually wait the difference at this point is like ten bux off my original pick and I'm almost willing to spend that to just not have to re-lookup QVL codes, Aussie pricing is fun!

meteor9 fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Sep 26, 2020

meteor9
Nov 23, 2007

Are in-window ACs even a thing in Australia? I've never seen a sliding window in the decade I've been here, and the equivalent to Home Depot here only sells split-system style.

meteor9
Nov 23, 2007

Okay, final build before I pull the trigger: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/jwkdXb

What country are you in? Australia
What are you using the system for? Gaming, beginner video game production (2D unity and basic DAW/midi/loop stuff for music), art and illustration
What's your budget? $1600-$1800 per system, getting 2.
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? 1920x1080 60hz, two monitors each build.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($509.00 @ Centre Com)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T4 70 CFM Rifle Bearing CPU Cooler ($45.00 @ Centre Com)
Motherboard: MSI B550-A PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard ($229.00 @ Centre Com)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($199.00)
Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($159.00 @ Centre Com)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6 GB VENTUS XS OC Video Card ($369.00 @ Centre Com)
Case: Cougar MX330 ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $0.00)
Power Supply: Cooler Master MWE Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($129.00)
Total: $1639.00
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-10-22 14:44 AEDT+1100

This is all based on choosing from a single store to keep shipping and returns simple. The manual prices are on the store page but not updated on partpicker, and both PCs already have less than 1 year old cases to move into and a 500gb or 1tb sata SSD as a secondary drive.

Now as far as I can work out this all looks like it's perfectly fine? The PSU has some reviews claiming it's too expensive for what it offers vs competing stuff, but the products they claim to be the same price are all like $50+ more expensive so I think this thing may have had a price drop in it's past. It's this one if it helps: https://www.centrecom.com.au/cooler-master-mwe-gold-650w-power-supply

Any issues here? I was waiting on the 3000/5000 releases this month to figure out what I should do, but neither line is within our budgets at this point, and if that ever changes we can upgrade in the future. Honestly as long as the 1660 Super will get Doom Eternal up to par that's about as 'modern' as my games get these days.

EDIT: Got handed a deadline so I've gone and purchased this already. Follow up reviews on the PSU seem to mention that there may be a DOA issue with them, but that also might only be the modular version which isn't this one. And most-if-not-all of the other parts were previously covered in this very thread so I think this was a safe trigger to pull this time.

meteor9 fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Oct 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meteor9
Nov 23, 2007

Had one of these Cooler Master Hyper T4 cpu fans for my recent 3700x/1660s build, and while one of the two systems is still running it fine, mine suddenly died the other day, with a bit of odd oil-like moisture on the fan once I took it out. I dropped in the stock cooler, and honestly it's been pretty nice? No louder than it was before, if anything, and while the RGB is a bit goofy it's kinda nice.

Er, right. The Hyper T4, any other odd experiences with it? I'm wondering if I should bite the bullet and just swap out the other tower's as well.