Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I'm casually waiting to grab a 5600x while I wait for my case to come off backorder. I'm going from an i7 3700 to a 5600x, very excited to see what ten years of advancement in processors looks like :v:

ShowTime posted:

How hard is it to update the BIOS on a motherboard? This mb https://www.newegg.com/msi-mag-x570-tomahawk-wifi/p/N82E16813144310?Item=N82E16813144310 is very highly recommended but doesn't look to be ready for 3rd gen Ryzens. The listing itself and what others have said (pcpartpicker comments) have said the BIOS update was as easy and downloading the updated BIOS on a usb drive and plugging it in. Anyone have any experience with this mb and updating the bios for new Ryzens?

I was looking at the exact same mobo; my understanding is that you make sure to have your USB in fat32 and install the BIOS in the root of the usb and you shouldn't have any other problems.
e: what the gently caress is up with mobos having fans like, right where the graphics card is going to be? No I don't want hot air blown directly at my graphics card thanks

Grapplejack fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Dec 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

I believe this is the current recommendation in the monitors thread for 27'' 144 HZ

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YGZL8XF/?coliid=I1XC1SUUK4DHZG&colid=2QYW00P7FY36H&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

A lot of people online have been talking up the Gigabyte M27Q as being an incredibly strong entry in the budget monitor category and I've been thinking about getting it from the specs

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

So here's a question: What do I do with my old computer now that I've built a new one? The parts in it are like 6-7 years old. Do I sell parts of it? Where would you do that? Do I just throw it out? Are there places you're supposed to put computer parts?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

spunkshui posted:

See if there are any local highschool robotics teams in your area.

https://www.thebluealliance.com/teams

We still have some core 2 quad machines being used by our team that are still worth using so whatever it is im sure a team would use it.

FRC teams love donations.

Nothing like this in my area unfortunately.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

GPU might be a hot commodity right now.

I usually transfer the data and either convert it into an office-lite/netflix computer for friends/family or donate it to local schools, who usually have a computer lab that likes to take stuff like that apart.

If you're going to bin it, your local municipality should have a drop point for electronics disposal. If you're donating, make sure to wipe the drives and zero them out.

I think I'll look for the disposal, I kept the HD so it should be fine. I don't think the i7 3700 or the 8 year old ram will help anyone lol

e: I have a corsair 750w bronze that might be worth like $40, I've never had issues with it.