Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
re: the dual-monitor oddities. I understand people have had issues with mis-matched refresh rates causing problems, but has that ever happened with differing resolutions? I'm going to get a 1440p/144hz main monitor soon but am hoping to keep using my current 1080p/60hz monitor as a secondary, and maybe eventually replace that with a 1080p/144hz.

Would the former set-up (1440p/144hz + 1080p/60hz) be more liable for issues than the latter (1440p/144hz + 1080p/144hz)? Or am I unlikely to see any issues with either?

edit I suppose GPU really comes into it as well, as well as g-sync/freesync? The new monitor is going to be freesync, but my old monitor is barebones. Also for reference I'm going to be getting a RTX 2070 Super, currently on a RX 480

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

orange juche posted:

Most graphics cards that are moderately capable of gaming are able to drive any sensible or insensible number of displays simultaneously. You can have any mix of resolutions you wish, as well, with no real issues. Refresh rates should cap at the rates of the respective panels, unless you have variable refresh rates, and there you will run into issues likely on a case by case basis. I havent ever gotten variable refresh rates to work consistently with my GSYNC monitor, when combined with a plain 60hz 1080p monitor, but that may be just a me thing.

Klyith posted:

The issues with multiple monitors are strictly with different refresh rates. Also the root of these problems tends to be with the DWM, the part of windows that draws all the 2d windows and desktop. DWM is perfectly fine with different resolutions, refresh rate is what it wasn't really designed to handle. This is why the weirdness is on both nvidia and AMD, though different flavors of weirdness with each.

Having different refresh rates can trip up DWM in various ways, mostly when playing video or playing a game, and especially doing both at the same time. If you like to play a game on screen 1 and a video on screen 2, it's best to just set both screens to 60hz and forget about VRR.

Also multiple refresh rates had a bug in the nvidia driver where it locker into high-power mode rather than the idle low-power mode it normally uses in 2d windows. This was annoying, but afaik has been fixed.

Variable Refresh Rate (aka G/FreeSync) compounds these problems because now it's not just out-of-sync refresh but variable. Using VRR really wants a game to be in exclusive fullscreen mode, not windowed or borderless windowed. If you like to alt-tab and have the game stay up, just don't use VRR. The reason for this is when in windowed mode the DWM is still involved, and DWM was not designed for VRR. Gsync allows games to use VRR while not fullscreened but it's very much a kludge.

Thanks for the info, guys. I never really have anything playing on my second monitor - it's just for work most of the time - and I always run games in fullscreen mode, because old habits die hard. So it sounds like I'll be ok for now

EDIT or not if Klom's right lol, ah well

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

I'm going to get a new case (Gamemax F15M) soon, and will be transplanting my current setup into it - briefly:

MSI Tomahawk Max B450 board
Corsair 3000 DDR4 RAM (can't remember exact model, doesn't matter)
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 CPU
Arctic Freezer 34 eSports Duo CPU cooler
MSI Gaming Trio RTX 3070
EVGA 550w G3 PSU

I'm really happy with this setup as a whole, except for the current performance of the Arctic cooler. My 3600 idles at 47c and Prime95 will push it up into the mid 80s, in a room with an ambient temperature of maybe 10c at the moment. This seems to be in-line with the performance of the stock cooler. The fans run at 1200-1300 rpm at all times to maintain that idle temp, obviously spinning up a lot more under load or when the 3600 has one of its random power surges. The CPU fan is easily the loudest thing in the case, and the random revs really get on my nerves.

It's bugged me since it was first installed, but my friend did that set up for me and getting the drat thing attached was a PITA, so I've never gotten round to doing anything about it, but I figured I'd take the opportunity while the mobo's out of the case to explore my options.

Is it possible it was installed incorrectly? Perhaps with not enough thermal paste, or perhaps it hasn't been sufficiently screwed down? My current case has pretty reasonable ventilation and my 3070 idles between 30-35c, so it seems unlikely that the problem is in the overall air flow. I've been thinking about getting an AIO instead - probably the Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240mm or a similarly priced 240mm. I'm hoping it'll be quieter overall, also easier to install, and will leave space for future RAM expansions if I feel like it. Also this PC does travel from time to time and I get a bit antsy about this giant lump hanging off the side of my motherboard. Also it'll look neater overall, I think.

However, I've gotten really mixed messages on the desirability of AIOs over decent (or even half decent) air cooling solutions from what I've read, at least unless they're 360mm beasts.

So, to summarise, I think my current options are:

1) Take the current cooler off, buy decent thermal paste and re-apply, try to ensure it's mounted properly if it isn't already, and see if that's any better
2) look into getting an AIO, which will hopefully be cooler but more importantly quieter. Possibly Arctic Liquid Freezer II, or maybe a Cooler Master or even a Gamemax (they seem to be a pretty decent brand so far, the case I'm getting has gotten rave reviews for a budget case). 240mm is the official limit for the case for top mounting, although I saw a video where the guy managed to juuust about bodge an Arctic 280mm in (which I also understand is bigger than a regular 280mm)
3) Buy a different air cooler and hope I have better luck next time
4) Do nothing. Transfer everything as is and hope that the two 200mm fans on the new case will help the situation overall.

Any thoughts? Overall I value quietness over super low temps, but I do also think I should be doing a lot better than 47c idle on a 3600.

EDIT apologies if this would be better put in the water cooling thread

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Nov 24, 2020

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

change my name posted:

The 3600 typically idles in the 30s with the stock cooler, ime

Eesh, then something is definitely hosed up here, then

Honestly, I'm breaking towards just getting the Arctic 240mm AIO anyway, because it's neat (in both senses of the word), and it'll be something different. I'm not really in this for hyper cooled OC or whatever, so a few degrees difference between varying methods and models isn't really my priority. Having something quiet and at least cooler than whatever the heck's going on with the current situation would be good, and not having this hump hanging off my mobo and taking it on car journeys is probably preferable

Thanks to everyone so far for your contributions, though, you've been really helpful!

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Nov 24, 2020

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

KingKapalone posted:

Can someone who knows more about RGB fans help me out please? I have an MSI B450A-Pro (non-MAX) which says it has 1 x 5050 RGB LED strip 12V connector.

These fans https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B081F47CNY/ say they have come with a few options: 3-pin rgb controller, 3-pin rgb splitter, 4-pin 3- way fan splitter, 3 pin rgb adapters. Would I be able to hook these up and control the LEDs with the least amount of bullshit possible?

You won't be able to control them with the motherboard (and therefore via software). 12V 4-pin is regular analog RGB, 5V 3-pin is digital addressable RGB, and are essentially completely incompatible. You'll be able to control the LEDS with the controller, though, and you'll still be able to plug the fans into the motherboard.

If you want to control RGBs with software you'll need to get regular RGB fans.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Basticle posted:

Hello, last February I built this PC with the intention of getting a 1440p monitor and new video card once the 3000 series come out.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor
Motherboard: ASRock B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6 GB OC Video Card
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

+ a 3-4 year old Samsung 850 Evo SATA

Will that PSU be fine for a 3060 Ti? Most calculators say I'd only need like 380w-400w or so, despite nvidia recommending 600

And how critical is it to replace that SSD with a NVME drive (if at all)?

I'm running a 3070 and 3600 with a 550w PSU and it's working perfectly well, I'd say you're good

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Farecoal posted:

I bought all the parts for my new build yesterday, but noticed the Ryzen 5 3600 on my parts list was slightly more expensive ($335) than a Ryzen 7 3700Z ($329). Were both of these prices rip-offs?

The former an awful lot more than the latter, you done got shafted for that 3600

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Yeah I never would have considered a new PC if not for the pandemic.

I too have spent money I didn't need to on endlessly tinkering with my admittedly perfectly adequate machine.

Actually sticking to lockdown rules leaves you with precious few things to really spend your discretionary funds on.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

spunkshui posted:

This is me.

I started the pandemic with a half broken 450D case that had ancient fans running to knobs. My wife had a 40$ box filled with fans that sat on the floor.

No rgb on either case.

Then she got a job and the government gave us money so of course we had to do the right thing and stimulate the economy.

New fans, new cases, new PSUs, I even have case lights now.

You have no idea how hard the daily battle is to not drive to micro center and get a 9900k.

The main thing stopping me is how depressing it already is to watch my 9600K @5ghz get bottlenecked by the 1070.

The 144hz monitor is the real reason the GPU market is on fire.

We got the 1070s when we only had 60hz displays.

The advent of the affordable 1440p 144hz panel was admittedly a big driver in my overhauls. And man, I have to say that 144hz especially is the biggest QOL upgrade since SSDs

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Just barreling in with an update (if anyone remembers, but y'all were really helpful) - I was the guy having trouble with the Arctic esports duo that was making my 3600 idle at 50c and was looking for options. Went with the Arctic Freezer II 240mm AIO in the end, because the pc case moves around a lot and because it seemed like fun, frankly. Also changed case to a Game Max F15.

Man, this is amazing. I hosed up the aio install first time round (the instructions were garbo) which led to a scary moment when I booted and the cpu was idling at 90c(!), but once I fixed it, it idles at 29c. It's also SO quiet, goddamn. Between the aio and the massive fans on the case, it's barely noticeable, and even when I'm gaming, if I put my hand on the top vent of the case (where the aio radiator is) the exhaust is actually cool. I know I'm not exactly running a threadripper, but still, this is so cool (literally). I used to warm my feet next to my old case lol.

The esports duo must have been incorrectly installed or faulty, to be fair. Still, can heartily recommend the Arctic Liquid Freezer II, lovely instructions notwithstanding. Very happy all round.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Serperoth posted:

This may be a bit of a silly question, but, well, no bad questions.

If I buy my SSD now and install Windows on it using a different machine, then transplant it into the new build when all the parts come in, would Windows have any issue? Legit license and all, I just remember a few years back that if the configuration changed between the original installation and what you currently have, you'd run into issues

Tbh even if it does spit the dummy you can get a new windows licence in SAmart for :10bux: so I shouldn't worry either way

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Boxman posted:

Also, if this is your first clean install in ages, you'll be happy to use Ninite to install the free programs you know you'll need.

Just the other day I was wondering if there was a utility out there like this, awesome.

I can't make command prompt come up and while this isn't a huge deal I can't figure out how to fix it short of a clean install, but couldn't be bothered with that. Now I can

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

enojy posted:

Not what I was hoping to see!

At least this was easily caught before I even attempted to install it. Seems to have leaked someplace between the inline pump and the heatsink/part that attaches to the CPU. This was going to be my first foray into water cooling in something like 20 years of PC building, and needless to say, I am now a lil scared.

Returning this and going with... well, a Corsair case & AIO kit from the local Best Buy, whatever man. (I thought Corsair was known for good RAM? ...in the 90s?) I just don't want to RMA anything else through the mail that involves liquids and radiators!

If you can find an Arctic Freezer II AIO I can highly recommend it. They're quiet and perform amazingly well, I'm really glad I went with one. No rgb if you care about that, but otherwise it's the best on the market

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Can confirm I'm running a 3600 and an aftermarket 3070 on a 550w and it's been perfectly stable (and with the latter running on only one rail at that)

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

That said I have an Arctic Freezer II Liquid Cooler 240mm on my 3600 and it's brilliant. Maybe it could be considered overkill for my use case, but it was only £75, keeps my cpu idling at 29c and tops out at 55c with prime95, and is really really quiet 95% of the time. And it looks awesome. Also this PC gets moved around a fair amount and having a huge copper block hanging off my mobo was making me a bit nervous.

So if you do want an AIO just because, don't overpay for worse products, get this one. Unless RGB is an absolute must-have for you.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Oh yeah there's tons of ways to get around it but when I do wind up travelling in a car it's with three other people and lots of stuff, so the PC usually gets strapped in the middle of the backseat upright, like a child.

The reason I went with the AIO is a) the travel thing, b) I was really displeased with the temp and noise performance of the Arctic 34 esports duo I previously had - but, in hindsight, it had been badly mounted by my friend, rather than being a bad cooler (whoops), and c) it looks really neat. Even if 'a' isn't a big deal and 'b' was based on a mistake, I still got 'c', and also it cools really, really well and really, really quietly.

I think I'm firmly in the camp that virtually no-one needs an AIO, but if you do want one (and that's fine, it's also not, like, a big mistake to get one), get the Arctic Liquid Freezer II (with rad size of your choice). It outperforms far more expensive AIOs easily in every metric.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Yeah, if I was doing another build I would for sure pick a different cooler. I got it because it was kind of the default one. Contemplating replacing it with a liquid cooler now because I’m bored and the thing is huge.

Jumping in with the Arctic Freezer Liquid II recommendation if you do go the AIO route. It's performing like a dream for me, very quiet, very cold. Get the biggest radiator you can fit in the case, but the 240mm one is doing great for me.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Bought the 280mm since I have a ton of room at the top of my case. Thanks for the recommendation!

Awesome, hope it works out for you! Let us know how you get on

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

roomtwofifteen posted:

Someone talk me out of feeling like I need an X570 motherboard (esp a Tomahawk) for a 1440p gaming-only rig, likely with a 5600x and a 3070 or 3080 when I can get my hands on those.

I know I can probably do fine and save money with a B550 but my brain isn’t letting me.

I hear the chipset fan is actively irritating

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

The Grumbles posted:

In my experience, the kinds of games where your high esports refresh rate might make a difference (and be noticeable) will be optimized for and consistently hit144hz anyway - games like Valorant, etc. Graphically lush single player games may well hover at around 100fps, which will still feel nicer than 60, but you probably wont feel like you need to hit max framerate. So a 3070 is honestly absolutely fine. Most of the time, I only know that I'm not hitting max framerate because there's a FPS counter in-game telling me so.

To be honest, the main way that 144fps feels really nice is genuinely just in your day to day browsing. Your mouse/windows/scrolling/etc glides around the screen in a way that both makes an appreciable difference, and makes it very hard to go back to a 60hz monitor.

Hard agree on all of this. Like, I get 90~ fps at max settings at 1440p with RDR2 on my 3070 and it's great. It's beautiful and buttery smooth. I really don't think I'd be able to tell the difference after about 120 fps anyway, to be honest. 3070 is a real good 1440p/144hz card.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

It’s the actual radiator that doesn’t fit where I want it to fit, it’s too thick. The case has 360mm of space I could use on the front but I would prefer to keep the three 120mm fans the case came with as intakes.

Ah jeez, I'm sorry to hear this man. The Arctic II's radiator is a bit thicker than most AIOs, which is part of why it's so quiet and cool, IIRC. It didn't occur to me to mention it since you said you had 'loads' of room and I had no particular problem fitting the 240mm into my not particularly massive case.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Tactical Grace posted:

Hi guys I'm a total pc noob but am realising buying a prebuilt is a saner idea due to the GPU situation.

What did you guys think about this one: https://www.gladiatorpc.co.uk/configure/config/72737

?

Is it reasonable/should I tick any of the upgrade options/upgrade after/not bother buying at all?

It'd just be a fun time pc for me really.

If you can afford that then there are a lot of nice parts in there. I have a very similar set up (B450 board, 3600, RTX 3070, even the F15 case) and I am very happy with all of them.

In a sane world it's very overpriced, but on the other hand, when an RTX 3070 alone is selling for £950 on ebay and it's impossible to buy one at MSRP, then it's up to personal tolerances.

I guess the PSU is only bronze rated, which isn't great, though. Also the SSD is pathetically small, and the HDD probably isn't necessary unless you store a lot of local media. I would personally swap out the SSD for a 1TB M2 NVME drive, and if you really wanted an HDD I'd plump for at least a 2TB one, since the price difference 1TB and 2TB isn't massive. I'd also change that PSU to a gold rated one, you could get away with the 650w easily (I do fine on a 550w). But that pushes the price up to around £1600.

Basically, it's your money, y'know?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

3600 comes with a stock cooler, although it's not great

e: f,b sorry

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Admiral Snackbar posted:

So I've been waiting for almost a week for Cooler Master to get back to me about the Hyper 212 Evo V2 not fitting properly on my MSI B550 and have not heard a word yet. Their site says they're experiencing problems with their support ticketing system but I'm getting tired of waiting. Is there another CPU cooler the thread would recommend for a 5600x on a B550?

Scythe Mugen and Arctic Freezer 34 Duo are pretty popular and often recommended ITT

They're both going to be a lot easier to install than the 212 as well, as I understand it

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Yup. There's also the Fuma 2 which has two fans but costs slightly more. Either is going to be better than the 212 and much, much easier to install

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

I really like mine. I've only got the 240mm version but it's extremely quiet and cool.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

zgrowler2 posted:

So I'm building a PC based on my last post here and I've run into an issue with installing the CPU cooler (Ryzen 5 3600 stock). Apparently the motherboard (ASRock AB350M Pro4) is an Amazon refurb and despite being "inspected by Amazon" did not come with the mounting brackets or backplate for the cooler! Not something I was aware I'd need, since the installation instructions for AM4 socket Ryzens have an option for bracketless coolers, but we're here now. Got a freefloating cooler on top of a CPU that I can't screw in. Mobo was a gift, so contacting a vendor for a bracket is out. I need a cooler (with brackets and backboard) and probably some new thermal paste. Are there any decent aftermarket options that won't break my bank?

Scythe Mugen or Fuma, or Arctic Esports 34 Duo are all solid options

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Scythe-Scmg-5100-Computer-Cooling-Black/dp/B06ZYB8K77
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Scythe-Fuma-Heatsink-Twin-Tower-Design/dp/B07QMK5R45
https://www.amazon.co.uk/ARCTIC-Freezer-eSports-DUO-Configuration/dp/B07MC8CRVZ

EDIT the Scythes are probably easier to install for what it's worth

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Mar 20, 2021

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

I kind of figured, between the AIO and the card being semi-blower most of the heat is directed straight out of the case and I set very aggressive (belligerent, even!) fan curves. Temps are/were just the one thing I have left where I can dick around and have objective results, and I love seeing how far I can push stuff. I guess I’ll just fix up my cables and do my RGB, thanks. Maybe when computer part prices are sane again I’ll go into business building bespoke custom stuff as a hobby.

E:Time spy stress test has me holding steady at 56 degrees GPU and 48 degrees CPU, I don’t think I’m improving on this. I’ll probably make a benchmarking/dumb optimizing thread here in the next few days though, I can’t be the only one who thinks this stuff is weirdly fun.

Nah it is fun for sure.

Maybe you can work on noise instead, if you're bored? Try and make the quietest box possible instead of just the coolest

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

CoolCab posted:

yeah i don't mean to oversell it or whatever but the absolute first thing i would recommend to anyone is "make sure your OS is on your fastest drive"

Not to empty quote, but yeah, this.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Ramadu posted:

hello, me again

I'm tryin to figure out if a cooler will fit in a case and I cannot seem to tell because i am an idiot baby

I'm trying to see if the ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 280 will fit in a Fractal Design Meshify 2 Compact or if I would have to get the Fractal Design Meshify 2

please help I am so indecisive about big purchases

spunkshui posted:

I like to try to find a YouTube video of someone building in the computer case I’m about to buy.

Look for somebody using that same case basically any 280 water cooling AIO and really tall obnoxious RGB ram see if they have any problems.

If you’re going to rock short ram then it’s probably less of an issue.

Some cases have your fans hang over the motherboard and some cases allow you to keep your fans completely above the motherboard.

Corsair 500D for example is a very tall case and that’s what I went with over the 4000 airflow series thats more popular and newer because it has very poor top AIO clearance.

I don't know much about cases but OP it's worth bearing in mind that the Arctic AIO radiators are slightly thicker than those made by other companies. So it's not one to one.

EDIT - here's the specs, you'll need to add the size of the fans and the radiator together I guess?

https://www2.arctic.ac/liquidfreezer2/liquid-freezer-280-en/

EDIT EDIT - lol it seems the radiator thickness isn't actually listed on there? I dunno. I'm sure somewhere around the internet will have the specs

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Apr 5, 2021

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

You want a B550 motherboard, whatever floats your particular boat there according to your own particular needs. If you're keeping the case it'll need to be a micro ATX board. You'll also want some DDR4 ram, I believe 3600 mhz works best with that processor. Other people will be able to tell you more there, I think.

Depending on how long ago "ages" is, you probably do want to replace the PSU.

That's all you need to get a basic working system - mobo, cpu, psu, ram, and whatever storage you have atm. If you got any more specific questions then shoot

EDIT - this stuff isn't going to run you a thousand quid and there's not much point buying a super fancy motherboard or whatever, so no need to go nuts. Whatever money you have left from that thousand would be best kept back for a GPU once prices and availability stop being completely insane

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Apr 8, 2021

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

neogeo0823 posted:

Welp, that settles that then; Don't worry about it as it's not something I'm really going to need. Thanks for the info!

CoolCab posted:

no problem! :) i have a chip that's very similar to that (the 3300X) and i found that while the stock cooler is absolutely adequate you will see some performance increase even with a cheap aftermarket cooler. a close friend was kind enough to give me his arctic esports duo (barry is the man) when he upgraded to an AIO and i can highly recommend it, even though mounting it was a PITA lol.

:hfive:

On the other side of the equation I really like my Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240mm, it's cool, quiet, and (most importantly of all) looks pretty awesome. But honestly it's not necessary, I was just experimenting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

pumped up for school posted:

+1 thanks here! I was on a conference call, watching my home pc die in the background, when I read your post and just punched "buy" with the upgraded processor and drive. I kept telling myself when I could find something halfway decent under $1k I'd buy but expectations and reality not going to meet this year, I don't think.

If you find a cooler that you like and can recommend, please let me know!

CPU cooler? Standard recs are Scythe Mugen or Fuma, or Arctic eSports Duo. Scythe ones are easier to install, apparently