Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Hey gang, plotting a build I'll probably do early next year. A friend who knows a little more about computers than I suggested I do a clean install of windows on my next system, prior my plan was to just pop in my same old SSD and go.

Parts will be cannibalized from old system to new one. Notably the RAM and graphics card and afformentioned SSD with Windows 10. Current processor is a Intel i5 6500, next processor will be intel as well, I haven't decided on that yet. Current and new motherboard will be MSI, I had to RMA my previous motherboard and they were great so I'm sticking with them.

Sorry if I'm leaving out critical info.

I was able to swap motherboards (I went from a b150 pc mate to a h270 pro) with zero issues other than having configure fans in the config menu. So is a clean install of windows necessary or beneficial?

Thanks in advance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Hello all,

Just a few (hopefully) basic questions. Looking at a new budget build and seeing where I can save time and money.

1. If I have zero plans to overclock my processor will the heat-sink that comes in the box be sufficient? With case fans of course. To note; the case is out in the open with good airflow.

2. Do power supplies need to be replaced? If I am swapping parts around and the power needs don't really change, would it be ok to keep the same power supply? Current power supply was installed 2016.

3. What's a good Intel processor for a modest gaming rig? Sub $200 please. I am currently rocking an i5-6500 and I think it's beginning to show its age. I am deadset on Intel please don't try to convert me to AMD.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

I can't find the manufacturer name but according to my parts list its a "600w standard 80 plus bronze"

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

GPU inquiry;

I'm rocking a newly built PC with some carry over parts from my old rig. Notably the gpu is a MSI 1050ti, I think its time to upgrade.

CPU: AMD 5 Ryzen 3600
Mobo: MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max
RAM: 16gb ddr4 3000
PSU: 550w Corsair
Case is a big fucker Corsair Air 540 with dual 140mm fans, space and air cooling will not be a problem.

I know the stock and availability is fucky right now, but I'm looking for suggestions at $300 or lower. I have zero preference between Nvidia and AMD. Budget is pretty firm I have other expenses to worry about.

My only preference is that its manufactured by MSI, they've been great to me over the years. Thanks for any suggestions you can offer.

Action-Bastard fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Nov 29, 2020

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

sean10mm posted:

When in stock the 1660 Super Gaming X from MSI is supposed to go for like $260 I think? Still a good 1080p60 card.

Some dildos try to sell them for $450 or some poo poo but they're usually fairly available at MSRP.

Yeah I'm tracking poo poo via PC Part Picker, 1660 Super was one I was looking at.

Also 5500XT and RX 580. But the 1660S seems to be the better value when its in stock.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Hey Gang,

I'm planning a build for my parents and I'm thinking about doing something special for them. They're typical boomer parents, they just need to browse the internet, use Microsoft office, and answer emails. More specifically their computer is also in a guest room where my mom sleeps because my stepdad snores sometimes, she's complained the computer is too loud (why doesn't she just turn it off? I don't know...). So with that I am thinking about doing a silent build in a small form factor.

This is just an idea for now they're not in a rush to get a new PC but might be something I can surprise them with in a few months. I have a fanless CPU cooler which I imagine will be fine since they won't be putting much strain on the system or running programs bigger than Excel or Chrome, SSD nvme so no hard drive noise, and whatever case fans we get can be set to a low speed. Also trying to keep the budget under $500, again they're not Gamers.

Just looking for tips ideas and suggestions, this list was made with what's showing in stock on PCPP.

CPU: AMD Athlon 3000G 3.5 GHz Dual-Core Processor ($94.64 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Alpine Passive Fanless CPU Cooler ($14.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI B450I GAMING PLUS AC Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard ($119.00 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill NT Series 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-2400 CL15 Memory ($44.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital SN750 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($64.98 @ Amazon)
Case: Thermaltake Core V1 Mini ITX Desktop Case ($55.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA BR 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($38.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $433.56

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Added to the list. Also check the WD750 it's $5 more than the 550 but worth it imo

Added a Silverstone 80+ Gold SFX power supply to the list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

tuyop posted:

I guess I’m just wondering if an intel NUC or a used workstation with some upgraded fans may serve this use case better. You can also schedule it to sleep and start up again for them and that should solve the noise problem.

I have considered a NUC but that might blow their minds too much.

Used workstations aren't as cheap as they used to be thanks to scarcity but also is an option.