Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
So my shitbox finally died and I need a new desktop computer. I'm not sure if I'm into gaming anymore (my old one couldn't run much), but would like to try without diving too deep into the costs. This is how far I've gotten doing my research:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor
As the OP said, doesn't seem to be a better bang for the buck CPU out there, and it holds its own.
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard
As I understand it, a solid mobo for the 3600, which update-ability for the future as well.
Memory: Team T-Force Delta RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
Supposed to work well with the Ryzen 3000s according to Linus Tech Tips.

Storage: Intel 660p Series 1.02 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Been out of the loop. Had no idea SSDs like this with that mounting option existed. Love the space saving, and 1TB SSD for that price. Nice.

Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8 GB SC ULTRA GAMING Video Card
Not sure about what graphics card to get. Planning on going 1440p, but am in no way a heavy "latest AAA graphic hog" player. Not too interested in those titles, and for the more competitive stuff, graphics setting level doesn't matter as much as higher resolution and 144hz. 2060 super seems like an OK card for the money, but there are probably better ones?

Case: NZXT H510 ATX Mid Tower Case
I don't care much for RGB. If it has, I'll probably put it to show white light and leave it. I have a Coolermaster Stacker (yes that huge tower) from like 16 years back, but am really looking to slim down and refresh. The more clean and minimalist, the better.

Power Supply: Cooler Master MWE Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Apparently huge PSU famine now. I have an XFX 550W PSU from like 8-9 years ago that I don't really want to resuse.

Monitor: LG 27GL83A-B 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor
[b]
Alse a placeholder, but been reading up on the LG monitors and if nothing else they look good and seem to be among the market leaders.

Anything that instantly looks wrong, or a good start? The end goal is a PC that can hold its own whenever I play, that is quiet and nice to use for browsing/youtube/movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Mistikman posted:

That's pretty much the recommended across the board.

If you wanted a little more for gaming you could go to a 2070 super, but otherwise it seems pretty solid across the board before you start hitting major diminishing returns.

I don't know anything about that RAM, but it's got all the RGB bullshit if you are into that. There isn't much of a price difference between DDR4-2400 and DDR4-3200, so if it's the same where you are at you might want to go up to 3200.

Those are the only possible changes I would make, you pretty much went with consensus picks, and they are consensus for a reason.

Thanks, that's great to hear. I do not care for RGB bullshit, so I'll be looking for some different ram. I've always had ATi/Amd graphics cards and would like to go nVidia to try, but then I see something like the 5700XT that beats the 2060 super at most games while being at about the same price point. I hear complaints about the lack of good driver (same stuff as 10 years ago in other words). Is AMD graphics card still a bit of gamble, or is the fear overblown? Something like the Powercolor Red Devil looks good.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Mistikman posted:

Corsair makes excellent power supplies, and you can order directly from them. You can order now and it will be shipped out within a week or two.

I got my SF600 that way at the normal price, shipped after about a week.

That's good to hear. I got me a Corsair 80+ Gold PSU for my build.

Thanks to the people who helped a few pages back. Decided that a 5700XT has too much performance gain for the price compared to nVidia that it's worth the risk. Did some research and seems to be fixed now, and a fresh build helps. Also decided to spring for an LG27GL850 as the reviews are pretty great.
I've never had a computer / monitor this nice, so it'll be interesting to see. Building a custom desk as well.