Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

What country are you in? USA
What are you using the system for? Playing video games, but not anything bleeding edge or at the highest settings - being able to hit Medium/High at 1080p/60 FPS is sufficient; Multimedia server for videos for family
What's your budget? 800ish
If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use? N/A
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? Would be hooked up to a 65" Samsung UN65JU6400 TV (3840x2160 resolution, 60 Hz refresh rate)

I'm basically looking to build a "Budget 1080p at 60 FPS" machine from the tiered PC build guide post, but it appears that information is out of date. I'm looking to hook it up to the same 65" 4K TV that all my game systems are hooked up to, which I know isn't ideal per se, but is needed for ease of use by my family for gaming and multimedia uses. I care very little about the level of graphics as long as it will run smooth at 60 FPS, Low/Medium/High are perfectly fine. I'm usually a couple of years behind on PC games anyway, so something that can play stuff like The Witcher 3, Return of the Obra Dinn, Final Fantasy XII, West of Loathing, Stardew Valley, Skyrim, etc. is all that is really necessary. I'm moving from a Lenovo Y40 laptop (last desktop I built was 12 years ago) so anything is going to be a big upgrade.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($114.99 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: XFX Radeon RX 580 8 GB GTS XXX ED Video Card ($159.99 @ B&H)
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400A ATX Mid Tower Case ($77.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair CX (2017) 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $692.92
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-01-27 16:05 EST-0500

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Demostrs posted:

You can use the 1600AF instead of the 2600 to save money and get equivalent power, and then you should probably just get an ASRock Pro4 motherboard. There's also a WD Blue NVMe drive less expensive than that SATA version, and then you can put those savings towards a better PSU.

For a video card, an RX 580 could be acquired for much cheaper on the used market in 2020. Honestly, though, I might think about getting something like an RX 5700 for your use case; you could run many titles in 1440p on your 4K TV and maybe even get away with 4K native in some less demanding titles. If you're planning on eventually getting a cheap 1080p monitor and want to get something new, though, you could just get a GTX 1660 Super.

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: *ASRock B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($74.98 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: XFX Radeon RX 5700 8 GB DD Ultra Video Card ($309.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G1+ 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($96.98 @ Newegg)
Custom: AMD Ryzen​ ​5 1600 (​12​nm) 3.2​ GH​z 6-Co​re P​roces​sor ($85.00)
Total: $809.91
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-01-27 16:49 EST-0500

So just to clarify, I can downgrade the CPU/MB because I don’t need bleeding edge graphics, and the benefit of the better video card is to be able to run at a higher native resolution?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Is the Ryzen 5 1600 the same thing as the aforementioned 1600AF?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Ok, just a few more questions before I pull the trigger:

1) The System Builder says the estimated system wattage is 264W. What is the reason to upgrade to a 650W power supply over a 550W?
2) What's the benefit with going with a 5700 XT over a 5700, and is it something I need to worry about?
3) Is there a different case I should be looking at or that is a favorite around here? I only have the current one selected because that was in the original guide.
4) Anything egregious with the wireless adapter/keyboard/mouse selections?
5) Just wanted to confirm this build will transmit sound to my TV over HDMI, and that I would need to do something special in that regard.

PCPartPicker Part List

Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: XFX Radeon RX 5700 8 GB DD Ultra Video Card ($299.98 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G1+ 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($98.99 @ Amazon)
Wireless Network Adapter: Asus PCE-AC55BT B1 PCIe x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter ($31.31 @ Amazon)
Keyboard: Logitech MK320 Wireless Standard Keyboard With Optical Mouse ($23.99 @ Dell)
Total: $857.21
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-01-28 13:17 EST-0500

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Can anyone tell me if the internal USB port needed by this Wifi Adapter (https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07P61CK87) is present on this motherboard (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FVYKFXF/). The reviews on the B450 with built-in wifi were super sketchy so I'm back to doing an external Wifi/Bluetooth card, but reviews for these types of cards say that connecting to the internal USB port of the motherboard to enable Bluetooth functionality can be problematic.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Fabulousity posted:

Per that motherboard's manual you'll have two internal USB headers located at the bottom of the board. See the diagram on page 7 - The headers in question are numbered 19 and 20.

Beautiful, thank you! Everything bought and on its way!

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungar posted:

Ok, just a few more questions before I pull the trigger:

1) The System Builder says the estimated system wattage is 264W. What is the reason to upgrade to a 650W power supply over a 550W?
2) What's the benefit with going with a 5700 XT over a 5700, and is it something I need to worry about?
3) Is there a different case I should be looking at or that is a favorite around here? I only have the current one selected because that was in the original guide.
4) Anything egregious with the wireless adapter/keyboard/mouse selections?
5) Just wanted to confirm this build will transmit sound to my TV over HDMI, and that I would need to do something special in that regard.

PCPartPicker Part List

Video Card: XFX Radeon RX 5700 8 GB DD Ultra Video Card ($299.98 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G1+ 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($98.99 @ Amazon)
Wireless Network Adapter: Asus PCE-AC55BT B1 PCIe x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter ($31.31 @ Amazon)
Keyboard: Logitech MK320 Wireless Standard Keyboard With Optical Mouse ($23.99 @ Dell)
Total: $857.21
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-01-28 13:17 EST-0500

I bought this system, but this SlickDeal just popped up (https://slickdeals.net/share/iphone_app/fp/537383) with major deals on Ryzen Processors. Do these deals make upgrading from a 1600AF more worth it, and if I did so, what else besides the motherboard would I need to replace?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

My rig is all put together, but it's been over a decade since I did a fresh system install. Anyone have a good guide for the steps I need to take? When I hook up to a monitor, should I hook up directly to the motherboard or to the video card at first? Hook up a keyboard and try to boot to BIOS, does it matter what USB slot I hook the keyboard up to? I've got a Windows install on a USB flash drive, what prep do I need to do on the system be ready to load that?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Stickman posted:

You'll definitely want to start with the monitor hooked up to the video card. The motherboard ports only connect to the CPU's integrated gpu, and if you have a Ryzen processor it won't have one! USB port shouldn't matter for keyboard/mouse, and there's nothing special you need to do to get ready to install Windows. If you have some old drives with data I'd leave them disconnected until Windows is installed, though, just to make absolutely sure that you can't accidentally tell windows to wipe and install on those drives!

Thanks for the response. I'm not getting video output from my Radeon 5700 onto my TV, and as my Motherboard doesn't seem to have any diagnostic LEDs, I'm at a loss as to where to begin debugging this. The Radeon 5700 has 4 ports, DP/HDMI/DP/DP, and I'm currently trying to connect to my TV with an HDMI-to-HDMI connection. Do I need to connect to the first DisplayPort with a DisplayPort-compatible monitor to get this thing set-up initially before I get all the drivers installed?

e: Looks like the 5700 not actually outputting anything on the HDMI port is a common problem, I'll buy a DirectPort-to-HDMI cable and hope that fixes things.

Scruff McGruff posted:

JayzTwoCents just did a video about this part of the process: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYYoCXh2gtw

e: Hey, thanks!

Klungar fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Feb 20, 2020

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Well, my DirectPort cable arrived this morning and I still am not getting anything to display on my TV. What are my first steps to debug this? All the fans turn on, the lights on my case and video card turn on, but no video output. Any way to tell if the motherboard itself is actually working?

e: Does my PSU need to be connected to the ATX 12V Power Connector?

e2: It was this. Got confused by PSU instructions and thought this was only needed if heavily over locking the CPU. That was instructions for connecting a second CPU power source, the first was always needed

Klungar fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Feb 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Telex posted:

is there a functional difference? I'm not using bitlocker, I don't care about remote access, I'm not using it in a corporate environment and I don't see anything on the features that makes any sort of meaningful difference.

You can get a Windows 10 Pro (read, Windows 7) key from SA Mart for $5. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3898368