Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

KingKapalone posted:

Hmm I probably only need 2 TB, but I think 4 is a more common size? I have a whole NAS with about 12TB capacity already.

You can get a 4TB internal drive for like $90. I like the Western Digital Blues, but I don't think there's any real difference between them and the Segates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Fabulousity posted:

I believe it's so you can hook up a second redundant power supply. Odd that the manual says so little about it other to mention that the connector is there.

That would be my guess, but this was the time of power supplies needing multiple rails for different voltages. Might have been necessary to get enough juice for the dual CPU slots and AGP and PCI and ISA.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Shaocaholica posted:

What's a good PC controller for casual driving games? Still an xbox controller? I'm not sure what exactly is out in the market right now. Does MS make a PC specific xbox controller? Is there a first party MS wired controller?

The xbox controller works when plugged in. They do wireless, but you can connect it via its microusb and it'll work.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Huge_Midget posted:

Actually feeling really validated about the Cyberpunk delay. Now I definitely can wait for Zen 3 and the 3000 series Nvidia cards before I build a new machine this fall.

Same April was the wrong time of year to be buying everything new; right before the next generation comes out.

Now we can wait and get gouged on all that 7nm.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Saukkis posted:

We used to have a bunch of computers with Antec Sonata at work. When wearing suitable clothes I could charge myself sitting on my chair, then touch the USB port cover on the Antecs and reliably reboot the computers. I could never figure out how that was possible. The cover was just a chromed plastic part attached to the plastic case front. It had no electrical connection to the USB ports or any other part of the computer.

I'd like someone to test how damaging static can be. For example, zap a RAM stick and test what it takes before it starts producing errors.

If you're getting zapped, the electricity is getting from you to ground via some path. That path just had to cross the right/wrong thing and boom, restart.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Schadenboner posted:

I'll look at the H15, most of the mATX B450s seem to only have two 4-pin fan headers so with Y-cables that's 4 fans which, since I'm not exactly digging for buttcoin, should be more than enough for moving air.

Thank you!

With that case it's less about fans and that the front is mostly solid, so there's little intake. A monolith looks nice, but if there's no mesh, or other holes, you don't get much airflow.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

GunnerJ posted:

Hey here's a question idk where else to ask: What is Intel Optane really for/what makes it worthwhile if anything, and why does Linus like it so much?

Servers where latency matters way more than it does on the desktop, and it's the first step toward having non-volatile storage that's as fast as RAM.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Now that nvidia's 30xx series is official, my 550w power supply doesn't seem like it's going to cut it. Are the seasonic focus pluses the goto recommendation? My main requirements are fully modular and, well that's it.

I apologize if this question has already been asked repeatedly, but I haven't been keeping up with the thread.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

Since I'm in the same theoretical boat (1070 to 3080) I've got an i7 6700k in my machine. How much would that limit me.

I'm also in that boat and it appears that you won't get the full jump, but it's still a very significant upgrade.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

vanilla slimfast posted:

Fractal Designs just released an updated version of the Meshify C called the Meshify 2 (not to be confused with the S2) which might address some of those aesthetics for you - https://www.fractal-design.com/products/cases/meshify/meshify-2/black/

From what I've read, the chipset fan on X570 boards can be noisy due to its small size, but I don't know how much of a problem that actually is. For me, the ability of BIOS Flashback was enough of a reason to go for the B550 as I was doing a new build with a Zen3 chip with no access to an older CPU to use to flash the mobo.

Just so we're comparing apples to apples, the Meshify 2 is much larger than the C and almost identical to the S2 in size. I've been looking at these myself for a while and at the moment, you have to choose between size and getting more modern features like a front USB-C.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

zeldadude posted:

I don't believe mine is on there (AOC 24G2), but now I'm thinking, as long as my new rig does a stable 144+ hz, it shouldn't matter too much right?

Edit: alright I've been doing some reading and I'm kind of confused. I think I can enable adaptive sync on display port?

That is a list of the confirmed gsync compatable displays. You can turn gsync on, but it may not work, or work incorrectly. That list is just what nvidia is saying will work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Stroop There It Is posted:

Just don't cut yourself somehow on the motherboard. Then you're golden.

(I was sober when this happened. I still don't know how I managed to do that.)

Cases are better than they used to be, but new builds still require blood sacrifice.