Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

If I am eyeing a 3060 and R5 5600X system would there be much benefit to buying other components now compared to later when the supply is available? Is there any expectation that the demand will stop being so frenzied and prices will be better in a couple months?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

So if one were going to start trying to get their hands on a 3060/3070 are there any brands or models that should be avoided or any to aim for assuming one isn't desperate to get RTX right away? I see on pcpartpicker some brands I don't recognize at all and have not seen much on how much of a difference OC versions actually make and so on.

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

I managed to snag a 5600X from newegg which I plan to pair with a 3070 or 3060 whenever that happens. Are there any 'baseline' recommendations for parts on this level before I go down the rabbit hole of reviews? I am not up to date on things like which manufacturers are considered reliable, etc.

I already have SSDs that I can move over to this new box but none are NVMe. Are far as I can tell performance for games would not really improve compared to the SATA I already have, is this correct?

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

Boxman posted:

I think I have something in my post history for this, please hold.

Edit: here we go (assuming I’m understanding you right and you’re asking about video card manufacturers)
Was more of a general question as I tend to not pay attention to brands between builds and sometimes who is quality has changed over time though I assume if it is a name brand and not a cheap model it will usually be ok. Sometimes there is just a model of something that is just a good deal too. For video card I was already looking at evga or asus so mainly I would like to know about mobo, AIO coolers, and PSU manufacturers. Seemed a better question than putting up a part list.

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

How much of a difference does 3200 mhz vs 3600 and optimized for intel/ryzen labels on RAM make? I see the Ryzen 5600X specsheet lists 3200 and the motherboards list 3200 and some other speeds for OC but not 3600. It looks like "optimized" is mostly marketing for if it was tested and has XMP profiles. Is this correct so far? Without overclocking is there a point to more than 3200?

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

sean10mm posted:

For AMD 3600 CL16 is the best bang for the buck in terms of gaining performance from just plugging in faster ram and turning on XMP. The gains aren't amazing but the markup also isn't that much.

The problem with going higher than that is a) the markup in memory price can get stupid, and b) the memory controller can't run 1:1 with ram over 3800 reliably anyway.

Some dope said 4000 was the ideal for Zen 3, but then it turned out that Zen 3 memory controller still won't reliably run 1:1 with anything over 3800 so that's BS basically. Some individual CPUs/mobos can do it but it's not something you can just plug and play at all.

You can go down a memory hole of manually overclocking ram based on messing with 24 different values in the BIOS or whatever, but for normal humans that's not remotely worth it.
I think I saw the 4000 thing somewhere and I assumed it was probably something that was only reliable with manual fiddling and not worth the effort. I was looking at 3600, looks to be roughly $160 for 32GB compared to $130-140 for 3200.
I saw this specific kind recommended a couple places Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz DDR4 though I can't tell if it is just for ability to go >3600 but its same price as everything else?

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

Getting closer to a build that I'm sure won't be in stock for months.
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor (Already have)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($89.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PRO (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard ($219.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory
Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 2 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($199.99 @ Adorama)
Video Card: Asus GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB TUF GAMING OC Video Card (MSRP $560)
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P600S ATX Mid Tower Case ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($119.99 @ Best Buy)
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-12-26 20:31 EST-0500

1. I really would like a case with filters. Any other suggestions to look at? I was looking at some Fractal too.
2. Is it worth replacing the case fans with better ones? If so any recommendations?
3. Is the PSU powerful enough/quality for this build?
4. The RAM seems to be used a lot in AMD builds but isnt on their compatibility list, is there anything to watch out for?

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

vanilla slimfast posted:

As another poster said, the fractal designs cases are really nice. The meshify C has removable dust filters on the front, bottom, and top. It comes with two 120mm fans, but it can take 2x140 in the front while still fitting a full size GPU up to 310mm I believe. I’ve got this configuration in mine with a 3070 Gigabyte GPU without issue.

Noctua is the fan brand recommended around here, although they are having some high demand issues similar to other parts so watch out for scalpers. I’m using 2x140 intake and 1x120 exhaust Noctua redux fans in my meshify build. I’m hanging onto the fans that came with the case as spares for now

RAM should be fine. QVL is just what the mobo manufacturer explicitly tested, but as long as the timings are good and it’s a reputable brand it will be fine. 3600 CL16 seems to be the sweet spot for Zen3 right now

Only thing I would suggest for your build is considering a B550 board over an X570. Unless you expect to need to run two NVMe drives at PCIe 4.0 (unlikely), the B550 boards are a much better value prop, and they don’t have a chipset fan.
In addition to the Phanteks I am looking at the Meshify C and S2. Not a fan of the knobs for the glass on the C but I don't know if it bothers me another $80 worth.

Going to a B550 does seem like good value, about $40 less. However that looks like the loss of bluetooth and front panel USB C outside of the higher cost boards. Those are far from deal breakers for me but it made me wonder how big a deal the chipset fan is.

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

vanilla slimfast posted:

Fractal Designs just released an updated version of the Meshify C called the Meshify 2 (not to be confused with the S2) which might address some of those aesthetics for you - https://www.fractal-design.com/products/cases/meshify/meshify-2/black/

From what I've read, the chipset fan on X570 boards can be noisy due to its small size, but I don't know how much of a problem that actually is. For me, the ability of BIOS Flashback was enough of a reason to go for the B550 as I was doing a new build with a Zen3 chip with no access to an older CPU to use to flash the mobo.
The Meshify 2 does seem more like what I am looking for. I think the reason I overlooked it is it is out of stock or not even sold everywhere I look. Is it just newer and there isn't much stock over here yet? Since it is hard to tell in pictures how much darker is Fractal's dark tinted glass than the regular?

Updating with B550, I guess I can get a PCIe card if I really need the usb c or bluetooth?
PCPartPicker Part List
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($89.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING B550-PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard ($168.00 @ B&H)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory
Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 2 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($199.99 @ Adorama)
Video Card: Asus GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB TUF GAMING OC Video Card ($811.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify 2 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($119.99 @ Best Buy)
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-12-27 17:07 EST-0500
Assuming a Meshify 2 I would probably put the 3 fans it comes with intake up front and get an rgb one at the back exhaust.

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

vanilla slimfast posted:

The meshify 2 is brand new so it seems supply might still be limited.

I can confirm that the dark tint glass on fractal design cases is very dark. You won’t really see anything inside unless it’s lit up and even then it will be subdued. So not the best choice if you are going for some RGB blinged-out monstrosity, but great if you are old and lame like me.

For the mobo, there is a WiFi variant of the TUF Gaming Plus, which I believe includes Bluetooth as well, which would save you from having to get a separate dongle: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/All-series/TUF-GAMING-B550-PLUS-WI-FI/
I don't want a blinged out monstrosity but I also don't want to have to have bright lights to see either so I guess I will just see what comes in stock.

I did look at that wifi version but I do not see bluetooth on the spec page at all so I don't think the B550 version has it. Would be happy to be wrong though.

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

Fauxtool posted:

its basically ungettable even for hardcore botters.

The 3070 however is pretty available.
What do you base this on? 3070s are always instantly out of stock like the 3080 unless you want to pay $900 for one.

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

Does Asus Aura Sync on a motherboard eliminate the need for a separate controller for ARGB fans or are there kinds that you need two separate systems to control everything? Can one control the other or did companies make their own ecosystems? Most I have found seem to require a proprietary controller/software but a few seem to say they are Aura compatible but not many. I tried to find Asus' list but it 404s. I was thinking of getting 1-2 140s but adding an extra $70 for a controller is a bit much.

In either case I assume ARGB won't work with the fan hub that comes in a Meshify 2.
By the way the Meshify 2 just came back in stock today on Newegg in case anyone was looking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

I have this mobo https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/TUF-GAMING-B550-PLUS/ with a 3 pin Aura Addressable Gen 2 header and 2x RGB headers. I have a fan that has a connector that looks like one of these

Is it supposed to connect to the 3 pin ARGB on the mobo or something else? It says connect to header on motherboard but it doesn't look right and google gives me a lot of people trying to plug into 4 pin which isn't what I am trying to do.