Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

What model are your current SSDs? If they’re long in the tooth, you can go basically SATA free and snag a M.2 NVMe drive for the mobo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Stickman posted:

Unfortunately, the Meshify C (and most smaller cases) don't have front panels any more. You'd need to pick a case with ODD bays. A usb-c hub or extension cable affixed to your desk or the top of the computer with velcro or magnets would have the same functionality, though!

That's my one complaint about the Meshify C and similar... I like my 5.25" card reader / peripheral bays!

I can't let go of the late 90s/early 00s 5.25" bay accessories.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I jumped right to the 3900X for a few boxes at work when it first launched, the cores are helpful for Linux / Buildroot builds where that job is very parallelizable. Also, for work, so budget constraints are a bit different.

I'd imagine for home use, it's just a price/performance thing where other chips hit a better sweet spot.

e: also, I mean, it's an extra $100 for 4 more cores/threads and virtually the same clocks as well...

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Bigger, slower fans are the path to less noise!

In general, for killing noise, have less fans, and to have less fans, go for bigger fans, and bigger fans don't have to spin as fast.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

MikeC posted:

Ah, the 2500k. What a legendary CPU.

The way you are approaching this issue makes me feel like you are one of those "buy it and forget it" types. Shell out the extra dough for the 3700X. The GPU swap will be much easier than a CPU swap down the line if/when the 3600 doesn't hold up. If I am wrong and you aren't worried about getting a new CPU slotted in if the 3600 starts struggling in a couple of years time, then go ahead and grab the 3600 deal.

I don't regret at all springing for the 2600K over the 2500K when I built for kind of that reason; it was a lucky time to benefit from a giant uArch leap, and the consoles of the time didn't blow the door open on gaming performance until recently. All I upgraded was maxing to 32GB of RAM maybe a year or two later, and then GPUs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Xachariah posted:

So before I pull the trigger I was just looking into AM4 motherboards and despite a lot of research I still have no concrete idea of what I'm looking for. I just see ELITE BOMB MPG PRIME STRIX CAPSLOCK
PRO PLUS. It just makes me go what the gently caress... Am I buying a PC motherboard or an pre-workout energy drink for frat boys?

I gather I want at least a B550 or an X570 ATX. Apart from that, how the gently caress do you choose between them?

I like AnandTech's breakdowns when they review families of motherboards, and guide you based on key differentiators. Here are a few things that would cause you to choose between otherwise identical looking mobos, assuming all are the same form factor:

* More on-board peripherals (Wi-Fi, 2.5 Gb / 10 Gb NICs)
* More x1 or x16 Slots / different configurations of PCIe slots
* Power delivery solution (fuckloads of phases vs. reference designs)
* Cosmetic (poo poo loads of LEDs?!?!)

Personally, I always build with ASUS and they at least have a little bit of rhyme and reason to what they segment too. PRIME is what I would get today as it's the most "reasonable" workstation type product without being their actual WS product, doesn't have too many gamer LEDs, still a robust power solution, and not a lot of extra fills (I do not want a Wifi card in my desktop).