Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
As a general statement is it fair to say the 5800x is fine but isn’t the min/max option. I have a 3570k/970 that is struggling to run a game and play a YouTube video on chrome at the same time.

I would like to buy a new system at about 2k cad that could realistically run a 55 LGCX and would reach cpu end of life in 6 years.

Does anyone have a parts picker link for guidance? I have an rough idea where the value line is for most parts except the motherboard. I don’t need wifi or over clocking. And nothing I own at the moment uses USB C but that is the trend so it may be nice to have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

sean10mm posted:

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/jPYH99

This might help, it has my most recent PC build with reviews of all the parts and notes for alternatives to bring the price down in certain areas if you want.

Isn't that a 4K screen? If so you want an RTX 3080 for sure instead of the 3070 I got for 1080p/1440p.

Definitely eyeing the 3080 (if it was ever in stock). The 970 I currently have chugs and I have been putting off playing new games on my current 1440p screen because if fire related concerns.

Edit: sorry realize now you were talking about the 3070 on the parts picker list

MasterBuilder fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Nov 24, 2020

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
[PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black 82.51 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING B550-PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard ($223.55 @ iSanek)
Memory: Patriot Viper Steel 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-4000 CL19 Memory
Case: Corsair 400R ATX Mid Tower Case

Would a kind soul look over these parts for any glaring problems. Prices below because the picker wasn't getting prices.

The RAM is stupid overkill. I think I've been watching too much buildzoid/ram reviews and it's warped everything. It was only 130CAD so it's like 20 dollars more expensive than 3200GHz Cl16.

I would have prefered the aorus pro but stock so the asus tuf seems like a comparable board.

Reusing my gtx970/550W psu until 3080 stock normalizes at which point I'll get a new psu as well.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
Yeah. But the plan was to try lowering speeds and tighten timings. Dumb maybe but I am about to start 3 weeks vacation so I will have time to gently caress around with things.

PSU is old. tx550m 8 years at this point but I haven't had any issue with it and total power with the 970 is 350 so there is good headroom even with degradation.

edit:
The noctua was a hard compromise because the 2 fan was 360CAD on amazon vs the 1 fan for 110CAD. Which is still expensive but if I need to get a another fan that is fairly easy.

MasterBuilder fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Dec 5, 2020

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

spunkshui posted:

Do you need a ton of hard drive bays and 5.25 bays?

Newer cases dumped that stuff for better fan airflow.

CORSAIR 4000D AIRFLOW is cheap but you need to buy it 3 more fans imo. Use the 2 included fans as exhaust and get 3 intake fans.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/corsai...wE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Or go for something like a meshify C or P500A and buy whatever fans it takes to get to 3 in, 2 out.

https://www.newegg.com/black-fracta...wE&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?N=100006519&d=Phanteks%20Eclipse%20P500A

The case is from my current system. Once I get all the pats for the new system I'll get a meshify C or the 4000d(? I think that's the right)

sean10mm posted:

That 360 CAD is a scalper selling through amazon, the real price of the D15 is barely more than the D15S.

A moot point now because that's the only part I actually have in hand at the moment

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
My 5800x with a NH-D15s the ran cinebench with a max temp of 80C (Ambient 21-22C) with similar 15000 multi score (boost to 4800). The big caveat with this is my corsair 400r is a huge case and the front fans have a weird retaining clip that would make it an absolute pain in the rear end to declip from the mother board so are plugged into molex and run at 1000 rpm constantly. I'm undecided if it's actually quiet or that I've mentally tuned it out.

Idle is 10C over ambient

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
edit: double