Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

A friend linked this thread, I've read the OP information but little else in the thread.

Background: I have never built a computer, I am not the most technologically savvy person but I have upgraded my tower's memory, graphics card and replaced the Power Supply before. I have currently backed up everything on an external hard drive that's been formatted and I would like to keep my information if possible. The external hard drive is new and was upgraded upon this computer starting to show signs of imminent death. Sometimes it refuses to boot due to what appears to be the motherboard failing, overheating and other various issues that pop up from time to time. This machine is just a hair over 8 years old so I am looking to build something over upgrading.

What country are you in? USA

What are you using the system for? I would like this to be a tower primarily for gaming, listening to podcasts and watching videos while gaming and doing some illustration on, with importance in that order.

What's your budget? I have a relatively new keyboard and mouse that I like. My current monitor is old as poo poo and has a bunch of broken pixels but still works, so I'm hesitant to replace it. I would like to have a cap at $850 USD but will go a hair above 900 if needed. I'm definitely using stimulus money for this and the rest of it went to replacing essentials.

If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? Current old monitor is 1680x1050, the refresh rate is showing at just a hair under 60Hz. The cord needed is DVI. I would like the graphics to be able to run smoothly, but 'as fast as possible' and 'as pretty as possible' are not high priorities. I would like to play Monster Hunter with my friends, essentially! I would LOVE to have a double-monitor setup like I did many years ago but I don't think that's in the cards anytime soon.

Another problem I have had over the years is overheating. I live in the desert so during the summer the computer tends to run hot and I don't want to fry another computer like I did in high school trying to make it work through that. A good cooling system is a must, it can be as simple as some well placed fans or a complex network of whatever just as long as it's in my price range. I know this might be a big ask. I am also not interested in overclocking if I can help it.

I spent a fair amount of time on Newegg and PCpartpicker yesterday in order to try to figure out what was good and affordable, but the only willing contact I had is my ornery old uncle who basically told me to use the money to buy something already built. While I'm extremely frustrated and am tempted to do that the whole point of this exercise was to build my own computer for the first time. I can get it to 'compatible' but evidently there are smaller issues with what I am picking out that it's not detecting. When I asked about these issues for the most part the jargon went over my head.

So I hate to be an idiot but I am trying to learn and it feels like a bit of a wall. May I please get some assistance?

Here are my current specs thanks to Speccy

Operating System
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
CPU
Intel Core i5 2500K @ 3.30GHz 38 °C
Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology
RAM
8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK Computer INC. P8H61-M LX2 (LGA1155) 64 °C
Graphics
SyncMaster (1680x1050@59Hz)
2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030 (Gigabyte) 31 °C
Storage
931GB Seagate ST1000DX002-2DV162 ATA Device (SATA ) 34 °C
Optical Drives
ATAPI iHAS124 B ATA Device
Audio
NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device (Wave Extensible) (WDM)

I got a new video card last November in an attempt to upgrade this machine to play Monster Hunter, which barely worked. If I can use the graphic's card I bought relatively recently that would be great, but I understand if it's already obsolete. Here is what I ended up looking at at the end of yesterday from PCpartpicker, but I'm not confident that it will work or suit my needs.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($157.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Deepcool GAMMAXX 400 Blue 74.34 CFM CPU Cooler ($28.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450M DS3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($72.99 @ Best Buy)
Memory: G.Skill Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($64.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($58.98 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GT 1030 2 GB Low Profile Video Card ($79.49 @ B&H)
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase H500 ATX Mid Tower Case ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($127.98 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($108.78 @ Other World Computing)
Total: $820.17
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-05-23 15:27 EDT-0400

I am going in completely new and am most worried about things not working together properly (frying, bottlenecks, all that fun stuff) and getting an OS on the new machine, since I've never installed one before. Any help is appreciated, even if it's just goons echoing my uncle's advice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

demostars posted:

It looks like the Tomahawk MAX is out of stock at Best Buy and everywhere else; probably would substitute it with a Gigabyte Aorus M or MSI Pro VDH MAX while it's gone.

Also, while I've seen EVGA include DVI connectors on upper-end Turing cards for modern options, you can always get an HDMI to DVI cable for cards that lack a port for it.

E: If you wanted to get a card now and not wait for Ampere/RDNA2 cards to release, a 1660 Super would fit into your budget and would run pretty much any game you want at 1680×1050. Plus, native DVI port so you don't have to buy a new cable! (That EVGA one was backordered and the MSI one doesn't have a port)

Klyith posted:

The 1030 video card is gonna be a problem for Monster Hunter, it just isn't a gaming card. It can handle games that make large efforts to be playable on any machine possible (think WoW, Overwatch, Fortnite, stuff that's going for max possible audience). But for games, even console ports, that target more visuals it doesn't cut it.

With your budget, something like this is decent and under your budget:
PCPartPicker Part List

MikeC posted:

PCPartPicker Part List

Tweaked list. Added a decent budget airflow case. Dropped the cooler since the stock AMD cooler works just fine if only a bit loud. Added in a cheap 500mb SSD drive to boot off of and to put some games on. Turned the power supply into a 450 W which is cheaper. You don't need 650w at all. Dropped the windows 10. Buy windows from goons on goonmart. It is safe and they work at a fraction of the cost. (20 bucks or so). https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3768345 I got mine from this guy. Prompt delivery no funny business.

I don't know how to address your Video card situation. I don't know of any cards that even have a DVI port anymore. but the 1030 as you say can't run much of anything anymore.
Wow already some great feedback, thanks so much! Definitely will check out the goonstore for the OS. I'm fine with buying a converter cable (or even a new monitor if I'm saving this much money) so I'm not super worried about the DVI problem. Good to know that I can't use the current graphics card, like I said I'm not savvy and this buy was a huge upgrade for me but I am not sure on how to find something that meets the requirements I need.

Ideally I'd like to start buying parts sooner rather than later, as I don't know when this machine will finally die. Is it better to buy everything at once or piecemeal once I figure out which parts I am going to buy? Any other general newbie advice, like where to get the special cooling adhesive that I need for one of the parts (I think it's for the CPU?)

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Klyith posted:

It's better to buy everything more or less at once, so that if anything is DOA you figure it out while you're in the return window. That's kinda difficult just now as People in countries with stronger consumer protection laws can ignore this.

The thermal paste (*not* an adhesive) comes with the cooler. Some coolers have a square of goop pre-applied on the bottom of the cooler. Others come with a tiny one-use syringe or packet. The deepcool gammax is the latter. So you don't need to get any extra paste for the first assembly.

Oh okay! Thank you so much for the answers and clarification! So the go-to plan is to wait until mid-week to make sure things are available and buy it all at once. I'll see if I can wait a small spell because I think I read that prices have gone up due to demand recently but I'm not sure the situation will improve before this computer kicks it. Is there a best day to shop for these parts?

Chaosfeather fucked around with this message at 22:34 on May 23, 2020

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Hey PC thread, I'm back. Honestly I haven't checked this thread in a good 2k posts so perhaps this has been mentioned already, I am sorry.

I preordered the AMD Ryzen 3 3300X 3.8 GHz Quad-Core AM4 Processor way back when and still haven't gotten it. Contacting B&H I was told that the production on it was stopped for a while and they get a shipment of mayyybe 50-60 right now a month and I'm a good 200+ people behind in the order right now, and the soonest I would get it is probably November.

I've managed to keep my machine limping along in hopes that I could stall for time and the other parts recommended by the thread were grabbed in my naive thought that I was going to get this sooner. They've been sitting in my room for months now and I really just want to build this thing.

With a budget of 200 max what is the best thing to swap for this? I know it was a good price and it's supposed to be excellent but I simply can't wait several more months to replace my nigh-dead computer at this point. Please advise.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

sean10mm posted:

3600 for like $189.

Perfect, thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

I know it was forever ago but you folks helped me build my first tower and it runs like a dream! No parts fried and only met the 'didn't turn on, what the christ" moment once. Thanks for the help.