Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lollybo
Dec 29, 2008
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($252.97 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus GRYPHON Z97 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($135.08 @ Amazon)
Storage: Intel 730 Series 480 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($570.00 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1070 8 GB Video Card ($635.00 @ Amazon)
Case: Silverstone TJ08B-E MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($149.99 @ B&H)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($128.45 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $2036.47
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-29 18:54 EST-0500

I live in the United States and use the computer for gaming and photo editing. I have had the above system for about 5 years and it has served me pretty well but feel it is time for an upgrade. I am hoping to spend about 600 dollars to at least get a more recent processor, ram, and PCIe SSD for fast photo editing and boot up times. I also would like to be able to play death stranding, Cyberpunk when it comes out on very high or ultra settings, I primarily game on 4k but am okay with lowering the resolution to 1440p if needed. I also own an Oculus rift and do enjoy VR gaming from time to time.

I wonder if I should just get a PCIE SSD and an adapter and hold off for a while, but my CPU generation is fairly old and upgrading to Ryzen may get me a lot snappier performance. I think it would be very nice to have USB compatibility on the mobo and case if able as I use apple for everything else but can't justify the price of their desktops.

lollybo fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Nov 30, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lollybo
Dec 29, 2008
Saw amazon deal for 2700x for 160, not nearly as hot as deal for 130 at micro center but I figured I would buy it and sell the game and 3 months of Xbox live. What mobo and ram would you recommend? Would like to get an M2 SSD. I prefer Micro atx towers. I have an old 1070 blower that I feel could be reused and decent- I mostly do photo editing but would like to play cyberpunk when it comes out

lollybo
Dec 29, 2008

Stickman posted:

The 2700x is a little tricky because it has a decent amount of overclocking headroom (which you can mostly cover with auto-overclocking via Precision Boost Overdrive), but it requires quite a bit of power to do so. It's still a fine cpu without overclocking, but if you want that extra 10% performance boost for high-refresh gaming you'd really want a board with VRM at least as good as the B450 Tomahawk. The only mATX boards that fit the bill are the MSi B450 Mortar and Bazooka Plus, neither of which are available in America, or the ASrock X570 which is $160. If you don't care about overclocking, a ASrock B450m Pro4 would be good enough for stock, or a Steel Legend if you want an extra SATA-only M.2 slot and your case has decent airflow.

This G.Skill 16GB 3200 ram kit is on the compatibility list for all of the B450/X470/X570 motherboard options and is probably the best deal for a compatible kit. There are kits in other colors as well, but you'd want to very compatibility by looking up their model number on G.Skill's website.

Thanks for the detailed post. I bought the ram listed. It looks like a lot of folks are shifting to Mini ITX cases. Are there any mini ITX boards that would be a good option? I would need a slot for an M2 SSD.

lollybo
Dec 29, 2008

Stickman posted:

The Asus B450i is the best bet and actually has two M.2 slots, but it seems to be out of stock at it's usual price ($140). The ASRock B450 gaming itx would work for stock, but it has the same problem as the Pro4 when it comes to gaming. MSi's B450i Gaming Plus AC has excellent power management, but is lacking in other areas (no Gen 2 USB 3.1 ports or type-c ports, the onboard audio is a bit worse). The X570 itx boards are all good and come with two M.2 slots, but are all $200+.

Thanks, great list. So if not planning on overclocking Asrock’s weaker VRM should be okay? It seems like the others are sold out, the 3 star Newegg reveals make me hesitant otherwise would have pulled the trigger. Ideally the Asus ROG or the MSI one would be perfect for my needs but think they have been snatched by the folks who bought the 2700x micro center deal, prices on the Asus are inflated to 100 plus after MSRP. If II do plan on overclocking is the stock wraith cooler sufficient?

lollybo
Dec 29, 2008
Would a 450w psu be okay for a gamer who likes to overclock? Pretty much bought everything except for the psu- plugged the parts into pc part builder, included a 2700x, recycled my old 107gtx, 1tb NVMe, 8 tb ssd, came out to about 350 watts, but that didn’t include the case fans. If I overclock, upgrade the gpu or cpu could I be cutting it close? I have been thinking of the 450w Seasonic SFX-L one, it has a gold rating, as the 600w one is more expensive.

lollybo
Dec 29, 2008
I shucked one of those western digital easystore 8tb drives- ends up I got a WD “white label” which is supposed to be a WD red drive with an updated SATA connection that makes it not compatible with some older psus (there is a clever workaround with putting tape over one of the SATA connector pins). My question is if I am doing a new build with a Seasonic focus sgx 650w psu, would I be affected and have to perform this simple mod or would it work out of the box?

lollybo
Dec 29, 2008
I am going to go with the Lian Li TU 150x ITX case as it is made of aluminum and really sexy. It has 2 USB type A connectors and 1 USB type C connector. I have realized my mobo (ASUS ROG Strix b450i strix ITX board) only has 2 USB type A headers on the motherboard. That means I can connect the 2 USB type A headers but my USB type C header would be unusable. Now, this mobo also is one of the few ITX boards with two M2 slots (though using the second slot may slow down the PCIE slot). I am wondering if there is any way I can salvage the USB type C port to make it useable? A converter for one header and splitter for second maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lollybo
Dec 29, 2008

Stickman posted:

Apparently Deklock has an M.2 -> USB Type-E header converter, but I have no idea how to purchase things from them :/

I am going to get this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WG8ZJ41/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 to convert the USB 3.1 header to USB 3.2 gen 2.

And I am going to get this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EOI3VC8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 to convert the USB 3.1 cable from the case to use the remaining USB 2.0 header on the mobo.

Products seemed to get good reviews so hoping this works out